ADVERTISEMENT

The Obama years should teach us one

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
very important lesson: it doesn't matter how good natured you are or how well intentioned you might be - if you don't have the courage to lead then you'll fail.........

very important lesson: it doesn't matter how good natured you are or how well intentioned you might be - if you don't have the courage to lead then you'll fail.........

Explain to me how he failed in the area of leadership.

"I have a pen and a phone"

Maybe he could have done better, I don't know, but one thing you have to recognize. Both houses were GOP controlled and it was a do nothing Congress. Least amount of Bills passed in history, lowest approval rating in history. They couldn't even keep the government running. They never met the deadline to have a budget in place.

Maybe he could have done better, I don't know, but one thing you have to recognize. Both houses were GOP controlled and it was a do nothing Congress. Least amount of Bills passed in history, lowest approval rating in history. They couldn't even keep the government running. They never met the deadline to have a budget in place.

"We don’t mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back.”"

I'm sure that, and forcing ACA through the way the Dems did, really helped bipartisanship.

Reactions: atlkvb

That is not true. When Obama first took office, he enjoyed a super majority in Congress. He also enjoyed majorities in both houses of Congress (though they started to fade) for a very long time. He lost those majorities for a reason...

"We don’t mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back.”"

I'm sure that, and forcing ACA through the way the Dems did, really helped bipartisanship.

Looks like those "shovel ready" jobs weren't so "shovel ready"? Yuk-yuk he joked...way to encourage support for that bogus stimulus.

"You didn't build that!"...way to rally the folks.

"Elections have consequences, and I won"...way to build consensus with the opposing party.

...and this beauty of leadership after the Travon Martin incident:

"that could have been my Son"... Yep, real piece of Leadership there not even understanding what actually had happened and who caused it!

True statesmanship.

Last edited:
They never met the deadline to have a budget in place.

Because he never submitted one for them on time to vote on. CR's ran the Government because he never could get his act together on his own budgets as required by Law.

Just like he signed Executive orders to avoid going through Congress to get his Legislation passed instead. Real brave leadership there.

Last edited:
That is not true. When Obama first took office, he enjoyed a super majority in Congress. He also enjoyed majorities in both houses of Congress (though they started to fade) for a very long time. He lost those majorities for a reason...

I should have made it clearer - in his second term and that's when Congress wouldn't pass any Bills and had the lowest approval rating in history. During the government shut down in 2013 (113th Congress), the GOP controlled the House and the Dems had a small majority in the Senate, which was clearly his second term. 2014 election gave control of Congress (both houses) to the GOP.

The 111th Congress (2009-2011), when Obama took office, is considered one of the most productive and experienced Congresses in history. He had the majority of both Houses for two years (not a "very long time").

The 111th Congress (2009-2011), when Obama took office, is considered one of the most productive and experienced Congresses in history

By whom? Compared to which Congress?

So is that why they (Harry Reid and the Dems) broke years of tradition in the Senate and removed the 2/3rds majority required to pass major legislation as well as the minority's filibuster option?

Is that why they forced through the ACA refusing to even allow floor amendments and then attached it to a budget reconciliation instead of a straight up floor vote by the full House on the actual legislation? Not calling it a "tax" to pass it, then arguing for it being a "tax" when it was challenged in the Supreme Court.
http://obamacarefacts.com/supreme-court-obamacare/

Real leadership on that.

Last edited:
They never met the deadline to have a budget in place.

Under the Constitution, the President first proposes (sets the budget) submits it to Congress, who then votes on it, and disposes through the appropriations process once the spending agreements are signed by the President.

When there is no budget for them to vote on (Obama) they have to fund the Government through continuing resolutions.

Real leadership there too.

Under the Constitution, the President first proposes (sets the budget) submits it to Congress, who then votes on it, and disposes through the appropriations process once the spending agreements are signed by the President.

When there is no budget for them to vote on (Obama) they have to fund the Government through continuing resolutions.

Real leadership there too.
Yes, the president proposes a budget. Then the House has to pass it, and finally the Senate has to pass it, and then they have to pass appropriations bills. Yes, Obama tended to be a few weeks late with his proposals, but you can go back as far as you want to look, through administrations of both parties, and count on the fingers of one hand the number of times Congress has actually completed both the budget and the required appropriations by September 30, and that's why we've operated under CRs for most of the last 40 years. So stop blaming the president for the inability or sheer unwillingness of the House and Senate to fulfill their duties.

Obama tended to be a few weeks late

He has to get that budget to them BY LAW within the proscribed Constitutional provisional time limits. But who cares about the Law when you have a phone and pen and a Media to blame Republicans for refusing to pass a budget?

Yes, the president proposes a budget. Then the House has to pass it, and finally the Senate has to pass it, and then they have to pass appropriations bills. Yes, Obama tended to be a few weeks late with his proposals, but you can go back as far as you want to look, through administrations of both parties, and count on the fingers of one hand the number of times Congress has actually completed both the budget and the required appropriations by September 30, and that's why we've operated under CRs for most of the last 40 years. So stop blaming the president for the inability or sheer unwillingness of the House and Senate to fulfill their duties.

countryroads89 is the one who blamed the Republicans for not passing a budget, talk to him.

You are correct in your post, but I was just correcting where he first placed the blame for no budgets.

Congress wouldn't pass any Bills

2014 election gave control of Congress (both houses) to the GOP.

Yep, Americans sure "hated" the job Congress was doing all right. That's why they voted Republican majorities into Office after 2010, they (voters) were just so pissed off with how little had been done in Congress up to that point.

Last edited:
You can't show facts to that person. Some people are just like that.

A few issues. First of all, in Obama's first two years, he had complete control, including Senate and House. Then the 2010 debacle happened due to Obamacare and the Tea Party (because of the bailout of Wall Street, huge deficits, etc.). Dem politicians agree that Obama did not spend nearly enough time building relationships on the Hill to facilitate compromise.

Republicans produced budgets, Dems refused to consider. Dems strategy was to use Continuing Resolutions to fund government rather than negotiate and adopt a budget. The GOP only seemed to happy to go along especially after sequester. Very poor government operation.

I should have made it clearer - in his second term and that's when Congress wouldn't pass any Bills and had the lowest approval rating in history. During the government shut down in 2013 (113th Congress), the GOP controlled the House and the Dems had a small majority in the Senate, which was clearly his second term. 2014 election gave control of Congress (both houses) to the GOP.

The 111th Congress (2009-2011), when Obama took office, is considered one of the most productive and experienced Congresses in history. He had the majority of both Houses for two years (not a "very long time").

And produced what may be the worst legislation in history. Obamacare, the disaster. A stimulus that even lib Economists admit did not stimulate. Producing bills is not the issue, producing legislation that advances the country and has majority support is how you define success.

Because he never submitted one for them on time to vote on. CR's ran the Government because he never could get his act together on his own budgets as required by Law.

Just like he signed Executive orders to avoid going through Congress to get his Legislation passed instead. Real brave leadership there.
Why would Obama want a budget. He added a trillion dollars into 2009 budget to kick start the economy. With use of CR, that kept the trillion excess in place even tho economy had restarted according to US Gov. Then, they operated on another CR keeping the excess spending budget in place with that trillion. Would have to research to see if another CR was floated or they actually did a budget. Amos 'n Andy didn't engage in such actions.

Why would Obama want a budget. He added a trillion dollars into 2009 budget to kick start the economy. With use of CR, that kept the trillion excess in place even tho economy had restarted according to US Gov. Then, they operated on another CR keeping the excess spending budget in place with that trillion. Would have to research to see if another CR was floated or they actually did a budget. Amos 'n Andy didn't engage in such actions.

Try convincing countryroads89 of what you've explained here. He thinks it was Republicans refusing to pass Obama's budgets.

Christ on a crutch. Presidents don't pass budgets. Presidents don't pass CRs. It's on Congress. Maybe if I typed more slowly? It's ... on ... Congress. Oh, the ignorance. I love the partially educated!

Christ on a crutch. Presidents don't pass budgets. Presidents don't pass CRs. It's on Congress. Maybe if I typed more slowly? It's ... on ... Congress. Oh, the ignorance. I love the partially educated!

Correct! They just don't offer 'em (in this case).

Which they are required by Law to do I might add.

Pretty sure historians will treat him well.

The Russians sure will. Their history since Hillary and Obama's "reset" has been nothing short of spectacular. It's been a new era of international influence and power for Mother Russia.

Why they even had enough going on to influence our election! They've been on a roll. Hope the historians give Obama credit for Russia's "Golden age" since he's the one who laughed at Romney during a 2012 debate for having the nerve to suggest that Russia was our biggest enemy.

Was Romney nuts, or has Obama proven that he should really get credit for the resurgence of the Russian Bear?

Last edited:
Explain to me how he failed in the area of leadership.
He could never build consensus. He demonized his political opponents and continually blamed them for the lack of consensus. Then when he found his party without control of Congress was still unyielding. He’s poor judgment gave space for ISIS to flourish. His misread of Arab Spring put the Levant and North Africa in crisis and allowed Russia’s influence grew in the Middle East. He was an ideologue, not a leader. The biggest difference between Obama and Trump is the latter is a leader and not an ideologue.

Bipartisanship has not been in play for at least 12 years -- maybe longer. The Total Congress needs an overhaul.

He could never build consensus. He demonized his political opponents and continually blamed them for the lack of consensus. Then when he found his party without control of Congress was still unyielding. He’s poor judgment gave space for ISIS to flourish. His misread of Arab Spring put the Levant and North Africa in crisis and allowed Russia’s influence grew in the Middle East. He was an ideologue, not a leader. The biggest difference between Obama and Trump is the latter is a leader and not an ideologue.

Can't lead but he had troops go into hostile territory and take out the world's most wanted terrorist without a single casualty.

Can't lead but never got us into another war.

Can't lead but got Iran to turn over complete inspection authority to us for all nuclear facilities.

Can't lead but never gave in to continual antagonism by a deranged leader in North Korea.

Can't lead but strengthened relationships with every single country on the face of the earth with the exception of Russia and North Korea.

Looks like those "shovel ready" jobs weren't so "shovel ready"? Yuk-yuk he joked...way to encourage support for that bogus stimulus.

"You didn't build that!"...way to rally the folks.

"Elections have consequences, and I won"...way to build consensus with the opposing party.

...and this beauty of leadership after the Travon Martin incident:

"that could have been my Son"... Yep, real piece of Leadership there not even understanding what actually had happened and who caused it!

True statesmanship.

Amazing how world views are so different. Need to respect your opinion but from my seat we couldnt have a more differing views. I consider myself a moderate...be it republican or democrat but espousing the political rhetoric of your cable de jour that supports whatever world view you have is not for me.

Last edited:
Can't lead but he had troops go into hostile territory and take out the world's most wanted terrorist without a single casualty.
How do you figure that’s some big accomplishment for Obama? You need all the leadership of Troy Landry to fill Obama’s role in the killing of bin Laden...
25cd9df1629eb14e259549b4a79b1edd.jpg

Can't lead but never got us into another war.
Libya? You want to talk about that?
Can't lead but got Iran to turn over complete inspection authority to us for all nuclear facilities.
There is nothing complete about the inspections authority. The Obama admin didn’t even argue that.
Can't lead but never gave in to continual antagonism by a deranged leader in North Korea.
Never gave in to Kim Jong Un? LOL! You know your list pretty weak when it includes as a leadership accomplishment, “Never gave in to Kim Fatty III."
Can't lead but strengthened relationships with every single country on the face of the earth with the exception of Russia and North Korea.
Israel begs to differ.

WAs this during his first term

That legislation was passed in 2001- - I am pretty sure that was more than twelve years ago.
I made no argument against your 12 years comment. I was just noting the difference between GWB’s methodology coming into office and Obama’s. GWB--seek consensus and build good will. Obama--divide and conquer.

Was that not due mostly to to the lack of bipartianship.

Well, whenever Republicans tried to offer amendments to it, they weren't even allowed to bring votes to the floor so you tell me? The Dems were in the majority then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT