ADVERTISEMENT

The Pittsburgh Penguins....

Oh no......Sid out with a concussion supposedly having occurred in practice on Friday :scream:

No real news out of Pens camp other than he was planning to play against the CBJ on Saturday, and arrived at the rink that day not feeling well. Was apparently placed into concussion protocol this morning, after which the concussion diagnosis was made. Currently, there's no indication the injury had anything to do with the WCH.

Absolutely no prognosis at this time for his return.....though you'd have to think the team will redefine the word "careful" with bringing him back anything but very gradually. In other words, if he's having headaches for the next 6 weeks, we're probably not going to see him on the ice until at least Christmas. My own bigger concern is these kinds of injuries seem to become more common (and happen "easier") each succeeding time they occur. And Sid, obviously, is no "kid" anymore.

I think I'm more personally worried today than I was when he missed all that time a few years ago........

Oh no......Sid out with a concussion supposedly having occurred in practice on Friday :scream:

No real news out of Pens camp other than he was planning to play against the CBJ on Saturday, and arrived at the rink that day not feeling well. Was apparently placed into concussion protocol this morning, after which the concussion diagnosis was made. Currently, there's no indication the injury had anything to do with the WCH.

Absolutely no prognosis at this time for his return.....though you'd have to think the team will redefine the word "careful" with bringing him back anything but very gradually. In other words, if he's having headaches for the next 6 weeks, we're probably not going to see him on the ice until at least Christmas. My own bigger concern is these kinds of injuries seem to become more common (and happen "easier") each succeeding time they occur. And Sid, obviously, is no "kid" anymore.

I think I'm more personally worried today than I was when he missed all that time a few years ago........
Oh boy....actually I should say oh F*%K!!!! ....I share your sentiments re: the worry as of today...
And further to that...after thinking on this bad news...is Sid depending on how/when he recovers from this latest concussion evaluating his future just a bit more carefully now that he has that second Cup, amongst the latest and other international accomplishments? We know he's a fierce competitor, and personally I think the anointing of McDavid as the latest huge star, put a bit of a burr in his side this year to remain on top...so I'm not sure he's got hangin em up on his mind just yet but there once was a man in black and gold essentially forced to retire early from another debilitating ailment.....just thinking out loud.

Here's hoping this latest concussion is not too bad and has little effect on his long term........damn.

Sid skated this morning (TUE 10/11); thought by most.....and, I think, by Sid himself.....to be a comparatively positive sign. That said, nobody (including Sid) is making any kind of assessment on his timing to return. Something tells me we'll be pretty damned lucky to see him by November 1st.

BTW t, I hadn't thought about the notion he might be personally bothered by Connor McDavid's ascent.....or, at least the manner in which he's been covered the past couple months.....to the top of the hockey universe; even though he's been proclaimed once again by most observers since the Cup (and certainly the WCH) as best in the business.

As for the new concussion, I seriously doubt Mario will ever remotely suggest he think about hanging it up for medical reasons.....even though it might end up being a good idea.......so long as he remains a majority owner. Of course, I also realize that may not be the point you were trying to make......

So, Pens grab Mike Condon off the waiver wire today......I liked Condon last season; he played some damned good goal in a no-win situation in Montreal. Of course, the Habs signed Al Montoya in the off-season; though why is something I couldn't figure out at the time (nor now).

To me, this signing has two possible looks; the first is the Pens simply aren't committing anything to Tristan Jarry.......even for a lousy calendar few weeks where he might get 2 starts. Of course, he got benched on WB/S in last season's playoffs, for crying out loud......and the team brought in a kid goaltender in the 2nd round this past Draft.....which tells you TJ's future in Pittsburgh is pretty cloudy (if not dead and buried already).

Another possible scenario; Pens have already moved on emotionally from Fleury, and want Murray's new backup (meaning anyone but MAF) to get comfortable in Pittsburgh in advance of sending him packing. It's possible GMJR has Flower on the block already, and he'll be the first goaltender in the League to move to a contender who finally decides they can't live in goal with who they have.

I'm still guessing GMJR will hold out for a #2 pick in trade, but Flower will have to play pretty decent (or somebody will have to be fairly desperate) in order to draw that kind of offer.

Two Wednesday tidbits from this morning's Post Gazette:
  • Derrick Pouliot apparently was not optioned to WB/S, meaning he'll be on the active roster tomorrow night. However, assuming the typical 6-man defense set, he's expected to be a healthy scratch versus the Craps. I do find myself wondering if he's being kept in Pittsburgh as an insurance policy in the event Trevor Daley has trouble playing full strength (and 22 minutes/game) coming off the busted ankle.
  • Ex-Pens forward Ruslan Fedotenko has reportedly retired after playing the last two seasons at AHL Iowa. I don't know about you, but I think I was assuming Fedotenko had retired about 4 years ago (though, at 37, he's not as old as I thought).

Two Wednesday tidbits from this morning's Post Gazette:
  • Derrick Pouliot apparently was not optioned to WB/S, meaning he'll be on the active roster tomorrow night. However, assuming the typical 6-man defense set, he's expected to be a healthy scratch versus the Craps. I do find myself wondering if he's being kept in Pittsburgh as an insurance policy in the event Trevor Daley has trouble playing full strength (and 22 minutes/game) coming off the busted ankle.
  • Ex-Pens forward Ruslan Fedotenko has reportedly retired after playing the last two seasons at AHL Iowa. I don't know about you, but I think I was assuming Fedotenko had retired about 4 years ago (though, at 37, he's not as old as I thought).
1- I did think Fedotenko was long gone...wow.
2- Really hoping Daley is at or close to full speed...AND that Pouliot can finally assume some kind of traction otherwise, let's hope they get what they can for him before it's too late.
3- agree on Condon...on a team with a pulse as a backup or emergency call up he SHOULD do just fine.

I wonder if you're right on Flower and he departs sooner rather than later? Let's hope he has a good few games early to if anything showcase him a bit. If (well really when) he goes I wish him nothing but the best and he can land on a competitive roster....

Reasonably good news on Sid...

Less than 24 hrs...drop the puck and DEFEND THAT CUP!!! Let's Go Pens!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT