ADVERTISEMENT

PLEASE COME TO A SETTLEMENT AFTER THE GAME AND WALK AWAY

I think you let him finish the year and that is it. You gain nothing firing him now. One of his assistants would be interim and run the same system and we would still lose. They just need to start putting feelers out now

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I think you let him finish the year and that is it. You gain nothing firing him now. One of his assistants would be interim and run the same system and we would still lose. They just need to start putting feelers out now
You can begin negotiations with the next coach (ex. Jimbo Fisher) now and get a jump on other teams looking for coaches next year. Perhaps they have already been in contact? I just don't want to see him on the sideline again.

You can begin negotiations with the next coach (ex. Jimbo Fisher) now and get a jump on other teams looking for coaches next year. Perhaps they have already been in contact? I just don't want to see him on the sideline again.
Cignetti should be approached. I understand we could have gotten him when he was at JMU, maybe won't be as good getting him away from IU and Big 10. Hell, I'd even take DickRod -

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I remember people saying Kentucky was going to steal him. I remember sitting there shaking my head like wtf, yeah right lol!! Neil Brown should be coaching Frostburg State University. I can't believe people still support this jackass.

Reactions: Nick's Name
Cignetti should be approached. I understand we could have gotten him when he was at JMU, maybe won't be as good getting him away from IU and Big 10. Hell, I'd even take DickRod -

Just like I said with Holgorsen, it's not a binary choice of "new coach" vs Brown. It is 2 separate choices. Getting rid of Brown is the easy choice. Who we hire is a completely second choice and I wouldn't be so quick to hire a one hit wonder (RR) nor a Les Miles who has a premium price tag and every incentive to rest on his laurels (Jimbo).

Just like I said with Holgorsen, it's not a binary choice of "new coach" vs Brown. It is 2 separate choices. Getting rid of Brown is the easy choice. Who we hire is a completely second choice and I wouldn't be so quick to hire a one hit wonder (RR) nor a Les Miles who has a premium price tag and every incentive to rest on his laurels (Jimbo).
For once I'd like to see us hire a premium guy.

Brown was one of the best available at the time according to many "experts." The fact is that nobody knows if a coach will be able to duplicate the same success they had at another program until after the fact.
Exactly. The problem we have is the inability or stubbornness to pull the plug when it’s time. 6 years is way more time than nearly any other similar program would wait. Typically it’s 3-4 years and that’s it. And signing extensions twice for this performance is ludicrous

Brown was one of the best available at the time according to many "experts." The fact is that nobody knows if a coach will be able to duplicate the same success they had at another program until after the fact.

It is true that you don't really know when hiring an up and coming coach if he can succeed on a bigger stage. It is also true that you have a pretty accurate picture by the 3rd season of what kind of coach you do have. I had hopes for Brown when he was hired after seeing how he talked about football fundamentals and defense which was always Holgorsen led teams' weakness. But after only scant improvement from year 1 to year 2 followed by regression in year 3, I was down on him. I don't care about COVID, portals, or even biblical plagues of Egypt, next guy gets 3-4 years max to show something better than Holgorsen did. If not, move on. WVU is not so low of a program that we cannot expect a coach to come in to the situation Brown has us in and not be significantly better by year 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePunish-EER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT