ADVERTISEMENT

Should have kept Dana

GetYaNumbersUp

All-Conference
Mar 15, 2013
Annapolis
If this is going to be the norm for NB. Maybe Holgs was leaving anyways, but his product on the field was much better than what we‘re seeing now and his teams played like they gave a shit.

We took some legendary ass kickings our first year or 2 in the Big 12, but his teams were fun to watch and had studs on both sides of the ball. Even if we crapped out in games from time to time you could never say our teams from 2011-2018 weren’t entertaining.

The program and product on the field is stale and boring, and we are as undisciplined as ever. As much as NB talks about “family” we have guys leaving the team left and right.

Hate to say it but NB appears to be a dud.

Reactions: Darth_VadEER
The Kneel homers on here will somehow blame Dana for all the players entering the portal instead of blaming the glorified G5 coach at WVU.

The Kneel homers on here will somehow blame Dana for all the players entering the portal instead of blaming the glorified G5 coach at WVU.
Dana was not the answer either. He was starting his decline when he left. Maybe, perhaps, we are seeing the end of what would have been his decline and the next few years will improve? Trust me, I'm not defending Brown at all. I think he needs to completely restaff his offensive side of the ball. Dana was 51-38 when WVU. joined the Big 12, and 33-30 in conference. That's not exactly burning it up either.

I don't say much to bash the coaches but, something is not right. With Wright leaving now there are major issues with the coaching staff.....the players are not buying and want out.

Absolutely should have retained coach Holgorsen as opposed to extending Brown for no explainable reason. Holgorsen had WVU on an upward trend as opposed to the current smoke and mirrors. Won the second most games for WVU in WVU history.

Was averaging 8 wins per season the final FIVE seasons, had one of the few WVU 10 win seasons in there, had many talented players moving onto the NFL and also had WVU mere pts from playing for the BIG IIX CCG as well as a top 10 offense in the final season.

Now he is winning 12 games and beating the likes of Auburn in bowl games while WVU looks like a bad h.s. program.

Last edited:
I don't say much to bash the coaches but, something is not right. With Wright leaving now there are major issues with the coaching staff.....the players are not buying and want out.
Players with high potential are being purchased off of other teams. It's just business and is happening to everyone.. I don't care about the coaches yet, but if someone wants to come up with $20 million for a buyout do it. Then we can do like Texas and start over every 3 years.

WVU had a very good coach and people pushed him away. Now that the savior has failed to do anything three straight years after "anyone can step in and immediately do better" nonsense, its "the coach doesn't matter".

If people want better and WVU fans probably do, then they have to let it be known. WVU isn't earning Big East money anymore, they are making as much or more than most programs in the P5--those programs don't generally extend losing coaches, but they do come up with the necessary funds to correct bad fits. WVU's admin has to figure it out.

Funny how a 7 win avg (due to 1 losing season, 1 season with under 7 wins out of all of them) was TERRIBLE but now some want to sell that 5 and 6 win losing seasons are all good. Good for who exactly? Not WVU or its fanbase that's for sure.

How can we forget that Dana was not fired? He left for a G5 program when the cupboard was going bare. He knew what he was doing. A billionaire enticed him away. Let's just say it, a wealthy donor bought him.

Had WVU attempted to retain Holgorsen he likely would have remained. TWICE they hurt his recruiting /coaching efforts by not extending him. Yet Brown loses and was extended inexplicably with years remaining on his contract. Holgorsen noticed the complete lack of appreciation and scorn WVU had towards him if it wasn't the lies about his character it was dismissing every success with vilification and hate, and chasing off his attempts to bring in recruits.--there was no reason to remain and let's not pretend WVU didn't push him towards the door in various ways at every chance.

With Dana the fanbase could at least imagine going 10-2. Sure, they’d occasionally get blown off the field. But there always seemed like a chance before kickoff. Now, what do we forward to on gameday? 240 yards of offense and 21 points if they’re lucky. Optimism and enthusiasm for this program has been completely shot.

Players with high potential are being purchased off of other teams. It's just business and is happening to everyone.. I don't care about the coaches yet, but if someone wants to come up with $20 million for a buyout do it. Then we can do like Texas and start over every 3 years.
Starting over would be a breath of fresh air.

I think Brown has been told to make some changes and I suspect that is part of Doege leaving. With Greene and Crowder in the bullpen and Nico coming in, Brown will have to switch gears. Look for a lot of staff changes next. Brown is between a rock and a hard place...he wasted a year on Doege and has lost a bunch of players, but is about to enter his make or break year. If he falls on his face next season he just might be gone, buyout or not.

I think Brown has been told to make some changes and I suspect that is part of Doege leaving. With Greene and Crowder in the bullpen and Nico coming in, Brown will have to switch gears. Look for a lot of staff changes next. Brown is between a rock and a hard place...he wasted a year on Doege and has lost a bunch of players, but is about to enter his make or break year. If he falls on his face next season he just might be gone, buyout or not.
Or did Wright leave because Doege left? Maybe they were close? Maybe Wright was told that WVU is going a different route offensively resulting in less touches?

Make or break year for HCNB after having about 30 players enter the portal under his watch. That makes for a break year because this team is broekn. Wonder what this board will be like after we lose by about 3 TDs to Spitt and don't have a QB who can complete a pass.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Had WVU attempted to retain Holgorsen he likely would have remained. TWICE they hurt his recruiting /coaching efforts by not extending him. Yet Brown loses and was extended inexplicably with years remaining on his contract. Holgorsen noticed the complete lack of appreciation and scorn WVU had towards him if it wasn't the lies about his character it was dismissing every success with vilification and hate, and chasing off his attempts to bring in recruits.--there was no reason to remain and let's not pretend WVU didn't push him towards the door in various ways at every chance.
You've got your viewpoint which you articulate quite well, I also have mine. I am neither pro or anti Dana Holgorsen or any other coach who has been at WVU. He had his successes and failures like everyone else, still does.

When UH was in need of a new football coach and donor Tilman Fertitta decided Dana Holgorsen was the answer the rest simply became contract details. I wish Dana hadn't badmouthed WVU when he took the Houston job, but I am no one to judge anyone's reactions to life changing events. Typical Dana:

"Houston football capped a 12-win season with a 17-13 win over Auburn in the Birmingham Bowl on Tuesday. The Cougars continued the streak of ranked opponents beating a ranked opponent in the game by handling the Tigers, but head coach Dana Holgorsen was not in a good mood at the postgame press conference.

He and his team was forced to wait. Auburn head coach Brian Harsin and his players were invited to speak first, while Holgorsen and his two player representatives stood out in the hallway."

Apparently he told the Tigers to hurry up. You could hear him from the hallway at Harsin's press conference. The rest is on Twitter! Typical Holgorsen, and I don't really blame him but he was never accused of not having balls.

In all fairness this much is indisputable:

• Holgorsen closed his tenure at West Virginia as the second-winningest coach in Mountaineer history with an eight-year record of 61-41. His 61 wins trailed only College Football Hall of Famer Don Nehlen for most wins in West Virginia history.

• He led the Mountaineers to bowl games in seven of his eight seasons including each of the last five seasons. His first season at West Virginia ended with a 70-33 rout of Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

• Throughout his career, Holgorsen has had 21 players earn All-America honors, win 10 national awards and 14 national award finalist honors.

• He has displayed his ability to prepare players for the next level as West Virginia had 10 NFL draft picks in first three rounds in the past seven years, second most in Big 12 with at least one Top-15 draft pick in four of the past seven years. In all, he had four NFL Top-15 draft picks during the past seven years, the most in the Big 12, and 20 players drafted in seven years at WVU, tied for second-most in the Big 12 during that span.

• An offensive genius, his passing offenses and total offensive output have ranked in the Top 10 nationally all but four years during the 14-year span since he became offensive coordinator at Texas Tech in 2005.

• He's had eight quarterbacks pass for 4,000 or more yards and 10 throw for 30 or more touchdowns in a season with 20 receivers finishing with 1,000 or more yards in a season, including 11 finish with 90 or more receptions and 16 finish with double figure TD receptions in a season.

• He is the only coach in West Virginia history to have coached a team with at least 450 rushing yards in a game (Oklahoma, 2012) and at least 450 yards passing in a game (six times).

• He had 10 wins over Top 25 opponents in his eight-year tenure at WVU.

• West Virginia has been ranked in both major polls at least one week in seven of his eight years including the entire 2018 season with several weeks inside the top 10.

• In 2018, Holgorsen led a West Virginia team that was ranked every week during the season and finished the regular season with a No. 15/16 ranking in both major polls.

• Under his leadership, quarterback Will Grier finished No. 4 in the Heisman Trophy race and was a finalist for the Maxwell Award, The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, the Senior CLASS Award and the Manning Award. Grier was ranked in the top 10 nationally in 11 offensive categories and seven categories in the top five.

• In addition to Grier, three players earned All-America honors in David Long Jr., David Sills V and Yodny Cajuste while Dante Stills was named a Freshman All-American.

• Long was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and was a semifinalist for the Butkus Award while Cajuste was named Big 12 Co-Offensive Lineman of the Year.

• West Virginia had a school-record eight players named to the All-Big 12 teams, including five on the first team with 16 players named to the Academic All-Big 12 first and second teams.

• The 2018 offense ranked No. 3 in passing offense, No. 4 in passing efficiency, No. 8 in total offense and fourth-down conversion, No. 9 in scoring offense, No. 12 in completion percentage and passing yards per completion and No. 25 in third-down conversion. The defense ranked No. 11 in tackles for loss, No. 28 in turnover margin, No. 28 in passes intercepted and No. 36 in third-down conversion defense.

• Outside of football, Holgorsen served as the chair of the WVU Medicine Children’s capital campaign, raising $60 million to build a new home for pediatric and maternal services.

• In 2017, he led the Mountaineers to a 7-6 record and 5-4 in the Big 12 Conference. WVU participated in its fourth-straight bowl game and sixth in the seven years under Holgorsen’s direction as it took on Utah in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

• In 2016, the AFCA District 4 Regional Coach of the Year and Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year finalist led the Mountaineers to a 10-3 overall mark and 7-2 record in the Big 12.

• His 2016 team achieved the ninth 10-win season in school history, becoming one of six WVU teams to do it in the regular season. Holgorsen is one of three WVU coaches, along with Nehlen and Rich Rodriguez, to post multiple 10-win seasons. The seven Big 12 wins were the most in a season, tying for second place in the standings, WVU’s highest finish. In the national rankings, WVU’s offense was ranked No. 17 in total offense, No. 20 in first down offense, No. 25 in rushing offense, No. 31 in pass efficiency, No. 37 in passing yards per completion and No. 42 in pass offense.

Defensively, WVU was No. 24 in turnovers gained and fumbles recovered, No. 35 in passes intercepted and scoring defense and No. 38 in turnover margin. WVU placed 10 players on the Big 12 All-Academic teams and 16 of his 21 seniors had their degrees when they played in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

• In 2015, Holgorsen guided the Mountaineers to eight wins, the most since becoming a member of the Big 12 Conference, and finished the season with an exciting, 43-42 Cactus Bowl victory over Arizona State. The Cactus Bowl appearance saw the Mountaineers tie or break 19 individual or team, school and Cactus Bowl records and produced 11 NCAA top 10 bowl rankings.

Nine players earned All-Big 12 Conference honors, including two being named to All-America teams. There were seven All-Big 12 Academic team selections and 17 players already had their degrees in hand when they played in the bowl game, ranking among the top 10 nationally in number of graduates playing in a bowl game.

• Holgorsen led the Mountaineers to a Liberty Bowl berth in 2014, his third bowl in four seasons at WVU. West Virginia posted a 7-6 overall record and 5-4 in its third year in the Big 12 Conference and finished in a tie for fourth place in Big 12 action.

• In 2013, Holgorsen coached the Mountaineers to victory over No. 11 Oklahoma State, marking his fifth win over a Top 25 team at WVU. He also had six players earn All-Big 12 Conference honors, including the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

• In 2012, Holgorsen led WVU into its first year of competition in the Big 12 Conference, guiding West Virginia to a 7-6 overall record and an appearance in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl. Five Mountaineers earned 25 All-America honors and three were drafted in the top three rounds of the NFL draft. Holgorsen is the only WVU coach to have had a first-round NFL draft choice for two consecutive years (2011 and 2012).

• Holgorsen had a successful first season at WVU in 2011, coaching the Mountaineers to a 10-3 record, the Big East championship and a 70-33 Orange Bowl rout of Clemson. The victory was WVU’s third Bowl Championship Series championship in school history and earned Holgorsen the First-Year Coach of the Year award by the Football Writers Association of America.

In his 3 seasons at Houston, he has finished 4-8, 3-5, 12-2. When he was hired at UH, he said things that Tilman Fertitta wanted to hear. Smart move for him, but f**k WVU. He is who he is.

Fire Shame Lyings...

His deals are so bad it makes you wonder if he's getting a cut on the back end.

Why in the world would he extend a 2nd year coach with losing records?

Reactions: Rootmaster
If this is going to be the norm for NB. Maybe Holgs was leaving anyways, but his product on the field was much better than what we‘re seeing now and his teams played like they gave a shit.

We took some legendary ass kickings our first year or 2 in the Big 12, but his teams were fun to watch and had studs on both sides of the ball. Even if we crapped out in games from time to time you could never say our teams from 2011-2018 weren’t entertaining.

The program and product on the field is stale and boring, and we are as undisciplined as ever. As much as NB talks about “family” we have guys leaving the team left and right.

Haven't seen ya here in a long time...hope you're doing well and life is good.

Dana was not the answer either. He was starting his decline when he left. Maybe, perhaps, we are seeing the end of what would have been his decline and the next few years will improve? Trust me, I'm not defending Brown at all. I think he needs to completely restaff his offensive side of the ball. Dana was 51-38 when WVU. joined the Big 12, and 33-30 in conference. That's not exactly burning it up either.

Dana left 3 years ago.

Dana just won 12 games and had a nice bowl win over Auburn.

Dana is a good coach. Kneel is a bad coach. Dana wins. Kneel loses.

Glad Dana's gone and wouldn't want him back. Zero chance Dana wins nearly as many games playing a more difficult schedule in the Big 12.

Dana was a glorified OC who never wanted to be a true HC. Brown so far sucks at everything. WVU deserves better than both. Brown is on the damn clock.

Reactions: Rootmaster

This f’ckn guy has a name getyanumbnuts up and has 8500 posts with 300 likes 😂😂😂😂😂

I don't give a rat's ass about Dana, or any other WVU coach besides Coach Nehlen. I met him, he is a class act. The record is the record, good and bad. Dana and I simply got drunk in different places at the same time.

Coach B is a decent family man who may or may not succeed at D1 coaching. Results are mixed at this point, if I were AD Lyons I would need 2 more years to decide. But no more extensions until then.

I don't give a rat's ass about Dana, or any other WVU coach besides Coach Nehlen. I met him, he is a class act. The record is the record, good and bad. Dana and I simply got drunk in different places at the same time.

Coach B is a decent family man who may or may not succeed at D1 coaching. Results are mixed at this point, if I were AD Lyons I would need 2 more years to decide. But no more extensions until then.
Why two more years? What about one? Or what about four years...or two weeks? Extention? That is a joke right?

Got $20 million laying around? Let's do it now. Let's just give the next HC 2 years or his ass is gone.
Worse decision is no decision...btw Kneel Clown has been the head sjw for three years...not two. Kind of funny some folks continue to want mediocre to become even more entrenched at wvu. Just sayin '

Worse decision is no decision...btw Kneel Clown has been the head sjw for three years...not two. Kind of funny some folks continue to want mediocre to become even more entrenched at wvu. Just sayin '

Then find some fans of similar thought and pay his ass off. Complaining about a circumstance without offering at least one viable solution is folly. What would YOU do if money were no object?

I would pay the players a competitive salary like other schools and call it NIL compensation just as they do. Then I would add a little more and go recruiting some talented second stringers from top 10 teams. It's just a business now, nothing more.

Then find some fans of similar thought and pay his ass off. Complaining about a circumstance without offering at least one viable solution is folly. What would YOU do if money were no object?

I would pay the players a competitive salary like other schools and call it NIL compensation just as they do. Then I would add a little more and go recruiting some talented second stringers from top 10 teams. It's just a business now, nothing more.
WVU's pockets would never compete lol.

Dana 's teams floundered in November. Dana was creative...in finding ways to lose. Dana hated WV. Screw that wacko...no sucking up needed.

This f’ckn guy has a name getyanumbnuts up and has 8500 posts with 300 likes 😂😂😂😂😂
I don't know why this Dana stuff keeps coming. Dana isn't here for one simple reason. He didn't get the job done. He was given every opportunity to do so by Luck and Then Lyons. Brown hasn't succeeded either but until the final chapter is written the answer is still unknown. If the goal is to compete for championships every 2-3 years then anything short of that is failure. If you only win 5-6 games you're failing just like if you are only winning 7-8. If Brown fails The last guy we would want to replace him with is a guy that has already failed. Its just like if we end up with a freshman qb next season and he struggles are we going to say we should have kept Doege? Its the same logic isn't it?

I don't know why this Dana stuff keeps coming. Dana isn't here for one simple reason. He didn't get the job done. He was given every opportunity to do so by Luck and Then Lyons. Brown hasn't succeeded either but until the final chapter is written the answer is still unknown. If the goal is to compete for championships every 2-3 years then anything short of that is failure. If you only win 5-6 games you're failing just like if you are only winning 7-8. If Brown fails The last guy we would want to replace him with is a guy that has already failed. Its just like if we end up with a freshman qb next season and he struggles are we going to say we should have kept Doege? Its the same logic isn't it?
We've had our greatest success when a QB took the starting job, not chosen as the lesser of evils.

Dana left 3 years ago.

Dana just won 12 games and had a nice bowl win over Auburn.

Dana is a good coach. Kneel is a bad coach. Dana wins. Kneel loses.

Dana lost to 6-6 TTU and beat a 6-6 Auburn team by 4. Only other win against a team not in the bottom half of all FBS was a so-so SMU team. So those 12 wins are worth about as much as Marshall's from a few years ago.

Neal Brown is looking less like the answer to WVU's coaching problem than Holgorsen, but that doesn't make the latter the answer.

Dana left and was not driven out. He wanted Houston as a place to live more than Morgantown and thus WVU would've needed to do far better than 4mil/year guaranteed for 5 years. Dana is not, and never was, worth that kind of money or commitment.

It's like a job. You could be in a shitty job where you are abused, but it's always there. You leave to start your own business or work at a small start-up. The latter job could go under, but that doesn't mean that the right answer was to stay mired in the abusive job.

The right answer is to try for something better knowing that you might fail and will likely have try more than once to get that improvement.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Dana lost to 6-6 TTU and beat a 6-6 Auburn team by 4. Only other win against a team not in the bottom half of all FBS was a so-so SMU team. So those 12 wins are worth about as much as Marshall's from a few years ago.

Neal Brown is looking less like the answer to WVU's coaching problem than Holgorsen, but that doesn't make the latter the answer.
I watched the Houston vs TTech game as well as some of the other games of the Big 12 newcomers. The thing that stuck out about the Tech, Houston game was how much stronger Tech was especially on the line of scrimmage. Houston probably would have been somewhere between 4 and 7 wins in the big 12 this season. There going to have to seriously upgrade that roster to have any chance of winning 12 games in the Big 12.

Yeah because every team in college football easily wins 12 games and beats an SEC team that nearly took down Bama in a bowl game.....oh wait.

Holgorsen took on a major rebuild and in three years won 12 games and a bowl--and WVU once again had a LOSING season after 3 years of this debacle and you are still pretending.....just SAD.

WVU football is in CRISIS.

Reactions: Celtsfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT