ADVERTISEMENT

Partcipation bowls for all!

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Cannot believe that the NCAA is about to increase the number of bowl games to 43! There are already teams with 6-6 or losing records getting the extra game....with virtually no attendance. And now, the brilliant minds at the NCAA are adding three more? Of course there will be those who laud the season's results and a birth in a no nothing bowl as proof of the strength of the program. Playing in a bowl game is fast becoming an embarrassment instead of an accomplishment.

This idiotic move by the NCAA will increase the total number of postseason games to 43, including the Playoff National Championship. So now 65% of the teams in the P5 will end up in a bowl no matter how they do in the regular season.

But you got to be excited since one of the new games will be in Chicago, outside, in December!!

Last edited:
Cannot believe that the NCAA is about to increase the number of bowl games to 43! There are already teams with 6-6 or losing records getting the extra game....with virtually no attendance. And now, the brilliant minds at the NCAA are adding three more? Of course their will be those who laud the season's results and a birth in a no nothing bowl as proof of the strength of the program. Playing in a bowl game is fast becoming an embarrassment instead of an accomplishment.

This idiotic move by the NCAA will increase the total number of postseason games to 43, including the Playoff National Championship. So now 65% of the teams in the P5 will end up in a bowl no matter how they do in the regular season.

But you got to be excited since one of the new games will be in Chicago, outside, in December!!
The Pac just passed a rule that you have to have at least six wins to bowl so that's not going to help fill those spots.

It appears that the ACC has a hand in this...at least in two of the games. Getting to the point where just fielding a team gets you an ice cream cone at then end of the season.

It should be a requirement for a minimum 0.667 winning % to go to a bowl. That only means 8-4 & games vs 1-aa schools should not count in the 8-4. Really as a season ticket holder, those games shouldn't be on the schedule IMO.

Outside of NYs Day Bowls and the Chic Fil A Bowl, the attendances are a joke and the ratings are as proportional.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I'm OK with more bowls. What I'm not OK with is sub .500 teams getting into a bowl. If you can't be at least a .500 team, then you shouldn't go to a bowl. If there aren't enough D1 teams with 6 or more W's, then give those slots to FCS teams.

More bowls are a waist of time. Instead of increasing bowls increase the playoffs.

New Years 6 match ups for the playoffs total 12 teams.
Peach
Orange
Fiesta
Rose
Sugar
Cotton

Any other bowls are a nothing but a commercial interest for large corporations. If teams want extra practice weeks then allow all teams to get 3 weeks at the end of the season.

In today's college football bowls mean very little. It's playoffs or squadoosh.

Correct. I used to be opposed to playoffs because I thought it would diminish the regular season. But, at this point, it would be good to see a larger playoff format. Power 5 champs, plus 1 from G5 (top ranked G5), get auto bids. Then, why not use the bowl games as elimination games to qualify for other playoff spots? They start the bowls early enough in December to have them be play-in games for the Playoff. That would give meaning to the bowls and increase revenue.

In today's college football bowls mean very little. It's playoffs or squadoosh.

More bowls are a waist of time. Instead of increasing bowls increase the playoffs.

New Years 6 match ups for the playoffs total 12 teams.
Peach
Orange
Fiesta
Rose
Sugar
Cotton

Any other bowls are a nothing but a commercial interest for large corporations. If teams want extra practice weeks then allow all teams to get 3 weeks at the end of the season.

IMO, only 4 playoff bowls needed. 8 teams ..... 3 weekends.
Any more weeks for playoffs than that will make the season too long.
There will always be programs thinking they are left out of the mix from the last couple slots. But you should at least get the best 6 then 2 of the next 5 or so.
Top 4 is just too small of a number.

Maybe I am old school, but for me even the minor bowls mean something. After all, if minor bowls are meaningless, then how about all the regular season games after your team loses two games? Are they also meaningless?

If I were a coach of a team with, say, a 6-3 record, I would tell the team that if anyone wants to skip the bowl to let the staff know now. That way the backup can get some PT in the three remaining regular season games ahead of the ‘meaningless’ bowl game.

Lgm!

Reactions: GoWVU
IMO, only 4 playoff bowls needed. 8 teams ..... 3 weekends.
Any more weeks for playoffs than that will make the season too long.
There will always be programs thinking they are left out of the mix from the last couple slots. But you should at least get the best 6 then 2 of the next 5 or so.
Top 4 is just too small of a number.

With the elimination of these meaningless bowls the playoffs would start early and be of no difference.

Yes 8 would be good. Even 5 would be better than 4. At least you can get every P5 conference champ in the playoffs. Make it guaranteed if you don't win your conference you don't get in. You could have 4 vs 5 as a wild card type game.

how about all the regular season games after your team loses two games? Are they also meaningless?

with the current "the only thing that counts is the playoff four" mentality, i would say yes they are meaningless. all the rest of the teams other than the "golden four" are looking through the candy store window. pathetic system.

If they would eliminate one third to one half the bowl games, and up minimum record for going, attendance and ratings would be higher at every game. The scam is over with most of the fans. You can only fool the fanbases sooooo many times before the majority realize these games are a ripoff and meaningless as are the stupid patches these games all try and sell.

It's like baseball's 162 games-more is less.

Baseball’s payroll has skyrocketed due to so many games.....

The more bowl games the bigger the cut of overall money each B12 team gets.

If a 5-7 ISU team can make a bowl and pull in 200k of their own.... that’s better than ISUtaking their share and not contributing at all

Why shouldn’t there be more bowls? They mean nothing and generate revenue

Depends on your perspective about the purpose of bowls. If revenue is what you are after, it makes sense. Although not always for the schools as some take a loss. If it's meant to be a prestige thing to reward a team that may not be top 4, but still pretty damn good, then it makes no sense. It's like universities themselves. Made revenue by accepting more students and lowering standards to keep them paying all 4 or more years of tuition. Helped by ease of access to student loans as well. The cost for that revenue is that a bachelor's degree is not as prestigious as it used to be. My opinion on the subject is that bowls are meaningless outside of a handful, but I like the idea of extra practices. That's why I don't care if players who wont be back skip the toilet bowl vs another 6-7 win team. I'd rather the guys who will be back the next year get some meaningful work in.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
NCAA excuse for not expanding the 4-team playoff is that 8 teams would cause too many missed classes. And, then, just a few weeks later, they approve the NCAA basketball tourney which expands the season 3 weeks. Wonder if they would if the tourney was not their big money-maker?

The parity at teams 5-10 is too much.

At most, a 6 team playoff with 1 and 2 getting a week 1 bye is all that should be changed.

Look at the bowl results of the New Years Six games since the Playoffs started... 5 losing 10 6 losing to a 12 or 13. Makes no sense

NCAA excuse for not expanding the 4-team playoff is that 8 teams would cause too many missed classes. And, then, just a few weeks later, they approve the NCAA basketball tourney which expands the season 3 weeks. Wonder if they would if the tourney was not their big money-maker?

The real excuse is they want the title for SEC and Big 10. The rest are tossed in just for kicks and the hope of an upset. Look for Big 10 to get 2 teams in this upcoming playoff to balance out last years 2 SEC teams.

Original ruling was win your conference and the coveted 13th game and your in. This rule apparently does not apply to SEC and Big 10.

This is why 5 teams or 6 teams need to get in. This gives every conference a team in. With 5 teams the 4 and 5 play to get the final slot. Kind of like a wild card game. With 6 you get the 5 in and 1 wild card. As stated above 1 and 2 get a bye. 3 plays 4 and 5 plays 6. The excuse for too many classes missed is bogus.

I liked it better in the old days with less bowls. Too many average team make it to bowl games these days. 30+ something bowl games and only a handful are worth something. I'd like to get back to the days when it meant something to get there. I liked the days when bowls were named after fruits instead of dot com companies and auto part stores.

What the hell, I might as well trot out my idea again.

Four Power conferences, each with two 8-team divisions.
The 8 division winners meet in the 8-team playoff.
Simple. Independents? Get in with the 64 teams. Hell, if you're not among the top 64 teams why should you be in the playoffs anyway. It worked for March Madness. Later, it went to 68.

Why not just make a 13th regular season game from mid-Dec to early-Jan and get rid of bowls? I'm not being serious but rather highlighting how if everyone plays anyway then it's not really a bowl and just another game.

And people say being in a bowl gets you more practices. Yeah, well so does a 13 game regular season. And 14. And 15. Or a two-month spring practice instead of whatever it is now.

I thought these guys were supposed to be students. Cut way back on the bowls. Make the playoff bigger because that's what matters. And here is my big innovation....since these extra practices supposedly help so much and since we supposedly want these kids to go to class, how about the teams that make the playoff get LESS practices the following spring? After all, those kids missed more classes than did the kids on the teams that didn't make bowls.

The kids that don't make bowls can do more studying in Dec-Jan and the kids that do make bowls can do more studying in Mar-Apr, when the other teams are having spring practice.

Why not just make a 13th regular season game from mid-Dec to early-Jan and get rid of bowls? I'm not being serious but rather highlighting how if everyone plays anyway then it's not really a bowl and just another game.

And people say being in a bowl gets you more practices. Yeah, well so does a 13 game regular season. And 14. And 15. Or a two-month spring practice instead of whatever it is now.

I thought these guys were supposed to be students. Cut way back on the bowls. Make the playoff bigger because that's what matters. And here is my big innovation....since these extra practices supposedly help so much and since we supposedly want these kids to go to class, how about the teams that make the playoff get LESS practices the following spring? After all, those kids missed more classes than did the kids on the teams that didn't make bowls.

The kids that don't make bowls can do more studying in Dec-Jan and the kids that do make bowls can do more studying in Mar-Apr, when the other teams are having spring practice.

There are teams that don't make the bowls?

I don’t understand how supposed football fans would not want more football

Okay, how about this. Let's take all the NFL and college football off TV and replace it with 24/7 televised high school football every single day of the year. Thus, we have way more football than we do now. Is that better?

Oh good. We fast forwarded to where posters flail all the way to extremes

Well it's the logical extension of always wanting more football, isn't it?

Also, maybe I just don't love college football as much as I should, but although I love college football, a bowl game between 6-6 Cal and 5-7 Illinois in the middle of December just doesn't do much for me given that there are a couple dozen other better bowls coming up and plus there are a million other things to do/see/watch/listen to.

I mean, it's not like expected-to-be crappy Cal and Illinois teams playing in September when we've been deprived of football for many months and hope springs eternal and maybe Cal and/or Illinois will turn out to be good.

Yes, I don’t. Especially when looking at it from the eyes of fans of those teams
Sometimes you just have to end it.

If watching your 6-6 team play one more game against a 5-7 team in a crappy exhibition bowl game is your thing, then have it.

lol they are all exhibition games unless you make the Playoffs

And that is exactly why more games...in fact almost all games by all but a chosen four...is why the sport is a fake anymore. as I have said before school spirit is teetering on a cliff right along side interest. End all schollies and go back to student athlete concept of DIII.

lol they are all exhibition games unless you make the Playoffs

Are they all created equal in your mind? Were WVU's 3 BCS bowl games on the same level as WVU's last 2 bowl games for you? Would you be equally excited to watch 10-2 SEC team play an 11-2 ACC runner up as watching a 7-5 Big 10 play a 6-6 PAC-12 team? For many of us a game like the 2007 Fiesta bowl, while not the NC championship game, was much more exciting than watching a shoot out against some 6-6 Arizona State squad.

I always thought there was a place for a Toilet Bowl, matching two winless teams. We're getting there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT