ADVERTISEMENT

Should the Mountaineers continue to go in the same direction?

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
WVU, under DH, tried to run the air raid...same as several other Big 12-2=10 schools. However, recruiting, and coaching, didn't always match up and as a result...mediocrity. Should the Mountaineers go different...say west coast, or power run, option, or run spread and be something other teams only see once a year. Just curious.

I'd like to see them run an offense like Iowa or Wisconsin. Great RBs, big, physical OLine but hopefully better QB play.

I'd like to start putting defense as the #1 priority which is something the last 3 coaches haven't done.

Reactions: spartansstink
I'd like to see them run an offense like Iowa or Wisconsin. Great RBs, big, physical OLine but hopefully better QB play.

I'd like to start putting defense as the #1 priority which is something the last 3 coaches haven't done.
Even the NFL is going to spread offenses. I think going back to a smash-mouth B10 offense circa 1975 is not going to go well.

WVU, under DH, tried to run the air raid...same as several other Big 12-2=10 schools. However, recruiting, and coaching, didn't always match up and as a result...mediocrity. Should the Mountaineers go different...say west coast, or power run, option, or run spread and be something other teams only see once a year. Just curious.

"Mediocrity" is not an accurate word for a coach who just got WVU to the brink of playing for the Big 12 title.

Now watch Rootmaster go into his ageism/insult routine.

His offense sounds like Texas’ version of the spread. More power running which actually fits what we have coming back.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Neal Brown?

No.
Brown doesn't rely on checks nor does he use RB/HBacks or TEnds as checkdowns.

Brown is more like Sonny Dykes.
Sonny Cumbie is another
David Beaty who is now an analyst for UT.

Beck and Herman use checks.
Especially with Ehlinger. Ehlinger calls it playing chess at the LOS.

But...
Texas is going to be a lot more like WV next year because of the elite speed they are bringing.
They didn't have any plays over 50 yards this year.
Next year they may have 10+

Cajuneer is right.

You need spread with power running concepts.

Urban Meyer to me is the best
Current coaches are Dan Mullen and Tom Herman.

Holgs' version of the Air Raid barely qualifies as an actual Air Raid offense. WSU and Leach run a true version. That offense in the current Big 12 would murder.

Phil Longo who was at Sam Houston St then Ole Miss and now UNC is the coach who probably represents the AirRaid offense the best.

He has 30 plays but his offense runs these plays to perfection.
It is an offense that a Freshman team can run in high school.

But both Leach and Longo would have the same issues that KK, Lincoln Riley and Dana faced.

Mike Leach, though, is probably the least hardheaded football coach you will meet.

Leach will use any system that works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT