ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on what occurred in Italy yesterday?

I was just asking whether Columbus' discovery or Leif Erickson's discovery led to western expansion.

There is no one of any political force abolishing slavery in the 15th century. There are laws passed in areas without slaves. There are laws passed in areas where there are slaves, but the laws are not enforced and slavery continues for 300 years. Seeds of change were planted, but your hundreds of years from any person, people or nation leading a revolutionary charge against slavery.

Columbus was sent for conquest. He acted within the norms of the day.
And I said that although outlawed by political factions during the 13th and 14th centuries, many members of those states still participated in the practice. "Norms of the day" is a phrase that depends on perspective as well. Was slavery a norm of the day in the 1700's? I bet it was to a plantation owner in the south. Should Washington be absolved? Again, to someone descendant from slave families...that perspective is not as clear cut.

I agree, but those norms were not a popular part of secondary education in the US until of late. My point was facts of history are heavily disputed in certain cases in the US (when referring to secondary education). Issues such as Columbus, the slave trade, unions and the armed conflict that often resulted from union activity, as well as other issues of American history are not taught in secondary education or are contested by school boards and parents. Evolution is still a hot subject in areas of the nation, literature as well. My point was that critical thinking should be taught on the secondary level as well. Students should be given competing points of civics, history, even science and encouraged to develop a viewpoint through debate and discussion. Multicultural viewpoints aid in this development of critical thinking and questioning of mainstream viewpoints.
Multiculturalism contributes nothing to critical think.

Sweetie, you don't know everything.
I'm not your sweetie. But multiculturalism contributes nothing to critical thinking. I think you've demonstrated that in this thread. It clearly inhibits your otherwise critical thinking.

I'm not your sweetie. But multiculturalism contributes nothing to critical thinking. I think you've demonstrated that in this thread. It clearly inhibits your otherwise critical thinking.
Multicultural education most certainly fosters critical thinking. Anytime a student is forced to read different perspectives, it will lead to some level of cognitive dissonance.

I thought the sweetie comment would get to you (I don't even know if you're a woman), but you can be pretty nasty at times...my way of letting you know it's getting old. Anyway appreciate the debate. We are different in a lot of ways, but I'm sure there are commonalities. I bet we both think you're smart. I bet we both hate North Korea

Multicultural education most certainly fosters critical thinking. Anytime a student is forced to read different perspectives, it will lead to some level of cognitive dissonance.

I continue to believe that you are confusing terms. An education into the culture, mores, values, beliefs and religion is fine and in fact encouraged . However, multiculturalism as it is being practiced is a disaster. Look no further than Europe. If there is no assimilation, countries will implode. America has succeeded in the past because we all became Americans. If that ceases, we would become a nation divided amongst ourselves separated by our cultures, and we will fail.

For you see, our language, our laws, our Constitution, our beliefs and values may differ significantly from other cultures. If a person is unwilling to accept our American values and live by them, we will fail.

If immigrants don't accept equal rights for all, we will fail. If immigrants don't believe women are equal with men, we will fail. If Immigrants don't choose to speak English, we will fail. If immigrants don't believe in the Rights defined in our Constitution, we will fail. If immigrants don't believe in, observe and obey our laws, we will fail.

These are some of the very things are occurring in Europe today. And I see the beginnings of some of these things in our own country.

Ah, the tolerance of the left at work. Critic thinking is not fostered by force. Indoctrination comes by force. To see exhibit A find a mirror.
You have such a cute and annoying way of dissecting a part of a statement, and using that to destroy the sentiment. The "forcing" I was referring to was assignment of reading or listening to lecture. I know you are aware of that, and are just trying to be annoying again. BTW, if the 15th century there were in fact people fighting against slavery and imperialism....those that were enslaved and oppressed.

I continue to believe that you are confusing terms. An education into the culture, mores, values, beliefs and religion is fine and in fact encouraged . However, multiculturalism as it is being practiced is a disaster. Look no further than Europe. If there is no assimilation, countries will implode. America has succeeded in the past because we all became Americans. If that ceases, we would become a nation divided amongst ourselves separated by our cultures, and we will fail.

For you see, our language, our laws, our Constitution, our beliefs and values may differ significantly from other cultures. If a person is unwilling to accept our American values and live by them, we will fail.

If immigrants don't accept equal rights for all, we will fail. If immigrants don't believe women are equal with men, we will fail. If Immigrants don't choose to speak English, we will fail. If immigrants don't believe in the Rights defined in our Constitution, we will fail. If immigrants don't believe in, observe and obey our laws, we will fail.

These are some of the very things are occurring in Europe today. And I see the beginnings of some of these things in our own country.
We got into a discussion of multicultural education and if it belongs in public education. I understand that it takes a different definition in political terms....we already went down that road, I understand my view of America and Americans as multicultural is flimsy. I still believe it to be true, but defer.

I'm curious what, in your opinion, are the main American values?

I'm curious what, in your opinion, are the main American values?

The values encapsulated in our Constitution and our bill of rights. The English language. Hard work. Individual responsibility. Obeying our laws. Contributing positively to society. These are examples of the values that Americans hold dear.

Reactions: Boomboom521
You have such a cute and annoying way of dissecting a part of a statement, and using that to destroy the sentiment. The "forcing" I was referring to was assignment of reading or listening to lecture. I know you are aware of that, and are just trying to be annoying again. BTW, if the 15th century there were in fact people fighting against slavery and imperialism....those that were enslaved and oppressed.
This is just where we'll disagree. I don't really need to see the side of the enslaved or the oppressed, at all. No one really does. Sure, it can be taught that it happened as a supporting piece to the overall historical event. That's no longer the case though, more energy and time is devoted to discussing the morality and multicultural impacts of issues like that vs actually discussing the significance of the event. And realistically, who cares at this point? It was 525 years ago, no one should be offended unless they are told to be.

History is written by the victor, they lost, we won, our version of the conquering white man bringing culture and sophistication to the savage is the reality. Taking away from that is a means to tear down the achievement in order to make it less relevant. Assimilation into our culture would be accepting the reality we created. Again, American exceptionalism.

Reactions: Boomboom521
This is just where we'll disagree. I don't really need to see the side of the enslaved or the oppressed, at all. No one really does. Sure, it can be taught that it happened as a supporting piece to the overall historical event. That's no longer the case though, more energy and time is devoted to discussing the morality and multicultural impacts of issues like that vs actually discussing the significance of the event. And realistically, who cares at this point? It was 525 years ago, no one should be offended unless they are told to be.

History is written by the victor, they lost, we won, our version of the conquering white man bringing culture and sophistication to the savage is the reality. Taking away from that is a means to tear down the achievement in order to make it less relevant. Assimilation into our culture would be accepting the reality we created. Again, American exceptionalism.
You have a very good way of standing by your point without belittling the counter point. I appreciate that very much, it is key in bringing back legitimate discourse in America....the hallmark of democracy. Not the BS we saw in this election for example (both candidates).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT