ADVERTISEMENT

Penn state

WV Bruno

All-Conference
Dec 10, 2015
They are a 21 point early favorite. I thought they would be around 6. What am I missing?

They are a 21 point early favorite. I thought they would be around 6. What am I missing?
I thought they would be around 14.

Perhaps missing a defense and...

PSU 38 WVU 15 - 2023

PSU HAS A NEW DC

Six starters from the 2023 Penn State defense have entered the 2024 NFL Draft. Three of Penn State’s six noteworthy transfer portal additions play defense. And both starting defensive tackles will use extra years of eligibility in 2024.

Offense
Same QB, who wasn't stellar but kicked WVU ass and duo RB gives the Nittany Lions one of the best pair of running backs in the nation.

WR

Julian Fleming (transfer from OSU), Trey Wallace, KeAndre Lambert-Smith

info from a PSU web site.

Mainly a 3 TD favorite because of 23 point win last year and WVU inability to beat a ranked team.

Look for the spread to get closer as bets come in on WVU and the points.

Last edited:
Likely the same as much of the fanbase. We return a lot of the same talent and coaching that got smacked by Penn State last year. I hope for better, but don’t see it happening under Brown.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Likely the same as much of the fanbase. We return a lot of the same talent and coaching that got smacked by Penn State last year. I hope for better, but don’t see it happening under Brown.
I have never been delusional about WVU. WVU has never been one to win the big games. There have been some but not many. Teams are going to be ready for Greene this year. No more than 8 wins. Seven more than likely.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
!
I have never been delusional about WVU. WVU has never been one to win the big games. There have been some but not many. Teams are going to be ready for Greene this year. No more than 8 wins. Seven more than likely.
If he doesn't win 8 they should fire him. But it's not my call.

Reactions: tarponeer2003
!

If he doesn't win 8 they should fire him. But it's not my call.
They extended him. They know it's not as attractive as a job as 20 years ago. Recruiting is a nightmare. They are already pimping this schedule as being much more difficult to cover for a possible mediocre season.

I agree, 7 is likely. 6 may even be realistic.

We acquired a lot better talent too.

Why isn't that being factored in?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
"Teams are going to be ready for Greene this year."

...and Greene should be a lot better passer this year, which will open up a whole lot of things.

Why isn't that being talked about?

using occam's razor to put total blame on coaches for wins and losses is a mindless exercise

Reactions: WVUBRU
We acquired a lot better talent too.

Why isn't that being factored in?
That is a fair point, but also a fair counterpoint would be that I don’t anticipate the number of teams on our schedule this upcoming season to be down again. I don’t think 6 or 7 wins would be a disappointment myself. I just have a feeling it’s well below the average fans expectation.

I don't understand this negativity.

WVU is set up to be a lot better team than last year.
we now have a competitive NIL entity in place....we lost five starters on defense to other programs..WVU coaches were having to recruit and retain players with one hand tied behind their backs...you can believe what you want..I believe that Neal Brown is a very good coach..he defeated Nebraska and LSU at Troy something WVU has never done..BTW LSU was ranked when Troy beat them @ LSU

Last edited:
They extended him. They know it's not as attractive as a job as 20 years ago. Recruiting is a nightmare. They are already pimping this schedule as being much more difficult to cover for a possible mediocre season.
so I guess we should drop the football program

Was hearing several predictions like this last year (and even some fewer than 6). And, we ended up winning 9. So what is actually realistic?

Last year at least 4 of our opponents were far worse than anyone expected them to be. None of our 8 regular season wins were against a team better than 6-6.

Reactions: WV Bruno
All teams travel the same. Travel is an excuse. Being good and winning takes care of that.
I think travel hurts teams with little depth. WVU has to travel a little further than most. Big 12 coaches have openly expressed how much they hate the trip to Morgantown.

NIL says different. Realistic no longer exist in college sports. You're being paid then perform or get out. The 8 wins should always be the minimum.
you're arguing with yourself..if another program lures away players with more money there's nothing the coaches can do.... players never even speak to the coaches about entering the portal, they just notify the compliance office

you're arguing with yourself..if another program lures away players with more money there's nothing the coaches can do.... players never even speak to the coaches about entering the portal, they just notify the compliance office
It's really an effed up ordeal.

No. I think we as fans need to be more realistic.
We won't really know until the season gets going as teams are sometimes better or worse than billed when looking at the schedule in the offseason. Fact is that had 2023 WVU football played the same caliber Big 12 schedule as 2019, 2020, 2021, or 2022 WVU football did, then 6 wins or worse is the most likely outcome last year. And that bowl win against UNC without Drake Maye means as much as Syracuse whipping us in 2018 without Will Grier. The hope is that you can create a program that, based upon historical averages of the teams in the conference, you can say averages 8 wins a year and thus expect around that going into any given season.

I think PSU probably wins the game but i see them winning by 7-10 points. I think WVU will be competitive. I would take WVU with the 21 points. When it comes to the season, I think we win between 7-9 games. The schedule appears to be tougher on paper. We will have to see if that's actually the case. Most of the difficult games are at home and outside of the PSU game none of the other teams we face have an overwhelming talent advantage against us.

Tit for tat they steal yours you steal theirs.

Tit for tat they steal yours you steal theirs.
we weren't stealing anyone... Lyons was concerned with NCAA compliance so WVU was late getting to the NIL table..high school recruits were making deals with other schools while WVU didn't even have any for the current players

Reactions: LittleRivEER
we weren't stealing anyone... Lyons was concerned with NCAA compliance so WVU was late getting to the NIL table..high school recruits were making deals with other schools while WVU didn't even have any for the current players
Once again I guess we should scrap the program. Poor ole WVU a day late and a dollar short.

I think PSU probably wins the game but i see them winning by 7-10 points. I think WVU will be competitive. I would take WVU with the 21 points. When it comes to the season, I think we win between 7-9 games. The schedule appears to be tougher on paper. We will have to see if that's actually the case. Most of the difficult games are at home and outside of the PSU game none of the other teams we face have an overwhelming talent advantage against us.
I’m guessing 6 wins. Who knows
Once again I guess we should scrap the program. Poor ole WVU a day late and a dollar short.
He’s not saying to scrap the program.

Reactions: LittleRivEER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT