ADVERTISEMENT

That's life.

eers-to-ya

Senior
Jun 8, 2008
atwater ohio
Well, here's one guy that won't be seeing WV win the natty in football or basketball. Was really looking forward to seeing what Brown and staff can do, but I was diagnosed yesterday with Stage IV liver cancer and given about six months to live if I don't accept treatment. I'm inclined not to. I just want to go home. Since liver cancer almost always starts somewhere else there is probably more lurking somewhere else. Will find out more tomorrow when I get a PET Scan. Don't know why I'm posting this except that you guys are the only people that know what those natties mean to me. Damned chemical companies and their damned, evil Agent Orange! PS, see that cute little pug to the left? Had to have her put down Tuesday night. When it rains it pours.

Well, here's one guy that won't be seeing WV win the natty in football or basketball. Was really looking forward to seeing what Brown and staff can do, but I was diagnosed yesterday with Stage IV liver cancer and given about six months to live if I don't accept treatment. I'm inclined not to. I just want to go home. Since liver cancer almost always starts somewhere else there is probably more lurking somewhere else. Will find out more tomorrow when I get a PET Scan. Don't know why I'm posting this except that you guys are the only people that know what those natties mean to me. Damned chemical companies and their damned, evil Agent Orange! PS, see that cute little pug to the left? Had to have her put down Tuesday night. When it rains it pours.
Prayers and strength to you and loved ones.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
I will pray healing and peace for you.

Man, eers-to ya! I am so sorry to hear this. It is hard enough to lose a furry family member without getting the devastating news you received on top of it. I feel so badly for you and your family. I have said the same thing about wanting to live long enough to see a NC in basketball or football. I was at least hoping for women's soccer a couple of seasons ago, but, alas, that did not come to fruition either. I was at Fiesta Bowl against ND when Major went down in the first series. I will always believe we would have won that game if not for that injury. Regardless, my thoughts go out to you and your family and hoping your PET Scan reveals more optimistic news. Best wishes!

Monsanto man? Nitro is full of folks with liver cancers from the chemicals left in the ground from Monsanto explosions in '49 and '53. That plant supplied most of the Agent Orange that later went to Vietnam. Producing that stuff killed a second cousin of mine, a girlfriends Dad, and my Great Uncle. What did they have in common? They worked at Monsanto, and Monsanto didn't tell the rank and file what the stuff they were producing could do to them.

Do what you feel like as far as accepting treatment. I recommend Hospice highly if you decide to go the no treatment route. Kept my Mom and in-laws comfortable to the end when they faced similar decisions

Sorry to hear this sad news. I had a brother die from liver and kidney cancer 3 years ago. A veteran of Vietnam War.

Praying for you.

Sorry to hear this sad news. I had a brother die from liver and kidney cancer 3 years ago. A veteran of Vietnam War.

Praying for you.
My best friend died from cancer almost 21 years ago. As I recall, the doctor told him it was a somewhat rare form of cancer and that it may have very well been related to his service in Vietnam.

Respect!

If I got that news I’d probably refuse treatment too and start enjoying the rest of my life on earth as best I could. You got my respect-Not that you need it-and you are brave!

I am sorry. My prayers to you and your family in a difficult time.

(Also condolences on the loss of your beautiful pug.)

Very sorry to hear and I may God bless you.
I hope you get good news from the PET Scan!

Best wishes, whatever you decide. I’m 66 and wonder if I’ll live to see us win a championship.

Monsanto man? Nitro is full of folks with liver cancers from the chemicals left in the ground from Monsanto explosions in '49 and '53. That plant supplied most of the Agent Orange that later went to Vietnam. Producing that stuff killed a second cousin of mine, a girlfriends Dad, and my Great Uncle. What did they have in common? They worked at Monsanto, and Monsanto didn't tell the rank and file what the stuff they were producing could do to them.

Do what you feel like as far as accepting treatment. I recommend Hospice highly if you decide to go the no treatment route. Kept my Mom and in-laws comfortable to the end when they faced similar decisions
My grandpa died of cancer. He worked there, not sure the dates but he knew the nasty stuff he was dealing with.

Sorry to hear this...My Dad had agent orange and was linked to his cancer. He got it approved a few months before he died and my Mother got a lot more benefit money. One of the last things my Father said when I last talked to him was he hopes that I will see a WVU national championship in my lifetime since he wasn't going to see one.....

My hopes are with you and a miraculous turn of events...

Sorry Brother and Prayers.....

Enjoy all the good days you are given from here on. We all should. I will pray for you and yours.

That's awful news. Don't give up, and you're in our prayers. Every time something like this happens it reminds me that we should stop sweatin' the small stuff and enjoy the time given us. God bless you, man!

Reactions: locustwv
So sorry to hear the news - prayers going up. Reading your message I thought about how
this board does indeed bring us close even if we never meet face-to-face. Being
a Mountaineer is indeed special

Reactions: jtturner09
My feeble words will fail to offer solace, but i pray each day you have left is as full of joy as can be.
Thanks you guys. It's comforting to know that so many people with no direct ties care so much for a stranger. It's also enlightening to see who hasn't posted. I'll be fine. I'm good with it and anxious to go home ^. You know, the cloud. I am worried about my wife, but she's resilient. And I'll really miss my granddaughters. Anyway, love you guys just because you are Mountaineers. Go Mountaineers!

Tim MC Graw said it best,and this is my motto also "Live like you were doing" :pray::tada::birthday:

I rarely post on here anymore, but still follow the board everyday. God Bless!

Thanks you guys. It's comforting to know that so many people with no direct ties care so much for a stranger. It's also enlightening to see who hasn't posted. I'll be fine. I'm good with it and anxious to go home ^. You know, the cloud. I am worried about my wife, but she's resilient. And I'll really miss my granddaughters. Anyway, love you guys just because you are Mountaineers. Go Mountaineers!
I've been thinking about you all day..I'm a few years younger than you at 65 . I had a heart attack in 2014...I wasn't afraid to die I just worried about leaving my wife behind..Your words will be with me for the rest of my life.

Just clicked on this. Man, that is some serious news. We all have a number in our pocket. I hope you can find some joy in friends, family and this beautiful planet we live on with the time you have left. Whatever time we have left, it tends to go by all too fast. Hoping for the best for you.

Reactions: pressvirginia

My heart goes out to you and your family and I wish you the best possible outcome, whatever that may be.

As difficult as it is, remember this provides you one more oportunity to teach your grand-daughters a valuable lesson in how to be strong and proud, even when the chips are down. They will remember your example, and it will be a powerful one.

Reactions: Wahama78
I watched my dad and brother die of cancer plus dad's mother,brother and sister. We all must live life with the goal of reaching heaven so all will be good in the end.

I read this years ago and it stuck with me, I don't know who said it.
"It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives"
I hope you lived your life to its fullest!

Just give them some good memories while you can.

We are all “strangers” here (some stranger than others), but we all have a connection here. That being said, go enjoy your family.

I always enjoyed your posts...I will miss your input here.

Heartbreaking. My uncle has had an amazing life. His last wish in life is to see WVU win one, he knows it probably won't be in his lifetime but the Mountaineers mean so much to so many. He is a Morris Harvey grad but loves them just the same. Season ticket holder since '68. I grew up having Marshall, UK basketball, and OSU football shoved down my throat by WSAZ in the valley back in the 70's. He knocked sense into me.

As bad as I want to see WVU win one I want it more for those who don't have many seasons left. There were times in my life that the diversion and love for the football and basketball program helped carry me through some dark times. It was pretty special after beating Georgia in the Sugar though.. especially since I live here now.

I watched my dad and brother die of cancer plus dad's mother,brother and sister. We all must live life with the goal of reaching heaven so all will be good in the end.
The goal of heaven has already been met on our behalf by Jesus Christ. We can do nothing to earn it except one thing which is to believe and accept that Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins and that he arose from the dead.

The goal of heaven has already been met on our behalf by Jesus Christ. We can do nothing to earn it except one thing which is to believe and accept that Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins and that he arose from the dead.
I've been living on that truth for 47 years. I'll be fine. Once the Lord turns me loose and says " go explore child" I'm going to meet some really interesting people and reconnect with some old friends and family. In many ways I can't wait.Thanks for being bold with the only truth that matters. It's funny. You might say I got this cancer in Nam. Maybe so, maybe not, but, it's a fact that I got my salvation in Nam, and no one can take that away.

No words can ease your mind brother, but God gives his strongest tests to his bravest warriors. I will be thinking of you when the day comes and WVU wins it all. God be with you in your fight, my friend!

No words can ease your mind brother, but God gives his strongest tests to his bravest warriors. I will be thinking of you when the day comes and WVU wins it all. God be with you in your fight, my friend!

I echo this statement as well. Be well, fight like hell if you can, and best of wishes "eers-to-ya".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT