ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Valley OL Zach Williamson commits to Louisville—WVU coaches must do better

WVpride304

All-Conference
Dec 27, 2017
WVU coaches let another good WV kid out. Zach Williamson from Spring Valley High in Huntington area commits to Louisville. Dorian Etheridge from Capital High also at Louisville and dominating. Elijah Bell future NFL WR was overlooked badly. Major choke job by WVU coaches on in state recruiting. This is getting really detrimental. Just sad. No excuse. 7-5 is acceptable I guess. WVU hasn’t even got Kerry Martin or Richardson to commit. What the hell. Epic fail.

#1 recruit in USA in Huntington, WV in Darnell Wright. We have to do better. We need 3-4 more in state kids a year cause the talent has and is growing in state. Reality.

A 2-Star lineman commits elsewhere despite owning a WVU offer since February

But..... coaches’ fault?

Last edited:
Reactions: mason78
WVU coaches let another good WV kid out. Zach Williamson from Spring Valley High in Huntington area commits to Louisville. Dorian Etheridge from Capital High also at Louisville and dominating. Elijah Bell future NFL WR was overlooked badly. Major choke job by WVU coaches on in state recruiting. This is getting really detrimental. Just sad. No excuse. 7-5 is acceptable I guess. WVU hasn’t even got Kerry Martin or Richardson to commit. What the hell. Epic fail.

#1 recruit in USA in Huntington, WV in Darnell Wright. We have to do better. We need 3-4 more in state kids a year cause the talent has and is growing in state. Reality.
Would be nice if Lyons would get rolling on the Puskar Center reno's and also do a sprucing up job on the press box so it isn't an absolute eye sore. Just sayin'..............

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Absolutely. But then again most of us don't have stars in our eyes when it comes to clueless DH.

How is it the coaches’ fault?

Did he not have an offer?

Did he not have an offer 4 months before the school he commited do offered?

Mountaineerguy your spot on the press box is terrible looking and the end zones are big ugly spaces with no fans, noise or seats. It’s puzzling. Fix that mess. Touchdown Terrace was a joke. Fix the end zones and move students down there more. Probably hurts recruiting.

DH and Gibson have to start recruiting better in state. This is alarming. Why the hell cant they get Richardson and Martin committed? Martin we disrespected badly and waited too long to offer when he clearly blows away most DB prospects we bring in. He’s tall and athletic. We will end up recruiting 6-7 DBs out of state and 4 will be D2 level or end up out of football in 2 years. Lol...truth...they will bring in some sadly awful out of state players that blow ass hard. It’s always like that. Shame.

More bovine feces. Why do we not understand that kids have minds of their own? They have (t families (and many others) who are also influencing their actions. SO many facets to the situation that are seldom considered. It is far easier to employ tunnel vision and simply blame the coaching staff for 'letting one more GET AWAY'. Seems the staff did all they could in recruiting him. He CHOSE to take his game to Louisville. HIS CHOICE! What is it those of you so Hell bent to blame the coaching staff would have had them do that they didn't? (Please, supply meaningful FACTS and not the usual crap that gets spread!)
I would love to have us bring in EVERY WV kid that we offer. Would be great and would look quite good to all observers. Ain't gonna ever happen, so put away the bull horn, take a massive dose of reality and reason and stop the constant harangue of the coaches. Have any of you that share the view that I discuss EVER tried to hire a person who had several similar/'equivalent' offers? If so, you probably used salary/benefits as the hook to better your position. Take THAT off the table in this instance (at least we operate from the position that these are not the major lures) and realize that it IS a tough job. People who persist in having no ability to engage in adult discussion, focus ONLY on one aspect out of the multitudes and are anything but supportive of the program supply nothing of a positive nature and are but pains in the a$$ to the staff and most others who read or hear their dribble.

A bigtime coach who wins big at WVU would have WVU rocking and cleaning up in state stars. If Saban or Kirby Smart was here at WVU Darnell Wright would be committed to WVU. If RROD would have stayed he would have built WVU to a perennial top 10 power in any conference. He left a great thing. He and WVU were a match made in Heaven. I dislike him but it was a great match. He was going to get every kid he wanted in WV. He had WV kids all looking at WVU. Switzer, Moss and guys like that would have played at WVU with a winning coach and that momentum. With the new on rise, growing WV talent those coaches would build a wall around WV easy. WVU would have that juice.

A bigtime coach who wins big at WVU would have WVU rocking and cleaning up in state stars. If Saban or Kirby Smart was here at WVU Darnell Wright would be committed to WVU. If RROD would have stayed he would have built WVU to a perennial top 10 power in any conference. He left a great thing. He and WVU were a match made in Heaven. I dislike him but it was a great match. He was going to get every kid he wanted in WV. He had WV kids all looking at WVU. Switzer, Moss and guys like that would have played at WVU with a winning coach and that momentum. With the new on rise, growing WV talent those coaches would build a wall around WV easy. WVU would have that juice.

Fraud had his chance fled for greener pastures. A place named Michigan that he set back 25 years and possibly more. Then to dead dessert of Arizona and failed to water the cactus of the wildcats in Arizona. Drying up what little they had. If Fraud was still here the program would be the same or worse.

Fraud road the coattails of Pat White to a new job at Michigan.

WVU currently has 32 in state WV players on the team.

1. Derrek Pitts CB 6-0 180 SO Dunbar, WV
2. Dylan Tonkery LB 6-0 222 SO Bridgeport, WV
3. Billy Kinney P 6-4 221 SR Morgantown, WV
4. Druw Bowen WR 6-2 209 SO Charleston, WV
5. Deamonte Lindsay S 6-1 207 JR Martinsburg, WV
6. Chase Riley WR 6-0 185 FR Shinnston, WV
7. Evan Staley PK 6-1 184 SO Romney, WV
8. Casey Legg PK 6-4 199 FR Charleston, WV
9. Shea Campbell LB 5-11 240 JR Morgantown, WV
10. Brady Watson RB 5-6 213 JR Ridgeley, WV
11. Dante Bonamico S 5-8 180 SO Bridgeport, WV
12. Elijah Drummond TE 6-0 231 SO Bridgeport, WV
13. Reese Donahue DL 6-4 276 JR Milton, WV
14. Joseph Turner TE 6-0 228 FR Morgantown, WV
15. Nick Rush DL 5-11 280 FR Clarksburg, WV
16. Jake Abbott LB 6-0 222 FR Fairmont, WV
17. Kyle Poland LS 6-2 229 SO Morgantown, WV
18. Dante Stills DL 6-4 289 FR Fairmont, WV
19. Darius Stills DL 6-1 296 SO Fairmont, WV
20. Nate Green DL 6-4 257 SO Wellsburg, WV
21. Luke Williams LB 6-0 232 SO Parkersburg, WV
22. Noah Drummond OL 6-0 282 FR Bridgeport, WV
23. Zach Davis OL 6-2 316 SO Saint Marys, WV
24. Garrett Smyton OL 6-1 310 FR Elkins, WV
25. Adam Stilley OL 6-0 279 FR Martinsburg, WV
26. Josh Ritchie DL 6-0 267 FR Morgantown, WV
27. Daniel Buchanan DL 6-4 309 FR Gilbert, WV
28. Stone Wolfley DL 6-4 260 JR Morgantown, WV
30. Trevon Wesco TE 6-4 274 SR Martinsburg, WV
31. Dalton McDaniels DL 5-10 277 FR Morgantown, WV
32. Sam Cookman DL 6-2 239 FR Romney, WV

Hmmmmm, I guess we don't recruit WV players. 304, Your a dumb ass.

Tell me again Pride when WVU offers and the kid goes somewhere else.......what exactly is WVU supposed to do.

I eagerly await your response.

You're wasting your time. He doesn't back up what he says he only post dirt to stir the pot to make mud and fling it against the wall. He is clueless.

If WVU signed a 2-Star lineman from OH or N.C. then there would be five threads about how recruiting is down

Or more likely there would be five threads about how we "recruited" more depth for our shallow lines and landed a huge 2-star who is under-rated etc. Keep tryin'.

Previously you said 10 to 12 and other times you said 20 now it's 3 to 4. Which is it?

You're wasting your time. He doesn't back up what he says he only post dirt to stir the pot to make mud and fling it against the wall. He is clueless.
I know....we all are beating our head discussing anything with him.

He isn't going ever change his opinion...and like you said...he just throws shit out there like 90 percent of people hate the NBA and never backs up anything like you said.

You lack the knowledge of what a kid really wants. Unless you're some kind of pervert. Which is at least 87% possible.

Reactions: jtturner09
Allen...I agree we can't force guys to stay at home, but my point is: we go hard after two stars from other states and folks taking the attitude that this kid was only a two star and not quality enough for the Mountaineers is insulting to anyone with any connection to the state...and understanding of the recruiting process.

Also, DH is running an undermanned scholarship roster now...the same thing fans who love him criticized his predecessor for. He also sucks at recruiting and retaining QBs, instead relying on transfers. Real depth problems now covered up by the hype over Grier.

Bottom line, DH can do better in the state than offering quality state players a non scholarship spot. BTW: he could do a lot better in talent rich Florida as well. He recruits like a 7 win per season coach and it shows....in depth and in results against other D1 schools.

The issue....

Though they are in the State of West Virginia, WVU Does NOT have a huge presence in the Ohio Valley area... KY, Louisville, OSU, TENN, just to name a few...

One thing the current staff could do, is to have more HS Football Coaches Clinics, held in Huntington & Morgantown. If they formed a little closer relationships with the HS coaches, it may help a little, but your still not going to get every 2-3-4-5 star from that area, simply because they grew up a fan of another program.

If Darnell Wright was from Morgantown, Fairmont, Wheeling, Charleston, Beckley, it would be different.... Huntington area is almost like a different State in many ways..

I really dont blame our Staff for not getting a Huntington area recruit... Though it would be great to land D Wright, and my ole my How the state of WV would support him & his family, which hopefully he considers. If he performs that well at P5 level, he would have his Name & Face forever memorialized on the practice or stadium facilities, because hes from WV, I doubt he would receive that level of support from other program fans. That said, you cant blame him or upset at WVU staff if he goes elsewhere..

I never said 20. I say add an additional 3-4 every year. That makes 7-8 a year from WV. Full ride. Maybe 9-10 some years. That’s if we recruit 20-25 players.

Our out of state recruits suck at a 50% or more ratio. It’s bad. What do we have to lose???

WVU greats Robert Walker and Mike Collins were Huntington boys. A good WV coach lands Darnell Wright. He’s a WV kid.

WVU greats Robert Walker and Mike Collins were Huntington boys. A good WV coach lands Darnell Wright. He’s a WV kid.

Sure, its not impossible... but times change. Huntington has changed... Huntington has a very high % of transplants, so they dont have the same level of WV loyalty, that you would see in Charleston, Logan, Beckley, etc... Recruiting has also changed, its much easier for a recruit in a smaller town to get noticed & receive offers, then it was back then. Meaning, if Rivals, and all other recruiting media was available then, we may have not got those guys, because they would have received offers from additional programs..

So its apples to oranges...

Im not a blind supporter of DH... Ive/we've been very patient, but he's out of time. If this year is not a real success (Win 10-11 games and Make to Big12 Championship, + WIN A BOWL GAME), I think he's on borrowed time. If he cant win it this year, with all the talent he has & combined with all the talent that left other teams, he'll be bought out as soon as Lyons can afford to do so, without reducing what we can pay the next coach. I am NOT a believer in firing a coach after 2,3, or 4 years... No matter how good of a coach & recruiter you are, at a non-blue blood school, you need 3-5 years just to set your foundation, depending on the inheritance. Its time to show us what a * yr investment returns.. I will say, you have seen his staff improve, in many areas, over the past 3 years... in a 3 steps up, 1 step back, kind of way. Last yr was a step back, but if they take another 2-3 steps forward this yr, and can still manage a 8-9 win season next yr, we could see some significant improvement with recruiting. We will see...

Do you remember being a teenager? I wanted as far from my hometown as I could get, I wanted to experience freedom, I wanted to be on my own, away from my parents, to experience new places, new cities, new people, etc... Keep that in mind, its not ALL about football or WV loyalty.. These are kids, who have not experienced the world, who have limited life experiences.. many of which have not been outside of their State, with the exception of program visits... Some just want a change of scenery, etc... Maybe they want out of their current environment, for whatever reasons..

Its a mixed bag... not all due to a lack of effort or focus on the current staff..

Last edited:
Not unless HE is interested in coming to WVU. Please, get real! The kid, family, etc. make the decisions, irrespective of how much effort the coaches make to sway them.

If you get a talented kid in WV that already likes WVU it’s a easy recruit. The Stills boys, Donahue, Tonkery, Pitts all dreamed of the blue and gold. They get it. DL Zach Frazier the current Fairmont freak of nature gets it. He will be a Mountaineer. He’s a star.

The kids who come from poverty backgrounds who never had anyone show them the college experience or tradition are the ones you have to get after early. Like 9-10th grade. They grow up with no dad often and only know about the pro game. College tradition and pride isn’t shown to them. They usually don’t know State pride or their home state tradition involving the big college teams. Nobody showed them that stuff. Suburbs, middle, upper class is college sports pride. The hood is mostly pro fans cause they don’t know anything college related.

A good coach at WVU that wins big lands Switzer, Moss, Etheridge, Darnell Wright, Elijah Bell and all those star types a lot more. That’s what we need. A coach that can recruit better overall.

2008 - 9 WV kids recruited only turned out good
2009 - 9 WV kids recruited only 2 got playing time
2010 - 2 WV recruits Zero were good
2011 - 7 recruited 2 played

Stewart failed.

DH has twice as many yet you cry.

If WVU had a team of nothing but WV kids, you all would be bitching about going 2-10 on the year. Name the last WV kid that played a big role in WVU winning many games, hell even led a category in stats? I’ll help you, 1994 Robert Walker

Nobody said get nothing but in state kids. Just get more than what we get since our out of state recruits suck at a 50% ratio.

Getting Williamson and Darnell Wright on the OL would be huge. Getting the Parkersburg stud TE is another. Get Amir Richardson and Kerry Martin and we are in business. There are more.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Nobody said get nothing but in state kids. Just get more than what we get since our out of state recruits suck at a 50% ratio.

Getting Williamson and Darnell Wright on the OL would be huge. Getting the Parkersburg stud TE is another. Get Amir Richardson and Kerry Martin and we are in business. There are more.

You have no idea if these kids were born in the state of West Virginia or even if their parents are from the state. You have no idea where these kids parents went to college and graduated from.

Get a clue and quit sniffing glue.

Reactions: Volatility
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT