ADVERTISEMENT

Wash.Post: College football attendance sees second-largest decline in history

A lot of great posts in this thread.

I thinks it’s a combination of a lot of things, I remember not too long ago if you wanted a preview of your school’s team for that year then you basically had to attend the opening game against a tomato can to watch. Now those games are on ESPNU, FS2, or at bare minimum ESPN3 so you can watch anywhere in the country. So IMO that is a major attendance hit for the undesirable games on the schedule as I think a lot of people used to attend those simply because it was the only way to really watch.

Each school will typically get 1-2 guaranteed sell out games and then leverages those games to sell the tickets to the rest of the games, the issue as to why this is no longer working is I think the market is figuring out they can just buy the big ticket on the secondary market for far less than the price of a season ticket and if they really want to go to one of the lesser games the secondary market will have those tickets for basically nothing since there is no excessive demand for them.

The NFL is taking a hit because they have simply priced the average fan out of attending, but make no mistake if they dropped the prices the stadiums would fill up again. WVU could give away tickets to the WVU-Liberty game and there would still be pockets of empties all over the stadium.

Listen man no one cares LOL

Listen man no one cares LOL

There you go again.

The internet has allowed people who pee sitting down to run their mouths.

Attempt to tone down your insults. Doesn’t make you sound like a man it makes you sound like a little boy.

Your never run your mouth to someone that can’t get you or that you can’t get yourself...

Lol...I actually agree with you. However it is precisely what is wrong with college sports. It is pro ball without the legal and salary trappings. Wouldn't mind regional game schedule and Div III thinking if the balloon bursts and that's where it all ends....back where it began. At least fans and the students at the schools would mean something again.

I agree on some parts but not all.
For me if you add Oklahoma this is the region of Texas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Southwest_Conference
Because you also have this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland_Conference
But like what was said earlier what are the regions.
They are so subjective especially for West Virginia and Texas.

WVU has ties with PA and OH but they have ties to MD and VA.
VA doesn’t really have ties with PA.

Texas is a lot simpler but the issue is that Tx has their States they have ties with.
Anything west of the Mississippi Delta that touches the Red River.
They also have ties across the Delta into Mississippi and Memphis.

Thing is Oklahoma has ties with Kansas and Mississippi and ties with Alabama but Alabama and Mississippi doesn’t have ties with Kansas.

Most smaller conferences in Texas are centered around the ArkLaTex.
That is Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and Little Dixie in Oklahoma.

Thing is west Texas has ties with New Mexico.

Regional conferences are a myth. Especially for flagship universities. You can’t make everyone happy.

Last edited:
Not true.
For Texas
The last few years 70-80 has come from royalties, 70-80 in ticket sales, 30-40 million in contributions and 30-40 million in television revenue.

The main revenue from most of the Top 25 is royalties.
Meaning merchandise sales and other things a university places thier name on.

Texas is an outlier as their football program generates more money than the majority of D1 schools do for their entire revenue
WVU does well with royalties from merchandise,too, but nobody touches Texas. Which is why it's a mystery that Texas doesn't win the Big 12 and national titles every year. WVU get a lot more bang for the buck than Texas, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT