ADVERTISEMENT

Unimpressive Class

If WVU was in the ACC they would be much better off recruiting wise. Big 12 just not a great fit, IMHO. With VT, Virginia, and Pitt just down the street... much better rivalries. Just don't get why they are not in the ACC.

Uh...ACC did not want WVU. Pretty simple.

This thread is about why WVU can't recruit good classes to come to Morgantown. Leave your emotions at the door. So why is this year's class continuing the trend of poor recruiting classes for WVU?

Thought?
It's okay...being in denial about spitt being a hot mess is something a lot of Panther fans are doing.

Just a passerby.. My opinion doesn't mean anything but here are my thoughts..
When has WVU ever been a recruiting power? They are highly up against the 8-ball considering that the state of WV produces hardly any D1 talent. So right there you don't get the benefit of plucking the top prospects in your state then going out of state to finish off your class. You have to go to Florida, Texas, or wherever and try and recruit theirs. Problem is, those kids normally go to the big school in that state. So you get their leftovers and try and find diamonds in the rough. Yeah there is the occasional Noel Devine who will join but for the most part WVU isn't getting the top kids outta state.

From an outsiders point of view, it seems that WVU fields a good football team whenever they have a roster full of seniors that have been in the program for a while and put together a good season..

Also the location isn't really ideal in trying to sway kids to that part of the country. Most kids couldn't locate Morgantown on a map. You don't have weather as an ace in the pocket, no beaches, no city life. But the biggest problem is high school football in WV is terrible.

Again, just a passerby's opinion on the topic.

Thoughts?
Well stated. Facts are facts. However, I wouldn't describe WV Hs school football as terrible. It is on par with states with similar demographics. As a source for P5 level players, It's not a factor because of numbers that just aren't there. It doesn't have the number of student athletes or number of large population centers to generate the kind of consistent competition and D1 players that many states have. Calling it terrible is easy but imo not fair to the kids that sacrifice to play with a dream of a scholarship and improving their chances of success.

Why is it so difficult to recruit kids to WVU? This year's class is an embarrassment! How can anyone expect WVU to compete for championships if they can't get into the top 40 classes in America? I thought the Big 12 was supposed to help recruiting. Heck WVU was better off in the Big East as far as recruiting goes.

Thoughts?
I think over the past 30/40 years if you averaged out our rank in recruiting compared to where we actually end up ranked on field after the season, bet we are 10 to 20 positions higher. My point is after you get past the A list of 10/15 teams like the Alabamas, Ohio States, Florida Sts, etc.., who probably pretty much recruit all 4/5 stars, I would say we hold our own on talent and/or development of personnel and performance on the field where it counts. I take recruiting at WVU with a grain of salt, so relax. That's the way it is, the way its been, and the way it will most likely always be. Go Mountaineers!!!

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I have been openly critical to Holgorsen's performance prior to this season, but as I have said, I have been happy with what has appeared to be a turnaround this season and I certainly hope it continues. With that said, the current recruiting class is of concern and if you look at things without your agendas, you would have to say the same. I am sure the fact WV high schools are not turning out a lot of D1 talent is a problem but that has never been any different. I am guessing the Big 12 is not helping in this area and is likely the biggest hurdle our coaches have in recruiting.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I have been openly critical to Holgorsen's performance prior to this season, but as I have said, I have been happy with what has appeared to be a turnaround this season and I certainly hope it continues. With that said, the current recruiting class is of concern and if you look at things without your agendas, you would have to say the same. I am sure the fact WV high schools are not turning out a lot of D1 talent is a problem but that has never been any different. I am guessing the Big 12 is not helping in this area and is likely the biggest hurdle our coaches have in recruiting.

How did that 2013 class turn out? You can't grade a class until 4 years later.

Well stated. Facts are facts. However, I wouldn't describe WV Hs school football as terrible. It is on par with states with similar demographics. As a source for P5 level players, It's not a factor because of numbers that just aren't there. It doesn't have the number of student athletes or number of large population centers to generate the kind of consistent competition and D1 players that many states have. Calling it terrible is easy but imo not fair to the kids that sacrifice to play with a dream of a scholarship and improving their chances of success.

Fair enough.. Maybe WV highschool ball might not be terrible.. But you don't have the luxury of filling an entire team just of kids from WV.. You just don't have the populated areas that Florida Texas California Ohio etc have.

That's you're biggest problem IMO that wvu faces. Lack of in state depth. Numbers are heavily against you

As an fsu fan, they could fill an entire class of just Florida kids. Same goes for UGA in their state.

Also, how much money is wvu dumping into recruiting? How many ace recruiters do you have on staff? What about multiple football camps on campus for high school sophomores and juniors? That plays into it as well.

If WVU was in the ACC they would be much better off recruiting wise. Big 12 just not a great fit, IMHO. With VT, Virginia, and Pitt just down the street... much better rivalries. Just don't get why they are not in the ACC.

Finally!!!! After all of the local retard emotional breakdown! After all of the dumb posts!!! After all of the apologist gibberish one guy nails it!!!!

The Big 12 is the slow walk off the plank for WVU. WVU will never recruit well again......ever!!! If a real recruit wants to play Big12 football it won't be for WVU. WVU will always get the leftovers as long as they are in the Big12. WVUs best chance at a legit football future is if Big12 implodes and WVU joins ACC.

So there you have it folks. Finally a poster that gets it!!!

For the retards........WVU is a great school!!! I respect WVU!!! Love Huggy Bear!!! But man some of you are so stupid.

Bye bye

Just a passerby.. My opinion doesn't mean anything but here are my thoughts..
When has WVU ever been a recruiting power? They are highly up against the 8-ball considering that the state of WV produces hardly any D1 talent. So right there you don't get the benefit of plucking the top prospects in your state then going out of state to finish off your class. You have to go to Florida, Texas, or wherever and try and recruit theirs. Problem is, those kids normally go to the big school in that state. So you get their leftovers and try and find diamonds in the rough. Yeah there is the occasional Noel Devine who will join but for the most part WVU isn't getting the top kids outta state.

From an outsiders point of view, it seems that WVU fields a good football team whenever they have a roster full of seniors that have been in the program for a while and put together a good season..

Also the location isn't really ideal in trying to sway kids to that part of the country. Most kids couldn't locate Morgantown on a map. You don't have weather as an ace in the pocket, no beaches, no city life. But the biggest problem is high school football in WV is terrible.

Again, just a passerby's opinion on the topic.

Thoughts?

Your thoughts are very accurate although some might not like to hear them. To get top recruits to come to WVU in droves would, at a minimum, require having a certain prestige and history like that of Alabama's and other elite schools, which will never happen due to some of the reasons you mentioned, among others. I'd venture to say that even if WVU won a national championship, it wouldn't get a significant boost in the talent level of future recruiting classes. As any long time WVU fan will tell you, it's best just to accept the fact that WVU will, on average, have a decent team every 4-5 years that is capable of generating some dark horse national championship talk. The other years require fans to be content with cheering for the team to knock off one of the big boys that has a potential shot at a MNC.

I'd say my only real disappointment in this class was that wvu only landed 3 of the top 7 recruits in the State of WV this year. This may have been the best overall class of in-state HS recruits since the 50s or 60s (I don't go that far back), but certainly in the last 25 years. I don't ever recall a year in which 7 kids from WV signed with Power 5 DI schools. I would have really liked to see us get Riley Locklear and/or Billy Ross. But, not much else our Staff could've done- from what I've seen on here and other sites, neither were ever interested in WVU.
I do give the Staff credit for flipping D. Pitts and he hopefully is the best in the State, and at a position of future need for WVU. He may see the field as a true freshman.

Majority of WVU greatest players were two or three star prospects. Depth goes a long way during a season and we know kids get down graded by rivals when they choose WVU. Im guessing the two star prospect Pat White really sucked for WVU.

Majority of WVU greatest players were two or three star prospects. Depth goes a long way during a season and we know kids get down graded by rivals when they choose WVU. Im guessing the two star prospect Pat White really sucked for WVU.

Let me know when WVU wins a P5 conference. I'm thinking it will be never.

Why is it so difficult to recruit kids to WVU? This year's class is an embarrassment! How can anyone expect WVU to compete for championships if they can't get into the top 40 classes in America? I thought the Big 12 was supposed to help recruiting. Heck WVU was better off in the Big East as far as recruiting goes.

Thoughts?
You read to much into those stars these players get like Dana said in 3 or 4 years is when this class will be judged.

Many years WVU has had on paper what seemed like not so greatly ranked classes.
In nearly every if not every class, some players have turned out to be hidden gems and played very well for the Mountaineers.

Thanks to all of the players who committed to WVU and want to be Mountaineers. Wish them all well and hope they all have fantastic careers with WVU!!!!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Thoughts on why WVU recruiting is embarrassing?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are wait 4 years and let us know.
So, with your string of logic, we shouldn't expect any of this year's recruits to contribute until 2021 when they are seniors? Wow.

No dumb shit. It's a process called grade the class after their 4 years here. They may play each or 1 year or 2 years or 3 years or 4 years.. This class will not be known if good or bad until their 4 years are finished.

Some people are just dicks and your are one.

You read to much into those stars these players get like Dana said in 3 or 4 years is when this class will be judged.

You realize WVU is 22 wins and 23 losses in Big12 play. Not ranked in first 4 years and beat one or two legit teams last year. I mean a middle of the ACC pack Miami humiliated WVU. So it's not like you and others saying wait 4 years have history on your side. Honestly a joke schedule provided WVU an easy 8 wins. If WVU played Pitt's schedule WVU loses to Penn State, Okie State, Clemson, Miami at a minimum. And probably also lose to VaTech, Georgia Tech and UNC. At least one lose in those 3 games. Maybe all 3 are losses.

Anyone disagree?

Last edited:
"Joke schedule". Ah, the tired, misinformed refrain of Dana haters and crybabies alike.
This has been debunked. End of season strength of schedule numbers have proved this is false. Yet you haters and crybabies still use it. Try to keep up. The SOS for this year was more difficult than any other double digit win season at wvu since before 1988 (i.e. Tougher than even 1988 1993 2005 2006 2007).
Give it a rest 10-3. Ranked in top 20.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...kings-top-25-2016-final-ap-poll?client=safari

And you're calling other people idiots and morons on here. Nice. You've been exposed.
And talking about who's trending where...
Yup enjoy that ACC irrelevant basement, Dude.
WVU, ranked in both major sports. Pitt? Nope.

Wvu SOS was 26. Pitt 21. Hardly a huge difference.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

You realize WVU is 22 wins and 23 losses in Big12 play. Not ranked in first 4 years and beat one or two legit teams last year. I mean a middle of the ACC pack Miami humiliated WVU. So it's not like you and others saying wait 4 years have history on your side. Honestly a joke schedule provided WVU an easy 8 wins. If WVU played Pitt's schedule WVU loses to Penn State, Okie State, Clemson, Miami at a minimum. And probably also lose to VaTech, Georgia Tech and UNC. At least one lose in those 3 games. Maybe all loses all 3.

Anyone disagree?

Last edited:
Rivals has it ranked 94th below Marshall at 80. 24/7 has it ranked 56th anyway you look at it the class sucks. Anyone trying to sugar coat this is delusional.

I don't think it's fair to say that when none of these kids have played a down of college football.

It's also a douche bag move to say a group of high school kids suck. Get a life.

Does the truth hurt your feelings?

Hey root- 10-3. 10 wins. Fact. And strength of schedule more difficult than any of DRod
Schedules of 2005,2006,or 2007.
Facts. Dude.
go 'root' for someone else if you're so unhappy.

Disciples of Fluffer Holgorsen stop making excuses. Where did 10-3 get us this year? We got bitch slapped by an 8-4 Acc school. The 2005 and 2007 Wvu teams beat an Sec champion and Oklahoma something these Big 12 wvu teams haven't been able to do. This years recruiting class just ensures more 7-5 at best seasons with crappy bowl bids. The big 12 is the new big east. Florida recruiting pipeline is drying up and can't even recruit a Division 1 qb out of high school is this what 3.5 mil a year gets us? What a rip off.

Did you just bring facts up here? Not allowed, you should know that by now. Of course It's easy for gregor frenchy to say a schedule is easy while he's sitting on his fat ass eating bon bons and cheesy poofs all day.

QUOTE="Chazz Michael Michaels, post: 1447084, member: 4184"]"Joke schedule". Ah, the tired, misinformed refrain of Dana haters and crybabies alike.
This has been debunked. End of season strength of schedule numbers have proved this is false. Yet you haters and crybabies still use it. Try to keep up. The SOS for this year was more difficult than any other double digit win season at wvu since before 1988 (i.e. Tougher than even 1988 1993 2005 2006 2007).
Give it a rest 10-3. Ranked in top 20.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...kings-top-25-2016-final-ap-poll?client=safari

And you're calling other people idiots and morons on here. Nice. You've been exposed.
And talking about who's trending where...
Yup enjoy that ACC irrelevant basement, Dude.
WVU, ranked in both major sports. Pitt? Nope.

Wvu SOS was 26. Pitt 21. Hardly a huge difference.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?
One of these days you might understand recruiting (or anything else for that matter.) Calling a group of young men an "embarrassment" before they've ever stepped foot on the field is a mean spirited act of stupidity. We very specifically targeted guys in areas of need and landed almost everyone we went after. You need to understand that the difference between a 3 and a 4 star recruit is often a couple of guys sitting in an office, looking at few pieces of film and subjectively trying to decide whether a kid should be rated 5.7 or 5.8. Same thing for a difference between a 2 and 3 star, etc.

This is no slap at Rivals, Scout, 24/7, etc. They do the absolute best they can and there is value to what they bring. BUT intelligent people understand that beyond the very top players, the process is very, VERY subjective and it's really all about getting fits you target for your areas of need. We did that and you'll see the results over the next few years.

Save you "embarrassment" for yourself over making comments like that about a great group of kids who just signed to play for WVU...

WVU's recruiting class rating is artificially low due to the number of juco signees. Kansas State never has a recruiting class ranked above 60, primarily because Kansas State emphasizes juco recruiting. Yet, Kansas State consistently fields a Top 30 football program. Snyder is an amazing coach, but has enjoyed the benefit of some very talented teams, despite poor rankings from the recruiting services.

Thoughts?
Wonder how we did against other programs whose head coach didn't have a contract?

I think we all should just settle down and give DH another four, five or six seasons to get his approach firmly established before we freak out. And if the coal industry rebounds and the state's population explodes we will probably harvest a glut of instate preferred walk ons to fill out the roster. Just sayin':wink:

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to say that when none of these kids have played a down of college football.

It's also a douche bag move to say a group of high school kids suck. Get a life.

Im not the one in charge of recruiting rankings douche Bag. All you ever do is make excuses. You're a pathetic loser.

Disciples of Fluffer Holgorsen stop making excuses. Where did 10-3 get us this year? We got bitch slapped by an 8-4 Acc school. The 2005 and 2007 Wvu teams beat an Sec champion and Oklahoma something these Big 12 wvu teams haven't been able to do. This years recruiting class just ensures more 7-5 at best seasons with crappy bowl bids. The big 12 is the new big east. Florida recruiting pipeline is drying up and can't even recruit a Division 1 qb out of high school is this what 3.5 mil a year gets us? What a rip off.

The only thing fluffy is what's between your ears. Do you know WVU's lifetime avg for recruiting. I know you don't because you don't want anyone to know how slow you go. Avg is around 40 or higher. The 2005 and 2007 and 2013 teams won Bowls by winning weak Big East which Stewart never won the Big Easy. What is WVU record against Miami and for that matter in the state of Fl.? Doesn't matter what HC you get the recruiting will still be low. Now go lick your paws.

As a KSU fan, we always seem to have low rated classes. It happened again this recruiting season. I believe we are ranked below West Virginia. But far too often the stars are not a real test of how good a kid might be. This year Jordan Willis is projected to go fairly high in the draft as a DE/Edge rusher. He was only a 3 star in high school. Heck he was not that good his first year. But he kept working and worked with the coaches to improve. Last year a 2 star lineman from a little town in Kansas ended up be selected in the second round and is now the starting center for the Chicago Bears. We have the same "problem" as WV. People say that Manhattan is a difficult place to recruit to. Our high school kids rarely get more than 3 stars yet more and more of them are making to the NFL. I suspect the same thing is true with WV high school kids. They develop and turn into good college players and some into NFL players.

someone from Kansas saying how stars don't relate to talent. really? lol by the way CBS has WVU with worse recruiting rank than eight of next year's scheduled teams. hope Kansas guy is right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT