ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at Texas

I am a fan of Brown in general but it was just plain dumb not to kick the field goal there. And I was saying that in my living room before the 4th down play failed.

Brown--like Holgorsen--has been aggressive on fourth downs since his arrival in Morgantown. He should have called a bubble screen, as Texas' back seven can't tackle, and it's worked all day.

Bubble screens don't really work when the Safties are near in the LOS.

Those are plays between the 20's.
But not near the goal line

Crappy pass. Give your receiver a chance to catch it. It was so far away from the receiver that you weren't going to get a PI call. But, should have kicked the FG on the previous possession and wouldn't have had to go for it on 4th down this time.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Bubble screens don't really work when the Safties are near in the LOS.

Those are plays between the 20's.
But not near the goal line
Wrong. Texas' defensive backs get blocked easily and don't tackle well regardless of where they line up. They've been roasted on bubble screens all day.

Game over.

Fans will focus on the three "rob" calls but 1 TD out of 5 red zone possessions lost this game. Oh well. This team deserved to lose it like this anyway.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Wrong. Texas' defensive backs get blocked easily and don't tackle well regardless of where they line up. They've been roasted on bubble screens all day.

Your football IQ is next to zero

When you are close to the goal line you don't have the advantage with the numbers because of the Safties

Drop a sure TD pass in the end zone (costs us 4 points), don't take sure chip-shot FG (costs us 3 points), not able to take chip-shot FG on last possession (costs 3 more points). Score should be WVU 23, Texas 17. A drop and dumb coaching decision made a big difference. Gave that one away.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Your football IQ is next to zero

When you are close to the goal line you don't have the advantage with the numbers because of the Safties
Your IQ about everything is ZERO, Chrissy. When you only need a yard, it will work because of Texas' hapless secondary. I've never seen defensive backs so easily blocked by wide receivers and bad at tackling. Taking candy from a baby. Neither of the fourth down plays worked, by the way.

When you have the numbers advantage...

But near the goal line you don't unless you show the ability to run the ball

Those are horrible plays to run inside the 10

Unless you have a numbers advantage.

But because of the inability to run the ball the Safties stayed over the top

We had way too many chances that we didn't take advantage of. Our defense is great and just a little consistency on offense would've made the difference against Texas and OSU.

You don't need a numbers advantage when your receivers are able to bully Texas' defensive backs, as they were doing all day. Only a yard was needed there, not a touchdown, and virtually every bubble screen produced positive yardage.

Screwed by the stripes on A TD, backward pass that was a pitch, and PI in the end zone. Doesn't mean Texas would not have still beaten us but we got hosed. Not to mention the rape of our D-line.

PI, pitch fumble and TD. Your teammates the stripes did just enough. Similar to when you played Texas Tech and OSU.

Bottom line is this team is the textbook definition of mediocre.

Wright is the only player who can make an explosive play, the rest of the skill-position guys are pedestrian, probably more suited for low-level Division I instead of a Power5 program. Every pass that hits a receiver in the hands, it's 50-50 if they will catch it.

Brown is the only RB we have and he's apparently hobbled.

The QB is highly inaccurate. He throws punts for deep passes, doesn't have a strong enough arm to throw into tight windows and is no threat to run.

The defense plays hard. Tackling is an issue at times, but that's a trouble spot for all but about 3 teams in the country.

There is no identity to this team, especially on offense, which makes it really hard to watch. There is a glaring lack of speed and playmakers on offense. It's a shame that we are wasting years with the Stills Brothers and a defense that actually can get a stop or two because we have nobody who can make plays on offense.

You don't need a numbers advantage when your receivers are able to bully Texas' defensive backs, as they were doing all day. Only a yard was needed there, not a touchdown, and virtually every bubble screen produced positive yardage.

Because there was a numbers advantage

We are talking about simple spread football...

You go where you have the advantage in numbers.

None of the other stuff you are saying matters.
You go where you have more guys than the defense

Bottom line is this team is the textbook definition of mediocre.

Wright is the only player who can make an explosive play, the rest of the skill-position guys are pedestrian, probably more suited for low-level Division I instead of a Power5 program. Every pass that hits a receiver in the hands, it's 50-50 if they will catch it.

Brown is the only RB we have and he's apparently hobbled.

The QB is highly inaccurate. He throws punts for deep passes, doesn't have a strong enough arm to throw into tight windows and is no threat to run.

The defense plays hard. Tackling is an issue at times, but that's a trouble spot for all but about 3 teams in the country.

There is no identity to this team, especially on offense, which makes it really hard to watch. There is a glaring lack of speed and playmakers on offense. It's a shame that we are wasting years with the Stills Brothers and a defense that actually can get a stop or two because we have nobody who can make plays on offense.

No, the coach is mediocre. You take the points with 11 minutes left in the game....bottom line. They could have then kicked another field goal and been up by 2........wasn't the refs....got to make better decisions

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I am a fan of Brown in general but it was just plain dumb not to kick the field goal there. And I was saying that in my living room before the 4th down play failed.

Yes I would have kicked both FG. But Texas still had over 5 minutes to where Ehlinger can drive for the win. He's done it all year.

No, the coach is mediocre. You take the points with 11 minutes left in the game....bottom line. They could have then kicked another field goal and been up by 2........wasn't the refs....got to make better decisions

Be nice if the officials made better decisions that took a TD away, a fumble away, and a no call in endzone.

Because there was a numbers advantage

We are talking about simple spread football...

You go where you have the advantage in numbers.

None of the other stuff you are saying matters.
You go where you have more guys than the defense
You're a broken record posting the same stupid sh!t, over and over, TVZ. WVU's receivers manhandled Texas' defensive backs with blocks out wide one-on-one on bubble screens. No numbers advantage is needed when you are able to bully your opponent, one-on-one. I posted before the play that the bubble screen was the right call at the 16 yard line, but you're here making excuses after-the-fact for lower percentage plays that didn't work.

PI, pitch fumble and TD. Your teammates the stripes did just enough. Similar to when you played Texas Tech and OSU.

WVU had to jump on Texas.

The problem is that even if they scored Ehlinger would have found his way in the end zone

But WVU never put pressure on him.
They had to force Ehlinger into mistakes. He had complete control the entire game.

The guy is injured right now..

Because of that WVU had a chance to win the game if they forced him to score TDs

I'd like to personally thank the Stills brothers for opening my eyes this summer.

I now know how so many of the players on the team genuinely view me simply for the values I hold and for other things beyond my control. I extend the good graces they afford me back to them, and it makes losses like this SOOOO much easier.

You're a broken record posting the same stupid sh!t, over and over, TVZ. WVU's receivers manhandled Texas' defensive backs with blocks out wide one-on-one on bubble screens. No numbers advantage is needed when you are able to bully your opponent, one-on-one. I posted before the play that the bubble screen was the right call at the 16 yard line, but you're here making excuses after-the-fact for lower percentage plays that didn't work.

The safety was over the top so it wasn't an one on one play anymore

You sound clueless about football

If they had that advantage Doege would have made the throw

Even if they convert that 4th and 1 they're probably on the 15 yard line or so and still may not score a TD on that drive. That's another reason they should have kicked it. Going for the second 4th down made sense since they were inside the 10 and since there was less time to go in the game, but going for the first 4th down was dumb.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Even if they convert that 4th and 1 they're probably on the 15 yard line or so and still may not score a TD on that drive. That's another reason they should have kicked it. Going for the second 4th down made sense since they were inside the 10 and since there was less time to go in the game, but going for the first 4th down was dumb.
A field goal would have made sense there, but after Brown had called time out, and it was clear that he was going to go for it, I thought that a bubble screen would have been the best call because it had worked all game regardless of where they had been on the field.

Best call is based on the defense and not because of what has worked...

It worked because of a numbers advantage

Doege can change the play at the LOS based on what he sees.

If he saw a numbers advantage on the outside they would have ran that play

The safety was over the top so it wasn't an one on one play anymore

You sound clueless about football

If they had that advantage Doege would have made the throw
Wrong again, and posting the same thing over and over will never make bubble screens, which had worked all day, the wrong call on 4th and 1, either time. Your after-the-fact endorsement of plays that didn't work shows that your knuckles regularly scrape the ground. For such a big fan of Neal Brown, who posts all day and night on here, why haven't you bought a subscription to this excellent board? Open up your wallet instead of your mouth for once, and subscribe.

Anybody defending this stupid head coach or blaming the loss on officials doesnt kn ow jack shit about football. Bottom line is once again piss poor head coaching cost wvu the game. Get that stupid clown out of here.

Reactions: Wvu21795
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT