ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 1/16-31

Did you guys see where Tortarella got run over by Rene Borque during an outdoor practice today and sustained broken ribs? Ouch!

Did you guys see where Tortarella got run over by Rene Borque during an outdoor practice today and sustained broken ribs? Ouch!

Heard about it, but have not seen it (though in don't know ifv any footage of the incident is floating around). Can't imagine too many folks are feeling THAT sorry for Torts.

Meanwhile, I had the misfortune to have caught (unlike THU night) the 1st period of today's game, and the Pens are justifiably down two. Maatta was totally unprepared on the first goal (and Flower didn't look all that ready either), and a short-hander against is a sign as well.

Maybe I should switch to the Mountaineers-Texas Tech game and switch BACK to hockey at commercials and at the half.

Just looked it up this AM Euell...talk about a bad 'break'!...and yeah Torts isn't getting much sympathy from me lol!

Meanwhile nothing quite like an own goal to get ya back in it!....OH WAIT! Geno! Hat trick!!! That was a beauty play by Geno on the own goal as well!

And as we've all been sayin...get the puck on net and good things tend to happen! Really controlling the play in this 3rd...and the Canucks look to be a bit tired...good timing. Hold the fort here again this aft lads...

Wow...that was close. And how often do ya see TWO hattricks in one game? Not to often I'm sure nowadays...

Let's make this little streak into a big one...

Last edited:
Earlier, I was convinced we were going to lose two today......and we end up winning both !!!

You're right about 2 HT's in a game, t; off the top of my head, I myself don't think I've ever seen that happen before. What makes a game like this......and the other night versus the Cryers.....so good is that the Pens are actually starting to look (offensively) like the team we've gotten accustomed to watching over the last half-dozen+ seasons; meaning enough scoring to overcome a lot of deficits.

Obviously great to see Geno get back to his dominating ways, and I'm glad Sid got rewarded with the ENG. It's also nice to see the Pens pull one out when Flower wasn't at his best (though I realize a couple of those goals.....like the 4th, especially.....weren't his fault). I'm now waiting for Hagelin to get his first, though his speed and work ethic seems to be making a difference beyond scoring. It's possible the Pens have found their "heart and soul" replacement for Dupuis. Tied for the WC after today's win; would be nice to see Columbus play a good game against somebody else (besides the Pens) for once and beat the B's tonight......and Jersey should have it's hands full in Winnipeg tonight.

Meanwhile, I still can't figure how in the hell the Mountaineers pulled that one out in Lubbock. It certainly seemed like pretty much every bounce went Tech's way today; and that may be the best FT shooting exhibition I've seen in my life. I mean, about 27 of those made FT's were pure string music......you shoot that many FT's that well, and there's no possible way you can lose. Outside Holton....who I thought was very good today......they got essentially nothing (10 points 6 rebounds) from the rest of their forwards. And the Smith kid absolutely took them to school today.

And yet WVU walks off with the win......that last minute was probably the best Tarik P has played in his entire basketball career. Not sure I can recall the Mountaineers ever winning with a 10-2 run; as disappointing as the last two losses were, for me, today was almost equally satisfying. BTW, did you realize we actually shot our own FT's pretty well today (22 of 28, 77%) ??

Earlier, I was convinced we were going to lose two today......and we end up winning both !!!

You're right about 2 HT's in a game, t; off the top of my head, I myself don't think I've ever seen that happen before. What makes a game like this......and the other night versus the Cryers.....so good is that the Pens are actually starting to look (offensively) like the team we've gotten accustomed to watching over the last half-dozen+ seasons; meaning enough scoring to overcome a lot of deficits.

Obviously great to see Geno get back to his dominating ways, and I'm glad Sid got rewarded with the ENG. It's also nice to see the Pens pull one out when Flower wasn't at his best (though I realize a couple of those goals.....like the 4th, especially.....weren't his fault). I'm now waiting for Hagelin to get his first, though his speed and work ethic seems to be making a difference beyond scoring. It's possible the Pens have found their "heart and soul" replacement for Dupuis. Tied for the WC after today's win; would be nice to see Columbus play a good game against somebody else (besides the Pens) for once and beat the B's tonight......and Jersey should have it's hands full in Winnipeg tonight.

Meanwhile, I still can't figure how in the hell the Mountaineers pulled that one out in Lubbock. It certainly seemed like pretty much every bounce went Tech's way today; and that may be the best FT shooting
Heard about it, but have not seen it (though in don't know ifv any footage of the incident is floating around). Can't imagine too many folks are feeling THAT sorry for Torts.

Meanwhile, I had the misfortune to have caught (unlike THU night) the 1st period of today's game, and the Pens are justifiably down two. Maatta was totally unprepared on the first goal (and Flower didn't look all that ready either), and a short-hander against is a sign as well.

Maybe I should switch to the Mountaineers-Texas Tech game and switch BACK to hockey at commercials and at the half.
Actually, to be grammatically c
exhibition I've seen in my life. I mean, about 27 of those made FT's were pure string music......you shoot that many FT's that well, and there's no possible way you can lose. Outside Holton....who I thought was very good today......they got essentially nothing (10 points 6 rebounds) from the rest of their forwards. And the Smith kid absolutely took them to school today.

And yet WVU walks off with the win......that last minute was probably the best Tarik P has played in his entire basketball career. Not sure I can recall the Mountaineers ever winning with a 10-2 run; as disappointing as the last two losses were, for me, today was almost equally satisfying. BTW, did you realize we actually shot our own FT's pretty well today (22 of 28, 77%) ??

To be grammatically correct I should have said "ran over." I have always heard broken ribs are extremely painful. I wouldn't wish them on Ovechkin even! LOL!

Meanwhile, I still can't figure how in the hell the Mountaineers pulled that one out in Lubbock. It certainly seemed like pretty much every bounce went Tech's way today; and that may be the best FT shooting exhibition I've seen in my life. I mean, about 27 of those made FT's were pure string music......you shoot that many FT's that well, and there's no possible way you can lose. Outside Holton....who I thought was very good today......they got essentially nothing (10 points 6 rebounds) from the rest of their forwards. And the Smith kid absolutely took them to school today.

Tarik is the kind of player I think any team would want. It seems to me Huggins does not get that upset when he makes a mistake because he knows he is playing hard and will compensate for it in the long run. I know he has been singing his praises all season.
I agree that Holton looked good. He had that fire in his belly.
These guys are fun to watch!

So, nobody doing the Pens any favors lately; the Lightning, Devils (especially), and Bruins keep winning.

That makes tonight's game versus Jersey especially important; I'd dearly love to see the Pens make the Devils look up at them for awhile in a WC spot with 2 games in hand. And who knows, maybe we can get the Laffs to show up tomorrow night versus Tampa [roll]

Pens keep falling behind early; we all know Jersey is the absolute last team against whom we want them to fall behind. Will be interesting to see if Sully can light a fire under their asses in the pregame tonight rather than after the 1st period.

Bennett definitely out......no shock there.....while Kunitz and Letang are a game time decision; I want both of them in the lineup for a game this important. And unfortunately......coming off the egg they laid in Jersey back in November.....Bobby Farnham is back after his 4 game suspension. I remember how well BF played in that 4-0 ass-kicking.

I just hope the Pens aren't one of those teams against whom the planets will always seem to line-up for Farnham.

So far so good...badly outplayed majority of first but then an all important first goal!
A bit of luck combined with Flower standing on his head a bit....looking forward to the rest of this game. ...a victory tonight would really get things rolling imo...
I know I'm nitpicking a bit here but does anyone else wish MAF would freeze it just a bit less and eliminate 2 or 3 unnecessary faceoffs deep in our end? ....I think he's ok in playing the puck I OBVIOUSLY just don't want to see him wandering....yeah I'm nitpicking but I suppose if that's the case things are looking fairly good!

Another question I've been thinking on...although perhaps a trivial one...now that it's been around awhile , how do you fellas feel about the 'vegas' style gold? I actually quite like it (at least more than the old throwback baby blues they brought back around that Buffalo winter classic timeframe), I also like the traditional yellower gold when they bring it out every few weeks...just curious....
We are all over them right now and showing a lot of jam! I like it....

And in other news...the Habs are happily done for. Stick the fork in em now...in watching their recent lowlights vs Columbus they look completely lost. Markov and Subban are obviously trying to do WAY too much , and committing gaffes all over the ice. It is painfully obvious Galchenyuk is no number 1 C, and of course there is the Price factor....
Bergivin has promised Therrien won't be canned but he may have no choice down the stretch here....but then again what French speaking retread coach is he gonna replace him with? Boucher? Carboneau again? Yikes...LOL.

Reactions: COOL MAN
If you guys didn't hear about this late today, the Ducks have already given up on Adam Clendening; they really never had room for him in the first place, and now they need a spot for Despres.

I believe AC was picked up by Edmonton; no real shock he landed there. I'd like to see the kid stick with the Oil; but if he can't make it there......with a team whose defense remains thinner than even the Pens......you have to figure he's destined to play to ride buses the rest of his career.

Another question I've been thinking on...although perhaps a trivial one...now that it's been around awhile , how do you fellas feel about the 'vegas' style gold? I actually quite like it (at least more than the old throwback baby blues they brought back around that Buffalo winter classic timeframe), I also like the traditional yellower gold when they bring it out every few weeks...just curious....
We are all over them right now and showing a lot of jam! I like it....

I myself have never been all that enamored with the Vegas Gold shade (nor the basic design of the current primary home blacks). To me, the current 3rd jersey (with the yellow gold) is MUCH more the Penguins I know and love. Meanwhile, if they insisted on staying with the Vegas Gold, I wouldn't at all mind if they went to the Stadium Series whites (with perhaps a change or two) versus Chicago as their primary road uni.

I thought it was exceptionally good looking as white unis go......

Last edited:
Non-Pens while the ASG break is underway......what did you guys think of the Wideman incident ??

Aside the fact he played for the Bruins at one time, I have nothing against the guy. But even though he may indeed have been somewhat woozy from the hit in the corner.....and I'm not sure he had foresight as to what he was about to do......I don't see how anyone can deny he purposely put the wood to the linesman. I mean he pulled that stick up and flat laid the guy out.

I appreciate Wideman doesn't have a history of this kind of behavior, and I'm not sure he's not entitled to at least some consideration owing to the hit in the corner. But IMO, the League will be fully justified if they throw the full book at him. If he doesn't get at least 10 games, let's just say I won't be able to figure out why. And if he doesn't get the full 20, I wonder if the officials go public in dispute (though I don't think that's how the NHL Officials do business).

Then there's all the shit Milan Lucic.....the other ex-Bruin in the news......has pulled this week. The Connauton sucker punch alone should earn him at least a couple games off, and then he suckers the linesman who was right in his line of sight just because Cody McLeod stood up to him. Of course, nobody in the League has a shorter fuse than Lucic when somebody has the temerity to actually challenge him.

I hope Lucic gets 5-10 games combined for his hothead reputation alone.

Post ASG-Skills comments:
  1. Geno wins target practice if he doesn't preen to the crowd asking for noise......why Geno ???
  2. Great how Luongo and Schneider started "fighting" to allow Brett Burns' son score
  3. Hysterical when Schneider positively dove out of the goal before Burns' shot
  4. Speaking of Burns, he may be the single ugliest mother f****** in sports
  5. I've already had enough of the genuflecting over Dylan Larkin
  6. Geno says what he's going to do versus Dubnyk in the breakaway and still scores twice
  7. Yagr was treated like a king, and still he had to make sure he told the crowd he can't wait to get out of town tomorrow
  8. Outside Shea Weber, none of the Preds AS's looked like they belonged

Post ASG-Skills comments:
  1. Geno wins target practice if he doesn't preen to the crowd asking for noise......why Geno ???
  2. Great how Luongo and Schneider started "fighting" to allow Brett Burns' son score
  3. Hysterical when Schneider positively dove out of the goal before Burns' shot
  4. Speaking of Burns, he may be the single ugliest mother f****** in sports
  5. I've already had enough of the genuflecting over Dylan Larkin
  6. Geno says what he's going to do versus Dubnyk in the breakaway and still scores twice
  7. Yagr was treated like a king, and still he had to make sure he told the crowd he can't wait to get out of town tomorrow
  8. Outside Shea Weber, none of the Preds AS's looked like they belonged
A bit late to the party here but I'll take a stab at sharing my thoughts...

1st- I'm right with you on the Geno target contest....I understand he was trying to get the crowd involved but I was like 'Geno NO!!! What are you doing?!?' Lol...
2nd- the 3 on 3 format is obviously a winner here , and quite frankly at least makes the event watchable...they even looked like they were enjoying themselves!
3rd- speaking of enjoying one's self Jags looked like he was having a grand ole time laughing etc amongst all the players ,with all the attention thrown his way...BUT when it comes to the interviews he is the same colossaly BORED individual....same old Jags from what I remember in years past. I mean cmon at least TRY to look interested?!?
4th- John Scott...lol at you NHL...their apparent attempts at sabotaging the whole scenario made him out the hero (and fair enough good for that), and I credit the other players for doing their best to make him feel welcome. The game and entire weekend worked out very well for the league yet still gobs of egg all over their faces...only in the NHL I say...and in the one interview I heard on radio with Bettman, they were grilling him good, but ole Gary wouldn't bite on the Scott issue, kept saying how wonderful everything is and that interviewers were trying to take away from the event...I suppose what could he say really...
5th- Speaking of little Napoleon (you obviously know my feelings on him now lol), how do you fellas feel about this rather lengthy extension?!? I cannot argue the fact he has grown the game , whilst at the same time watering it down through expansion, and now possibly more (hopefully not imo) teams? While also effectively ignoring the lack of scoring in regulation time...this one is EASY in my books, reduce the size of the michelin man between the pipes...I don't by the equipment safety issue being argued one bit! Hall, Sawchuck, and Bower took a puck to the face they were stitched up within minutes and back on the ice pronto!

Oh...and 6th...yes enough of the Larkin love in please...nauseating after a while....

Just my 2 cents

This Wideman hearing result will be interesting. ...I think they gotta give him at least 15...

Here I am complaining of regulation goals and we may have a barn burner here...It could be worse for Ottawa really at this point...It is so (happily) obvious just how much speed Daley and Hagelin have added to this team...I LOVE high flying hockey...

Oh! No way Flower could stop that one to go 3-2...keep up the pace lads!

Ok...now HOW IN THE HELL does Kuhnhackl get the penalty there???? Honestly...my feed is the Sens crew and they couldn't believe it...and just like that 4-3. F sakes!!!

Last edited:
And BIG announcement lol...in honour of ushering in a new and improved era of SHIT, a nod to the past they haven't seen for eons...I honestly love how they figure it changes a damned thing...and to be honest, when Shanahan could compare the logo to the crest many honoured Canadians wore in both world wars and Korea? I could F'n slap him...you manage a bunch of multimillion dollar underachieving athletes Brendan...shut the hell up....

Regardless the 'new-old' way to keep on sucking!
image.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT