ADVERTISEMENT

Something to take your mind off the game

OP went to KMart and challenged the handicapped door to a fight once..... disrespected him, shutting in his face like that

Sorry you feel that way. I respectfully disagree. I think it is great that our society and University are diverse and want to be welcoming.

Diversity only strengthens us and enriches our lives. I see no need to disrespect another person.
How does that promote diversity, quite literally the opposite as it promotes group think.

Reactions: dave
Sorry you feel that way. I respectfully disagree. I think it is great that our society and University are diverse and want to be welcoming.

Diversity only strengthens us and enriches our lives. I see no need to disrespect another person.

Actually, diversity doesn't strengthen us. For us to be the strongest, we would have to have unity (agreement) in ALL aspects. We are all fallible and therefore have our own opinions. Some of us may be enriched by one aspect while other factions are disgusted by the same aspect.

Because I believe things like marriage between man and woman doesn't make me a bigot. However, if I show hatred then there becomes a divide. What is happening in this country IS divide. it is less because of tolerance and more because we have very little backbone in our society. As soon as the OP said "hurt feelings" the PC police come out and people want to run for their safe place.

If you want to fix things it isn't by squelching free speech. All of us agreeing on everything ain't happening either. What about my liberties if my beliefs are in opposition to some one elses?

If you read The Federalist Papers (9 and 10), you will see that saturation by factions was warned about by our Founding Fathers. They warned about many other things on both sides of the aisle also.

What they didn't warn about was free speech and PC. We wouldnt have made it to "The Signing" if they kept their mouths shut. We wouldn't have the Federalist and anti-Federalist papers debating the new form of government.

There is a heck of a lot I believe in for religious reasons. That is my convictions. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I'm not changing my views. You don't have to agree with me, nor I you. I'm sure each of our spouses will tell us when we don't agree (mine doesn't hold back).

However this safe space, dont hurt my feelings is crap. When you can't debate out of fear of being called bigot or whatever, you are screwed! To many people have sacrificed for these freedoms.

I'll ask one more thing, who would you rather have in crunch time, the person standing up and trying to take action or the person pis sing themselves in the corner crying sticks and stones?

this 'stuff' makes America soft... and forty years down the road this country will be 'soft'...

it's a cancer that is just starting...

first they take paddleing out of schools...

and now they give pacifiers to 20-year olds...

S O F T ........ S O F T ........... S O F T

Intolerant? Maybe I don't understand what they are. I thought they were supposed to be a place where there is no bigotry, racism, hate and confrontation?

If I don't believe in LGBTQ, does that make me a racist, bigot, hater or confrontational?

Intolerant? Maybe I don't understand what they are. I thought they were supposed to be a place where there is no bigotry, racism, hate and confrontation?

We all experience some of that.Some just don't ask for special treatment and at same time protest.Want their cake and eat it too.

Then his point was proven. I don't hate them, I just don't believe in it. When I'm called these things for having a belief system that doesn't align with someone else's that is intolerance.

I need to clarify, when my belief system doesn't align and they need a safe place, they aren't tolerant of me. I do things wrong everyday. I let people down. Some of the people don't like my mistakes. They don't hate ME.....just don't agree with my actions. That is life and it is good that we talk through things rather than running from them. That will make us stronger. it was a good exchange Take care!

You can't demonstrate that generic diversity is beneficial. Diversity of opinion is why many couples end up divorced. What kind of diversity is the question.

We need not promote diversity. We need only to promote liberty and value all life. If we take seriously the values found in the Declaration of Independence--that all humans are created equal, and all have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness--then diversity will happen. The cream of each race, sex, religion, and culture will rise to the top.

Are far as safe spaces go, let's just hope Suck It Up Buttercup legislation in other states has an influence here before our state legislature gets involved.

Being intolerant doesn't make a person strong.

How true.

America must be a place where all thoughts are respected, all thoughts are listened to, and all thoughts are tolerated. This does not mean that thoughts should not be debated...quite the contrary... but they must be debated in a respectful manner.

Neither liberals nor conservatives have an exclusive on the solutions to our problems, even though that idea may be surprising to some. Both sides must listen to one another, learn, and understand a broader perspective.

The operative word is "listen". Hearing is not "listening". Listening requires an open mind and a willingness to learn. It also suggests that learning is a life-long exercise.

Our society today doesn't "listen" very well; the tendency seems to be to out-shout another person, demean another person, vilify another person, bully another person. Some confuse this with strength...it is actually a sign of insecurity. It may have worked on the playground when you were a kid, but it isn't effective with adults.

Society would be much further ahead if we could all lay down our swords, and try to better understand each other and build some trust. Can't we listen to each other better and try to heal? You might be surprised to learn that you agree with your perceived adversary on more things than you disagree.

Reactions: countryroads89
How true.

America must be a place where all thoughts are respected, all thoughts are listened to, and all thoughts are tolerated. This does not mean that thoughts should not be debated...quite the contrary... but they must be debated in a respectful manner.

Neither liberals nor conservatives have an exclusive on the solutions to our problems, even though that idea may be surprising to some. Both sides must listen to one another, learn, and understand a broader perspective.

The operative word is "listen". Hearing is not "listening". Listening requires an open mind and a willingness to learn. It also suggests that learning is a life-long exercise.

Our society today doesn't "listen" very well; the tendency seems to be to out-shout another person, demean another person, vilify another person, bully another person. Some confuse this with strength...it is actually a sign of insecurity. It may have worked on the playground when you were a kid, but it isn't effective with adults.

Society would be much further ahead if we could all lay down our swords, and try to better understand each other and build some trust. Can't we listen to each other better and try to heal? You might be surprised to learn that you agree with your perceived adversary on more things than you disagree.
And the idea of safe spaces stands in contrast to exactly what you're suggesting in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT