ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Goodell Supports Oppressed Millionaire Kneelers

Yep. I don't give a flying f×ck what you or anyone else wears, thinks, believes, etc. As long as you don't impinge on my rights,.have at it.
Sorry to get you all bent out of sorts. Simply aked you a question since you appear to be sooooo concerned about some assholes RIGHTS.

NFL may be setting some things in motion they regret... Thoughts?

My only thought on this is why do we give a shit what professional athletes think about anything other than their sport in this country? Same can be said for actors, musicians and Paris Hilton/Kardashians (whatever the hell they do for a living.) Way too much being made over this little attention grab. It should just be ignored.

Reactions: Lydeck and docteer
My only thought on this is why do we give a shit what professional athletes think about anything other than their sport in this country? Same can be said for actors, musicians and Paris Hilton/Kardashians (whatever the hell they do for a living.) Way too much being made over this little attention grab. It should just be ignored.
Great post. I agree. I really love U2 and The Boss, but I refuse to go to their shows because I don't want to listen to their opinion on the world. I want to hear the hits!

Reactions: OlBlueSuedes56
Damn these players for exercising their first amendment rights to free speech.

No one said that the public couldn't express their opinion. However, why must we assume that these individuals are less American because they do not support your narrow view of what makes someone an "American." If they want to sit down for the national anthem, why can't we just acknowledge their right to free speech. We acknowledge the free speech of those who want to stand for the national anthem...and they do not need to face economic consequences. The fact that so many want to strip athletes of their livelihoods for merely exercising their constitutional rights is disconcerting.

Additionally, why must we assume that the high school football players in Gaithersburg don't completely understand the gravity of their protest? Maybe they completely understand what they are doing and have a differing opinion (relative to your own).

Like Sota (and the VAST majority of the people in this country), you speak from a perceived position of authority on the subject, but don't have any real understanding of 1A, the protections it provides or from whom it protects a person.

Interesting take. Could you please point me to the statute that suspends constitutional rights while at work? Must have missed that one.

Do you understand the First Amendment at all or are you just popping off at the mouth? Here's some help: it only applies to governmental actors and actions. It scares the crap out of me how many intelligent people do not understand even the basics of the Constitution.

Reactions: popmurtha
Great post. I agree. I really love U2 and The Boss, but I refuse to go to their shows because I don't want to listen to their opinion on the world. I want to hear the hits!
Bruce's opinion of the world is in his music... Have you read the lyrics to "Born in the USA?" It's a very political song, and not "rah rah USA" like many politicians use it for.

Bruce's opinion of the world is in his music... Have you read the lyrics to "Born in the USA?" It's a very political song, and not "rah rah USA" like many politicians use it for.
Yes, and I'm fine with the music, I just don't want to hear someone stop playing and talk for minutes on end. I loved Rage Against the Machine, again, I don't want to hear them speak. Play, that's what I'm there for. I used U2 and The Boss but it could apply to Hank Williams Jr or any other Right Wing supporting musician as well. I don't care about their opinions, most of them are absolute morons though they have talent. Anyone who allows the court jester (actors, musicians, celebrity types) to influence their political thinking is an unmitigated moronic ass.

See what's happening - people are talking about whether Kaepernick has a right to kneel...and not about the issue he is trying to put forth. That's why his 'protest' wont amount to anything in regard to the issue.

Do you understand the First Amendment at all or are you just popping off at the mouth? Here's some help: it only applies to governmental actors and actions. It scares the crap out of me how many intelligent people do not understand even the basics of the Constitution.

The First Amendment does indeed prohibit Congress/Government from obstructing the exercise of individual freedoms. As you probably know, it also guarantees the right to believe and practice any religious beliefs, along with the commonly known freedom of speech/expression.

However, despite the specific limitations/prohibitions relative to Government, that amendment along with the Bill of Rights collectively is broader than what you suggest. Civil rights are not conveyed exclusively as a protection against government. You do realize that civil rights actions are brought against non-governmental entities all the time, right?

You also must realize that other protections provided by the constitution (like religion, political affiliation, the right to non-discrimination, etc.) don't suddenly evaporate in the private sector. I may not be a constitutional scholar, but it certainly doesn't appear you are either.

Reactions: wvuphd
Protesting in public (even for a cause I disagree with...in a manner I find revolting) is pretty much one of the things that makes the United States the greatest country in the world.

Sure, they should remember endless number of people/soldiers died so they had that right....we should also remember that endless number of people/soldiers died so they had that right.

This is simply wrong minded.

It has never been the protest that makes us great. It has been the right to protest brought about by the unity we once had to fight.

We are on the decline and this is just another symptom.

See what's happening - people are talking about whether Kaepernick has a right to kneel...and not about the issue he is trying to put forth. That's why his 'protest' wont amount to anything in regard to the issue.

Totally agreed. I said the same thing when people rioted in Ferguson and Baltimore. We are only going to talk about how violence is not going to solve any problems. You need to protest peacefully! Don't you get it?

Then I said the same thing when they stood on roads and bridges and peacefully blocked traffic. We are only going to talk about how you are inconveniencing us! You can't be out here blocking traffic with your peaceful protest. We will run your ass over!

Then when these people started showing up at Trump rallies protesting, I knew that was not going to fly. We didn't come here to listen to you guys bellyache! We want to hear who is going to pay for the wall (MEXICO!). That's not the appropriate place to protest. Get the hell out of there and take a punch on the way out!

Now these people want to sit during the national anthem? Are you out of your ever loving mind? I mean...is that even something they can do? I don't think they have the right to sit during the national anthem, do they?! They need to stand up and appreciate this great country and the people who served in the military and the cops that protect us every day and the first responders and the hotel lobby workers. You know...REAL Americans. Or else...get the hell out of this country. Nobody should have the right to sit during the anthem. Actually I don't know if that's the case or not but here I am wondering and now I have conveniently forgotten the reason they wanted to sit in the first place. Whoops!

These people need to find a totally different way to protest. It needs to be in a way that we don't actually see it. That's basically what it boils down to. Here I thought I hated the protests because they were violent, inconvenient or obnoxious. Turns out it's just because I had to witness it. That was the one thing that was putting me over the edge.

I suggest the proper way to protest would be to submit a change.org petition. Please leave me off the distribution list though, thanks. And dear god I hope you don't cause my internet to lag with your online activity. If my Tomi Lahren videos start stuttering, there is going to be hell to pay!

Reactions: JWBinDC
This thread is getting way off message.......let me help get it back on......Kapernick is an asshole.

Reactions: wvu2007
Totally agreed. I said the same thing when people rioted in Ferguson and Baltimore. We are only going to talk about how violence is not going to solve any problems. You need to protest peacefully! Don't you get it?

Then I said the same thing when they stood on roads and bridges and peacefully blocked traffic. We are only going to talk about how you are inconveniencing us! You can't be out here blocking traffic with your peaceful protest. We will run your ass over!

Then when these people started showing up at Trump rallies protesting, I knew that was not going to fly. We didn't come here to listen to you guys bellyache! We want to hear who is going to pay for the wall (MEXICO!). That's not the appropriate place to protest. Get the hell out of there and take a punch on the way out!

Now these people want to sit during the national anthem? Are you out of your ever loving mind? I mean...is that even something they can do? I don't think they have the right to sit during the national anthem, do they?! They need to stand up and appreciate this great country and the people who served in the military and the cops that protect us every day and the first responders and the hotel lobby workers. You know...REAL Americans. Or else...get the hell out of this country. Nobody should have the right to sit during the anthem. Actually I don't know if that's the case or not but here I am wondering and now I have conveniently forgotten the reason they wanted to sit in the first place. Whoops!

These people need to find a totally different way to protest. It needs to be in a way that we don't actually see it. That's basically what it boils down to. Here I thought I hated the protests because they were violent, inconvenient or obnoxious. Turns out it's just because I had to witness it. That was the one thing that was putting me over the edge.

I suggest the proper way to protest would be to submit a change.org petition. Please leave me off the distribution list though, thanks. And dear god I hope you don't cause my internet to lag with your online activity. If my Tomi Lahren videos start stuttering, there is going to be hell to pay!
It's not about the 'protest' it's about the ability of the 'protest' to actually change something. Hard to change something if people are talking about the 'protest' and not the issue. Have people talked more about him kneeling or his reason for kneeling? Is his kneeling more productive than going into the neighborhoods and working with the people that live there?

He can kneel all he wants...his right to so...but IMO it's not doing a thing to enact change.

It's not about the 'protest' it's about the ability of the 'protest' to actually change something. Hard to change something if people are talking about the 'protest' and not the issue. Have people talked more about him kneeling or his reason for kneeling? Is his kneeling more productive than going into the neighborhoods and working with the people that live there?

He can kneel all he wants...his right to so...but IMO it's not doing a thing to enact change.
He is making it worse. He needs to leave his pampered and privileged life and find out how things are in the real world.

Exactly. Instead of kneeling during the anthem and possibly drawing attention to real issues...he would be way more productive going into these neighborhoods and helping these people avoid institutionalized racism. Let's put together an itinerary. What city should he start in?

Exactly. Instead of kneeling during the anthem and possibly drawing attention to real issues...he would be way more productive going into these neighborhoods and helping these people avoid institutionalized racism. Let's put together an itinerary. What city should he start in?
He could start in the city that he lives.

He, along with 49ers owner Jed York, are both donating $1 million for efforts on this very issue. Say what you will, he's putting money where his mouth is.
Maybe it would have more impact if he actually got out in the community and not just threw money at it.

The First Amendment does indeed prohibit Congress/Government from obstructing the exercise of individual freedoms. As you probably know, it also guarantees the right to believe and practice any religious beliefs, along with the commonly known freedom of speech/expression.

However, despite the specific limitations/prohibitions relative to Government, that amendment along with the Bill of Rights collectively is broader than what you suggest. Civil rights are not conveyed exclusively as a protection against government. You do realize that civil rights actions are brought against non-governmental entities all the time, right?

You also must realize that other protections provided by the constitution (like religion, political affiliation, the right to non-discrimination, etc.) don't suddenly evaporate in the private sector. I may not be a constitutional scholar, but it certainly doesn't appear you are either.

You must realize that the more you talk/type, the more you reveal how superficial (and mostly wrong) you are about the protections provided by the Amendments to the Constitution and the statutory mechanisms underlying the private causes of action of which you speak (see, for example, 42 USC 1983). I'll leave you to spouting more inaccurate nonsense however you see fit. Have fun being wrong.

You must realize that the more you talk/type, the more you reveal how superficial (and mostly wrong) you are about the protections provided by the Amendments to the Constitution and the statutory mechanisms underlying the private causes of action of which you speak (see, for example, 42 USC 1983). I'll leave you to spouting more inaccurate nonsense however you see fight. Have fun being wrong.
You know. Whether or not I am right or wrong about any of this, you take the prize for being a condescending prick. In addition to noting you provided no specific refutation or explanation of why you are right, I'll exercise my non-existent constitutional right to say fjck off. Nice conversing with you.

NFL may be setting some things in motion they regret... Thoughts?
I don't watch the NBA and now do not watch the NFL. People have a right to their opinions as I have a right not to contribute to their livelihood. I wouldn't go to a restaurant that has an asshole for an owner/server/cook.

Broncos' Brandon Marshall loses 2nd endorsement
Good. Hope he loses ALL such sideline money makers. Shows that some companies have a little self respect beyond objecting to the boy/girl locker room nonsense.

Yes, and I'm fine with the music, I just don't want to hear someone stop playing and talk for minutes on end. I loved Rage Against the Machine, again, I don't want to hear them speak. Play, that's what I'm there for. I used U2 and The Boss but it could apply to Hank Williams Jr or any other Right Wing supporting musician as well. I don't care about their opinions, most of them are absolute morons though they have talent. Anyone who allows the court jester (actors, musicians, celebrity types) to influence their political thinking is an unmitigated moronic ass.

I couldn't agree more and I love a thoughtful, politically minded or social issues song. They are professional musicians, that is why I am willing to spend money to give them a mic on a stage. I'm not paying for a political speech that they are no more qualified to give than I am. I've always considered that an abuse of the power given to them by the audience. People are there to have a good time and enjoy the music. Don't get me wrong, they are welcome to their opinions and if Bill Maher or the FIve or a similar show invites them on to discuss politics then let it rip, that's why you're there and that's what people are watching to hear. But selling tickets to a concert and then turning it into a political rally is a bait and switch that shouldn't happen.

You know. Whether or not I am right or wrong about any of this, you take the prize for being a condescending prick. In addition to noting you provided no specific refutation or explanation of why you are right, I'll exercise my non-existent constitutional right to say fjck off. Nice conversing with you.

Dude, I get a prize?!?! :grimace:

Yea, I sounded shitty; sorry about that. It was tit-for-tat for the "you must realize" lines. My bad. This is just a topic that drives me up a wall because so many wrong things get said, repeated, and then believed as true by the masses (ie, the NFL can regulate speech as a condition of employment....they force players to talk to the media when one has the right "not to speak" under 1A). I should have known better than to even open a thread that wasn't addressing WVU. Have a good one.

Dude, I get a prize?!?! :grimace:

Yea, I sounded shitty; sorry about that. It was tit-for-tat for the "you must realize" lines. My bad. This is just a topic that drives me up a wall because so many wrong things get said, repeated, and then believed as true by the masses (ie, the NFL can regulate speech as a condition of employment....they force players to talk to the media when one has the right "not to speak" under 1A). I should have known better than to even open a thread that wasn't addressing WVU. Have a good one.
That's what happens during bye weeks. ;) Thanks for apologizing, and I realize there is a lot of confusion regarding the constitution, some of which might be my own. You have a good one as well!

Reactions: Bootdawg
To be clear, Kap's protest is about police brutality toward minority groups. For you to argue that his protest is invalid because people in Chicago kill one another does not make sense. You are arguing something completely different.
Ever one talk about police brutality, just look at the number of police men killed by blacks, you should be arguing that the police are being killed at a higher rate.

Avoided this thread for days and a boring day at work led me to read it. What a disappointment. Not one single person banned?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT