ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals has us with the No. 51-rated recruiting class

spreadoption

All-Conference
Dec 21, 2001
Wasn't giving a new contract to the Offensive Genius supposed to help recruiting?

I guess two blowout losses on national television trumps (no pun intended) a new contract for the head coach.

Time for the coaches will be searching for lost gems on the recruiting scrap heap this week.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Wasn't giving a new contract to the Offensive Genius supposed to help recruiting?

I guess two blowout losses on national television trumps (no pun intended) a new contract for the head coach.

Time for the coaches will be searching for lost gems on the recruiting scrap heap this week.

I thought he was going to bring in Top 10 classes after the 70-33 Orange bowl lol

TROLL ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are now on "ignore". Buh, bye!!!!!!

247/Sports has us as 39th. Who do you want to believe? I say believe the product on the field.

The worst part of it all is no quarterback in this class.

I'm not that concerned though, WVU will always be a program that does well but not well enough to contend. It is what it is. It's what we sign up for when we become WVU fans, perpetual torture excluding rifle. I would like to see WVU athletic department dump more funds into rifle. Give them a few extra million per year, at least they produce results. Now now, I know football is the money maker. I'm not saying let's dump all $$$ into the rifle program but I think they deserve something. It's the only sport WVU has ever won a NCAA Championship in and they won 17 of them, 4 in a row.

Hell, just look at the PR the University received at the Summer Olympics. Ginny Thrasher was the sweetheart media darling.

Unfortunately for WVU, we just don't care as much as the big programs nor do we have the resources of the big programs. For the past 30 years, have been solidified as regular top 20-30 program which is good all things considered.

Don't really know what to say if that's not good enough for you - maybe focus your hobbies elsewhere

we just don't care as much as the big programs nor do we have the resources of the big programs

now that is the excuse of excuses. guess programs like louisville, baylor, tcu, boise state, etc are just so rich compared to wvu. recruiting has not improved under the big 12-2=10 flag or dh for that matter.

Unfortunately for WVU, we just don't care as much as the big programs nor do we have the resources of the big programs. For the past 30 years, have been solidified as regular top 20-30 program which is good all things considered.

Don't really know what to say if that's not good enough for you - maybe focus your hobbies elsewhere
The excuse maestro strikes again.

I didn't realize the class was that bad. Geez!!!

No matter what contract was given to the "offensive genius" it was never going to cure the genius issue among our fanbase.

Attention Crybabies,
ESPN just did a ranking looking back at the 2013 recruiting class for all B12 teams. Guess who they had with the #1 recruiting class? WVU. The "star" predictions aren't as important as what actually happens with the class when they get here. Holgorsen and Staff crushed it with their 2013 Class. You sissies want to just complain about him non-stop. Look at the facts of what Holgs' 2013 actually did.

Re-ranking the Big 12 classes of 2013
1:16 PM ET
Max Olson
ESPN Staff Writer
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
comment
Four years later, it's time to re-rank the Big 12's recruiting classes of 2013. This class was a particularly interesting one to go back and evaluate. It's full of blue-chip busts and three-stars who shined, and the best player of them all was a walk-on. Here are our revised letter grades.

1. West Virginia

2013 grade: B-

2017 grade: B+

Top signees: WR Kevin White, RB Wendell Smallwood, CB Daryl Worley, WR Shelton Gibson, WR Mario Alford

The Mountaineers enjoyed incredible retention with this class (19 of 26 stayed) and most of those 19 became quality contributors. Five are already in the NFL and seven were key starters this season. There were a bunch of great junior college finds in this class, and the wide receiver group of White, Alford, Gibson and Daikiel Shorts definitely delivered.

2. Oklahoma State

2013 grade: B

2017 grade: B

Top signees: S Jordan Sterns, DT Vincent Taylor, OL Zachary Crabtree, S Tre Flowers, K Ben Grogan

Eight starters, eight backups, seven departures. Not bad at all. Taylor and Sterns developed into terrific players who'll get drafted this spring. The Cowboys missed on WR Ra'Shaad Samples, who transferred to Houston, but fellow ESPN 300 wideout Marcell Ateman should be a difference-maker again in 2017.

3. Oklahoma

2013 grade: B+

Top signees: LB Dominique Alexander, LB Jordan Evans, DB Ahmad Thomas, LB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, DT Charles Walker

The highly-touted members of this class mostly fizzled out, but Oklahoma's staff brought in a solid number of starters with this group. All five of those top signees were three-stars who exceeded expectations and helped the program win two Big 12 titles. Top recruit RB Keith Ford transferred to Texas A&M and was one of nine signees who left the program.

4. Kansas State

2013 grade: C

2017 grade: B-

Top signees: DE Jordan Willis, QB Jake Waters, DT Will Geary, WR Kody Cook, QB Jesse Ertz

Willis, the Big 12's Defensive Player of the Year, was of course a three-star find. Geary and Cook were walk-ons who became studs, as is tradition at K-State. Including those walk-ons, this class produced a dozen future starters. Top signee LB Nick Ramirez was a big get for the program but never played a down.

5. Baylor

Top signees: DT Andrew Billings, LB Taylor Young, DB Travon Blanchard, DE K.J. Smith, DT Byron Bonds

Billings was a terrific player, one of the Big 12's best, but only three other signees have started more than 10 games for the program so far. Nearly all the players who panned out play defense. Top signee WR Robbie Rhodes was a major bust, and RB Johnny Jefferson is unfortunately done at Baylor after rushing for 1,000 yards in 2015.

6. TCU

2013 grade: C+

Top signees: RB Kyle Hicks, DB Denzel Johnson, CB Ranthony Texada, OL Joseph Noteboom, WR Ty Slanina

This was a solid class that produced seven reliable starters. Hicks broke out as a playmaker and a leader this season, and Johnson was one of the great no-star, last-minute finds of the 2013 class. This is also a group that hasn't had great luck with injuries over the years.

7. Iowa State

2017 grade: D

Top signees: TE E.J. Bibbs, S Kamari Cotton-Moya, QB Joel Lanning, OL Jake Campos, RB Aaron Wimberly

More players left the program than stayed from this class, but Paul Rhoades' staff did find some solid talent. Bibbs was one of the nation's best tight ends in 2014. Cotton-Moya earned Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year honors and Campos, Lanning and CB Nigel Tribune have played a lot.

8. Texas Tech

Top signees: QB Baker Mayfield, QB Davis Webb, OL Baylen Brown, CB Justis Nelson, WR Dylan Cantrell

Kliff Kingsbury and his staff brought in most of these signees in their first month on the job, which is never easy. More than a dozen ended up leaving the program, and there were too many junior college busts. Tech does deserve some extra credit for landing a future Heisman Trophy finalist as a walk-on.

9. Texas

2013 grade: A-

Top signees: QB Tyrone Swoopes, OT Kent Perkins, TE Geoff Swaim, DE Naashon Hughes, WR Jacorey Warrick

Texas only took 15 signees in the final class that Mack Brown signed. Eight ended up leaving the program. So that's not good. Swoopes, Perkins and Hughes at least played a lot of games, and Swaim is still in the NFL. The toughest loss was probably Darius James, a top-25 ranked recruit who transferred and became Auburn's starting left tackle this season. Bad classes like these help get coaches fired.

10. Kansas

2017 grade: F

Top signees: CB Dexter McDonald, P Trevor Pardula, S Cassius Sendish, S Isaiah Johnson, QB Montell Cozart

Former coach Charlie Weis signed a whopping 18 junior college recruits in 2013 and only seven actually panned out. The star of that group was DT Marquel Combs, ESPN's No. 3 ranked juco recruit, who left KU after a couple months and ended up at Southeastern Louisiana. Because Weis went all-in on the quick fix of juco recruiting, guess how many of his 26 signees in this class were still on the Jayhawks' roster this season? Four. This class is a big reason why rebuilding Kansas has taken a long time.

Reactions: WVMade

You bore me.

Attention Crybabies,
ESPN just did a ranking looking back at the 2013 recruiting class for all B12 teams. Guess who they had with the #1 recruiting class? WVU. The "star" predictions aren't as important as what actually happens with the class when they get here. Holgorsen and Staff crushed it with their 2013 Class. You sissies want to just complain about him non-stop. Look at the facts of what Holgs' 2013 actually did.

Re-ranking the Big 12 classes of 2013
1:16 PM ET
Max Olson
ESPN Staff Writer
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
comment
Four years later, it's time to re-rank the Big 12's recruiting classes of 2013. This class was a particularly interesting one to go back and evaluate. It's full of blue-chip busts and three-stars who shined, and the best player of them all was a walk-on. Here are our revised letter grades.

1. West Virginia

2013 grade: B-

2017 grade: B+

Top signees: WR Kevin White, RB Wendell Smallwood, CB Daryl Worley, WR Shelton Gibson, WR Mario Alford

The Mountaineers enjoyed incredible retention with this class (19 of 26 stayed) and most of those 19 became quality contributors. Five are already in the NFL and seven were key starters this season. There were a bunch of great junior college finds in this class, and the wide receiver group of White, Alford, Gibson and Daikiel Shorts definitely delivered.

2. Oklahoma State

Top signees: S Jordan Sterns, DT Vincent Taylor, OL Zachary Crabtree, S Tre Flowers, K Ben Grogan

Eight starters, eight backups, seven departures. Not bad at all. Taylor and Sterns developed into terrific players who'll get drafted this spring. The Cowboys missed on WR Ra'Shaad Samples, who transferred to Houston, but fellow ESPN 300 wideout Marcell Ateman should be a difference-maker again in 2017.

3. Oklahoma

2013 grade: B+

Top signees: LB Dominique Alexander, LB Jordan Evans, DB Ahmad Thomas, LB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, DT Charles Walker

The highly-touted members of this class mostly fizzled out, but Oklahoma's staff brought in a solid number of starters with this group. All five of those top signees were three-stars who exceeded expectations and helped the program win two Big 12 titles. Top recruit RB Keith Ford transferred to Texas A&M and was one of nine signees who left the program.

4. Kansas State

Top signees: DE Jordan Willis, QB Jake Waters, DT Will Geary, WR Kody Cook, QB Jesse Ertz

Willis, the Big 12's Defensive Player of the Year, was of course a three-star find. Geary and Cook were walk-ons who became studs, as is tradition at K-State. Including those walk-ons, this class produced a dozen future starters. Top signee LB Nick Ramirez was a big get for the program but never played a down.

5. Baylor

Top signees: DT Andrew Billings, LB Taylor Young, DB Travon Blanchard, DE K.J. Smith, DT Byron Bonds

Billings was a terrific player, one of the Big 12's best, but only three other signees have started more than 10 games for the program so far. Nearly all the players who panned out play defense. Top signee WR Robbie Rhodes was a major bust, and RB Johnny Jefferson is unfortunately done at Baylor after rushing for 1,000 yards in 2015.

6. TCU

2013 grade: C+

Top signees: RB Kyle Hicks, DB Denzel Johnson, CB Ranthony Texada, OL Joseph Noteboom, WR Ty Slanina

This was a solid class that produced seven reliable starters. Hicks broke out as a playmaker and a leader this season, and Johnson was one of the great no-star, last-minute finds of the 2013 class. This is also a group that hasn't had great luck with injuries over the years.

7. Iowa State

Top signees: TE E.J. Bibbs, S Kamari Cotton-Moya, QB Joel Lanning, OL Jake Campos, RB Aaron Wimberly

More players left the program than stayed from this class, but Paul Rhoades' staff did find some solid talent. Bibbs was one of the nation's best tight ends in 2014. Cotton-Moya earned Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year honors and Campos, Lanning and CB Nigel Tribune have played a lot.

8. Texas Tech

Top signees: QB Baker Mayfield, QB Davis Webb, OL Baylen Brown, CB Justis Nelson, WR Dylan Cantrell

Kliff Kingsbury and his staff brought in most of these signees in their first month on the job, which is never easy. More than a dozen ended up leaving the program, and there were too many junior college busts. Tech does deserve some extra credit for landing a future Heisman Trophy finalist as a walk-on.

9. Texas

2013 grade: A-

Top signees: QB Tyrone Swoopes, OT Kent Perkins, TE Geoff Swaim, DE Naashon Hughes, WR Jacorey Warrick

Texas only took 15 signees in the final class that Mack Brown signed. Eight ended up leaving the program. So that's not good. Swoopes, Perkins and Hughes at least played a lot of games, and Swaim is still in the NFL. The toughest loss was probably Darius James, a top-25 ranked recruit who transferred and became Auburn's starting left tackle this season. Bad classes like these help get coaches fired.

10. Kansas

2017 grade: F

Top signees: CB Dexter McDonald, P Trevor Pardula, S Cassius Sendish, S Isaiah Johnson, QB Montell Cozart

Former coach Charlie Weis signed a whopping 18 junior college recruits in 2013 and only seven actually panned out. The star of that group was DT Marquel Combs, ESPN's No. 3 ranked juco recruit, who left KU after a couple months and ended up at Southeastern Louisiana. Because Weis went all-in on the quick fix of juco recruiting, guess how many of his 26 signees in this class were still on the Jayhawks' roster this season? Four. This class is a big reason why rebuilding Kansas has taken a long time.
Interesting post, would agree with you concerning star ratings. Many times a 4 or 5 star ( in both football as well as basketball ) rating along with $4.95 can barely get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I'd rather have a 10 win season, we've had what, 8 of those in the history of WVU football?
Exactly my point: We had 7 of those before this season and all of us have seen at least half of them.

I'd much rather have seen two things we have done 0 times--beat Florida St and win a Heisman.

Exactly my point: We had 7 of those before this season and all of us have seen at least half of them.

I'd much rather have seen two things we have done 0 times--beat Florida St and win a Heisman.

The heisman would be cool, I'll give you that. But beating a 10-3 FSU team? Eh, we did better in 2014 when we beat a 11-1 Baylor.

Either way, the other guys point was dumb. TCU, Baylor, Louisville, and Boise are not better programs than us.

These arguments always fascinate me. What do the rankings really mean and how accurate are they?

As example, what was the class ranking of the Pat White/Steve Slaton recruiting classes?

Wow. Glad you pointed that out. Guess DH translated talent into under achievement more than I thought! lol

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
Who the hell are you to question others why they are here. Why are you here?

WVU is awesome and clear 2nd university in my house. Family from Fairmont. Family went here. I go to a couple games per year. Huggy Bear is my favorite coach(when he's not pounding players in game). So loser riddle me this. Why is a herd POS here?

WVU is awesome and clear 2nd university in my house. Family from Fairmont. Family went here. I go to a couple games per year. Huggy Bear is my favorite coach(when he's not pounding players in game). So loser riddle me this. Why is a herd POS here?
Speaking for me, I'm here because I choose to be here. I guess I could also provide additional reasons as follows: I was born & raised in this state. I've been to more WVU games than you have, and was a season ticket holder for 15 straight years. I also have family in WV. I can't stand Huggy Bear, so that, in a nut shell, is why I'm here. Thanks for asking.

Fluffer Holgorsens disciples will always have excuses. The Fluffer himself said that recruiting has suffered due to his precarious job status. The Fluffer was just blowing hot air. The only stability he is concerned about is his own. Recruits aren't asking potential coach's for a copy of their contract. In 2017 when the Fluffer is back in 7-5 mode and his recruiting class isn't any better than it is this year the excuse will be that Dana is getting to many job offers and there scared to sign with wvu because the disciples are telling us how everyone in the world is at Fluffer Holgorsens door step trying to pluck him away from wvu.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Speaking for me, I'm here because I choose to be here. I guess I could also provide additional reasons as follows: I was born & raised in this state. I've been to more WVU games than you have, and was a season ticket holder for 15 straight years. I also have family in WV. I can't stand Huggy Bear, so that, in a nut shell, is why I'm here. Thanks for asking.

I don't believe anything you said other than you hate Huggy Bear. But if he was Marshall's coach you would be kissing his asss! So you really are jealous and filled with penis envy concerning all WVU. I've been to about 30 WVU games over the last 15 years. Pretty sure you haven't. Marshall the Community school LOL!!!

I don't believe anything you said other than you hate Huggy Bear. But if he was Marshall's coach you would be kissing his asss! So you really are jealous and filled with penis envy concerning all WVU. I've been to about 30 WVU games over the last 15 years. Pretty sure you haven't. Marshall the Community school LOL!!!
Well, you've likely attended about 80% less games than I. If it makes you feel any better, I do believe most of the things you say/type out. That's why I believe you're not very smart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT