ADVERTISEMENT

Raise your hand if your team played WV State in the last 20 years

Come on Herdiots, you know you're guilty of that........I'm not surprised at all that you don't want to discuss it.

To give State some credit, Cal Bailey was a helluva coach and had a stacked program. There are lot of solid D-I schools that would have had a hard time in handling that bunch from Institute in Cal's 30 plus years at the helm.

I met Cal when he was Charleston Charlie in their days as the AAA affiliate of the Pirates. When he got State's program up and rolling, the other WVIAC schools would often call him saying that their fields were too wet to play. Cal would call someone he knew on the ground and find out it hadn't rained at the place in days. People would do about anything to keep from playing his State teams.

To give State some credit, Cal Bailey was a helluva coach and had a stacked program. There are lot of solid D-I schools that would have had a hard time in handling that bunch from Institute in Cal's 30 plus years at the helm.

I met Cal when he was Charleston Charlie in their days as the AAA affiliate of the Pirates. When he got State's program up and rolling, the other WVIAC schools would often call him saying that their fields were too wet to play. Cal would call someone he knew on the ground and find out it hadn't rained at the place in days. People would do about anything to keep from playing his State teams.

I'm not slighting WV State in the least. Growing up in Glenville and being a Pioneer fan taught me to respect State. Both their football team and their marching band. It was always a treat when they came to town. BUT..........that was on the WVIAC level. Marshall was still scheduling WVIAC schools as recently as 1996......and they think we are supposed to be in awe of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT