ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fires Stallings after 2 years

BombadEER

All-Conference
Jul 31, 2016
Press release:

University of Pittsburgh Director of Athletics Heather Lyke announced today that Kevin Stallings will no longer be the Panthers’ head men’s basketball coach.

“I want to express my appreciation to Coach Stallings for his commitment to our program,” Lyke said. “In moving forward, we have tremendous expectations for our men’s basketball program at Pitt and I believe we can achieve great things within the Atlantic Coast Conference and nationally. A national search for the next Pitt head coach will begin immediately.”

That's a major no-surprise. If you can't break even, even in the ACC, where 4 teams have more non-conference losses than ANY Big 12 team, you are a really, really bad coach. Jamie Dixon was a miracle worker at Pitt. They are realizing how good Dixon was now. Too late.

Last edited:
That's a major no-surprise. If you can't win in the Big 10, where 9 teams have more non-conference losses than ANY Big 12 team,you are a really, really bad coach. Jamie Dixon was a miracle worker at Pitt. They are realizing how good Dixon was now. Too late.

Jesus Christ

Don’t ever call yourself knowledgeable of sports again

B10?

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Jesus Christ

Don’t ever call yourself knowledgeable of sports again

B10?

Shut up you. Don't you know this a big time journalist with a lengthy career at major newspapers? He got paid to write his opinion down on paper which makes him an expert. He craps on other paid journalists if they don't agree with his opinions! His argument from authority applies to him, but not other journalists ... because he is just that good. Now he's going to go back to his Hugh Hefner like estate, with his vast fortune made writing for some local rags, and revel in how superior he is to us commoners. So if this paragon of a man says Pitt plays in the Big Ten, then dadgummit, Pitt plays in the Big Ten!!

That's a major no-surprise. If you can't break even, even in the ACC, where 4 teams have more non-conference losses than ANY Big 12 team, you are a really, really bad coach. Jamie Dixon was a miracle worker at Pitt. They are realizing how good Dixon was now. Too late.

Do you happen to know how Dixon did in the ACC. Record? What would you think if I told you Dixon’s last three recruiting classing were two classes ranked in the 80s and one class ranked over 100. Now think about this Eers. There are only 65 P5 schools. His last few years at PItt include missing NCAAs, a NIT birth and a CBI birth. Dixon was an excelent coach but he and AD Barnes had issues and Dixon decided to go back to TCU. You don’t know your history. Ben Howland was the miracle worker at Pitt. Just like Huggy. Howland replaced Ralph Willard and turned the program into a Top 20 Big East contender. Pitt had an agreement with Prosser to take over when Howland went home to UCLA. Prosser went back to Wake Forrest to say goodbye and decided to stay. Dixon, in the meantime, interviewed with, I believe, Eastern Michigan, and didn’t get the job. Pitt hired Dixon that week. He did a great job in Big East but failed to succeed in ACC. I’m a bit suprised as a local sports guy you didn’t know more about what you were posting about.

I don't enjoy seeing people lose their jobs, but I do think Stallings firing was warranted. His conference record was deplorable. I think any coach at that level would have been let go with so many losses in just two years.

Kevin never had a chance

Dixon left him a garbage fire of a roster and a big recruiting class who didn’t know the new coach at all, so they transferred out...

He had one recruiting class to save his job and he didn’t pull it off. Good coach. Awful situation to walk into....

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
As a WVU fan, I was hoping pitt would have kept Stallings for decades to come.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Kevin never had a chance

Dixon left him a garbage fire of a roster and a big recruiting class who didn’t know the new coach at all, so they transferred out...

He had one recruiting class to save his job and he didn’t pull it off. Good coach. Awful situation to walk into....

When is Pitt EVER a good situation to walk into?

Reactions: LHANDSDC
Press release:

University of Pittsburgh Director of Athletics Heather Lyke announced today that Kevin Stallings will no longer be the Panthers’ head men’s basketball coach.

“I want to express my appreciation to Coach Stallings for his commitment to our program,” Lyke said. “In moving forward, we have tremendous expectations for our men’s basketball program at Pitt and I believe we can achieve great things within the Atlantic Coast Conference and nationally. A national search for the next Pitt head coach will begin immediately.”

Pitt could hire this guy

But will hire this guy

Dixon wasn’t great in the acc but he won 26, 19 and 21 games and made the tournament 2 of 3 years. It will be a slow painful recovery for the kats after the stallings debacle

Kevin never had a chance

Fair!

Dixon wasn’t great in the acc but he won 26, 19 and 21 games and made the tournament 2 of 3 years. It will be a slow painful recovery for the kats after the stallings debacle

Guess you didn’t see Pitt’s scheduling when Dixon made up schedule. Remember he refused to schedule WVU. There were years his OOC never left Pittsburgh haha. Never played good team if they weren’t in a preseason tourney. He did the same thing this year. There toughest game was like St Bonnie or New Mexico LOL. That’s his stick. They lose the Challege almost every year. Then he’ll lose early in Big12 tourney almost every year. Then his 21-23 win teams usually lose early in NCAAs. WVU plays all comers. Dixon schedules to win 20 game starts per year.

You’ll figure that out over the next 5 years.

It really depends on who they hire. Its much easier to turn around a basketball program than it is a football program. Beilein proved it at wvu when he cleaned up coach leather jackets mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT