ADVERTISEMENT

Sagaba

Not if Nate Adrian is correct that Konate is only 6'6" tall. He's too short to play center in the NBA, and this is his best position. He'll probably make some cash overseas.

Not if Nate Adrian is correct that Konate is only 6'6" tall. He's too short to play center in the NBA, and this is his best position. He'll probably make some cash overseas.

Barkley was the same type of player.........power post.......and how tall was he?

He doesn't play like he's 6-6 nor does he look like that when compared to other big men on the floor. Everyone lies about heights in college bb. He does look like a legit 6-8. The Barkley comment also comes into play.

I don't get to watch many WVU games but I did see last nights game against OU. Konate blocks some shots but in addtion you can tell that anytime OU players shoot from in close they're skittish about getting their shot blocked. Konate is having an effect even when he doesn't actually block the shot.

It would be interesting to compute a teams shooting percentage of non-blocked close in shots against WVU versus the same shooting percentage against other opponents. I bet it's lower against WVU.

Reactions: fide nemini
Like our own coach said, most small forwards in the NBA are as tall/ arms longer and more athletic than Konate. I think he could be one of the best college players we have seen in a long time by his senior year if he keeps working as hard as he has but it will be tough to find him a position in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: tOSUGrad90
I hate to be negative but one thing I've noticed about Konate that I don't like is he celebrates his blocks even if the ball didn't go out of bounds and the game is still going on. When the ball is in play then play. And when the ball is out of play, then celebrate if you like.

Konate celebrates after every basket that he makes, too. He makes Macon look humble in comparison.

Probably the best rim protector I can remember at the U. Plays much larger than his size. I love his intensity.

However, I don't see his low post game transitioning to the NBA where he'd be on the blocks against 7 footers.

Konate celebrates after every basket that he makes, too. He makes Macon look humble in comparison.

If you're celebrating while moving along with the game that's one thing but Konate will get a block and stand there and celebrate in one place and meanwhile the ball is in play and the game is going on.

I watch a lot of NBA, and I just don't think Konate will be that guy. As others said, I think he's a tweener. He's not tall enough to be in the post, and not skilled enough with the ball to be on the wing.

I think Carter is our best chance. There is a spot in the NBA for defensive guys, but it would have to be the right team/right style/right personnel. Carter reminds me of Patrick Beverly.

Barkley didn't play center in the NBA, and Konate doesn't have Sir Charles' foot quickness. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Are you serious? Sags has an 18 foot jumper. So playing center isn't the issue, because he wouldn't and nobody suggested he or Barkley played that position. As for "foot quickness", were you even alive during Barkley's days? With a comment like that, I'm going to say either A) you weren't or B) you never actually watched Charles.

Sags is strong and has developed a mid-range game that over the next 2 years will equate into an NBA opportunity.

Reactions: Phil
If he keeps improving the was he has from his Frosh year to this year...the sky is the limit.

Are you serious? Sags has an 18 foot jumper. So playing center isn't the issue, because he wouldn't and nobody suggested he or Barkley played that position. As for "foot quickness", were you even alive during Barkley's days? With a comment like that, I'm going to say either A) you weren't or B) you never actually watched Charles.

Sags is strong and has developed a mid-range game that over the next 2 years will equate into an NBA opportunity.
Barkley was lightning quick for a man his size, but he didn't play center, either, which you should know, if you had actually seen him blow by defenders. Konate is a 6' 6" center, who has developed one shot outside of five feet, the jumper from the foul line. Tap the brakes on the Konate/Barkley comparisons, so as to avoid the embarrassment that you will feel three years from now.

Reactions: Pizzaboy1
Sags is not 6'6". Second, Sags is very quick. When you watch him block shots- he doesn't even jump until after the opponent is shooting the ball. Third, watch how quick his feet are when he cuts to the basket.
Fourth, his game improved a ton since last year. He's only a sophmore. Based on his track record, he'll continue to get even better.

Barkley was lightning quick for a man his size, but he didn't play center, either, which you should know, if you had actually seen him blow by defenders. Konate is a 6' 6" center, who has developed one shot outside of five feet, the jumper from the foul line. Tap the brakes on the Konate/Barkley comparisons, so as to avoid the embarrassment that you will feel three years from now.

Sags is not 6'6". Second, Sags is very quick. When you watch him block shots- he doesn't even jump until after the opponent is shooting the ball. Third, watch how quick his feet are when he cuts to the basket.
Fourth, his game improved a ton since last year. He's only a sophmore. Based on his track record, he'll continue to get even better.
I amazing thing about Sags is that he programs himself as the ball-handler is driving toward the basket, then times his leap and swat/or grab so that he body is away from the shooter as much as possible but within grabbing distance (with 2 hands yet; who else can do that?) as much as possible. After a couple of those in each game, the opponents get very skittish about swooping in for a shot. Do you realize how difficult it is to block 5 shots in a game without fouling out?

Last edited:
Nate Adrian said very clearly that Konate is 6'6," so forgive me for taking the word of a former teammate over that of an anonymous message board poster, Chazz. Charles Barkley is a Hall of Famer and one of the Top 50 NBA players of all time. Barkley improved throughout his college career, too, and was the SEC Player of the Year in his Junior and last college season. If you compare their Sophomore stats, Barkley's numbers are better in PPG, APG, RPG, and FG%. Konate has more blocks, but if you expect him to be a big shot blocker in the NBA at 6'6", then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Big ol arms
Are people seriously comparing Konate to Barkley? Other than maybe height there is so many differences between the 2 its not even funny. Also todays NBA is a lot different than when Barkley played.

I don't think anyone is questioning how good Sags has been, or will be, at the collegiate level. The NBA is just a different game. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's 6-8. He's not playing center in the NBA at 6-8. He's not playing the 3 either (not a good enough shooter or ball handler). So let's say he'd be a 4. He would be a small 4 in the NBA. He'd be going up against guys like Anthony Davis, Kevin Love, Giannis, Nikola Jokic, Blake Griffin, Kristaps Porzingas, etc. That's a lot to ask.

For reference, does everyone remember Jarret Allen from Texas? I thought he was a beast, and he handled us last year. Now he plays for Brooklyn. Watched them play Philly last week and he was matched up against Joel Embiid. Embiid had a monster game and just manhandled him. Allen had a good stat line also, but some of those minutes were with Embiid out. When they were in there together, Embiid did whatever the hell he wanted. In the post, on the 3 point line....didn't matter. He is 7-2. It's just a different game.

Yeah, you just proved you have ZERO true knowledge on this subject. My reasoning is:

Charles Barkley (Auburn) Position: CENTER

Sags plays CENTER in college, just like Chuck, and can transition to a forward position just as easily as Chuck did......

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/charles-barkley-1.html

Yeah, you just proved you have ZERO true knowledge on this subject. My reasoning is:

Charles Barkley (Auburn) Position: CENTER

Sags plays CENTER in college, just like Chuck, and can transition to a forward position just as easily as Chuck did......

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/charles-barkley-1.html

Many power forwards back then in the NBA were the size of todays small forwards and Barkley was a one of a kind. If he is going to be a power forward in the NBA, he will get abused by p forwards who are just as strong and a lot longer with even more athleticism than what Konate brings.

I was referring to Barkley not playing center in the NBA, MountaineerWVHomer. If you saw Barkley play in college, then you're even older than I am! Barkley blew by people in the half court, and even on the break when he was a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. You won't see Konate do that, unless he's doing it in Greece.

For reference, does everyone remember Jarret Allen from Texas? I thought he was a beast, and he handled us last year. Now he plays for Brooklyn. Watched them play Philly last week and he was matched up against Joel Embiid. Embiid had a monster game and just manhandled him. Allen had a good stat line also, but some of those minutes were with Embiid out. When they were in there together, Embiid did whatever the hell he wanted. In the post, on the 3 point line....didn't matter. He is 7-2. It's just a different game.
Agreed. I watched my lousy Lakers attempt to guard Embiid with 6'9" Julius Randle at Staples, and Embiid had the game of his life.

The Lakers still had Andrew Bogut, a serviceable defensive center, then, but Luke preferred to watch Embiid destroy Randle down the stretch, and it cost his team a possible win.

I was referring to Barkley not playing center in the NBA, MountaineerWVHomer. If you saw Barkley play in college, then you're even older than I am! Barkley blew by people in the half court, and even on the break when he was a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. You won't see Konate do that, unless he's doing it in Greece.

Why are you on here? Go back to your own board, scumbag.

He seems very emotional at times. NBA talent and trash talk would expose any mental weakness. There’s been games where he’s looked like he was ready to explode on someone.

He seems very emotional at times. NBA talent and trash talk would expose any mental weakness. There’s been games where he’s looked like he was ready to explode on someone.

Reggie Miller? Larry Bird? Charles Oakley? Do I need to go on? There have been many NBA talent that has had that "look" you are describing (and those I mentioned actually did fight)

I've met Barkley. He's possibly an inch taller than I am, which would make him 6' 4" tops. He's a large human being, though.

Comparing Barkley to Konate is a distortion of facts. Barkley had been playing organized basketball since he was about eight, and around his neighborhood well before that. Konate was playing the other kind of football until he got to the States. He's still learning the game and the language. If he keeps improving he could play the 4 on the next level.

For you guys who aren't old enough to have seen Barkley play college ball, he's the reason break-away rims were introduced to the college game, he shattered backboards on a regular basis.

They played UAB on ESPN his junior year in the preseason. Not only did Barkley shatter the backboard, he shattered the backboard on the back-up basket waiting in the wings when play started back up. The game was postponed for about an hour just to have one shipped from one side of Birmingham to the other so they could finish the game. Hell, Barkley was a back-up linebacker/DE on Auburn's football team until he was a sophomore.

In college, guys were scared to death of him when he came tearing down on the break. He was the size of a nose guard bearing down on lean basketball players with a full head of steam. You could get out of the way or get run over.

Reggie Miller? Larry Bird? Charles Oakley? Do I need to go on? There have been many NBA talent that has had that "look" you are describing (and those I mentioned actually did fight)
You continue to make a fool out of yourself with your comparisons. You've omitted Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and LeBron James. I suppose that you project Konate to be just like them, too, right?

You continue to make a fool out of yourself with your comparisons. You've omitted Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and LeBron James. I suppose that you project Konate to be just like them, too, right?

I didn't compare Sags to those guys, nor the guys I mentioned.......YOU said that he has the look of erupting on someone.......and I responded with so did those guys, and many more.

Go back home.........you don't belong here

Reactions: Phil
I didn't compare Sags to those guys, nor the guys I mentioned.......YOU said that he has the look of erupting on someone.......and I responded with so did those guys, and many more.

Go back home.........you don't belong here
YOU either can't read or enjoy lying on message boards. I didn't post anything about Konate having the look of erupting on somebody. You need to take a deep breath and a step back, and stop throwing tantrums. I'm not going anywhere.

YOU either can't read or enjoy lying on message boards. I didn't post anything about Konate having the look of erupting on somebody. You need to take a deep breath and a step back, and stop throwing tantrums. I'm not going anywhere.

Well it was another poster then, but same content.......go somewhere else scum.

So, let me get this straight:
1.Huggins says he's 6'8" but you don't believe that
2. You're comparing him to Charles Barkley for some unknown reason (I haven't compared them) as somehow supporting your argument he can't make the NBA
3. He's only a sophmore, has improved vastly in 1 year, yet you've written him off from making the NBA.

I'm simply saying the guy has improved immensely, his potential is still on the way up, and, he has the quickness to potentially be an NBA player. (I'm not comparing him to Barkley or saying that he'll be all-world- just that he potentially could be an NBA player (which is the question posed by the OP).

Nate Adrian said very clearly that Konate is 6'6," so forgive me for taking the word of a former teammate over that of an anonymous message board poster, Chazz. Charles Barkley is a Hall of Famer and one of the Top 50 NBA players of all time. Barkley improved throughout his college career, too, and was the SEC Player of the Year in his Junior and last college season. If you compare their Sophomore stats, Barkley's numbers are better in PPG, APG, RPG, and FG%. Konate has more blocks, but if you expect him to be a big shot blocker in the NBA at 6'6", then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Don’t totally agree with the names you mentioned. Plus they’re HOFers. But i get your point. Alls good. I wasn’t saying it totally negatively. But no question Huggy has to manage the kids emotions.

Barkley was the same type of player.........power post.......and how tall was he?

Chazz: I wasn't the one who started the Barkley comparison nonsense (see post above). Although I agree with you that Konate has improved a lot since last season, I don't see an NBA player at this point. Whether he's 6'6" as Adrian says or 6'8" as you say, NBA centers are taller, and he'll have to play a different position in the NBA, but doesn't have the ball-handling or offensive skills to play a different position at this point. Whether he is able to develop these skills before he leaves school is anybody's guess, but the Barkley comparison is premature, if not absurd, at this stage.

Barkley was/is 6 4”

Barkley was a once in a lifetime athlete. I’ve never seen anyone that compares

Barkley was a lot thicker. And fatter. Which helped him move people and not be moved down low. And he was more coordinated and quick with his feet. Just overall more athletic. I hope Kanate makes it, but he won't have the prototypical measurables for any position. If he's 6'6", I don't see it. A huge maybe at 6'8". He won't get much quicker feet. He has an uncanny knack for blocking shots, but he'll never throw anyone thru a plate glass window and no one will ever compare him to Barkley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT