ADVERTISEMENT

So looks like the Big 12

sammyk

All-Conference
Oct 26, 2001
is looking to expand and is looking at the teams that I said should be targeted. So Lets look at the teams again

1. BYU- looks like this will be the first team added and is a no brainer as an add. Once the scheduling thing gets ironed out the Big 12 will have a stable quasi brand name that adds quality a good fan base , football tradition and the admin backs football/athletics . Great pick up

2. Central Florida - Huge market very good football program, fertile recruiting area , a growing fan base . Has the potential to be a monster program. This is and should be school #2 that makes it into the Big 12.

3. Cincy - has had some solid football and basketball success and might be on the cusp of a special season. The past 15 years Cincy has been quality in both BB and FB. Solid TV market. As of right now top 10 in football

4. Houston- Huge TV area, Best recruiting area in Texas. Solidifies the Big 12 footprint in Texas. School has shown it will spend $$$$$ on sports and has had teams that has beaten Oklahoma in the recent past. Like Central Florida could be a sleeping giant .

5. Memphis- Again good football and basketball , played in a new years day 6 bowl a few years ago so the school has that type of potential. Has backing from Fed Ex so $$$$$ is not a problem. Solid TV market in Memphis plus adds a SEC flavor. Solid pick up

6. South Florida- again fertile recruiting area with the school spending to make huge athletic upgrades. Sold TV market and any team in Florida has a chance to be good in a hurry

After that I like
SMU- Another Texas school but a small one so that hurts them
UNLV- Great TV market has potential but needs to improve on some things
Tulsa - Has had some solid teams but With OK St might not need another OK school
Army and Navy- Own the Army Navy Game. Talk about a $$$$$ maker. Both teams are well followed and when they play they are the only game on TV that week,so you could own one of the most watched games every year
San Diego State- gets you into Cali
Boise St- Feel good story with passionate fans
Tulane- great academics but not a year in and out solid football program

Last edited:
Why would anyone gamble on entering a conference that could die soon?

Should only add 2 IMO. BYU and UCF.
Because I think they stay power 5 the Big 12 that is. And I like BYU and C Fla as adds but I think the conference will go to 12 teams but might explore 14 to create a more secure conference. Looks like CBS will be having some spots to fill in the next few years so do not be shocked if the Big 12 goes at least 12 teams to fill those spots.

I would add Colorado State to your list of potentials. Yeah, I know, not a big name, but potentially could be with P5 backing.

My top 4:

BYU - They're the obvious big fish that's unaccounted for, or at least biggest not named Notre Dame.
Memphis - Still believe this is #2 on the list, due to great basketball coming back, as well as huge potential in football. Then you add the support they get from Fed-X and fans, and I see them as #2.
Cincinnati would be #3. Currently pretty good in both revenue sports, and would only get better with P5 recognition. Plus, it brings the Huggins-Cinci rivalry back. Good TV hoops game there when played in Cinci,
Houston or UCF would be a tie here at the 4th spot. Either one would be a nice addition. UCF has improved in basketball, and Houston is already a basketball power. Again, P5 status would improve both programs football recruiting. Figuring Houston would get the nod though, primarily due to Oliver Luck.

I would add Colorado State to your list of potentials. Yeah, I know, not a big name, but potentially could be with P5 backing.

My top 4:

BYU - They're the obvious big fish that's unaccounted for, or at least biggest not named Notre Dame.
Memphis - Still believe this is #2 on the list, due to great basketball coming back, as well as huge potential in football. Then you add the support they get from Fed-X and fans, and I see them as #2.
Cincinnati would be #3. Currently pretty good in both revenue sports, and would only get better with P5 recognition. Plus, it brings the Huggins-Cinci rivalry back. Good TV hoops game there when played in Cinci,
Houston or UCF would be a tie here at the 4th spot. Either one would be a nice addition. UCF has improved in basketball, and Houston is already a basketball power. Again, P5 status would improve both programs football recruiting. Figuring Houston would get the nod though, primarily due to Oliver Luck.
Colorado State would be a interesting get. I did forget them

Reactions: Rootmaster
Oliver Luck has nothing to do with the University of Houston. Only exception was trying to get an XFL team in Houston that could possibly play at Dynamo Stadium. He was president of Houston Dynamo of professional soccer league. In 2001 Luck was sworn in as Chief Executive Officer of the Houston Sports Authority. In this role he oversaw the operations of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, the governmental entity created in 1997 to provide the financing, construction and management oversight of the three large sports and entertainment venues in Houston: Minute Maid Park home of the Houston Astros, Reliant Stadium, home of the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and the new Downtown multi-purpose arena home of the Houston Rockets and Comets He played for Houston Oilers. If he has no power to exist WVU because of conflict of interest and has no power in adding schools. He is a consultant.

Big 12 should laugh at Houston and kick them in the nuts. Already 3 Texas teams and don't need another. Only add Houston if it goes to 14 or 16.

BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Navy or Memphis

I will throw a name out there that everyone will hate....Temple
Well If you want to include a decent football and basketball program to the fold with a bigger market then Temple could be a choice. More of a pro town and really cant see the Philly faithful coming to an Iowa State vs Temple game but who knows Not sold on the Cherry and White

Well If you want to include a decent football and basketball program to the fold with a bigger market then Temple could be a choice. More of a pro town and really cant see the Philly faithful coming to an Iowa State vs Temple game but who knows Not sold on the Cherry and White

Id like to get a team that's regional to us.

Listening to John Skipper he made it clear that footprint matters because new markets mean distribution fees...most of these programs mentioned do that.

Id prefer going to 12 or 14 teams and splitting it up in a east/west division.

..so wvu in a division with kansas and k-state,ISU, UCF, ECT

Listening to John Skipper he made it clear that footprint matters because new markets mean distribution fees...most of these programs mentioned do that.

That does make sense and WVU really does need some teams East of the Mississippi. I like the 14 team expansion but thats just me

That does make sense and WVU really does need some teams East of the Mississippi. I like the 14 team expansion but thats just me

There's really no good options.. BYU and UCF are the best but they need to make moves that address other needs. 10 teams isnt enough anymore...gotta go to at least 12, I'd do 14.

I guess the issue is too many teams dilute the checks and dont bump value.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I will throw a name out there that everyone will hate....Temple
Barry Tramel of the Oklahoman said that in the last go round, there were 12 applicants that made the cut, including Temple and Tulane, Air Force, Rice, Colorado State, UCONN, Houston, SMU, BYU, Cincy, UCF, and USF. Not making the cut were Boise State, Memphis, ECU, San Diego state and a bunch of other schools not getting much of a mention this time around.

There's really no good options.. BYU and UCF are the best but they need to make moves that address other needs. 10 teams isnt enough anymore...gotta go to at least 12, I'd do 14.

I guess the issue is too many teams dilute the checks and dont bump value.
Well BYU and Central Florida would be a great start but as stated earlier you can add teams that will grow and add value. Memphis , Houston, South Florida, Cincy could do that , it is not that far of a reach to think that they will grow and get better recruits and keep coaches and grow. It was not that long ago that Louisville was a joke program. All it takes is a little bit of time. The schools I mentioned could be schools no one wants to play in 10 years, heck the Cincy coached stayed instead of going after another job and Houston payed big bucks for their coach South Florida made huge improvements to its facilities

1. Cincinnati
2. Memphis
3. UCF
4. USF
5. Houston
6. SMU
7. Temple
8. Tulane
9. Colorado State
10. New Mexico

1. Cincinnati
2. Memphis
3. UCF
4. USF
5. Houston
6. SMU
7. Temple
8. Tulane
9. Colorado State
10. New Mexico
I like a lot of schools on that list and I think the Big 12 gets several of them with BYU

Not a good look for the Big 12 to invite a school with a football program that was kicked out of the Big East.

Per a poster in 2012:

“Temple went winless in league play six times. Overall, they had a 14-80 record against Big East foes winning 3 games once.

Then there was the whole facility and attendance issues. In 1995 they averaged 4,045 home attendance. That's not a typo. Their OOC was hurting the teams like Miami who were perennial national contenders.”

Ironically, the Owls’ fine basketball program was never allowed in/invited to join the Big East.

I went to one WVU (ranked #16) game in old Veterans Stadium, in 1998. Tickets ranged from $5 to free. The crowd was under 15,000, probably more than half were WVU fans.

It will be a long process. Nothing until the issue of TX and OU are resolved, and by then other programs might be moving too when there are fewer deterents.

Will be 12 with BYU, Cincinnati, UCF and Houston. If to 16 with four 4 team pods...which is still in discussion...add Memphis, Colorado State, USF, and Tulane. All but Houston expands the footprint through B1g, ACC, PAC12. and SEC country. Picks up Colorado, Florida, Ohio, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Utah. Will have new TV deal based on impact and solidify P5 status.

Reactions: DoogEER
You guys knock yourself out on figuring out what teams to add. Me, myself and I will not waste time since we are not going to be in the Big XII after 2024. Just my opinion, no insider info!!!

Reactions: Tylerite
1. Cincinnati
2. Memphis
3. UCF
4. USF
5. Houston
6. SMU
7. Temple
8. Tulane
9. Colorado State
10. New Mexico
Wouldn't it just be simpler for WVU to join the AAC, if you're going to grab eight of them? WVU needs to stay idol, and just enjoy playing in the Big XII for a few more years, or until OU and UT depart. At that point, ACC will be their destination. No sense playing in a conference a time zone away when 1/2 the teams are stiffs.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Wouldn't it just be simpler for WVU to join the AAC, if you're going to grab eight of them? WVU needs to stay idol, and just enjoy playing in the Big XII for a few more years, or until OU and UT depart. At that point, ACC will be their destination. No sense playing in a conference a time zone away when 1/2 the teams are stiffs.
Unless ND joins WVU will be in the Big 12

Not a good look for the Big 12 to invite a school with a football program that was kicked out of the Big East.

Per a poster in 2012:

“Temple went winless in league play six times. Overall, they had a 14-80 record against Big East foes winning 3 games once.

Then there was the whole facility and attendance issues. In 1995 they averaged 4,045 home attendance. That's not a typo. Their OOC was hurting the teams like Miami who were perennial national contenders.”

Ironically, the Owls’ fine basketball program was never allowed in/invited to join the Big East.

I went to one WVU (ranked #16) game in old Veterans Stadium, in 1998. Tickets ranged from $5 to free. The crowd was under 15,000, probably more than half were WVU fans.
I was at that game too. We paid $5.00 each in the parking lot for tickets. The place was like a morgue.

Barry Tramel of the Oklahoman said that in the last go round, there were 12 applicants that made the cut, including Temple and Tulane, Air Force, Rice, Colorado State, UCONN, Houston, SMU, BYU, Cincy, UCF, and USF. Not making the cut were Boise State, Memphis, ECU, San Diego state and a bunch of other schools not getting much of a mention this time around.
What was the knock on Memphis?

I once caught a game in NC. A good round of antibiotics cleared it right up.

People been talking about adding Bishop
Sycamore because they have a bigger name than than anyone else

Would be nice but UNC, UVA and their North Carolina underlings have said no for nearly 70 years.

is looking to expand and is looking at the teams that I said should be targeted. So Lets look at the teams again

1. BYU- looks like this will be the first team added and is a no brainer as an add. Once the scheduling thing gets ironed out the Big 12 will have a stable quasi brand name that adds quality a good fan base , football tradition and the admin backs football/athletics . Great pick up

2. Central Florida - Huge market very good football program, fertile recruiting area , a growing fan base . Has the potential to be a monster program. This is and should be school #2 that makes it into the Big 12.

3. Cincy - has had some solid football and basketball success and might be on the cusp of a special season. The past 15 years Cincy has been quality in both BB and FB. Solid TV market. As of right now top 10 in football

4. Houston- Huge TV area, Best recruiting area in Texas. Solidifies the Big 12 footprint in Texas. School has shown it will spend $$$$$ on sports and has had teams that has beaten Oklahoma in the recent past. Like Central Florida could be a sleeping giant .

5. Memphis- Again good football and basketball , played in a new years day 6 bowl a few years ago so the school has that type of potential. Has backing from Fed Ex so $$$$$ is not a problem. Solid TV market in Memphis plus adds a SEC flavor. Solid pick up

6. South Florida- again fertile recruiting area with the school spending to make huge athletic upgrades. Sold TV market and any team in Florida has a chance to be good in a hurry

After that I like
Tulsa - Has had some solid teams but With OK St might not need another OK school
Army and Navy- Own the Army Navy Game. Talk about a $$$$$ maker. Both teams are well followed and when they play they are the only game on TV that week,so you could own one of the most watched games every year

Same cast of characters the last time Big12 went down this road. Big12 is in a tough spot. Do nothing and once 2025 arrives.....bye bye Big12. On the other hand if they add lower level teams they ACCept their place at the back of the bus.

Same cast of characters the last time Big12 went down this road. Big12 is in a tough spot. Do nothing and once 2025 arrives.....bye bye Big12. On the other hand if they add lower level teams they ACCept their place at the back of the bus.
So if the Big 12-4=8 doesn't go after lower level teams then the B1g is safe.

I am resigned to us stuck in Big12 and adding teams. To improve football gravitas, you add BYU & Boise. But that shifts conf even farther west. Get 2 more in the east - Cincy & UCF - but UCF is probably as far as Ames.

If we go 6 additions - and get a heavy dose of Houston, UCF, Memphis, Cincy, Tulane - we just smell like G5.
Also, I hear the argument of UCF gets Big12 3rd most populous state... Houston is 4th largest city...Cincy is Ohio - 7th most populous state...but doesn't the AAC have those teams now - and their payout is $8 mil/yr?

Best we do is probably BYU, UC, USF, Memphis. Maybe Gee extorts a permanent playoff spot for Big12 champ in exchange for 12 team playoff that let's SEC send 4 or 5 teams a year.

-Winter Tim

After that I like

The numbers are correct for the methodology over a five year period. Just read it and then choose your favorites.

Temple is irrelevant in their own state. They aren't even the 4th biggest fan following in their own town. It's Pitt with shittier fans.

Unless ND joins WVU will be in the Big 12
I think it is very unlikely that ND ever joins the ACC unless the playoffs are changed to only include conference champions. I don't think people realize just how strongly the ND administration and fanbase values football independence.

Secondly, even if ND was forced to join the ACC, I think the ACC could simply stay at 15 teams like it was in 2020. I think the ACC leadership and ACC schools were pleasantly surprised how well the 15 team format worked in 2020.

It worked so well in 2020, that if the ACC felt West Virginia could bring value to the conference, I could see the ACC inviting only West Virginia. I don't think the ACC would have any problem with a 15 team football alignment with the addition of West Virginia.

Thus adding West Virginia is not dependent on Notre Dame joining for football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tylerite
The Big12 can easily expand with the likely suspects and be competitive on the field with the PAC12. Probably competitive with the ACC as well. Fifth in the Power5 is infinitely better than not in the Power5. I don't believe that things are finished at the top either. SEC is not done and will have stupid money for decades. They will simply wait for the ripe fruit to drop into their basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT