ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 1/16-31

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well, why not kickoff the new thread with a fairly major deal: Perron and Clendening to Anaheim for Carl Hagelin.

What do we know about the players; obviously, the Pens had lost most (if not ALL) their faith in Perron, and it seems pretty clear Clendening did little (or was given little opportunity) to curry any confidence in the organization. So, to find anyone willing to give them ANY kind of return for these two is, IMO, borderline amazing. It's no secret Hagelin was the series MVP in the Rangers' shutout of the Pens in last year's playoffs. I was frankly delighted to get him out of the Metro when he signed the extension with the Ducks.

Meanwhile, CH did essentially nothing this season to earn the $4 million the Ducks were paying him; I think I read he had 12 points in 40+ games. But he's a skater, and therefore probably MUCH better suited for the smaller, faster Eastern than the WAY bigger and tougher West. I know he was never happy to have gotten traded last summer, but there was no way the NYR could have paid him.

I think he's in the first year of a 4 year deal, while Perron (and I think Clendening, too) is a FA. The fact Anaheim traded for two rentals obviously indicates their level of dissatisfaction with Hagelin; I think it possible he told the Ducks he didn't like California, while I doubt Perron was currentry any happier in Pittsburgh. It also tells me the Ducks were focused on reacquiring the long-term cap space they committed to Hagelin. He also gives the Ducks a scapegoat for their thus far lousy season.

But if the Pens can get the Hagelin who was playing the last couple seasons for the NYR......admittedly, THE biggest "if" of the deal......it has chance to be a damned good for the Pens. I'm definitely a Hagelin fan, and they can sure use a forward with some wheels; in fact, it won't surprise me if he plays tomorrow with Sid.

Anyway, I like......and borderline LOVE.......this deal as much as Daley for Scuderi.

I agree...it was nice to wake up and hear of this after a good effort albeit ending in a loss...I only see potential upside for the Pens and really nothing for the Ducks based on what we've seen from the 2 that are leaving...Hagelin was a MAJOR thorn in our side vs the Rangers, indeed let's hope he can capture some of that magic again. Speed and a bit of skill...I'll take it. Now....let's figure out a way to bolster this D any way we can. Letang is playing a bit better of late imo (at least putting some points on the board), and he needs to be our horse back there...let's get him some help if the plan is to make the playoffs....

Another thought....don't the Leafs get the Pens 1st round pick if they make the playoffs? It's gonna take a monumental effort to climb high enough in the East to make it out of the first round and get a decent draw...I'll ask you fella's, if we finish up 8th and squeak in, only to get drummed out 4 straight is that worth giving them the first? I know every team has a shot when in a playoff spot but, I'm not entirely sure I'd rather miss and keep that pick....hmmm....

Picks in the Kessel deal were conditional, and I think in this manner:

--If Pens make the playoffs this year, Leafs get the Pens #1 in 2016 while the Pens get a Leafs #2 (the pick they received from PIT in the Daniel Winnick trade) in 2016.

--If Pens miss the playoffs this season, Leafs get the Pens #1 in 2017 while the Pens get the Leafs #2 in 2017.

--If Pens miss the playoffs in 2016 & 2017, Leafs get the Pens #2 in 2017 and the Pens get no draft pick from the Leafs.

ADDENDUM -- INTERESTING TO SEE THE MAJOR ASSETS EXCHANGED IN THE NY/ANAHEIM DEAL LAST SUMMER.......EMERSON ETEM AND CARL HAGELIN......HAVE BEEN TRADED WITHIN A WEEK OF ONE ANOTHER.

Last edited:
No surprise whatsoever......and I haven't seen HNIC guys start foaming at the mouth yet......but it appears the consensus is this was a downright fabulous deal for Anaheim. All of a sudden, Perron is being called a scorer and has great hands, while Murray is getting kudos from every direction for the cap flexibility he finds when he hits the eject button on Perron after the season.

Meanwhile, GMJR is concurrently being dragged though the coals for bringing in not only the long-term salary, but the fact he brought in another forward rather than a defenseman (though the level of defenseman David Perron would attract right now might be good enough to play in the 3rd pairing in WB/S). Of course, they're going to need a 3.5-4.0 million Top 6 winger next season anyway; not all agree, but I'm not sure they sign a better FA with Perron's dollars than Hagelin anyway.

So far, I think the Daley deal looks pretty decent......that one belongs to GMJR.......and I'm certainly prepared to give Hagelin every benefit of the doubt that Anaheim was simply a lousy spot for him. I'm very anxious to see this guy jetting up and down the wing with Sid or Geno.

I thought Perron was playing well the last few weeks but still no production. But even with the lack of production, this trade is a disaster. Hagelin has scored no more than 15-17 goals per yr in his career. Even if he scores 10 from here on in, the Pens are stuck with a completely inflexible contract. This was a desperate move by a desparate GM.

I thought Perron was playing well the last few weeks but still no production. But even with the lack of production, this trade is a disaster. Hagelin has scored no more than 15-17 goals per yr in his career. Even if he scores 10 from here on in, the Pens are stuck with a completely inflexible contract. This was a desperate move by a desparate GM.

You're obviously free to assess the deal in any manner you see fit; but exactly how can you describe trading essentially like dollars for like dollars (for this season, at least) as "desperate" ??

Granted, the term of Hagelin's contract does impact the Penguins quite a bit more than Perron's does to Anaheim. But if Hagelin can play with Sid or Geno on the Top 6 and increase his seasonal goal output to roughly 20......and granted that's a reasonably big if, of course, especially after dealing with Kessel's act thus far.....I honestly don't see how you would be able to criticize the deal. Any winger who's a great skater and penalty killer and can score 20 goals is a key player on any team, and easily worth $4 million in today's NHL.

Meanwhile, if the guy scores 10 goals the rest of this season, contact flexibility will be the last thing on the team's mind. Plus, they'd still have to find a replacement for Perron anyway; and as I said above, I'm skeptical they could find anyone with Hagelin's tools for the same money.

I can honestly see both of your pov here on this one, and I'm not even trying to be diplomatic....
Perron has been pure junk this season and he's had plenty of opportunity to play with the top dogs on the Pens. 4 goals and a -13 for a guy that at one time potted 28 and whose history suggests he's a 20 goal guy is pathetic. ..
Hagelin with 4 goals and a -10 is no better, but I at least see him as a more energetic player...I also see a player that has shown more consistency over his short career than Perron.
4 mil is about the going rate for both these guys and I think rather than lose Perron for nothing Rutherford elected to effectively get a similar player long term with perhaps more upside, and for the sake of change to inject some enthusiasm into the lineup...
I'm not sure it smacks of desperation, but it does look to my eyes anyway a GM who knows NOW is the time to make some minor adjustments before prices elevate at the deadline...
The Daley deal a few weeks ago also points to this and imo it looks to be working out in the Pens favor albeit not in the win column. I'd rather see him doing what he can now rather than sitting on his duff and paying astronomical prices at the deadline (a la Winnick last year).
Now that said ....if GMJR cannot see the glaring need for some stand up D and do his best to rectify the situation (I don't care the cap implications he and Botterill are smart enough fellas to get creative), this team is going NOWHERE FAST and his employment with the Pens should be at minimum scrutinized heavily and perhaps terminated, along with a few others....I won't even get into the ownership situation (well maybe just a bit) , but imo those above Rutherford should be feeling some heat...is Mario interfering here perhaps a bit much in terms of what type of team he wants to see? I seem to remember that was the chatter from some talking heads a few months ago...

Big Buf is on the block for the right price I have no doubt...is there a way to sign /trade for him? The Jets cannot afford him period and he's going to command term and $$$...is there a number that makes sense? Although I'm not too enamored with the idea of a rental, I would also consider It depending on the price...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Picks in the Kessel deal were conditional, and I think in this manner:

--If Pens make the playoffs this year, Leafs get the Pens #1 in 2016 while the Pens get a Leafs #2 (the pick they received from PIT in the Daniel Winnick trade) in 2016.

--If Pens miss the playoffs this season, Leafs get the Pens #1 in 2017 while the Pens get the Leafs #2 in 2017.

--If Pens miss the playoffs in 2016 & 2017, Leafs get the Pens #2 in 2017 and the Pens get no draft pick from the Leafs.

ADDENDUM -- INTERESTING TO SEE THE MAJOR ASSETS EXCHANGED IN THE NY/ANAHEIM DEAL LAST SUMMER.......EMERSON ETEM AND CARL HAGELIN......HAVE BEEN TRADED WITHIN A WEEK OF ONE ANOTHER.
Ah ha! Thanks for providing the proper breakdown on the deal CM...apparently I was listening to my Leaves buddies a bit to much with their idiotic banter about the recent trades etc...no worries. ...I reminded them that they have made the playoffs ONCE in ten years...that still shuts the lot of them up quite effectively. ...:smiley:

Just booked my hotel, and bought 9 seats for a group of us heading down to Buffalo on Feb 21st Pens/Sabres game gents! It's an afternoon matchup (I am starting to get used to these lol...VERY hard to find an afternoon game up here in Canada), attending with a couple Sens fans a few Leafs fans, a couple Sabres fans and of course 2 Pens fans! Pretty jacked up for this one, and hoping this game is meaningful toward climbing the playoff ranks!

That 3rd goal was a beaut! And just barely legal...need to see more of this!

I myself was shocked that goal counted; to my eyes, Sid moved that front foot more than enough to view it as a kicking motion. But we get the call, so that OK by me.

Anyway, nice to have a laugher for once.......unfortunately, the chore will be FAR more difficult tomorrow night in St Louis. Here's hoping Flower doesn't have any lingering problem coming off that leg shot he took.

As soon as that goal was scored, I called the kick. Just shocked they allowed it. But the pens were due for A break.

I've thought that the Pens have been playing pretty well for a few weeks but not getting the result simply because they can't get the puck behind the keeper. The last two games, the puck is starting to go in. But on que, Geno appears to be in one of his brain-dead funks. Maybe when/if the entire team gets going in the same direction they can grab 20 points in a dozen games and get back into the top 8.

As soon as that goal was scored, I called the kick. Just shocked they allowed it. But the pens were due for A break.

I've thought that the Pens have been playing pretty well for a few weeks but not getting the result simply because they can't get the puck behind the keeper. The last two games, the puck is starting to go in. But on que, Geno appears to be in one of his brain-dead funks. Maybe when/if the entire team gets going in the same direction they can grab 20 points in a dozen games and get back into the top 8.

You're not kidding about that, OM; Geno remains among the most puzzling players in the business, regarding his ability.....by several magnitudes.....to be the most dominant player the game, and at others to be totally lost with the mental composure of a goon (without the ability to fight, of course).

Happily, the Pens are currently only a point outside the wild card; though a total of five teams are within 2 points of the Canadiens (Pens have 2 games in hand) and the Bruins. Fortunately, nobody in the current WC group.....including the Bruins and Canadiens......is playing all that well.

If anyone in the WC race wins four in a row, that would represent a big move; not sure the Pens are playing quite well enough for that to happen, but if they can at least find a way to start (as was the case yesterday) scoring first, their chances are much better. It also helps their divisional schedule is beginning to pick up concurrent with the fact they're playing at least close to their best hockey of the season right now.

But, yesterday aside, keeping Letang in the lineup is one of their most important factors in making a move up the standings.

ADDITION: I GUESS IT'S NO SURPRISE THAT PERRON SCORED A GOAL IN HIS FIRST GAME WITH ANAHEIM......WHICH I ALSO ASSUME WILL BEGIN HIS STREAK OF 8 GOALS IN THE NEXT 12 GAMES :middlefinger:

Last edited:
With Clendening traded......Warshofsky's new injury......and Letang's questionable status......Pouliot has been recalled, and may (though this is not as yet confirmed) play tonight in STL.

Idiotic and hopefully baseless rumor of the day...Cox (credibility in question here)- Leafs Polak being chatted about for a 2nd or 3rd rounder....here's hoping this is nothing but pure conjecture. This guy is slow and a #6 at BEST on a good team....I want no part of Leaf shit peddling at this current juncture....

Idiotic and hopefully baseless rumor of the day...Cox (credibility in question here)- Leafs Polak being chatted about for a 2nd or 3rd rounder....here's hoping this is nothing but pure conjecture. This guy is slow and a #6 at BEST on a good team....I want no part of Leaf shit peddling at this current juncture....

For whatever this is worth......and it ain't much.....Eklund is talking today about Polak to San Jose and Boston (with the Oil in 3rd). Meanwhile, he's still talking about Eric Staal to the Pens (and now the Islanders).

Meanwhille, listen to this statistic that I just heard on NHLN Radio; in their last 21 games, Montreal is 4-16-1 (of course, they began the season winning 9 in a row)

Absolutely Idiot play by Zatkoff; if you're going to leave the crease and try to beat opposing forward to the puck up the slot, you damned well better be committed......and also be ready to totally give up your body and dive on top of the puck. I actually turned into a Zatkoff fan two years ago, and had confident in his ability as a backup coming into this season.

But man, he's sure found a lot of ways to piss me off (like in this case) thus far in 2015-16.

For whatever this is worth......and it ain't much.....Eklund is talking today about Polak to San Jose and Boston (with the Oil in 3rd). Meanwhile, he's still talking about Eric Staal to the Pens (and now the Islanders).

Meanwhille, listen to this statistic that I just heard on NHLN Radio; in their last 21 games, Montreal is 4-16-1 (of course, they began the season winning 9 in a row)
Isn't that something!?!...funny you had mentioned this...it is painfully obvious how much they miss Price, he and to a lessor extent Subban is their team! I heard McLean on the radio here the other day mentioning one team where todays analytics fixation means nothing?......the Devils. Schneider it sure appears is their team as well...without him they'd be lost, and nowhere near a playoff spot!

Absolutely Idiot play by Zatkoff; if you're going to leave the crease and try to beat opposing forward to the puck up the slot, you damned well better be committed......and also be ready to totally give up your body and dive on top of the puck. I actually turned into a Zatkoff fan two years ago, and had confident in his ability as a backup coming into this season.

But man, he's sure found a lot of ways to piss me off (like in this case) thus far in 2015-16.
You beat me to it...I was like ....Jeff WTF?!?! POKE CHECK, DIVE ON IT, anything but pirouette's out in the middle of the ice!!!! Arrggh...

On a side 'note' I have really always loved the look of the Blues jerseys, especially with the 2 shades of blue in them now , rather than with the ridiculous looking red mixed in there back in the 80's-90's...and I suppose since we in the east get to see them rarely I'm noticing it tonight...I would LOVE to see the league return to the home whites of years ago...would give hometown fans a better look at some of the more well done and colorful jerseys...

Geno! From Hagelin! Good stuff....keep hammering away at em boys!

Yikes...that was quick...Tarasenko...damn.

Well....plain to see that after a pretty good first half they simply ran out of gas...and that last 2 minutes was a microcosm of a penchant this team has had for quite some time imo...too much perimeter play!!!
Anyway back home to face off vs a red hot Cryers team and then what should be a very winnable afternoon game with a Canucks squad at the end of a very long road swing....

Fairly colossal collapse last night, even given the fact it was Jeff Zatkoff in the cage.

Of course, it's no shock the Pens lost; given their sheer size and exceptional talent level, the Blues are probably one of their two or three toughest physical match-ups in the entire League. But I was encouraged with the first two periods, and frankly didn't expect them to run out of gas quite so completely. Maybe Flower makes a couple of saves JZ couldn't and keeps them in the game, but who really knows.

Regarding the Tarasenko goal to tie it up, am I the ONLY one who thought it was less a great play than it was Lovejoy's weak defensive effort ?? Seems to me BL had the angle and could have driven Tarasenko right into the corner IF he'd have played it aggressively; which would have been the smart play with VT clearly taking the puck to the goal. Maybe something like that draws an interference call, but it's better than just giving VT his lane to the crease.

But to my eyes, he played Tarasenko soft and just gave him the lane to the net. I think Geno made a FAR more impressive play in blowing away Bouwmeester; a defenseman a fair distance higher up the food chain than Lovejoy.

Fairly colossal collapse last night, even given the fact it was Jeff Zatkoff in the cage.

Of course, it's no shock the Pens lost; given their sheer size and exceptional talent level, the Blues are probably one of their two or three toughest physical match-ups in the entire League. But I was encouraged with the first two periods, and frankly didn't expect them to run out of gas quite so completely. Maybe Flower makes a couple of saves JZ couldn't and keeps them in the game, but who really knows.

Regarding the Tarasenko goal to tie it up, am I the ONLY one who thought it was less a great play than it was Lovejoy's weak defensive effort ?? Seems to me BL had the angle and could have driven Tarasenko right into the corner IF he'd have played it aggressively; which would have been the smart play with VT clearly taking the puck to the goal. Maybe something like that draws an interference call, but it's better than just giving VT his lane to the crease.

But to my eyes, he played Tarasenko soft and just gave him the lane to the net. I think Geno made a FAR more impressive play in blowing away Bouwmeester; a defenseman a fair distance higher up the food chain than Lovejoy.
Agreed...and I'm thinking it's also got something to do with Mr. Lovejoy thinking about the goal his team just scored rather than what's coming at HIM in that particular moment. ...oops!

...I would LOVE to see the league return to the home whites of years ago...would give hometown fans a better look at some of the more well done and colorful jerseys....

I'm 1000% with you on the home whites, t; granted it was a different time with different teams and entirely different dynamic, but probably the most memorable aspect of the first two NHL games I saw in Pittsburgh as a kid......versus the Big Bad Bruins, and then the Flying Frenchmen.......were their road unis.

The Bruins jet black made them look like the absolute baddest-ass team in the friggin' universe.....and that was aside Orr and Espo.......while the Canadiens red just basically just burned out everyone's optic nerves when they came out.....without regard to the fact they had Pocket Rocket, the Road Runner, Flower, Lapointe, Robinson, and all the other greats.

IMO, going to home darks was one of the single biggest mistakes the League has made in my 45 years of watching the game.......I find myself thinking the Pens current alternate black (the Mario/Jags Cup-winning black) would have much the same effect on the road with Sid and Geno wearing it..

Reactions: torontoeers
CM...my buddy is out tomorrow eve at the 'Robbie Burns Dinner' ?at his golf club put on by his golf pal Healy...he's at a table with Friedman ( whom I know you and I have a genuine respect for and trust) and Craig Simpson/ Scott Oake...any question you may want answered? Seriously. ..help me out here ...I've got about a dozen but nothing is jumping to the TOP of my list...

Friedman was on Boomer Gordon's show this afternoon, and he was taking about Montreal's problems, and he was saying they're not only about the absence of Carey Price. He believes there may be Room problems between Subban and Pacioretty; first time I've ever heard THAT one......ask him about that. Also, see what they think about Perron for Hagelin and his contract.

Meantime, I got a long overdue job offer today......and I'm currently awaiting a response to my salary counterproposal. I bring this up ONLY because of my prospective boss's last name........HEALY (Bill, not Glenn) !!!!!!;

Friedman was on Boomer Gordon's show this afternoon, and he was taking about Montreal's problems, and he was saying they're not only about the absence of Carey Price. He believes there may be Room problems between Subban and Pacioretty; first time I've ever heard THAT one......ask him about that. Also, see what they think about Perron for Hagelin and his contract.

Meantime, I got a long overdue job offer today......and I'm currently awaiting a response to my salary counterproposal. I bring this up ONLY because of my prospective boss's last name........HEALY (Bill, not Glenn) !!!!!!;
Lol! Amazing! Good luck with the proposal...and that is a good one re: Subban/Pacioretty! Who doesn't like talking about the Habs issues after all?!? And I too am curious for an off record opinion on the Hagelin deal contract...consider the query in for discussion lol...

Take this one as you will but as per 'a source'...GMJR is hot on Byfuglien and has been since before the Daley deal. On the table are Pouliott , Kunitz, and a conditional pick if he signs with Pittsburgh....I would say do it if they can re-sign him...could be heavy cap trouble down the road however (not sure how much term is left on Kunitz?)...Buf wants 6-8 years from what I hear and with the way he plays I'd estimate about 3-4 years of real productivity out of him.....what do ya think? He changes the complexion on the back end quite nicely imo....

Interesting news about Big Buff; no question he'd bring a dynamic to the team that doesn't exist anywhere in the entire organization, and certainly help make them a much more viable competitor while Sid and Geno still have some legs left. I also think the deal you mentioned would be one I could get behind; if nothing else, it'd be an indicator they're looking to cut their losses on Pouliot.

I assume Winnipeg will be forced to accept the fact they have to provide a trade partner some additional cap relief (like Kunitz) to make a deal happen. But I'd honestly think Cheveldayoff could make better deal than this one if they moved him to a team where DB actually wants to sign (and who'll probably get.....or at least be looking for.....a minimum $7 million/season).

I do find myself wondering, though, if DB's agent is actually chasing something approaching Subban money ($9 million cap hit). If so, I think Winnipeg will have a lot of trouble making a deal with anyone. But you gotta' figure the Flyers would get rid of most anyone on the team save Giroux and the Gostisbehere kid (and possibly Simmonds and Vorachek) to get an honest shot at Byfuglien.

But back to the Pens for a minute; assuming they can make a deal Winnipeg will accept, I find myself thinking it'll pretty much force GMJR to move one of their current big contracts (in a separate deal which will have to be managed concurrently). And assuming one of them won't be for Sid or Geno, that leaves Kessel or Letang.

On paper, I guess I figure Letang is probably more marketable.....at least right now......but who knows how negatively his concussion history affects that. Also, if they move Pouliot, that would seem to re-establish Letang as their long-term back end puck mover (which was always the point with the big contract he signed).

OTOH, there are no fewer than two current Cup challengers......Nashville and Montreal......who are downright desperate for goal scorers. Unfortunately, the Preds are a budget team, and have already made the big Johansen deal. As for the Habs, I question whether Kessel.....given the way he's been hammered in the NHL media the past 6 months......would be welcomed there by either their media or their fan base.

Interesting news about Big Buff; no question he'd bring a dynamic to the team that doesn't exist anywhere in the entire organization, and certainly help make them a much more viable competitor while Sid and Geno still have some legs left. I also think the deal you mentioned would be one I could get behind; if nothing else, it'd be an indicator they're looking to cut their losses on Pouliot.

I assume Winnipeg will be forced to accept the fact they have to provide a trade partner some additional cap relief (like Kunitz) to make a deal happen. But I'd honestly think Cheveldayoff could make better deal than this one if they moved him to a team where DB actually wants to sign (and who'll probably get.....or at least be looking for.....a minimum $7 million/season).

I do find myself wondering, though, if DB's agent is actually chasing something approaching Subban money ($9 million cap hit). If so, I think Winnipeg will have a lot of trouble making a deal with anyone. But you gotta' figure the Flyers would get rid of most anyone on the team save Giroux and the Gostisbehere kid (and possibly Simmonds and Vorachek) to get an honest shot at Byfuglien.

But back to the Pens for a minute; assuming they can make a deal Winnipeg will accept, I find myself thinking it'll pretty much force GMJR to move one of their current big contracts (in a separate deal which will have to be managed concurrently). And assuming one of them won't be for Sid or Geno, that leaves Kessel or Letang.

On paper, I guess I figure Letang is probably more marketable.....at least right now......but who knows how negatively his concussion history affects that. Also, if they move Pouliot, that would seem to re-establish Letang as their long-term back end puck mover (which was always the point with the big contract he signed).

OTOH, there are no fewer than two current Cup challengers......Nashville and Montreal......who are downright desperate for goal scorers. Unfortunately, the Preds are a budget team, and have already made the big Johansen deal. As for the Habs, I question whether Kessel.....given the way he's been hammered in the NHL media the past 6 months......would be welcomed there by either their media or their fan base.
Just listening to Hockey Central at Noon on my local radio Kypreos (idiot), MacLean, and Millard...there is a new site out there if you haven't heard of that replaces the old Capgeek site? Apparently quite a few actual GM'S reference it and the overwhelming majority of teams are finding it beneficial in helping the site out with up to date numbers...anyway site is http://www.generalfanager.com
Clever name lol...

Philly could well be in the hunt as well as you say...he'd fit their style and needs for certain...I should actually check that site after and see how up against it they are too. I think they retained a fair amount of salary on the recent deal with LA...
Kessel would be a very viable option to go the other way re: Big Buf, so long as GMJR is willing to effectively admit he made a mistake in bringing Phil onboard? And even I am not ready to chalk it up as an error yet...I think seeing Kessel over a full season at least would give us a better idea, and how his efforts translate into playoff failure or success...I do know one thing ,1 goal in the last 10, 12 on the year (projected to 22), 2 pp markers, isn't going to cut it for his salary and ice time imo.
Would Phil embrace a move back to tge north , not sure? I suppose it would get him somewhat closer to home Wisconsin being in that division, if that were even a minor factor...

I definitely see Buf asking for 9 , but maybe accepting 7 over a longer term, I'd be curious to know if he'd accept anything heavily front loaded but I'm not sure exactly how the rules have changed since the league tweaked the rules in reaction to that Kovalchuk contract craziness?

From what I'm hearing Pouliot still seems to be a somewhat coveted commodity for a few teams, which quite frankly shocks the hell outta me, and perhaps yourself....if the Pens can aquire good value ie: cap relief ,a badly needed draft pick re-stock, or a player in a package of Buf's ability for him I say DO IT!

Btw I haven't forgotten about your post in prev thread about the 'sponsorship' of Junior teams by NHL clubs way back...I'll shoot a msg over there later with a couple interesting links and facts I managed to dig up...pretty cool stuff...

Just listening to Hockey Central at Noon on my local radio Kypreos (idiot), MacLean, and Millard...there is a new site out there if you haven't heard of that replaces the old Capgeek site? Apparently quite a few actual GM'S reference it and the overwhelming majority of teams are finding it beneficial in helping the site out with up to date numbers...anyway site is http://www.generalfanager.com
Clever name lol...

Philly could well be in the hunt as well as you say...he'd fit their style and needs for certain...I should actually check that site after and see how up against it they are too. I think they retained a fair amount of salary on the recent deal with LA...
Kessel would be a very viable option to go the other way re: Big Buf, so long as GMJR is willing to effectively admit he made a mistake in bringing Phil onboard? And even I am not ready to chalk it up as an error yet...I think seeing Kessel over a full season at least would give us a better idea, and how his efforts translate into playoff failure or success...I do know one thing ,1 goal in the last 10, 12 on the year (projected to 22), 2 pp markers, isn't going to cut it for his salary and ice time imo.
Would Phil embrace a move back to tge north , not sure? I suppose it would get him somewhat closer to home Wisconsin being in that division, if that were even a minor factor...

I definitely see Buf asking for 9 , but maybe accepting 7 over a longer term, I'd be curious to know if he'd accept anything heavily front loaded but I'm not sure exactly how the rules have changed since the league tweaked the rules in reaction to that Kovalchuk contract craziness?

From what I'm hearing Pouliot still seems to be a somewhat coveted commodity for a few teams, which quite frankly shocks the hell outta me, and perhaps yourself....if the Pens can aquire good value ie: cap relief ,a badly needed draft pick re-stock, or a player in a package of Buf's ability for him I say DO IT!

Btw I haven't forgotten about your post in prev thread about the 'sponsorship' of Junior teams by NHL clubs way back...I'll shoot a msg over there later with a couple interesting links and facts I managed to dig up...pretty cool stuff...

No question that Buff signs something fairly front-loaded; but it's the seasonal average over the deal's term which matters. I mean, if somebody offers him a 7 year/$60 million deal......which to me would be high (and he'd be a lunatic to turn down)......it's an $8.5 million cap hit even if they pay him at the rate of 10/10/10/8/8/6/6/2.

Meanwhile, I hadn't heard of that new website.....though, at first glance, it looks pretty good. I've been using nhlnumbers.com (since capgeek dissolved) which seems to work OK, though it is a little harder to decipher than this new one. I think I'll start using this new site now (and thanks for bringing it to my attention).

Meanwhile, I'm not disagreeing with your overall assessment of Kessel; especially that its probably too early to call it a bust (though the League media is sure enjoying his lack of production). Unfortunately, we both know it's those lousy numbers which short-circuit his marketability. Looks like he's got a modified NTC clause; obviously the Leafs took advantage of it with the trade to Pittsburgh. but that means he is movable (if not as easily as we might like).

As for Pouliot, he must be one of those players with whom some are enamored because of his Draft position (and who perhaps feel the Pens have just used all wrong). But it's clear even Sullivan wasn't breaking his ass to get DP up to the big club; it's hard not to wonder if he isn't starting to get (or has had) an attitude problem.

Oh Kevin Stevens where are you? Recchi where are you?...Mario, Ulfie, Ronnie...where are all of you? As old as I am it seems :cry:....it's nights like tonight that leave me longing for those days....

And btw guys, yip yapping at them does NOTHING! If there is any pushback it has to happen on the scoreboard....Mason is not Patrick Roy by a long shot...FIRE IT AT HIM!

Um...just like THAT! A seeing eye shot by Sid short side...man that was precision!
These hits to Letang are REALLY starting to add up...concerning to say the least...

And Phil? Phil Kessel is that you??? Wow he looked relieved to pot that one! Let's hope he goes on one of his tears here down the stretch....when he scores it is in BUNCHES!

Last edited:
Um...just like THAT! A seeing eye shot by Sid short side...man that was precision!
These hits to Letang are REALLY starting to add up...concerning to say the least...

And Phil? Phil Kessel is that you??? Wow he looked relieved to pot that one! Let's hope he goes on one of his tears here down the stretch....when he scores it is in BUNCHES!

Whaddya' know.......Kessel hits an open net not once but TWICE !!!! Oh, and I guess I'm glad I didn't join this game until 8pm (beginning of the 2nd period).

WOW! How did Schenn miss that pass with 2 seconds left! Thank goodness! There is NOTHING more satisfying than beating the asshat Cryers in comeback fashion imo...feels fantastic!

Like 'em or not, when the Cryers have things going their way, they're an extremely difficult team to defend against. I wouldn't have thought the game would have been that much in the balance at the end; but it's a great win at a good time nevertheless. But man, Cryers were 3 for 6 on the PP; you just can't commit penalties against them.

I read this morning that Sully apparently gave Kessel the word he wasn't working hard enough, especially on the PP. I guess Sully felt he was spending too much time roaming around at the top of the circle rather than going to the net when the puck was deep. Of course, what happened last night when Kessel finally starts crashing the net ?? Guess somebody knows what's going on out there.

Pens alone in 3rd in the WC race right now......obviously, things can change dramatically in one single night. But I like them ahead of those other 5 teams rather than behind (or in the middle).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT