ADVERTISEMENT

The Pittsburgh Penguins....

You know, that's one of the few things from June.....which is seemingly decades ago by the standards of my continually failing memory.....that I can actually remember..

Reactions: torontoeers
Wow...I gotta get on this...heading to Florida in early December to represent...vs the Panthers :smiley:.

I saw the Ducks vs Panthers in Sunrise 3 years ago (I think) this coming November. It was an unusual experience; daytime temps were in the high 80s F during the day, and the BB&T Center was MAYBE half full that night.

I think Tim Thomas was in goal that night for Florida, and I'm pretty sure new Laffs savior Freddy Anderson started (as a rookie) for Anaheim. I seem to recall the Ducks were up 2-0 after the 1st, but the Panthers came all the way back to win 4-3 in what ended up being a pretty decent game.

Tickets at the time were cheap.......maybe $12US for a seat in the Upper EZ.....and I grabbed a Panthers T-shirt shot from one of those gatling guns during a break in the action. The thing I disliked the most was parking; $20US (or maybe $25) in the arena lot with no practical alternative in the area. Nothing like paying twice as much to park as it was to get a seat.

Obviously, things are fairly different in Sunrise these days; but who knows what their crowds will be like before Christmas. I find myself wondering if ownership will be jacking up Panthers ticket prices significantly for 2016/17. Of course, by Toronto standards, I suspect even new pricing will be pretty reasonable (if not downright cheap).

But if the Pens are in town that night, I'd expect a pretty decent contingent of black and gold in the crowd.

One of THE most interesting developments I've read about with the team coming to camp is the apparent physical transformation of Derrick Pouliot. It seems he's lost SO much weight this summer that some didn't recognize him.

Trying to figure out what that means exactly; has he FINALLY grown up and realized being a (relatively) high #1 pick no longer matters for him, or is this simply the outward acknowledgement he largely coasted the past few years on sheer talent (and at some point, he's at risk to regress into his old habits). Obviously, we hope it's the former; and it's no secret some need to have their backs to the wall before the light comes on.

Probably the most promising aspect of this equation to me is he's NOT guaranteed a spot coming in; and if he wants to stick long-term with the Stanley Cup Champs.....man, I'll just NEVER get tired of using that in the same sentence as PENGUINS.....he's got to do something different. Lets hope he's dressed the night the banner is raised; there's no doubt in my OWN mind this is a better team with a properly-motivated Pouliot in the Top 6.

ADDITIONAL: I just read DP spent 2 months this summer with Generalissimo Roberts at his Performance boot camp, evidently with the goal of improving his weight and cardiovascular conditioning.

Last edited:
Matt Murray's hand injury in the WCH now diagnosed as a broken hand; he's out 3-6 weeks.

I have no clue to what extent the Jets would be interested.......but if you were GMJR, would you offer up Olli Maatta for Jake Trouba ?? I know Maatta likes Pittsburgh, and he DID just sign the extension last season. But I assume he wouldn't be opposed to playing with his countryman, Pat Laine.

Of course, I have no clue if Rutherford has any interest in moving OM (or, for that matter, if he's actually interested in Trouba).

If you'e not seen them yet, new season masks for the Pens goaltenders. To me......and I may be over-analyzing this......Flower's almost shockingly plain mask (by comparison to those he's worn in the past, as well as to pretty much every other goalie mask in the League) indicates whatever enthusiasm he's previously had for the franchise is long gone.

http://www.pensburgh.com/2016/9/27/...e-new-gold-goalie-masks-and-they-re-beautiful

Not surprised Consol bailed on their naming agreement for the arena since their business has been so deep in the pits. Josh Yohe says today that Consol Energy remains a sponsor of the arena, just at a lower investment level. Not that anyone asked/cares, but I like the name PPG associated with the building just fine; I'm less excited about the word PAINTS in the name.

Meanwhile, I see Pouliot currently is skating in camp with Warsofsky in the 4th defense pairing (after Letang-Dumoulin, Maatta-Daley, Cole-Schultz) and he's evidently not close to making the Top 6. Speaking of the defense, I just love the fact Dumoulin.....after a single full season in the League......is solidly in the top pairing. I just wish he were a little bigger; meaning, closer to 220 pounds rather than under 210. I also like that 3rd pairing; put the offensive guy (with pretty decent wheels) with the stay-at-home vet.

As for the #2 pair, if Maatta has shaken his heath issues.....too early to call that one......it would seem to be pretty solid as well. And speaking of the #2 pair, I'm also reading that Daley has been skating freely with no lingering issues from his broken ankle (though he's not dressing for Wednesday's game). Back to Pouliot for a second, Yohe reports teams prefer vets to prospects in that #7 spot; which does make sense in the plug-him-in-for-an-injured-player role.

Yohe isn't currently speculating if Pouliot will be sent back to WB/S or placed on the market. You wouldn't think the Pens would have much trouble finding trading partners for DP; Lord knows, everyone thinks they can turn around an ex-#1 pick (especially a fairly high one). The only question is what can you get back for him; maybe another underachieving #1 ???

I doubt they can put together anything (which includes Pouliot) that would interest Edmonton in return for a package including Yakupov. Of course, I'm not sure I want Yakupov......

Toronto not sure if you follow the blue jays but happy to see Troy Tulowitzki having a strong post season up to now

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/205298986/troy-tulowitzki-starts-game-2-with-home-run/
Oh we're following alright Colo...I hear it was not popular when Tulo was traded...he has battled a few injuries over the last year and half but really seems to round into form when it matters...I like his no nonsense attitude (along with Donaldson here)...however I am no Bautista fan...his attitude pisses me off frankly. I hope he's gone next year. Not sure if you saw the beer come flyin outta the stands the other night in the WC game vs the O's but it pissed a lot of folks off here...doesn't represent us well. Cops apparently found the goof....

This city , and country really is just electric for the team...there is a chant for Tulo when he comes to the plate now too...was it same there in Denver? Just curious.

Oh we're following alright Colo...I hear it was not popular when Tulo was traded...he has battled a few injuries over the last year and half but really seems to round into form when it matters...I like his no nonsense attitude (along with Donaldson here)...however I am no Bautista fan...his attitude pisses me off frankly. I hope he's gone next year. Not sure if you saw the beer come flyin outta the stands the other night in the WC game vs the O's but it pissed a lot of folks off here...doesn't represent us well. Cops apparently found the goof....

This city , and country really is just electric for the team...there is a chant for Tulo when he comes to the plate now too...was it same there in Denver? Just curious.

Yes we did have the Tulo chant. I am glad he is dong well and was happy he got traded to a winner. It was sad to see him go but the Rockies owners are a disgrace. They won't spend the money and Tulo deserved to be on a winner. This fall im rooting for the Jays.

Reactions: torontoeers

Well Texas said they wanted the Blue Jays all along to avenge 2015. I guess be careful what you ask for. Maybe in 2017 the Jays will be going for the hat trick.

Well Texas said they wanted the Blue Jays all along to avenge 2015. I guess be careful what you ask for. Maybe in 2017 the Jays will be going for the hat trick.
I am really hopeful for a Cleveland match up next round...not only cause I am sick of the Bosox but would like to see some unusual suspects in the ALDS. And my bro-in - laws and their buddies will make the fairly brief 4.5 hr road trip down...my Fall is wrapped up in WVU football, and namely TCU in 2 weeks so the wife would literally kill Ole Torontoeers if he tried to sell the Jays road trip with the boys on her lol...damn!

My sister was at tonight's game with my late (2015) mothers Jays shirt in tow... , above the bullpen....Mom was a Jays lifer to say the least...always there at my softball games as a youth cheering me on, and always cheering on her Blue Jays...never missed a game of either...ever! Emotional night for sure...
Bring on the next round and keep it up Tulo!!!

I am really hopeful for a Cleveland match up next round...not only cause I am sick of the Bosox but would like to see some unusual suspects in the ALDS. And my bro-in - laws and their buddies will make the fairly brief 4.5 hr road trip down...my Fall is wrapped up in WVU football, and namely TCU in 2 weeks so the wife would literally kill Ole Torontoeers if he tried to sell the Jays road trip with the boys on her lol...damn!

My sister was at tonight's game with my late (2015) mothers Jays shirt in tow... , above the bullpen....Mom was a Jays lifer to say the least...always there at my softball games as a youth cheering me on, and always cheering on her Blue Jays...never missed a game of either...ever! Emotional night for sure...
Bring on the next round and keep it up Tulo!!!

Tulo was on deck i was hoping he would get the winning hit. He was the tying run. I hope he keeps it up in the Alds.

ADVERTISEMENT