ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 1/1-1/15

I think that's a good and logical offering; do you happen to know if these scholies are applicable only to Canada universities, or can they be used in US (or other foreign) schools ??

Sticking with the CHL (a designation I'd never before heard, but now presume must exist.....if for no other reason.....to sponsor of the Memorial Cup) for a moment, if the Canadiens owned (and I do use this term figuratively rather than literally) the Petes.......and the Bruins owned the Gens.....and the Rangers owned Kitchener......who owned the 67's in those days (was it the Leafs, or maybe the Wings) ?? Also, may I assume each of the Original Six "owned" teams in the Q and W as well ??

Also, I always thought the Marlies were a Junior organization; I was honestly shocked to learn they're actually a minor league team (and that it was the Marlboros who were in the O). Until now, I always assumed the Marlboros were simply being called the Marlies, much as the Penguins are referred to as the Pens).

Back to the pros, Pens at an improving Tampa tonight; too bad they didn't have the TBL on the schedule earlier in the season when they were playing so meh (especially since the Pens are historically pretty good against them). Bonino is now out for a month; will be interesting to see how they do with Fehr moving up to center the 3rd line; I guess I'd be surprised if there was any real drop-off since Bonino hasn't found the net all season

Meanwhile, now that we're well into the New Year, we're finally going to start seeing their key division rivalries begin to heat up; Cryers next Thursday while the Craps and Devils follow on the 26th and 28th respectively. And speaking of divisional "rivalries", it'd be nice to see the Pens find a way to finally beat the friggin' Canes on Sunday; I myself am getting a little PO'd at their inability to beat a team.....who's admittedly playing much better this season than it has for some time.....they frankly should still beat more often than they lose.
Sorry for delay on this CM but ...check these links out! Some real good stuff in here...those 'TPT' Petes referenced by one blogger are the same franchise as in existence today...the team actually brought out a third jersey a couple years back and...it was in Bleu , Blanc, et Rouge not surprisingly!
The one that had my eyes popping out of my head was the fact that the Habs had a whopping 13 sponsored franchises with the next closest having 6 or 7? I guess that would lend to explaining a whole bunch of those cup wins...they had a massive amount of control over the minors by that count!!!
http://historicalhockey.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-sponsorship-system-pre-expansion.html?m=1

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=97520281

Sorry for delay on this CM but ...check these links out! Some real good stuff in here...those 'TPT' Petes referenced by one blogger are the same franchise as in existence today...the team actually brought out a third jersey a couple years back and...it was in Bleu , Blanc, et Rouge not surprisingly!
The one that had my eyes popping out of my head was the fact that the Habs had a whopping 13 sponsored franchises with the next closest having 6 or 7? I guess that would lend to explaining a whole bunch of those cup wins...they had a massive amount of control over the minors by that count!!!
http://historicalhockey.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-sponsorship-system-pre-expansion.html?m=1

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=97520281

Some fascinating......and obscure.....shit in there; I'm going to have to read through this a few times to help it sink in. But it's certainly no surprise to what extent the Habs controlled the Juniors; stands to reason how they ended up with so many great players (and hence, so many Cups). I'm surprised to see how comparatively weak the Leafs were from that standpoint; makes me wonder if Montreal viewed Toronto as a cow town in those days.

As for last night, nice performance for 2 periods......while Flower played tall for all three. Kind of a shame they're in the middle of their best streak of the season with a 7-day break in the offiing. I know Sid will enjoy the time off, and I wish Letang had one as well. But Kunitz (and hopefully Bennett) will be back strong in a week, and they pick up where they left off last night. Hell, even Hagelin is getting some fair coverage out of Toronto; they've been having fun up until now with the stories out of Anaheim claiming NY fans insisted he was no better than a 3rd liner (and that he was no better than a 4th liner with the Ducks).

Meanwhile, I liked your comments about the Habs continued meltdown. You know, they're in danger of not even making the playoffs with so many teams in the mix. One of these days, Price will be back, but I'm one who doesn't think goaltending is the root of their problems (though you have to figure Price will steal some games most goaltenders won't). You can tell how much the English-speaking press in Toronto is enjoying their problems, and it's no wonder a Civil War has been underway for so many years between between the Quebecois and the Anglos.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT