ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia a No. 9 seed in the South in the NCAA Tournament

This is the beginning of the somewhat annual "yea we are in the dance...but who cares " tournament...with mostly wvu as cannon fodder seeding.

Pretty much our deserved spot. We’ll see if Huggs has one last great game in him.

It’s not as if the Maryland game isn’t a storyline.

Has Maryland ever been much of a rival in basketball? In any event, that has nothing to do with my point. Actual rivalry and history are not nearly as compelling to the NCAA committee and sports media as shit stirring narratives which is why WVU has been with KY in the same region of the NCAA often since Huggins has been the WVU HC. With the Oscar issue and the pre-existing Huggins/Cal narrative, I'm honestly surprised they didn't find a way to make that happen.

Maryland is more of a rivalry than Ky. Would very much enjoy beating the Terps.

Neither are much of a rival in basketball. Rivalry though is secondary to shit stirring media narratives to the NCAA selection committee. Trust me the Huggins/Cal history and the recent Oscar issue would be way more appealing to those chodes than even if it was reasonable to match WVU up with Pitt.

Has Maryland ever been much of a rival in basketball? In any event, that has nothing to do with my point. Actual rivalry and history are not nearly as compelling to the NCAA committee and sports media as shit stirring narratives which is why WVU has been with KY in the same region of the NCAA often since Huggins has been the WVU HC. With the Oscar issue and the pre-existing Huggins/Cal narrative, I'm honestly surprised they didn't find a way to make that happen.

Our lack of return fire probably killed that. No one outside of WV or KY remembers the 2010 Elite Eight, nor did the two schools care about each other before that moment. WV and MD are border states with a football rivalry, and they did meet recently in the tournament, it’s more compelling than putting us in with any of the other possibilities.

Our lack of return fire probably killed that. No one outside of WV or KY remembers the 2010 Elite Eight, nor did the two schools care about each other before that moment. WV and MD are border states with a football rivalry, and they did meet recently in the tournament, it’s more compelling than putting us in with any of the other possibilities.

Who did we play after meeting Maryland in the tournament the most recent time? Obviously I wouldn't ask if I didn't know the answer. Again, you are bringing logic, at least with regard to the integrity of the game, to predicting the illogical actions of the selection committee. It does not matter if people do not remember the 2010 game, it is something for the talking heads and article writers to riff on. Just like the history of Huggins at Cincy facing Cal at Xavier. They can also throw in the story of Cal's relative being an EMT that picked up Huggins after a heart attack. All that with the Oscar fiasco to easily fill up their quotas is very tempting.

Pitt, Marshall, and Maryland could all be roughly on the same seed line as WVU and the committee might still put WVU and UK together if the Wildcats are also on that seed line. As Huggins predicted a few years back when WVU was going to be a 5 or higher seed, he predicted before the conference tournaments were over that WVU would get SFA because a previous Huggins assistant coach at KSU was the SFA HC.

11668861.jpeg

WVU leads all time series over Maryland 24-14. Last game was March 22, 2015 with WVU winning 69-59. WVU has won 3 straight and 6 of the last 7.

WVU leads all time series over Maryland 24-14. Last game was March 22, 2015 with WVU winning 69-59. WVU has won 3 straight and 6 of the last 7.
MD beat Purdue as well as lost to them closely. We lost to Purdue soundly therefore based on this raspukin message board logic, MD blasts us.

MD beat Purdue as well as lost to them closely. We lost to Purdue soundly therefore based on this raspukin message board logic, MD blasts us.
Mary is conference game for Purdue. Makes a big difference. WVU wasn't exactly beaten soundly as they lost by 12.

A loss is a loss. Score comparisons are lame. It's all about the matchups.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Stevenson, Stevenson & Stevenson can beat UMd but
West Virginia can't be soft in the Paint.

Wish Suemnick
was playing significant minutes.

Suemnick is Not Soft.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Mary is conference game for Purdue. Makes a big difference. WVU wasn't exactly beaten soundly as they lost by 12.

A loss is a loss. Score comparisons are lame. It's all about the matchups.
certainly, no different than us losing by 3 to KU one game and 20 another. The substitution game played here where if we beat x, and x beats y, then we beat y doesn't work when considering each game is unique.

Last edited:
Maryland would beat the Boston Celtics playing on their home floor, but so far, heading out on the road, they couldn't beat the Washington Generals. I'm probably picking WVU to win this game in my bracket. There's still 3 days for something stupid to happen. Players getting suspended, injured, coaches fired, so I'll wait until 11:30 on Thursday to post my bracket.

Maryland would beat the Boston Celtics playing on their home floor, but so far, heading out on the road, they couldn't beat the Washington Generals. I'm probably picking WVU to win this game in my bracket. There's still 3 days for something stupid to happen. Players getting suspended, injured, coaches fired, so I'll wait until 11:30 on Thursday to post my bracket.
Have you ever actually posted anything useful? Nobody cares about your shitty bracket.

There he is again. The worthless dick head who's yet to contribute a sports take on a sports related message board. Good job, dick head.
Another solid post from the turdboy....

Tell me again what your contribution is? Putting us all to sleep reading your garbage or boring us all.

When you going to announce your fifth retirement from this board only to come back days later....

LMAO...what a dumbass..message board royalty.....OMG....LMAO...never change turdboy.

Another solid post from the turdboy....

Tell me again what your contribution is? Putting us all to sleep reading your garbage or boring us all.

When you going to announce your fifth retirement from this board only to come back days later....

LMAO...what a dumbass..message board royalty.....OMG....LMAO...never change turdboy.
There he is again. The worthless dick head who's yet to contribute a sports take on a sports related message board. Good job, dick head.

Reactions: KingCoal
2010 final 4

2010 final 4
My post was referring to the meeting with UK in the Elite 8. That was a national shocker as many had deemed that UK team as unbeatable (5 lottery picks IIRC), along with the Huggins-Cal subplot it made for a compelling March storyline until it wasn’t.

Wow....so original....LMAO....

As usual...brings nothing to the board...derails original topic....

What's funny is I bet everyone a dollar he races over to the woodshed to tell queenie he is owning me over here.

LMAO...too damn funny....never change turdboy...never, ever change from being one stupid douchebag.

Wow....so original....LMAO....

As usual...brings nothing to the board...derails original topic....

What's funny is I bet everyone a dollar he races over to the woodshed to tell queenie he is owning me over here.

LMAO...too damn funny....never change turdboy...never, ever change from being one stupid douchebag.

btw, I've never used late 1990s/early 2000s smack of claiming to 'own' somebody. If I did, I wouldn't want to own a garbage dick head like yourself. You're complete garbage, and so are your posts. Have a sports take at some point, and it will be your first on this forum, dick head.

Reactions: KingCoal

btw, I've never used late 1990s/early 2000s smack of claiming to 'own' somebody. If I did, I wouldn't want to own a garbage dick head like yourself. You're complete garbage, and so are your posts. Have a sports take at some point, and it will be your first on this forum, dick head.
Okay...

LMAO...never change turdboy.

Do you have another retirement from here scheduled....god I hope so...we all need a break from your boring ass shit.

Stevenson, Stevenson & Stevenson can beat UMd but
West Virginia can't be soft in the Paint.

Wish Suemnick
was playing significant minutes.

Suemnick is Not Soft.
Soft in the pain is a good point. I would add turnovers. And hope Erik has 3's coming out of his butt and swishing the nets! If WVU plays as it has lately in the Big 12, which may be tougher to deal with than March Madness in the early rounds, then I think we'll all be happy! Sure hope so.

Soft in the pain is a good point. I would add turnovers. And hope Erik has 3's coming out of his butt and swishing the nets! If WVU plays as it has lately in the Big 12, which may be tougher to deal with than March Madness in the early rounds, then I think we'll all be happy! Sure hope so.
Guess we'll know more
about UMd, Thursday.

Good point about late b12
Competition vs
Ncaa 1st weekend
(& UMd)
But West Virginia was Toast vs Kansas.

bBob's comments basically said West Virginia had zero energy vs Kansas, (basically quit).

Last edited:
Guess we'll know more
about UMd, Thursday.

Good point about late b12
Competition vs
Ncaa 1st weekend
(& UMd)
But West Virginia was Toast vs Kansas.

bBob's comments basically said West Virginia had zero energy vs Kansas, (basically quit).
Having no energy might have something to do with playing Kansas almost 10 minutes after night victory in first game.

My post was referring to the meeting with UK in the Elite 8. That was a national shocker as many had deemed that UK team as unbeatable (5 lottery picks IIRC), along with the Huggins-Cal subplot it made for a compelling March storyline until it wasn’t.

Cousins and Wall were the only lottery picks from UK when WVU played them in the Elite 8 in 2010. It was 2015 when Kentucky had 5 NBA ready guys and that was the year WVU played them in the Sweet 16 after beating a Trimble led Maryland team. It did not go well.

Agree with quitting, which WVU hasn't done much lately. Pretty good late-season run in by far the toughest conference in America!

Excuses "about Quitting"
is almost Worse then Quitting, itself almost

What's that called - "enabling"?

Ps...that was then, this is now..
.on to UMd in Birmingham

Can't fix a problem -
without identifying the problem.

Cousins and Wall were the only lottery picks from UK when WVU played them in the Elite 8 in 2010. It was 2015 when Kentucky had 5 NBA ready guys and that was the year WVU played them in the Sweet 16 after beating a Trimble led Maryland team. It did not go well.

Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and Daniel Orton were all selected in the first round. I misspoke by saying lottery, they had 3 lottery picks and 2 additional 1st rounders plus others who would eventually find their way to the league. It was and still is an all time upset. People just eventually forget outside of the two fanbases who lived it.

Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and Daniel Orton were all selected in the first round. I misspoke by saying lottery, they had 3 lottery picks and 2 additional 1st rounders plus others who would eventually find their way to the league. It was and still is an all time upset. People just eventually forget outside of the two fanbases who lived it.
the only team to have 5 first round draft picks in the same year...Huggins went to the 1-3-1 because no one had the talent to play them man..Cal was out coached that game.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
the only team to have 5 first round draft picks in the same year...Huggins went to the 1-3-1 because no one had the talent to play them man..Cal was out coached that game.

We also gave them all the open 3's they wanted. Cousins playing in the post and Wall driving was their strengths so Huggins gambled on letting them have open 3's all game in exchange for crowding the lane. I think KY shot 29 3's that game and made something like 6. Butler, Jones, and Smith were the opposite and making their open looks from 3 to start which spread the defense allowing Mazzulla to start making moves to the basket and cutters to get space.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT