ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when we used to play football?

skygusty

All-Conference
May 14, 2003
I don't know why, but it occurred to me to go on YouTube and see if I could find our Sun Bowl game against Oklahoma State. Don Nehlen was the coach, we had a freshman quarterback named Major Harris and our running back was AB Brown. On the other side for the Pokes was Mike Gundy at quarterback, future pro-bowler Thurman Thomas was their RB and his backup was future Pro-bowler Barry Sanders. They beat us by two points in the snow as time ran out after we failed a two point conversion. 1987. Hell of a game.

Pretty sad when you have to go backwards to see something good. WVU finished 6-6 that year and that was first in a line of 8 straight bowl losses. Oklahoma State was 10-2.

WVU led at the half 24-14

Yeah, that game was a tough loss; it was hard to take.

We got the bowl because Ohio State declined it. But if we had won, the rumor was that DN would have been the next Ohio State coach. They selected Cooper instead.

Last edited:
You don't HAVE to go that far back but I believe it was old Big East days and we gave the Cowboys everything they wanted and they had a hell of a team. Pretty sure they finished top 10 that year.

I don't know why, but it occurred to me to go on YouTube and see if I could find our Sun Bowl game against Oklahoma State. Don Nehlen was the coach, we had a freshman quarterback named Major Harris and our running back was AB Brown. On the other side for the Pokes was Mike Gundy at quarterback, future pro-bowler Thurman Thomas was their RB and his backup was future Pro-bowler Barry Sanders. They beat us by two points in the snow as time ran out after we failed a two point conversion. 1987. Hell of a game.
Faintly

I'm pretty sure that is spelled Fooseball.
The Longest Yard Waterboy GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT