ADVERTISEMENT

Pics of old Mountaineer Field cause for a 1965 memory

tarponeer

All-Conference
Jun 2, 2003
Traveling from Cleveland to Morgantown the day before October 2, 1965, was as good as it gets for a 22-year-old WVU sports fanatic. I had come a long way to see my first-ever WVU sporting event.

Listening to Jack Fleming atop Buffalo Mountain in Mingo County was as close as I had ever gotten to the Mountaineer sports scene. I had once sat behind the great Fred Schaus when he was scouting for talent. His eyes were fixated on the talents of Jerry West and "King" Kelly Coleman as they displayed their talents on the floor of the Williamson Memorial Fieldhouse. It was an all-star game, featuring high schoolers from West Virginia and Kentucky. The year was 1956, I believe.

In case you're wondering, Schaus sat in regular seats in the elevated configuration of the fieldhouse. No special accommodations for one of the premier college coaches. And, yes, West and Coleman lit it up for their respective teams. And, yes, West led West Virginia to victory over the Bluegrassers. If memory serves me correctly, Jay Jacobs was a member of the West Virginia all-stars. Willie Akers was on the floor that night. George Ritchie, Chattaroy High great, Wake Forest standout under Bones McKinney, legendary Williamson High coach was on that team. Akers and Ritchie would later square off as high school coaches in some memory making Williamson-Logan matchups.

Ahhh, memories can make one get carried way from the main topic.

With me on the trip to Morgantown in 1965 were two Pennsylvanians. They were giving me the business. All the way to Morgantown. Now, the memory is precious. Old age will do that to you, just wait.

Staying with my uncle, a resident of Morgantown, on the night of October 1, 1965, I could hardly wait to see and feel Mountaineer Field. It was my beloved Mountaineers and the Pitt Panthers, facing off in the Backyard Brawl. The Mountaineers didn't disappoint. Winning that historic 63-48 contest. Garrett Ford ran for 192 yards, caught 76 passing yards, ran a kick back for a 73-yard TD, totaling 341 all-purpose yards. QB Allen McCune was 18-25 in passing for 320 yards, Dick Leftridge, who along with Roger Alford broke the color barrier at WVU, used his 240 pounds to plow through Pitt's defense for 129 yards. Dick Rider caught three touchdown passes from McCune.

Silence was golden on the trip back to Cleveland.

The old pics revived this memory, which, in all reality, was and is one for the books.

Thanks for sharing. Great story!

A lot of talent came out of the SW coalfields back then.
Correct me if I am wrong...
Willie Akers, Logan (50s)
Mark Cline, Williamson (early 80s)
Greg White, Mullens
Curt Warner, Pineville (70s)
Maurice Robinson, Welch (70s)...
the list goes on
Still amazing. Those counties are ghost towns now.
Mt View High School combined AAA Welch, AA Gary, & AA Northfork - and today is a Single-A school.
McDowell County had 100,000 population in 1950. Now it is 18,000.

And, add Princeton greats Jimmy Miller and Mike Eades to the list. Miller and Eades won two state AAA schoolboy championships at Princeton while playing for the legendary coach Ralph Ball. Eades, who became one of the country's top college basketball officials, was/is in a big position as a coordination administrator for officials in the Southeastern Conference.

Also, Williamson's 6foot10 giant Danny Moses, who squared off against "Mo" Robinson on several occasions in a rivalry featuring Welch High and Williamson. It was like two major college big men going toe-to-toe on high school courts. Colorful and highly successful Welch coach Frank Marino just added excitement to these matchups. Sadly, Moses passed away just over two years ago. I was honored to speak at the services for the big man of Mingo.

Rambling on here....too, Oak Hill's 6foot11 Earl Jones, and let us not forget WVU football standouts Bobby Gresham and Oscar Patrick. Amazing that both of these greats played at the same time at Big Creek High in McDowell County. Both coached by WVU grad Joel Hicks.

There are many more "pictures" out there of sports scenes that were painted, leaving us fanatics proud to be West Virginians.

Rambling on here....too, Oak Hill's 6foot11 Earl Jones
Big Earl played at Mt. Hope. I know, because I had to compete against him throughout school. In 8th grade, I pretty much was as tall as his waste line. Today, I'm almost up to his bresticles.

LOL. As they say in the country, he was a "big drink of water."

I take the "age factor amendment" on the wrong ID of Earl's school allegiance.

My sincere apologies.

And, add Princeton greats Jimmy Miller and Mike Eades to the list. Miller and Eades won two state AAA schoolboy championships at Princeton while playing for the legendary coach Ralph Ball. Eades, who became one of the country's top college basketball officials, was/is in a big position as a coordination administrator for officials in the Southeastern Conference.

Also, Williamson's 6foot10 giant Danny Moses, who squared off against "Mo" Robinson on several occasions in a rivalry featuring Welch High and Williamson. It was like two major college big men going toe-to-toe on high school courts. Colorful and highly successful Welch coach Frank Marino just added excitement to these matchups. Sadly, Moses passed away just over two years ago. I was honored to speak at the services for the big man of Mingo.

Rambling on here....too, Oak Hill's 6foot11 Earl Jones, and let us not forget WVU football standouts Bobby Gresham and Oscar Patrick. Amazing that both of these greats played at the same time at Big Creek High in McDowell County. Both coached by WVU grad Joel Hicks.

There are many more "pictures" out there of sports scenes that were painted, leaving us fanatics proud to be West Virginians.
I believe Dickie Roberts who was the starting center on '69 Peach Bowl team was from McDowell County.

And, add Princeton greats Jimmy Miller and Mike Eades to the list. Miller and Eades won two state AAA schoolboy championships at Princeton while playing for the legendary coach Ralph Ball.
I went to Princeton High 1981-84. That 1981 team was loaded. The top 6 players got scholarships. Even Jimmy Miller's back-up center - Jeff Adams - got scholarship to Bethany, I think. I got to "boo" Miller for being a traitor when WVU played UVa in NIT. lol

Other coalfield player... Russell Todd from Northfork. I think he started all 4 years for Catlett.

Just a side note or two...

Princeton's victory over Williamson in the 1981 state tournament had a fan feel that was magical. It was an electric atmosphere before, during and after the game. It was big time, especially so in the hills stretching between two schools. 1-2 in the ratings, I think. This was two big, mature-looking teams. Bigs in the 6foot8 range, rugged.

If I remember correctly, it was announced that the crowd, somewhere over the 10,000 mark, at that time was the largest to ever see a high school game in the state. The 1964 state AAA championship game, featuring Logan and then No. 1 Weirton and future Mountaineer All-American Ron Williams, probably could have drawn 20,000 had it had a bigger venue. It was played at the old fieldhouse in Morgantown. It was packed to the gills.

In that 1964 state basketball tournament, Logan (AAA), Williamson (AA) and Kermit (A) all bagged state titles, giving southern West Virginia high school basketball bragging rights. All three schools were located within a 40-45-mile radius of each other.

Reactions: 1duluth1
Just a side note or two...

Princeton's victory over Williamson in the 1981 state tournament had a fan feel that was magical. It was an electric atmosphere before, during and after the game. It was big time, especially so in the hills stretching between two schools. 1-2 in the ratings, I think. This was two big, mature-looking teams. Bigs in the 6foot8 range, rugged.

If I remember correctly, it was announced that the crowd, somewhere over the 10,000 mark, at that time was the largest to ever see a high school game in the state. The 1964 state AAA championship game, featuring Logan and then No. 1 Weirton and future Mountaineer All-American Ron Williams, probably could have drawn 20,000 had it had a bigger venue. It was played at the old fieldhouse in Morgantown. It was packed to the gills.

In that 1964 state basketball tournament, Logan (AAA), Williamson (AA) and Kermit (A) all bagged state titles, giving southern West Virginia high school basketball bragging rights. All three schools were located within a 40-45-mile radius of each other.
I was at the 81 game at the new Charleston Civic Center. Princeton beat undefeated Williamson for AAA title, but lost to Williamson in both regular season games.
When Williamson came to Princeton in 1981, the visiting fans had a couple of charter busses and brought a lot of people. Princeton's gym seated about 2800, but was standing room only. I got to thr gym at 630pm and got one of the last seats.
In warm ups before refs came out, Princeton & Williamson players got into a dunking competition on each end of gym. Crowd was roaring with each dunk - in WARM UPS!
Never see a scene like that again.
20 years later, I went back to Princeton to see a game against Bluefield and the gym was nearly empty. I guess all the kids at home on the Playstations?

Traveling from Cleveland to Morgantown the day before October 2, 1965, was as good as it gets for a 22-year-old WVU sports fanatic. I had come a long way to see my first-ever WVU sporting event.

Listening to Jack Fleming atop Buffalo Mountain in Mingo County was as close as I had ever gotten to the Mountaineer sports scene. I had once sat behind the great Fred Schaus when he was scouting for talent. His eyes were fixated on the talents of Jerry West and "King" Kelly Coleman as they displayed their talents on the floor of the Williamson Memorial Fieldhouse. It was an all-star game, featuring high schoolers from West Virginia and Kentucky. The year was 1956, I believe.

In case you're wondering, Schaus sat in regular seats in the elevated configuration of the fieldhouse. No special accommodations for one of the premier college coaches. And, yes, West and Coleman lit it up for their respective teams. And, yes, West led West Virginia to victory over the Bluegrassers. If memory serves me correctly, Jay Jacobs was a member of the West Virginia all-stars. Willie Akers was on the floor that night. George Ritchie, Chattaroy High great, Wake Forest standout under Bones McKinney, legendary Williamson High coach was on that team. Akers and Ritchie would later square off as high school coaches in some memory making Williamson-Logan matchups.

Ahhh, memories can make one get carried way from the main topic.

With me on the trip to Morgantown in 1965 were two Pennsylvanians. They were giving me the business. All the way to Morgantown. Now, the memory is precious. Old age will do that to you, just wait.

Staying with my uncle, a resident of Morgantown, on the night of October 1, 1965, I could hardly wait to see and feel Mountaineer Field. It was my beloved Mountaineers and the Pitt Panthers, facing off in the Backyard Brawl. The Mountaineers didn't disappoint. Winning that historic 63-48 contest. Garrett Ford ran for 192 yards, caught 76 passing yards, ran a kick back for a 73-yard TD, totaling 341 all-purpose yards. QB Allen McCune was 18-25 in passing for 320 yards, Dick Leftridge, who along with Roger Alford broke the color barrier at WVU, used his 240 pounds to plow through Pitt's defense for 129 yards. Dick Rider caught three touchdown passes from McCune.

Silence was golden on the trip back to Cleveland.

The old pics revived this memory, which, in all reality, was and is one for the books.
txs for the memory jog. was at that shootout as a freshman at wvu. my wife to be was with me. ended up later working at wajr and writing jack's sports. worked the msn with him. but that day was special.

Reactions: 1duluth1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT