ADVERTISEMENT

Pens-Final 3 Reg. Season games

Finally back home today after consecutive weeks of corporate meetings in St Louis. Regrettably, I did not get a chance to see the Blues this past Monday night, as we had an affair that evening at Busch Stadium.....but I heard that several Canadians associates (in town for the same meeting) bolted Busch early and took in the Avalanche and Blues..

Unfortunately, my concern last weekend over playing the scalding hot Dead Wings this week proved accurate.....and frankly, I'm only slightly less concerned about tonight's rematch. You have to think they'll come out very confident; and having nothing to lose always takes off the pressure.

Geno and Tanger are being called game-time decisions; sounds like the team is at least willing to consider the idea of running both of them out there tonight......and if that happened to result in a win, perhaps both would sit out again Saturday. On the negative side, it sounds like Dumo is definitely out tonight, and I get the impression he won't play Saturday either. Great time to have your two best D-men.....and your second best forward......injured.

Definitely nervous tonight......just so there's no confusion, the Pens can absolutely still miss the playoffs altogether if they lose their last two and Carolina, Columbus, and Montreal each win out. Looks better for the Jerks (at NJD and at PHL) and Blojax (at NYR and at OTT) than it does for the Habs (at WAS and TOR).

FYI, NYI (at FLA and at WAS) are in 2nd by 2 points over the Pens.
For certain, backing into the playoff and getting that last WC spot would likely drive me ballistic...missing altogether no matter how unlikely? Well I'll probably just drive down to Motown and jump off Star City bridge with a cinder block...make a real spectacle of the occasion....anyone else is free to join :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:....just WIN THE DAMNED GAME TONIGHT!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Finally back home today after consecutive weeks of corporate meetings in St Louis. Regrettably, I did not get a chance to see the Blues this past Monday night, as we had an affair that evening at Busch Stadium.....but I heard that several Canadians associates (in town for the same meeting) bolted Busch early and took in the Avalanche and Blues..

Unfortunately, my concern last weekend over playing the scalding hot Dead Wings this week proved accurate.....and frankly, I'm only slightly less concerned about tonight's rematch. You have to think they'll come out very confident; and having nothing to lose always takes off the pressure.

Geno and Tanger are being called game-time decisions; sounds like the team is at least willing to consider the idea of running both of them out there tonight......and if that happened to result in a win, perhaps both would sit out again Saturday. On the negative side, it sounds like Dumo is definitely out tonight, and I get the impression he won't play Saturday either. Great time to have your two best D-men.....and your second best forward......injured.

Definitely nervous tonight......just so there's no confusion, the Pens can absolutely still miss the playoffs altogether if they lose their last two and Carolina, Columbus, and Montreal each win out. Looks better for the Jerks (at NJD and at PHL) and Blojax (at NYR and at OTT) than it does for the Habs (at WAS and TOR).

FYI, NYI (at FLA and at WAS) are in 2nd by 2 points over the Pens.
Also out of curiosity how do ya like St. Lou? We were considering heading down for the Eers game early Sept, and figured it wasn't TOO far away from Columbia (I think it is?) Midwest speaking...no go now as we are doing the home date vs Wolfpack and I have a major job the week before already sched. ...was just wondering. It's always been a city a bit curious about...

It is official...here we go, flag is up and destruction of the Isles is priority #1! **** those guys! **** em...
qv8HMVur.jpg

Reactions: WVRON and COOL MAN
Coming off last night's more-comfortable-than-I-expected win, here is DK's report on today's optional skate:

A night after their playoff-clinching win, the Penguins held a rare regular-season optional practice. Only a dozen or so players, including Sidney Crosby, took to the ice for some skills development work with Ty Hennes. Those taking the option were Phil Kessel, Patric Hornqvist, Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin, Jake Guentzel, Bryan Rust, Jack Johnson and Murray. Mike Chiasson, the goalie development coach at the Lemieux Complex, served as backup to DeSmith.

I don't claim to know a thing about between-games prep time for hockey players, but does it surprise you that essentially every key player on the roster (with the exception of the injured Dumo) skated today ?? Anyway, does this lead you to believe they're going to dress the absolute fullest roster they can possibly play tomorrow night....including Murray in the cage.....in order to earn that 3rd-place clinching win ??

If so, that sounds like a pretty logical move......as it's hard for me to imagine that a night off is a good enough reason to run the risk of being forced to play the Craps in the 1st Round.

Reactions: torontoeers
Coming off last night's more-comfortable-than-I-expected win, here is DK's report on today's optional skate:

A night after their playoff-clinching win, the Penguins held a rare regular-season optional practice. Only a dozen or so players, including Sidney Crosby, took to the ice for some skills development work with Ty Hennes. Those taking the option were Phil Kessel, Patric Hornqvist, Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin, Jake Guentzel, Bryan Rust, Jack Johnson and Murray. Mike Chiasson, the goalie development coach at the Lemieux Complex, served as backup to DeSmith.

I don't claim to know a thing about between-games prep time for hockey players, but does it surprise you that essentially every key player on the roster (with the exception of the injured Dumo) skated today ?? Anyway, does this lead you to believe they're going to dress the absolute fullest roster they can possibly play tomorrow night....including Murray in the cage.....in order to earn that 3rd-place clinching win ??

If so, that sounds like a pretty logical move......as it's hard for me to imagine that a night off is a good enough reason to run the risk of being forced to play the Craps in the 1st Round.

Yes I’d go all out to get the win tomorrow night and that includes Murr in the cage. We won’t play again till at the earliest Wednesday and maybe not till Thursday. Murr will get at least three days off and as well as he’s playing I don’t want him idle too long as he’s in a groove.

APR 6 question for the group: are you feeling legitimately better about Kessel after the past few games......or do you see his current "streak" to be something that can/will quickly disappear once playoff-level defensive intensity begins to develop ??

APR 6 question for the group: are you feeling legitimately better about Kessel after the past few games......or do you see his current "streak" to be something that can/will quickly disappear once playoff-level defensive intensity begins to develop ??

Phil is streaky and usually plays well in the post season sans last post season. I feel much, much better and think he’s poised to be a difference maker.

I am honestly dumbstruck on that one...watching this guy throughout his career he is an enigma. Phil is Phil is about all I can say legit ...

I am honestly dumbstruck on that one...watching this guy throughout his career he is an enigma. Phil is Phil is about all I can say legit ...

the guy wants to "turn it on" when he needs to, welp he's found the perfect organization for that.

Playing one of the WORST in the league. And lying down the Bitches...**** me....

I was really confident that the Pens were focused and ready. Then the final week happened and all I saw was vintage November hockey. Odd man rushes against, atrocious breakaways against on the pp, blind passes to space, and players chasing points vs playing within the Sullivan system.

BTW, Malkin #802 in the league in plus/minus ar -25. Fat Phil minus 19. Lucky Pens have these guys for 3 more years too.....

Screw NBC for that nooner. Those are the worst and we know the Pens always play flat in those.

NBC knows the Pens are among the best TV draws in the League.....and they want to avoid conflict with the late afternoon Masters telecast.

If you have NHL Network on your cable or satellite, they're showing WB/S at Lehigh Valley (Cryers) this afternoon beginning at 300pm EDT.

So what kind of series is everyone expecting? I haven’t watched the Isles a lot this year but it sounds like they’re a very solid team defensively and it could be a low scoring series. As usual ST’s could be the difference in this one.

So what kind of series is everyone expecting? I haven’t watched the Isles a lot this year but it sounds like they’re a very solid team defensively and it could be a low scoring series. As usual ST’s could be the difference in this one.

I'm having a hard time taking them seriously without tavares... I just don't buy it.

as to low scoring, you almost have to expect that given the pens struggles lately.

I believe the Isles have some of the lowest shots on in the league...so this to me means NO SOFTIES allowed and we should be fine...I also have a feeling we'll be nail biting toward the end of every game with the Pens propensity this year to cough up games they have in hand in the latter half of 3rd... Isles are a well coached and disciplined unit. Figure out some ways to make em unhinged and take bad penalties...SPEED!!!

Reactions: WVRON
I believe the Isles have some of the lowest shots on in the league...so this to me means NO SOFTIES allowed and we should be fine...I also have a feeling we'll be nail biting toward the end of every game with the Pens propensity this year to cough up games they have in hand in the latter half of 3rd... Isles are a well coached and disciplined unit. Figure out some ways to make em unhinged and take bad penalties...SPEED!!!

lots and lots of "structure" under trotz on the island. isles gave up most goals per game last year and gave up the least this year.

Sounds like the Pens would be well served to get leads early in games. Would also be helpful if the Pens could find that killer instinct and put games away when the opportunity presents itself. Protecting one goal leads late in game doesn’t always turn out well.

Sounds like the Pens would be well served to get leads early in games. Would also be helpful if the Pens could find that killer instinct and put games away when the opportunity presents itself. Protecting one goal leads late in game doesn’t always turn out well.

nah, they are too busy trying to set up jake for number 40.

If Murr plays like he has been and our PP scores goals and doesn’t give up shortys I say Pens in six. What’s everyone else’s series predictions?

I'm personally worried (specifically) about Geno and Kessel's propensity for turnovers which will result in breakaways for the Isles.....beyond that, as long as MM holds up, I'll take my chances.

However, I think this is a much closer series than the League media is trying to portray it; the Isles obviously don't have the Pens' talent.....though they have a good handful of legitimate players that can beat you......but Trotz clearly has them believing. And, you can't underestimate that kind of quality.

Meanwhile, if I were an Isles fan, the thing I'd worry about the most is Greiss and (especially) Lehner.......both of whom (and Lehner especially) admittedly were pretty damned good during the regular season. But we all know the playoffs are a different cup of tea; and if anyone in the League is overdue for a bad stretch, it's Lehner.

I'm personally worried (specifically) about Geno and Kessel's propensity for turnovers which will result in breakaways for the Isles.....beyond that, as long as MM holds up, I'll take my chances.

This will likely determine the length of the series... guaranteed the pens start sloppy in this regard.

However, I think this is a much closer series than the League media is trying to portray it; the Isles obviously don't have the Pens' talent.....though they have a good handful of legitimate players that can beat you......but Trotz clearly has them believing. And, you can't underestimate that kind of quality.

Meanwhile, if I were an Isles fan, the thing I'd worry about the most is Greiss and (especially) Lehner.......both of whom (and Lehner especially) admittedly were pretty damned good during the regular season. But we all know the playoffs are a different cup of tea; and if anyone in the League is overdue for a bad stretch, it's Lehner.
Oh I'd definitely be worried bout Lehner were I an Isles loser...now just watch, he will do headstands now that I said that.
Meanwhile ...anyone notice the tix prices on Stub hub for the Isles home dates? Twice what the Burg is easily...tells me one thing, their small but devoted base out in Nassau has obviously been starved for playoff hockey. If these games were at Barklays? I would think not quite a commanding price?

Oh I'd definitely be worried bout Lehner were I an Isles loser...now just watch, he will do headstands now that I said that.
Meanwhile ...anyone notice the tix prices on Stub hub for the Isles home dates? Twice what the Burg is easily...tells me one thing, their small but devoted base out in Nassau has obviously been starved for playoff hockey. If these games were at Barklays? I would think not quite a commanding price?

a lot more money on long island than in the burgh...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT