ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Six placed on all-Big 12 teams

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – (November 30, 2017) – The Big 12 Conference has announced its annual All-Big 12 Conference teams and individual awards, as voted on by the league’s 10 head coaches. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players.

West Virginia redshirt junior quarterback Will Grier was named the league’s offensive newcomer of the year. It marks the third Mountaineer to be named for the award as Justin Crawford earned the honor in 2016 and Charles Sims won in 2014.

Grier, who was named the league’s newcomer of the week five times, completed 250-of-388 passes for 3,490 yards and 34 touchdowns before sustaining a hand injury early in the Texas game on Nov. 18, missing the remainder of that game along with Oklahoma. He is nationally ranked in the top 10 in passing touchdowns (4), passing efficiency (8), total offense (9), passing yards (9) yards per pass attempt (9 and points responsible for (10)). He was ranked No. 12 in completions per game, passing yards per completion (18) and completion percentage (20).

Grier passed for 300 or more yards in nine games and had multiple touchdowns in 10 games during the 2017 season.

David Sills V was a first-team honoree, while Yodny Cajuste (OL), Justin Crawford (RB), Gary Jennings Jr. (WR), Marcus Simms (KR/PR) and Kyzir White (DB) were named to the second team.

Sills V, a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, leads the nation with 18 touchdown catches. He also has 60 catches for 980 yards. Jennings Jr. led WVU with 94 catches for 1,030 yards and a touchdown. He is first in the league in receptions and No. 5 in receiving yards.

Crawford is the third-leading rusher in the Big 12 with 1,060 yards and seven touchdowns, his second straight 1,000-yard rushing performance. Simms led the Big 12 in kickoff return yards, averaging 25.6 yards per return and averaged 6.6 yards per punt return.

Cajuste, who started all 12 games at tackle after missing the 2016 season due to injury, helped pave the way for the offense to rank No. 6 nationally in first down offense, No. 12 in passing offense, No. 15 in total offense and No. 21 in scoring offense.

White was WVU’s second-leading tackler on defense with 81 tackles, including 59 solo stops, had a team-tying three interceptions, a team-leading two forced fumbles, four pass breakups and six tackles for loss.

Earning honorable mention for the Mountaineers were Dravon Askew-Henry (DB), Al-Rasheed Benton (LB), Reese Donahue (DL), Will Grier (QB), David Long Jr (LB), Colton McKivitz (OL), Kenny Robinson (DB), Elijah Wellman (FB) and Ka’Raun White (WR).

West Virginia finished the regular season with a 7-5 overall record and 5-4 in the conference, tying for fourth place. The Mountaineers have qualified for its 36th bowl in school history, including 16th of the past 18 years and will find out its bowl destination on Sunday.

Is this list a joke?

Tell me how David Long Jr is not on the 1st or 2nd Team. Really??? That guy played his ass off and was a MANSTER out there.

I haven't seen a snub that bad for WVU since our final season in the Big East (Geno Smith and Kevin Jones).

Congrats to the other guys who got noticed.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – (November 30, 2017) – The Big 12 Conference has announced its annual All-Big 12 Conference teams and individual awards, as voted on by the league’s 10 head coaches. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players.

West Virginia redshirt junior quarterback Will Grier was named the league’s offensive newcomer of the year. It marks the third Mountaineer to be named for the award as Justin Crawford earned the honor in 2016 and Charles Sims won in 2014.

Grier, who was named the league’s newcomer of the week five times, completed 250-of-388 passes for 3,490 yards and 34 touchdowns before sustaining a hand injury early in the Texas game on Nov. 18, missing the remainder of that game along with Oklahoma. He is nationally ranked in the top 10 in passing touchdowns (4), passing efficiency (8), total offense (9), passing yards (9) yards per pass attempt (9 and points responsible for (10)). He was ranked No. 12 in completions per game, passing yards per completion (18) and completion percentage (20).

Grier passed for 300 or more yards in nine games and had multiple touchdowns in 10 games during the 2017 season.

David Sills V was a first-team honoree, while Yodny Cajuste (OL), Justin Crawford (RB), Gary Jennings Jr. (WR), Marcus Simms (KR/PR) and Kyzir White (DB) were named to the second team.

Sills V, a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, leads the nation with 18 touchdown catches. He also has 60 catches for 980 yards. Jennings Jr. led WVU with 94 catches for 1,030 yards and a touchdown. He is first in the league in receptions and No. 5 in receiving yards.

Crawford is the third-leading rusher in the Big 12 with 1,060 yards and seven touchdowns, his second straight 1,000-yard rushing performance. Simms led the Big 12 in kickoff return yards, averaging 25.6 yards per return and averaged 6.6 yards per punt return.

Cajuste, who started all 12 games at tackle after missing the 2016 season due to injury, helped pave the way for the offense to rank No. 6 nationally in first down offense, No. 12 in passing offense, No. 15 in total offense and No. 21 in scoring offense.

White was WVU’s second-leading tackler on defense with 81 tackles, including 59 solo stops, had a team-tying three interceptions, a team-leading two forced fumbles, four pass breakups and six tackles for loss.

Earning honorable mention for the Mountaineers were Dravon Askew-Henry (DB), Al-Rasheed Benton (LB), Reese Donahue (DL), Will Grier (QB), David Long Jr (LB), Colton McKivitz (OL), Kenny Robinson (DB), Elijah Wellman (FB) and Ka’Raun White (WR).

West Virginia finished the regular season with a 7-5 overall record and 5-4 in the conference, tying for fourth place. The Mountaineers have qualified for its 36th bowl in school history, including 16th of the past 18 years and will find out its bowl destination on Sunday.

Ole Warez is proud of these Mountaineers. My daddy always told me he was proud of me whether I was running, passing or giving the ball off. I feel the same way about WV players. Warez

Is this list a joke?

Tell me how David Long Jr is not on the 1st or 2nd Team. Really??? That guy played his ass off and was a MANSTER out there.

I haven't seen a snub that bad for WVU since our final season in the Big East (Geno Smith and Kevin Jones).

Congrats to the other guys who got noticed.
He missed the first four, or I have a feeling he would be on the 1st or 2nd team. Next year, barring injury, he should win the Butkus Award.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT