ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 1/1-1/15

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Islanders put Johnny Boychuk on IR after suffering a UBI (probably a shoulder or collarbone) last night. Very nice timing with the Isles coming to Pittsburgh tomorrow night.......first good news of the New Year for the Pens (and everyone else in the East, with the possible exception of Jack Capuano). As for the Pens, no word yet on availability for tomorrow night of either Flower or Ian Cole (though both reportedly want to play). Meanwhile, current smart money is that Murray will return to WB/S when Flower is cleared to play.

Oh, and not that anyone asked, but I didn't watch a single second of the Winter Classic game (or the broadcast in general) today......had absolutely zero interest in seeing (or listening to) NBC non-stop fellate the Bruins (or Canadiens, for that matter). Of course, the day automatically improves just a bit anytime the Bruins (or Red Sox, or Notre Dame) get embarrassed.

Guess Tom Brady didn't show up at Gillette Stadium this afternoon......

Last edited:
I did not tune in either...the whole winter classic thing seems a BIG marketing ploy to this guy...the first one was a novel idea...the second and 3rd were ok...I haven't honestly watched an outdoor game since the Pittsburgh/ Buffalo one which seems quite a while ago now?....The ND/ Ohio St game was mildly amusing for a bit, and I started watching the Rose till it was about 21 zip...Damn that McCaffrey kid is good!....

I watched quite a bit of WC. Bowl games yesterday sucked! I enjoyed watching Bruins get beat. Also Toronto-due to your post of a couple of weeks ago and the intermission report about his charity work, I have removed P.K. Subban from my list of three players I dislike most. Not sure who I will replace him with. Maybe I will just put Ovechkin on the list twice. BTW, off the ice Subban dresses like a 1970's Detroit pimp. You're too young to remember this, but in the 1970's the Steelers had a RB named "Frenchy" Fuqua who dresses like that. He had a pair of high-heeled platform shoes that had live goldfish in the transparent heels.

Looks like Flower will NOT play tonight.......guess I assume it'll be Matt Murray in the net......and he's now targeting Tuesday's game versus the Black Hawks to returm. And still NO update on Ian Cole (who I suppose not too many folks are really dying to see right now anyway.

Meanwhile, I just read a DK retrospective piece from January 2015 following a game versus the Cryers. It brought to mind that the Pens top 6 defense ONE year ago.....alphabetically, and if I'm not mistaken.....was Despres, Ehrhoff, Letang, Maatta, Martin, and Scuderi (with Bortuzzo and Pouliot in reserve).

No matter how you slice it.....and regardless of the individual reason(s) for the changes.....that's borderline unbelievable turnover in a single calendar year.

I did not tune in either...the whole winter classic thing seems a BIG marketing ploy to this guy...the first one was a novel idea...the second and 3rd were ok...I haven't honestly watched an outdoor game since the Pittsburgh/ Buffalo one which seems quite a while ago now?....The ND/ Ohio St game was mildly amusing for a bit, and I started watching the Rose till it was about 21 zip...Damn that McCaffrey kid is good!....

I watched essentially zero football yesterday, as I'm planning (aside the time I'm posting here :wink:) for an interview on Monday. Meanwhile, I couldn't agree with you more about McCaffrey; he's an incredibly impressive player. How the kid seems to find so much open field when he's got the ball in his hands is hard to believe.

Looks like Flower will NOT play tonight.......guess I assume it'll be Matt Murray in the net......and he's now targeting Tuesday's game versus the Black Hawks to returm. And still NO update on Ian Cole (who I suppose not too many folks are really dying to see right now anyway.

Well, forget EVERYTHING I posted earlier.......Fleury WILL start tonight, and Cole evidently WILL dress as well.

Meanwhile, the Islanders are apparently going with Thomas Greiss in goal tonight rather than old Penguins nemesis Jaro Halak (who apparently has been on IR, but could theoretically play if the Isles wanted.....or needed to.....remove him from the IR list). Greiss has apparently been the Isles' best backup goaltender this year in at least a full generation; so it's no surprise he's getting the call. Of course, this is about the time his excellent backup play started falling off the side of the earth last season. Maybe he keeps up his great play here in 2016, though, given the better quality of the Isles' defense.

Still, after joining the Islanders at the beginning of the season, Greiss was publically critical of the home crowds during his season in Pittsburgh (in comparison to those in NY). Not sure how much the team knows.....or cares......about that, but it certainly wouldn't bother me in the least to see the Pens unleash 40+ tonight at TG.

Really he was? Wtf? Cause we expect results? I agree pot several on him...and good news re: Flower....not sure if you CM or any of the others caught the pre game on SN HNIC tonight but they had a 'special montage' of all the Kessel media issues from last year...and we're saying how much more united the Leaf locker room was this year....not sure this is entirely fair seeing as Kessel was about the only one of any significance to throw a mic in front of other than their IDIOT captain...It was painfully obvious to see how Phil hates the spotlight...well he better get off the schnide soon or the mic's will be in his face again in the near future...

Of course in saying this previous (my edit feature on this phone is acting up), I did not see the boxscore from the Wings game...is he off the schnide???

Of course in saying this previous (my edit feature on this phone is acting up), I did not see the boxscore from the Wings game...is he off the schnide???
Well...a happy adjustment...YES Phil is off the schnide!!! 1-0!
Sid is having himself a night...heatin up....

Last edited:
Really he was? Wtf? Cause we expect results? I agree pot several on him...and good news re: Flower....not sure if you CM or any of the others caught the pre game on SN HNIC tonight but they had a 'special montage' of all the Kessel media issues from last year...and we're saying how much more united the Leaf locker room was this year....not sure this is entirely fair seeing as Kessel was about the only one of any significance to throw a mic in front of other than their IDIOT captain...It was painfully obvious to see how Phil hates the spotlight...well he better get off the schnide soon or the mic's will be in his face again in the near future...

I did see it, and the intention of this kind of reporting in Toronto is obvious in a fairly blatant way......
  • There's a new Sheriff in town; he's doing it his way, and everyone is buying-in
  • The majority of last season's problems were focused solely on Kessel (which must be the case, because he's essentially the only key guy who was moved)
  • Most of Canada is pre-conditioned to despise Kessel; and trading him to the team those same folks hate more than anyone else makes him the absolute perfect whipping boy.....and getting rid of him was the best thing the franchise could have done
In my estimation, that pretty much covers it......meanwhile, 4-0 Pens on the Cullen short-hander; say good night, Tommy Greiss.......

Hawks at Pens tonight, Pens at Hawks tomorrow night......schedule-maker could have given us a home and home with, say Carolina or Ottawa instead. Anyway, Pens obviously coming in on their best roll of the season, and probably feeling better about themselves at any time thus far. Sounds like even Sid has gotten re-engaged with the team Unfortunately, the Hawks have won 7 of their last 8; but if they had to play back-to-backers versus Chicago at any time this year, it's beginning tonight.

Perhaps the most interesting single aspect of the next two games is whether Scuderi dresses for either. Coming off the deal, Scuds played 15 minutes in his first (I think) game; then his PT immediately started dropping in the next several consecutive games to under 10 minutes/game......and he's now been a healthy (I think) scratch the past few games. Sounds like it only took Quenneville about 10 days to realize Scuds really can't skate anymore.

I also hope MAF brings a game similar to that he brought versus the Islanders on Saturday night.....

Well....I'm not gonna let that OT influence my opinion of that game...well maybe just a bit lol...
Another very solid effort all around imo, moving the puck very well vs a damn good defensive team. I know one thing, Sully has adjusted the lines quite nicely and I would not change them except for the odd injury /scratch etc. Sid and Malkin looked good, and I thought the D did not look terrible, and MAF once he got back in the cage from earlier :wink: was a game saver late, and certainly in OT....
One complaint, and I know it seems I'm always on him (perhaps I am)...Kessel...If you are completely gassed (which he always looks on the bench any time I see him), try to get into better shape, or at minimum get the heck to the bench at the most critical part of the game 3 on 3!!!!...

Hopefully they can steal one back tomorrow night.....

Also...although I'm sure he'll enjoy the time away...you fellas think the all star exclusion will further ignite the fire under Sid's ass? I would think it should....

I'll take Mcguire over Mike Milbury.
Lol....that is a tough decision. If I had to flip a coin I'd probably pick Milbury (can't believe I said that...yikes) only because he knows a volume level other than 10+....both of them certainly LOVE to hear their own voice....

McGuire -'well good for Toews to stick up for his teammate Panarin'??? Really Pierre? Since the poor fella suffered a clean bodycheck in a hockey game? F'n fool....

Yep one thing that drives me absolutely berzerko is the 'hey you hit my teammate cleanly lets fight' nonsense that imo only appeared over the last 10 years or so...

Reactions: Euell and COOL MAN
I didn't see it, but did somebody.....Kunitz, I assume (or maybe Plotnikov).....finally decide to make Panarin pay in some small manner for the 7 goals :confused: it seems like he scored (and for all the open ice he was granted) the past two nights ??

I find myself wondering if Pierre would be groaning similarly if a renown cement head like, say, Matt Martin was the guy out there running at good players (like Martin was doing versus the Pens last Saturday night). Of course, there is the sweetheart relationship the national media has with the entire Black Hawks organization; so it's really no surprise he'd be running to their "defense".

As for broadcasters we like and dislike, I myself don't like ANY of them these days after the Pens lose......and worse, when they're badly outplayed as was the case last night......because that's when the media's disregard/sheer dislike for anything Penguins just flows like so much El Nino-created mud from the hills in SoCal.

Just fantastic. ...It's an NBC feed...I get to listen to Mcguire all night....I'm grabbing my ear plugs from the van....

Obviously, you quickly realized last night's telecast was an NBC Sports Network production (and not that of either team). Do you guys have NBCSN on your cable systems, or was their broadcast fed to your market via Center Ice (I assume it's the latter) ??

I ask because it didn't occur to me that you might be forced to deal with McGuire, and I'm well aware (from our past discussions) how you feel about him [roll]

Oh, and to a non-Pens subject for a moment; what do you guys think of the Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones deal ?? I'm not as sold on Johansen as the generalized hockey media seems (or wants) to be; of course, that may be due to my proximity to Columbus. But I myself love the basic man-for-man structure of the deal (which we all know has become almost unheard of these days).

I guess I'm thinking there's a touch more risk for Nashville, perhaps mostly because loud-mouth Tortorella largely made RJ the scapegoat for most of the team's problems. OTOH, I admit I don't know ton about Jones other than the fact he was a lower (relatively speaking) pairing guy on a team with some of the best depth in the League. And it's obvious the Preds didn't view him as untouchable; pretty unusual for a high-pick (especially on defense) not that long ago.

Of course, you usually have to give to get......at least as long as Phil Kessel isn't the main subject......so this is what happens. Regardless who wins.....and both may end up extremely happy.....I find this a very intriguing deal. I also wonder if Laviolette will immediately put James Neil with Johansen on a new "top" line.

Oh, and to a non-Pens subject for a moment; what do you guys think of the Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones deal ?? I'm not as sold on Johansen as the generalized hockey media seems (or wants) to be; of course, that may be due to my proximity to Columbus. But I myself love the basic man-for-man structure of the deal (which we all know has become almost unheard of these days).

I guess I'm thinking there's a touch more risk for Nashville, perhaps mostly because loud-mouth Tortorella largely made RJ the scapegoat for most of the team's problems. OTOH, I admit I don't know ton about Jones other than the fact he was a lower (relatively speaking) pairing guy on a team with some of the best depth in the League. And it's obvious the Preds didn't view him as untouchable; pretty unusual for a high-pick (especially on defense) not that long ago.

Of course, you usually have to give to get......at least as long as Phil Kessel isn't the main subject......so this is what happens. Regardless who wins.....and both may end up extremely happy.....I find this a very intriguing deal. I also wonder if Laviolette will immediately put James Neil with Johansen on a new "top" line.
I agree with this assessment. ...imo the deal on the whole smacks of Torts requests for HIS needs, which I think is perhaps a dangerous way to run your team if a GM...players will fall out of favor quicker with a coach than a GM, if you base it on the fact a coaches lifespan is often much shorter than the GM...especially when considering Torts case history.
On the other end I see a guy like Poile feeling a bit more pressure to win NOW...I think he feels he has finally found the power centre he's been searching for one heck of a long time! The Nashville D is still fairly strong, so if Johansen can improve even slightly under Laviolette both attitude and on ice I see the Preds winning this deal in the end....just my take...I'm going to listen to the talking heads on way home....I'm curious how they feel...the structure of the deal which certainly is minimal I do like....

Also makes me think of the Seguin deal...they couldn't wait to get rid of him, he had to go...something tells me the B's regret that deal NOW.....

Pens one of 5 hot on the trail of Drouin ( Bob McKenzie)? Not sure how wise this would be seeing as we need D! And what would we have to offer at this point? My bet would be Colorado...Roy would love to partner him with McKinnon again (linemates in the Q), and they would have the prospects to offer...although upon thinking here ....maybe Stevie Y needs immediate help NOW?

One other thing I heard today on way home that struck me...the Jones contract scenario is slightly better than Johansen one by 2 years I think? That likely factored in for Columbus significantly...In today's cap era every year counts...and the 2 or 3 analysts I heard said it was a toss up, to be decided several years down road...I still wonder just how much Torts had to do with it...

Oh and Jones was selected right after Drouin in the draft at 4 (which he actually fell from the 2 rank which Nashville happily gobbled up)...so...what does that make the 3 pick Drouin worth via trade??? A solid D man is more coveted than a talented forward imo...interesting....

I'm not sure what an apparently-disappointing Drouin delivers to the Pens. I might feel differently about him......as would the Lightning, presumably......if he were 6-2 210 rather than 5-11 190. Still, we know GMJR likes to deal as much as anyone in the League, and nobody currently likes forwards more.

But I myself don't see how he changes things all that much for the Pens, while costing them what few other assets they still have. Unless Tampa happens to be interested in Kessel, this isn't any kind of derby I myself see the Pens involved in regardless what McKenzie.....who's admittedly got a little more credibility than Eklund :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:..... is thinking.

ADDITION: I JUST READ DREGER'S PIECE ON TSN.CA THAT GMJR MAY BE TRYING TO PIECE TOGETHER SOMETHING BY THE TRADE DEADLINE FOR A TOP 4 D-MAN AND A DEPTH FORWARD (??). NOT SURE IF HE AND MCKENZIE ARE ACTUALLY SINGING FROM THE SAME SONG BOOK

Meanwhile, I see Montreal moved Dustin Tokarski to Anaheim for some (IMO) bottom 6-type fringe kid. Still not sure what DT did to wear out his welcome so badly that they committed instead to Scrivens instead.

Last edited:
One other thing I heard today on way home that struck me...the Jones contract scenario is slightly better than Johansen one by 2 years I think? That likely factored in for Columbus significantly...In today's cap era every year counts...and the 2 or 3 analysts I heard said it was a toss up, to be decided several years down road...I still wonder just how much Torts had to do with it...

Oh and Jones was selected right after Drouin in the draft at 4 (which he actually fell from the 2 rank which Nashville happily gobbled up)...so...what does that make the 3 pick Drouin worth via trade??? A solid D man is more coveted than a talented forward imo...interesting....

Oh, I distinctly remember when Jones was thought to be more than just marginally in play as the #1 pick, and I recall a decent number of scribes who thought Colorado made a mistake taking MacKinnon instead. I also distinctly remember how those same scribes were borderline incredulous that Jones could fall to an already defense-rich organization like Nashville at #4.

I also know Drouin was highly thought-of, and I don't recall Tampa being taken all that seriously to the woodshed for picking him rather than Jones. Of course, Florida was called out for having taken Barkov (rather then the available North Americans) at #2......though I think most will (perhaps reluctantly) concede he's been the best pick of that year's Top 5 thus far.

Last edited:
Changing the subject from trades and potential trades just for a moment..... I think the two games against the Hawks really highlighted the "old hands" of the Pens. In the 2nd game, both Perron and Kunitz had amazing chances and failed to get a shot on the net. Cool Man as you have noted, the failure to hold passes, keep the puck in the zone, and generally control the puck seem to be lacking from 1/2 of the team. The Hawks just handled the puck more cleanly and crisply in both games. Cullen in game 1 had a sure 2 on 1 with Sid and somehow missed the pass. The Lovejoy turnover for the empty net goal in game 2 was amazingly poor. How Kunitz missed the scoring the tying goal in game 2 ...I'll never know.

Just as we saw early in the season, the play of MAF is masking a whole lot of age and skill issues with this Pens team.

Changing the subject from trades and potential trades just for a moment..... I think the two games against the Hawks really highlighted the "old hands" of the Pens. In the 2nd game, both Perron and Kunitz had amazing chances and failed to get a shot on the net. Cool Man as you have noted, the failure to hold passes, keep the puck in the zone, and generally control the puck seem to be lacking from 1/2 of the team. The Hawks just handled the puck more cleanly and crisply in both games. Cullen in game 1 had a sure 2 on 1 with Sid and somehow missed the pass. The Lovejoy turnover for the empty net goal in game 2 was amazingly poor. How Kunitz missed the scoring the tying goal in game 2 ...I'll never know.

Just as we saw early in the season, the play of MAF is masking a whole lot of age and skill issues with this Pens team.

I honestly think we Pens fans still tend to overrate how good they are based on Sid and Geno in the starting lineup. While I think the Pens are actually a decent (if hardly exceptional) skating team, 60 minutes versus an elite......and motivated, as was the case on WED......group like the Hawks really puts the team in its proper perspective. Of course, as good as the Hawks are, they're not going to play like that every night; and conversely, let's be equally honest the Pens were the (at least) marginally better team on TUE in Pittsburgh even in losing.

But what the rematch showed is what the Pens (and most everyone else in the League) are up against if they consider themselves......and let's face it, few beyond their Room feel that way.....legitimate Cup contenders. The Hawks absolutely smothered them; the Pens had a helluva time simply getting the puck into the attacking zone, let alone making legitimate scoring plays. And against good opposition like Chicago and Dallas......and the Craps and Rangers and Canadiens.....they're going to need to take advantage of most every opportunity; unfortunately, they've been about as non-opportunistic as anyone in the business in 2015-16.

But you're sure right about how many ills Flower is covering up; which we all know has been largely the case from Day 1. Coming off the concussion, I myself was shocked as to how sharp he was in is first 3 games back in the lineup. Assuming he ends up playing 90-95% of the rest of the schedule.......and he'll have to, unless they shock everyone with some kind of 7-in-a-row streak in the next month to lock themselves into a playoff position.....he's likely to be pretty beat-up by the first of April.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I wish they had Beau Bennett (who still doesn't sound even close to being ready to return to the lineup).

Indeed having Bennett back would be nice at this point...
OM1 I concur re: that Lovejoy gaffe the other night, man that was just downright confusing? !?....
At least it is clearly evident that Daley has good mobility, and would skate Scuds into the ground. I look forward to seeing more of him and how he fits in down the stretch...
This one tonight is a MUST vs a badly struggling Habs team imo...unfortunately I wont see it as I'm off to see my Petes (who started out gangbusters but are on a big skid) vs Hamilton ...I look forward to hearing what you all thought about what is hopefully a (for the most part) continued strong effort this eve....

Oh and one other thing...I have not heard who is between the pipes for the Habs...I'm hoping Condon gets the nod. I'd rather they slot the regular guy who's been average at best in there instead of the guy who's been recently traded for Scrivens...I'm wary of the new guy standing on his head simply due to a new job locale!

Last edited:
From DK's afternoon report regarding tonight's game, here's their guess on the Pens lineup.....

Chris Kunitz-Sidney Crosby-David Perron

Matt Cullen-Evgeni Malkin-Phil Kessel

Kevin Porter-Eric Fehr-Patric Hornqvist

Tom Kuhnhackl-Nick Bonino-Bryan Rust

Olli Maatta-Kris Letang

Brian Dumoulin-Ben Lovejoy

Trevor Daley-Ian Cole

Marc-Andre Fleury

Check out that 4th line from a team thought to be very deep at forward......I realize they're continuing to miss Bennett, but jeezus. Meanwhile, Cullen has been pretty good recently, so I have no problem with him moving up to the #2 line. I also see the experiment a week or so ago with Kessel on the 3rd line.away from Sid and Geno has come and gone. Not sure exactly what Perron has done to earn a slot on the top line, especially since even he admits he's gripping the stick these days.

Then there's Hornqvist.....who obviously still isn't scoring very much......but seems (to my eyes) to have been playing about as well the last 2 weeks as we've seen all year. He's been positively tattooing his ass to the opposing goaltender's logo the past few games, and has all kinds of defenders taking runs at him. So, he's rewarded with a drop to the 3rd line; guess Sully is assessing his game a little differently than yours truly. Finally, I'm starting to wonder if the team is slowly......veeeerrrry slowly......running out of patience with Plotnikov.

DK made no guess as to who'll be in goal for Montreal, but Eklund's site is saying it's Condon; coming off a 1 GA performance versus the Devils the other night, that's who I'd have guessed. One piece of good news for the Pens is that Jeff Petry is evidently out tonight; the second Saturday in a row where the opponent was missing one of it's better defensemen (though Subban is obviously playing).

Just trying to figure how I'm going to watch the last two periods while the Steelers are playing the hometown Bengals here in Cincinnati in the wild card round of the NFL playoffs :weary:

And against good opposition like Chicago and Dallas......and the Craps and Rangers and Canadiens.....they're going to need to take advantage of most every opportunity; unfortunately, they've been about as non-opportunistic as anyone in the business in 2015-16.

Kessel doesn't just miss an open net on the early PP......he doesn't even scare the cage. I realize that kind of thing happens; but I'd be honestly pissed if Kuhnhackl missed a net that friggin' wide open (and that badly). Just the latest example of arguably the least-opportunistic team in the League thus far this season.

Are any of you bothered in any manner that Sid didn't get the ASG invite ?? None of you asked me, but I certainly don't......in fact, the few days off will probably do him far more good than going down to Nashville to get booed.

Also t, what did the Petes do on Saturday ?? Reading about your going to the game got me to thinking about the OMJHL in general, and I spent a little while banging around websites. I was interested to go through the Petes' historic roster......very cool they have such a listing......and I had no idea Chris Pronger and both Staal brothers each played there; and borderline shockingly, none of them ever wore the C. I also saw Mickey Redmond played there years ago, along with your good buddy, Zack Kassian (guess you're more intimately familiar with him than I realized).

Meanwhile, I've gotten the impression that London (in particular) and Windsor are consistently, year-in-and-year-out, the best organizations in the O; while I believe Erie has joined them recently at the top due mostly, I assume, to McDavid (and his aftermath). I also feel like Sarnia and Barrie have become more well-known to outsiders like myself the past few seasons, whereas years ago I'd never even heard of the organizations.

Somehow the Gens, 67's, and Petes strike me as the most long-term/historic (or at least most familiar) organizations to me. I believe you said Oshawa is the Petes' biggest rival, and I assume not much love is lost between the two organizations (and fan bases). Speaking of Kassian.....and your other good pal, Boone Jenner......I was wondering how much they went at one another in the O. As ZK appears to be the better part of 3 years older, I assume the answer is not too much.

A shame.....too bad those two couldn't have rammed one another's heads into a goal post and put them each out of everyone's misery.

Eklund is back at it this morning, claiming he heard Scotty Hartnell's name attached to the Pens this weekend.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind Hartnell on the Pens; he can still play, and Lord knows he delivers "qualities" the team doesn't currently possess. Of course, it would have to be a salary for salary deal.....and the only player with an even remotely-comparable cap hit/term is Hornqvist. Gonna' have to think about a deal like that for awhile; from a productivity standpoint, Hartnell has the better numbers, while Hornqvist is 5 years younger.

I don't think this deal happens; but it's light years more logical than Cam Fowler or Eric Staal.

Are any of you bothered in any manner that Sid didn't get the ASG invite ?? None of you asked me, but I certainly don't......in fact, the few days off will probably do him far more good than going down to Nashville to get booed.

Also t, what did the Petes do on Saturday ?? Reading about your going to the game got me to thinking about the OMJHL in general, and I spent a little while banging around websites. I was interested to go through the Petes' historic roster......very cool they have such a listing......and I had no idea Chris Pronger and both Staal brothers each played there; and borderline shockingly, none of them ever wore the C. I also saw Mickey Redmond played there years ago, along with your good buddy, Zack Kassian (guess you're more intimately familiar with him than I realized).

Meanwhile, I've gotten the impression that London (in particular) and Windsor are consistently, year-in-and-year-out, the best organizations in the O; while I believe Erie has joined them recently at the top due mostly, I assume, to McDavid (and his aftermath). I also feel like Sarnia and Barrie have become more well-known to outsiders like myself the past few seasons, whereas years ago I'd never even heard of the organizations.

Somehow the Gens, 67's, and Petes strike me as the most long-term/historic (or at least most familiar) organizations to me. I believe you said Oshawa is the Petes' biggest rival, and I assume not much love is lost between the two organizations (and fan bases). Speaking of Kassian.....and your other good pal, Boone Jenner......I was wondering how much they went at one another in the O. As ZK appears to be the better part of 3 years older, I assume the answer is not too much.

A shame.....too bad those two couldn't have rammed one another's heads into a goal post and put them each out of everyone's misery.
I will say it sure is odd that Sid is not a part of the All Star lineup but does it bother me...no. Although he's heated up of late thankfully his numbers were downright abysmal in Oct/Nov....and yep the time off should work wonders for him....

Without doubt London is the monster of the OHL, followed closely by Oshawa (currently in a rebuilding mode after that Mem Cup), Kitchener, Ottawa, and Windsor....Erie certainly is the class of the American based teams, Saginaw has never really managed to put any consistency together and Plymouth (essentially Detroit) has marched down the road to Flint. I think it's no co-incidence that the overwhelming majority of the powerhouse teams have facilities that seat between 6-8000 and are usually close to capacity most nights. Compare that to the Petes renovated old barn that sits 4000 and is usually 3/4 capacity and that's quite a difference. A consortium came to Peterborough 3 years ago offering to purchase the team (it is currently still community owned), and build a state of the art 6000 seat arena. The debate was a passionate one and the team sale was rejected....'they'say the Petes /Generals rivalry is one of the biggest in all of hockey, I think it's still a great one but was huge back in the 80's/90's. One thing will NEVER change , I HATE the Gens more than any other team in any sport. I live smack dab middle between Peterborough and Oshawa, and I'm probably outnumbered by Gens fans 4 to 1? Which makes life with my neighbours fun lol...

I'm unsure if the Petes still own the distinction of graduating the most players to the NHL? If they do I'm pretty sure some team will catch them soon...perhaps London...as I say the Hunter clan has built a monster there....
Those names are something else eh? There are banners all over the arena celebrating all the past greats. Bowman, Roger Neilson, Colin Campbell in coaching. And yes Pronger, Stevie Y, Larry Murphy, The Staal bros , Redmond, Begosia....I could go on for hours happily!
To say I was overjoyed when Jordan Staal became a Pen would be an understatement. ...however I understood when they had to trade him at the time...he was my fave Pete all time.

I dont recall Asshat Kassian engaging with Asshat Jenner really and it may be that age difference you mention...

Oh one other thing you may or may not know....The Petes were essentially the Canadiens farm team of youth back in the day and the Generals the Bruins! Both NHL clubs had ownership interests in these 2...50's and 60's from what I remember?

7-2 Petes the other night...they can score it's the D that needs work...how familiar lol....anyway enough ramblings from me for now....

Reactions: COOL MAN
I will say it sure is odd that Sid is not a part of the All Star lineup but does it bother me...no. Although he's heated up of late thankfully his numbers were downright abysmal in Oct/Nov....and yep the time off should work wonders for him....

Without doubt London is the monster of the OHL, followed closely by Oshawa (currently in a rebuilding mode after that Mem Cup), Kitchener, Ottawa, and Windsor....Erie certainly is the class of the American based teams, Saginaw has never really managed to put any consistency together and Plymouth (essentially Detroit) has marched down the road to Flint. I think it's no co-incidence that the overwhelming majority of the powerhouse teams have facilities that seat between 6-8000 and are usually close to capacity most nights. Compare that to the Petes renovated old barn that sits 4000 and is usually 3/4 capacity and that's quite a difference. A consortium came to Peterborough 3 years ago offering to purchase the team (it is currently still community owned), and build a state of the art 6000 seat arena. The debate was a passionate one and the team sale was rejected....'they'say the Petes /Generals rivalry is one of the biggest in all of hockey, I think it's still a great one but was huge back in the 80's/90's. One thing will NEVER change , I HATE the Gens more than any other team in any sport. I live smack dab middle between Peterborough and Oshawa, and I'm probably outnumbered by Gens fans 4 to 1? Which makes life with my neighbours fun lol...

I'm unsure if the Petes still own the distinction of graduating the most players to the NHL? If they do I'm pretty sure some team will catch them soon...perhaps London...as I say the Hunter clan has built a monster there....
Those names are something else eh? There are banners all over the arena celebrating all the past greats. Bowman, Roger Neilson, Colin Campbell in coaching. And yes Pronger, Stevie Y, Larry Murphy, The Staal bros , Redmond, Begosia....I could go on for hours happily!
To say I was overjoyed when Jordan Staal became a Pen would be an understatement. ...however I understood when they had to trade him at the time...he was my fave Pete all time.

I dont recall Asshat Kassian engaging with Asshat Jenner really and it may be that age difference you mention...

Oh one other thing you may or may not know....The Petes were essentially the Canadiens farm team of youth back in the day and the Generals the Bruins! Both NHL clubs had ownership interests in these 2...50's and 60's from what I remember?

7-2 Petes the other night...they can score it's the D that needs work...how familiar lol....anyway enough ramblings from me for now....

Man, I loved this post......

I'm far more interested in the O (and to a lesser extent, the Q and W) than ever before since the Draft.....and hence, the Major Juniors.....has become a pretty common topic of discussion on NHLN Radio. And exchanges with you give me perspective I'd otherwise never have.

I did see that Zach Bogosian was a Petes alum, but missed the fact that Larry Murphy was as well (only a small handful of players ever in the League with a better NHL resume than his). I'm familiar with the Kitchener name (Rangers, right ??) but I honestly couldn't name a single NHL'er from there off the top of my head.....though I'm sure I'm familiar with plenty of them.

I also didn't know the Petes more or less "belonged" to the Canadiens.....though I assume all their great French players came from the Q. But the Oshawa connection to the Bruins makes sense, as I believe that's where Bobby Orr played as a Junior. BTW, I also forgot that's where Lindros played; that's reason enough alone to despise the Gens. Also, does that mean Kitchener belonged in those days to the NY Rangers ??

I've often wondered how the Major Juniors drew; I thought I've heard in the past that London draws upwards of 10K/game (not sure the exact number). With all the news over the past few years about the Hunter interests owning the Knights, I guess I assumed all the teams were "privately" owned these days. But as a municipally owned organization, are the Petes now the exception or the rule in the O ??

One more question for now......and I don't mean for this to sound stupid......but the players in the O (and Q and W) are paid-to-play and under formal contract, right ?? Not sure what most uninformed (probably the best description for yours truly) Americans know or think about the Major Juniors......and while US college players obviously are not paid, they're playing under full scholarship.......but I have no clue what a typical kid earns.

I also assume money remains the main reason why a majority of top NA (and foreign) players still come from the Juniors rather than the colleges (who I guess are now attracting most of the US kids). Presumably, Conner McDavid was easily the highest paid player in the O (and perhaps in all the Juniors) last season, but I have no clue how much......do you ??

Reactions: torontoeers
Man, I loved this post......

I'm far more interested in the O (and to a lesser extent, the Q and W) than ever before since the Draft.....and hence, the Major Juniors.....has become a pretty common topic of discussion on NHLN Radio. And exchanges with you give me perspective I'd otherwise never have.

I did see that Zach Bogosian was a Petes alum, but missed the fact that Larry Murphy was as well (only a small handful of players ever in the League with a better NHL resume than his). I'm familiar with the Kitchener name (Rangers, right ??) but I honestly couldn't name a single NHL'er from there off the top of my head.....though I'm sure I'm familiar with plenty of them.

I also didn't know the Petes more or less "belonged" to the Canadiens.....though I assume all their great French players came from the Q. But the Oshawa connection to the Bruins makes sense, as I believe that's where Bobby Orr played as a Junior. BTW, I also forgot that's where Lindros played; that's reason enough alone to despise the Gens. Also, does that mean Kitchener belonged in those days to the NY Rangers ??

I've often wondered how the Major Juniors drew; I thought I've heard in the past that London draws upwards of 10K/game (not sure the exact number). With all the news over the past few years about the Hunter interests owning the Knights, I guess I assumed all the teams were "privately" owned these days. But as a municipally owned organization, are the Petes now the exception or the rule in the O ??

One more question for now......and I don't mean for this to sound stupid......but the players in the O (and Q and W) are paid-to-play and under formal contract, right ?? Not sure what most uninformed (probably the best description for yours truly) Americans know or think about the Major Juniors......and while US college players obviously are not paid, they're playing under full scholarship.......but I have no clue what a typical kid earns.

I also assume money remains the main reason why a majority of top NA (and foreign) players still come from the Juniors rather than the colleges (who I guess are now attracting most of the US kids). Presumably, Conner McDavid was easily the highest paid player in the O (and perhaps in all the Juniors) last season, but I have no clue how much......do you ??
Well I enjoy chatting Junior Hockey as much as I do Pens and Mountaineers so I'm more than happy to ramble on CM....lol...
All CHL players are indeed paid somewhere between $350-500 per week. And all teams have a salary cap I think in the range of 10-12 thou per week? I assume a guy like McDavid would be at the highest end of the scale, which really isnt that far off the player earning the lower end number...
One thing the league has done in more recent years is offer a full scholarship to colleges/universiies cross country to any player who commits to the league and maintains a certain gpa. I believe they can even take advantage of this a few years after they leave their junior club,...another thing you may or may not know of is that a small number of players lawyered up and attempted to start a union, claiming the weekly stipend was unfair. This has been quashed due to Canadian labor laws (I believe you need to be 18 yo to be a union member here, and since the leagues age range is 16-21 it was dismissed), but I look for this to make an appearance again at some point down the road...
Indeed imo the Petes , Gens, and 67's would be the most historical teams...along with those Kitchener Rangers, who indeed were sponsored by the big NHL club! The Rangers are actually publicly owned still today, whereas my Petes are community owned...I'm gonna have to research the difference on this one, or perhaps you may know the difference in this dynamic CM?

You mentioned The Sarnia Sting team (Stamkos)...I was actually born in Toronto and moved to Sarnia from 76-87 with family (Dad was in the oil business), at that time the biggest team in town was the Junior 'B' league Sarnia Bees, I remember attending several games at the old (2500 seat) Sarnia Arena. I also played a few games in that same arena as a youth lol...I assume today's Sting team name is a play on the original 'Bees', and I think the arena now seats around 4500....

Link to CHL scholarship info below
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...R6IGzcDDxl0LBqRNA&sig2=TfAwrRNKBRqcBHkOtaf0zA

Reactions: COOL MAN
Well I enjoy chatting Junior Hockey as much as I do Pens and Mountaineers so I'm more than happy to ramble on CM....lol...
All CHL players are indeed paid somewhere between $350-500 per week. And all teams have a salary cap I think in the range of 10-12 thou per week? I assume a guy like McDavid would be at the highest end of the scale, which really isnt that far off the player earning the lower end number...
One thing the league has done in more recent years is offer a full scholarship to colleges/universiies cross country to any player who commits to the league and maintains a certain gpa. I believe they can even take advantage of this a few years after they leave their junior club,...another thing you may or may not know of is that a small number of players lawyered up and attempted to start a union, claiming the weekly stipend was unfair. This has been quashed due to Canadian labor laws (I believe you need to be 18 yo to be a union member here, and since the leagues age range is 16-21 it was dismissed), but I look for this to make an appearance again at some point down the road...

I think that's a good and logical offering; do you happen to know if these scholies are applicable only to Canada universities, or can they be used in US (or other foreign) schools ??

Sticking with the CHL (a designation I'd never before heard, but now presume must exist.....if for no other reason.....to sponsor of the Memorial Cup) for a moment, if the Canadiens owned (and I do use this term figuratively rather than literally) the Petes.......and the Bruins owned the Gens.....and the Rangers owned Kitchener......who owned the 67's in those days (was it the Leafs, or maybe the Wings) ?? Also, may I assume each of the Original Six "owned" teams in the Q and W as well ??

Also, I always thought the Marlies were a Junior organization; I was honestly shocked to learn they're actually a minor league team (and that it was the Marlboros who were in the O). Until now, I always assumed the Marlboros were simply being called the Marlies, much as the Penguins are referred to as the Pens).

Back to the pros, Pens at an improving Tampa tonight; too bad they didn't have the TBL on the schedule earlier in the season when they were playing so meh (especially since the Pens are historically pretty good against them). Bonino is now out for a month; will be interesting to see how they do with Fehr moving up to center the 3rd line; I guess I'd be surprised if there was any real drop-off since Bonino hasn't found the net all season

Meanwhile, now that we're well into the New Year, we're finally going to start seeing their key division rivalries begin to heat up; Cryers next Thursday while the Craps and Devils follow on the 26th and 28th respectively. And speaking of divisional "rivalries", it'd be nice to see the Pens find a way to finally beat the friggin' Canes on Sunday; I myself am getting a little PO'd at their inability to beat a team.....who's admittedly playing much better this season than it has for some time.....they frankly should still beat more often than they lose.

Well a better effort in the second half of first than the beginning....this Bolts broadcast team actually doesn't seem too bad (not sure the feed the rest of you have)...I know one thing...the Root Sports hometown broadcast could use a girl like 'Michelle' reporting from the stands! Very easy on the eyes...[thumbsup]

I'll try and be short and to the point...OT losses are for losers period. Enough is enough of this shit...I'd be firmly in favor of tearing this team limb from limb if I didn't think this group was one SOLID D man from competing amongst the top of conference....if anyone thinks they will compete against either the Craps or Rangers come playoff time they are kidding themselves....and that is a big IF they make the playoffs...
Another thing I've been reminded of the last week or two...if the Pens make the playoff (lets face it, this would be a 7-8 seed at best, only to get whipped by the top dogs) they owe the bloody Leafs their draft pick from the Kessel trade....NO THANKS! I'd rather miss and keep it!!!!! What a cluster fu€k this could end up this year...if so GMJR should have a bullseye on his back...I'm running out of excuses for him....

And yeah I thought the majority of the team put in an effort ...although the refs did their level best in the second to even things up. Did any of you fellas think those were all legit penalties? I counted at least 2 real weak calls...especially the one on Fehr to go to a 5 on 3 and.........scores!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT