ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN???

Really? that's the best the Big XII can do?

It is a weak move. UConn dilutes football and only adds some basketball appeal. The latter hardly compensates for the former. The Big XII is in a position of strength to lock up the second tier FBS conference when the ACC inevitably restructures. I don't see how this improves the Big XII currently or improves the chances of the Big XII adding the best available from the ACC when it moves in a similar direction as the PAC 12.

It is a weak move. UConn dilutes football and only adds some basketball appeal. The latter hardly compensates for the former. The Big XII is in a position of strength to lock up the second tier FBS conference when the ACC inevitably restructures. I don't see how this improves the Big XII currently or improves the chances of the Big XII adding the best available from the ACC when it moves in a similar direction as the PAC 12.
I thought the talks were for everything but football. I may be wrong.

That would certainly make more sense. However if the future is a 20-24 team mega conference, why add non football members and create an even more unwieldy basketball conference?
All other sports now. FB in '31 to give them time to get the program back up to speed. They were very competitive in the BE days. Donors pledging cash.

They’re basically a blue blood in basketball right now and have the “it” coach who just won back to back with no signs of slowing down. In a world where the Big XII is guaranteed to be a second rate football conference in comparison to the SEC and B1G we need to target basketball as a way to legitimize the conference brand.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
At UConn, basketball (men's and women's) are blue bloods and they're winning national championships. Sure, the football program needs to greatly improve but should do so with more Big 12 $$$.

At UConn, basketball (men's and women's) are blue bloods and they're winning national championships. Sure, the football program needs to greatly improve but should do so with more Big 12 $$$.
Might as well just add them and when the conference inevitably gets raided again atleast we don’t have to wait 4 years for them to ramp up their program with the new cash.

Might as well just add them and when the conference inevitably gets raided again atleast we don’t have to wait 4 years for them to ramp up their program with the new cash.

You think the Big 12 is likely to be raided? I don't see the SEC or Big 10 going for any Big 12 teams unless those conferences start kicking out dead weight. And I don't see the ACC or any other conference outside of the Big 2 being able to tempt away any Big 12 teams.

You played the Huskies during Big East play. How good (or bad) were they?
Husky football will only improve by joining a P4 conference.

You think the Big 12 is likely to be raided? I don't see the SEC or Big 10 going for any Big 12 teams unless those conferences start kicking out dead weight. And I don't see the ACC or any other conference outside of the Big 2 being able to tempt away any Big 12 teams.
The Big XII along with the ACC are a feeder league to the B1G and SEC. Its inevitable one of them will decide it’s beneficial to add whichever program is most successful in the coming years.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Which schools are big enough for either the SEC or the Big 10?
It really depends on how many teams the Big 10 and Sec want in their conference. If the goal is to get to 20 teams, then the Big 10 has room for two and the Sec has four slots available. The Acc is most likely to be targeted because they have the best brands in Fsu and Clemson. Where the Big 10 and Sec goes from there is anyone's guess but if they keep deciding to expand Big 12 teams will eventually pop up on the radar again.

It really depends on how many teams the Big 10 and Sec want in their conference. If the goal is to get to 20 teams, then the Big 10 has room for two and the Sec has four slots available. The Acc is most likely to be targeted because they have the best brands in Fsu and Clemson. Where the Big 10 and Sec goes from there is anyone's guess but if they keep deciding to expand Big 12 teams will eventually pop up on the radar again.

The end result IMO is a remaking of the NCAA. They just started scratching the surface of the idea that there are no limits to where they can expand in the US, so more westward expansion is likely for both leagues. My guess is the end game is a merger where the two NFL style conferences are the SEC which is predominately southeast, and the B1G which is “everyone else” and each year there will be a compelling storyline for casuals which is, can the southeast be defeated by the rest of the US.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT