ADVERTISEMENT

I tried out the Apple Vision Pro on Friday.

Soaring Eagle 74

All-Conference
Jan 4, 2008
1st, it’s astounding technology, initially when viewing and making 3D photos and videos of your families and friends, and when viewing immersive videos. However, when you think of all the underlying technology that supports the video technology, it’s even more astounding.

2nd, for the hardware and sales tax, you’re probably looking at $4,500 out the door. Not an impulse purchase, for me at least.

I don’t recommend buying the first generation hardware because the learning curve experience and technology improvements will make 2nd & 3rd generation headsets a much better value and there may even be a “consumer” version for sale by then.

I do recommend making a 30 minute demo appointment if you have an Apple Store in your area or if you’ll be somewhere near an Apple Store. The experience of being in the middle of a sports field during a pro game, and having a baby rhino walk right up to me were both unique. No cost for the demo.

The demo also provides immersive outdoors videos, and I would enjoy seeing remote parts of the world like Tanzania, Everest, Antarctica, Brooks Falls, etc, that I probably won’t make it to for various reasons.

This technology is the future. It may be 5-10 years away, but it’s the future.

I tried it. It's nice, no doubt, but nothing it does is really that much of a step above what Meta is doing with the Oculus 3 for $500. The visual clarity is definitely a bit better. So watching movies on a virtual big screen, I don't think anything can compete. But once it's a situation where it is rendering graphics, man, it's tough to really see the difference. I just don't see where the extra $3000 is going. It seems like a bonkers price for what it is to me.

Maybe try one of those out if you can. It's like 90% of what you get with the Vision Pro for 1/7 the price.

Something I like to do is go on Youtube and watch the 3D 8k "walking" videos where people walk around major cities. It's like you are there, it's wild.

Last edited:
images

I tried it. It's nice, no doubt, but nothing it does is really that much of a step above what Meta is doing with the Oculus 3 for $500. The visual clarity is definitely a bit better. So watching movies on a virtual big screen, I don't think anything can compete. But once it's a situation where it is rendering graphics, man, it's tough to really see the difference. I just don't see where the extra $3000 is going. It seems like a bonkers price for what it is to me.

Maybe try one of those out if you can. It's like 90% of what you get with the Vision Pro for 1/7 the price.

Something I like to do is go on Youtube and watch the 3D 8k "walking" videos where people walk around major cities. It's like you are there, it's wild.
I have to admit I stay away from Meta and Google hardware, software, and apps because their business model is selling personnal data, something I avoid. I’m not on Facebook and I use DuckDuckGo. But if you like Oculus, that’s great, and you saved $3,500.

I have to admit I stay away from Meta and Google hardware, software, and apps because their business model is selling personnal data, something I avoid. I’m not on Facebook and I use DuckDuckGo. But if you like Oculus, that’s great, and you saved $3,500.
Not that you'd consider advice from a verified "Trumper" however since you're using a search engine that doesn't track your urls like DuckDuckGo (good choice btw...my search engine of choice too) you might be interested in this web browser that also doesn't track your ip address, mac, or url history, and automatically blocks phishing, spam, and other intrusive, uninvited, annoying adware.

check it out here

*editor's note
in the comment section of the link provided above, it suggests the Dissenter browser has been discontinued. That is not true. Download link here

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT