ADVERTISEMENT

Unimpressive Class

Pitt4Life34

All-American
Nov 5, 2002
Why is it so difficult to recruit kids to WVU? This year's class is an embarrassment! How can anyone expect WVU to compete for championships if they can't get into the top 40 classes in America? I thought the Big 12 was supposed to help recruiting. Heck WVU was better off in the Big East as far as recruiting goes.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Herd Fever
Deeper bench with recruiting in Big 12. Big East recruiting, players usually left, never qualified or just plain couldn't get it done.

I do not know how you can say this at this point. #40 class but end up in top 15 ???

Why is it so difficult to recruit kids to WVU? This year's class is an embarrassment! How can anyone expect WVU to compete for championships if they can't get into the top 40 classes in America? I thought the Big 12 was supposed to help recruiting. Heck WVU was better off in the Big East as far as recruiting goes.

Thoughts?

Because high school football in WV sucks.

The best kids in OH and PA want to go to bigger programs like OSU and PSU, so we fight with Pitt, Cincy, Michigan St, etc for leftovers.

Florida has been good to us but it's obvious why it is a battle for the top athletes down there. We usually have to take chances on kids are academic risks (Devine, Durante, etc.).

Send a proposal to President Gee to have the university moved to Florida. That should help.

Reactions: foulkes

On behalf of WVU Football, allow me to extend sincerest apologies for the personal embarrassment you're experiencing; and if you, for that reason, find it impossible to buy tickets anymore, we all do understand.

You're welcome.....

Does HS football in WV not suck?

And what does that have to do with DH poor showing on this class? WV has always been a small state etc. WV has lived by recruiting other areas, notably Florida. I live in Fl and coaching friends said WVU was quiet in the state.

Now that being said. This, less than stellar (on paper) class, could be a result of recruiting for projected need etc...which is an ok approach if you already are deep. Are we? The continuing inability to land (or keep for that matter) QBs is a head scratcher.

The addendum to this signing day that WVU will "land" some preferred walk ons sounds a lot like "cover my ass" for a poor showing.

Couple big linemen though.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

Thoughts?

I think the Big 12 is hurting our recruiting

Wonder what the effect was on the program of not having Cogdell here nor at Miramar. Did we shoot ourselves in the foot in the long run by bringing him to Motown only to part ways? I have no clue but would love some insight

I think they should get rid of current coaches, hire the cheapest coaches possible. Stop stadium renovations, etc. Dump more $$$ into the soccer, baseball, and basketball facilities. Go chase championships in those sports. Soccer really needs some upgrades. I saw a few pics that Nikki Izzo Brown tweeted out before games with their jerseys hung up, locker room looked like a high school football locker room. Very dull, they need new locker rooms. Something that pops. Would help out the men's program too.

I like our chances as long as our classes are in the Top 40 and we get some 4- or 5-star talent at the skilled positions.

On behalf of WVU Football, allow me to extend sincerest apologies for the personal embarrassment you're experiencing; and if you, for that reason, find it impossible to buy tickets anymore, we all do understand.

You're welcome.....

So you're satisfied with the class WVU just signed?

Thoughts?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Really, some of you need to get your heads out of your arses and be real. This is a special needs recruitment class. Out of the current 21 signees, 12 are defensive and 3 are OL. We have had pretty good performance with 2, 3 and the occasional 4 star players at these positions in the past, what has changed that we should be alarmed this year. We have taken 3 solid wide receivers, a couple of athletes and a running back. I don't recall these types of classes loaded with 4 and 5 star players in the past. And the fact is that once you get beyond the top 20 rated classes (and i'm being generous on this point), the ratings don't usually coincide with actual performance. So to answer the question, am I satisfied with this class? The answer is that only the coaches need to be satisfied that they filled their position needs. Our opinions and those of most of the rating services are inconsequential. But if you want to press the issue, I'll let you know in 2 to 4 years when the facts are in.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Really, some of you need to get your heads out of your arses and be real. This is a special needs recruitment class. Out of the current 21 signees, 12 are defensive and 3 are OL. We have had pretty good performance with 2, 3 and the occasional 4 star players at these positions in the past, what has changed that we should be alarmed this year. We have taken 3 solid wide receivers, a couple of athletes and a running back. I don't recall these types of classes loaded with 4 and 5 star players in the past. And the fact is that once you get beyond the top 20 rated classes (and i'm being generous on this point), the ratings don't usually coincide with actual performance. So to answer the question, am I satisfied with this class? The answer is that only the coaches need to be satisfied that they filled their position needs. Our opinions and those of most of the rating services are inconsequential. But if you want to press the issue, I'll let you know in 2 to 4 years when the facts are in.
Well stated and very factual. THANKS. Takes some self confidence to buck the conclusions of the multiple 'experts' with whom we have to contend. Appreciate your level headed discourse.

Deeper bench with recruiting in Big 12. Big East recruiting, players usually left, never qualified or just plain couldn't get it done.

What alternative facts are you trying to develop? Your post is gibberish!

Last edited:
I do not know how you can say this at this point. #40 class but end up in top 15 ???

Unrelated Einstein. Thread is questioning why this year's class is reflective of WVUs crappy recruiting. Beating a bunch of crap teams last Fall and getting beat up by the good teams on the schedule is unrelated to thread goofball.

Because high school football in WV sucks.

The best kids in OH and PA want to go to bigger programs like OSU and PSU, so we fight with Pitt, Cincy, Michigan St, etc for leftovers.

Florida has been good to us but it's obvious why it is a battle for the top athletes down there. We usually have to take chances on kids are academic risks (Devine, Durante, etc.).

Good post. Things may get tougher if Pitt decides to make Florida a priority like this year. If Pitt delivers Florida kids in future classes at the rate they did this year WVU may be even worse than recent classes. WVU seems to be rudderless. It seems like there is no rhyme or reason with recruiting strategy.

LOL! Wake up man! This class sucks and you're an apologist with your head in the sand.

Let's all be honest with ourselves. Recruiting rankings for the most part do matter. Look at the teams that are top 10 recruiting every year, and for the most part they are in New years day bowls and the playoffs.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Just a passerby.. My opinion doesn't mean anything but here are my thoughts..
When has WVU ever been a recruiting power? They are highly up against the 8-ball considering that the state of WV produces hardly any D1 talent. So right there you don't get the benefit of plucking the top prospects in your state then going out of state to finish off your class. You have to go to Florida, Texas, or wherever and try and recruit theirs. Problem is, those kids normally go to the big school in that state. So you get their leftovers and try and find diamonds in the rough. Yeah there is the occasional Noel Devine who will join but for the most part WVU isn't getting the top kids outta state.

From an outsiders point of view, it seems that WVU fields a good football team whenever they have a roster full of seniors that have been in the program for a while and put together a good season..

Also the location isn't really ideal in trying to sway kids to that part of the country. Most kids couldn't locate Morgantown on a map. You don't have weather as an ace in the pocket, no beaches, no city life. But the biggest problem is high school football in WV is terrible.

Again, just a passerby's opinion on the topic.

Thoughts?

I don't know much about this class, other than there seems to be a lot of Juco players, way more than HS kids it seems.

No team in the B12 had an outstanding ranking, other than OU. That is concerning. Wonder if the dysfunctional league management is having an effect? Expand, don't expand, Network, no network, and the bad press. (Baylor, Mixon) Not any one thing, but constant negative press for many months particularly at the season start. IDK, just wondered if it might be keeping the entire league down.

The dude who started this thread has over 2,200 posts on a rival's fan board. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over his holier-than-thou bullshit.

I'm really excited about the class. I like the emphasis in linemen and the secondary. Nice combination of speed and size. At least three guys with NFL bloodlines. The teams most played on were very successful, which ai think is important. A couple of the guys look like they could compete early as punt/kickoff returners, and we need some help there.

Let the other programs chase the shiny toys. We got kids who fill our needs and appear to be willing to put the work in to prepare to win

So yes I am satisfied. Time will tell how things work out.

Lgm!

No team in the B12 had an outstanding ranking, other than OU. That is concerning. Wonder if the dysfunctional league management is having an effect? Expand, don't expand, Network, no network, and the bad press. (Baylor, Mixon) Not any one thing, but constant negative press for many months particularly at the season start. IDK, just wondered if it might be keeping the entire league down.

Big 12 is the little brother of the P5 Conferences. This trend is only gonna get worse.

I'm really excited about the class. I like the emphasis in linemen and the secondary. Nice combination of speed and size. At least three guys with NFL bloodlines. The teams most played on were very successful, which ai think is important. A couple of the guys look like they could compete early as punt/kickoff returners, and we need some help there.

Let the other programs chase the shiny toys. We got kids who fill our needs and appear to be willing to put the work in to prepare to win

So yes I am satisfied. Time will tell how things work out.

Lgm!

You are hilarious in your blind faith LOL. I feel so sorry for you that I'm not going to call you out as a resident moron

I'll trust the guys doing this for a living and not the message board expert. Take a look at the 2012 class ranked #50 or so. Very solid class with some NFL guys. As long as holgs and his staff continue to develop players I don't see any issues like the mmb expert.... I mean troll on everything wvu football and hoops.

Shouldn't you be on the Pitt board asking why they can't recruit? Or keep a head coach...or have 10 win seasons...or play in front of 40,000 empty seats...

Reactions: Cavaleer
I'll trust the guys doing this for a living and not the message board expert. Take a look at the 2012 class ranked #50 or so. Very solid class with some NFL guys. As long as holgs and his staff continue to develop players I don't see any issues like the mmb expert.... I mean troll on everything wvu football and hoops.

You're an idiot. Look at the rating numbers big guy. The football programs with the best recruiting win more than the teams that rank 50. That's not rocket science my man.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Shouldn't you be on the Pitt board asking why they can't recruit? Or keep a head coach...or have 10 win seasons...or play in front of 40,000 empty seats...

This thread is about why WVU can't recruit good classes to come to Morgantown. Leave your emotions at the door. So why is this year's class continuing the trend of poor recruiting classes for WVU?

Thought?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT