ADVERTISEMENT

one W either side of .500 for WVU in 2021?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
The 2021 season will be the first time that Neal Brown coaches against Maryland, Virginia Tech and Long Island.

He twice beat Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Kansas.

He lost his only game against Oklahoma. Covid won in 2020 so the game wasn’t played.

He lost twice to Texas Tech, Iowa State (in blowouts!), Oklahoma State, Texas (close games).

Numbers say 4-5 with 3 first-timers that probably will be somewhere between 1-2 and 3-0.

So Numbers say 5-7 to 7-5. We'll see. I can't wait!

2019 SEASON

WVU 20, James Madison 13

WVU 7, Missouri 38

WVU 44, North Carolina State 27

WVU 29, Kansas 24

WVU 31, Texas 42

WVU 14, Iowa State 38

WVU 14, Oklahoma 52

WVU 14, Baylor 17

WVU 17, Texas Tech 38

WVU 24, Kansas State 20

WVU 13, Oklahoma State 20

WVU 20, TCU 17

2020 SEASON

WVU 56, Eastern Kentucky 10

WVU 13, Oklahoma State 27

WVU 27, Baylor 21

WVU 38, Kansas 17

WVU 27, Texas Tech 34

WVU 37, Kansas State 10

WVU 13, Texas 17

WVU 24, TCU 6

WVU 6, Iowa State 42

WVU 24, Army 21 (Liberty Bowl)

Wouldn't it have been simpler to say they suck and will again this season? The last 5 seasons Iowa State 3 - 9, 8 - 5, 8 - 5, 7 - 6, 9 - 3. They're the only team that can do that, right?

Your predictions are all over the place "By the numbers: WVU will be 8-4 to 10-2 in 2021". You said that last night, what will your prediction be tomorrow?

7-5 is about right. The Neal fan boys will tell you that WVU is vastly improved, and that all five losses were Holgorsen's fault. The lone Holgorsen supporter will refuse to acknowledge the win over Long Island, and brag about how many times mediocre Holgorsen won at least seven games. The "wait and see" crowd (me included) will be highly entertained by this never-ending debate.

And nothing we predict or pontificate will have any affect upon the outcome of a single game. Only the players, coaches and the officials can do that. They will likely be better than last year and it has nothing to do with previous teams or coaches.

Last year Brown didn't win a game on the road outside the G5 bowl game.

So looking at this years schedule:

When Opponent Where Time/TV
Saturday
Sep. 4
Maryland Football Schedule at Maryland Terrapins Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD 3:30pm ETESPN L
Saturday
Sep. 11
LIU Sharks Football Schedule LIU Sharks Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV 5:00pm ETESPN+ W
Saturday
Sep. 18
Virginia Tech Hokies Football Schedule Virginia Tech Hokies Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV 12:00pm ETFS1 ?
Saturday
Sep. 25
Oklahoma Football Schedule at Oklahoma Sooners Gaylord Family OK Mem. Stadium, Norman, OK Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Oct. 2
Texas Tech Football Schedule Texas Tech Red Raiders Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA W
Saturday
Oct. 9
Baylor Bears Football Schedule at Baylor Bears McLane Stadium, Waco, TX Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Oct. 16
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 23
TCU Football Schedule at TCU Horned Frogs Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Oct. 30
Iowa State Football Schedule Iowa State Cyclones Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Nov. 6
Oklahoma State Cowboys Football Schedule Oklahoma State Cowboys Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Nov. 13
Kansas State Football Schedule at Kansas State Wildcats Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS Time TBA ETTV TBA ?
Saturday
Nov. 20
Texas Football Schedule Texas Longhorns Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Nov. 27
Kansas Football Schedule at Kansas Jayhawks David Booth Kansas Mem. Stadium, Lawrence, KS Time TBA ETTV TBA W

Probably looking again at no greater than 5 wins. Pundits think it will be as many as 8 wins with WVU beating the likes of Texas and Iowa State. Brown hasn't ever done that, been crushed by ISU two years running so just don't see that happening. Texas was close last year, they have a new coach--there is a chance there.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it have been simpler to say they suck and will again this season? The last 5 seasons Iowa State 3 - 9, 8 - 5, 8 - 5, 7 - 6, 9 - 3. They're the only team that can do that, right?

Your predictions are all over the place "By the numbers: WVU will be 8-4 to 10-2 in 2021". You said that last night, what will your prediction be tomorrow?

NOT MINE. THE NUMBERS' PREDICTIONS!

Last year Brown didn't win a game on the road outside the G5 bowl game.

So looking at this years schedule:

When Opponent Where Time/TV
Saturday
Sep. 4
Maryland Football Schedule at Maryland Terrapins Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD 3:30pm ETESPN L
Saturday
Sep. 11
LIU Sharks Football Schedule LIU Sharks Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV 5:00pm ETESPN+ W
Saturday
Sep. 18
Virginia Tech Hokies Football Schedule Virginia Tech Hokies Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV 12:00pm ETFS1 ?
Saturday
Sep. 25
Oklahoma Football Schedule at Oklahoma Sooners Gaylord Family OK Mem. Stadium, Norman, OK Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Oct. 2
Texas Tech Football Schedule Texas Tech Red Raiders Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA W
Saturday
Oct. 9
Baylor Bears Football Schedule at Baylor Bears McLane Stadium, Waco, TX Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Oct. 16
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 23
TCU Football Schedule at TCU Horned Frogs Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Oct. 30
Iowa State Football Schedule Iowa State Cyclones Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Nov. 6
Oklahoma State Cowboys Football Schedule Oklahoma State Cowboys Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Nov. 13
Kansas State Football Schedule at Kansas State Wildcats Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS Time TBA ETTV TBA ?
Saturday
Nov. 20
Texas Football Schedule Texas Longhorns Mountaineer Field, Morgantown, WV Time TBA ETTV TBA L
Saturday
Nov. 27
Kansas Football Schedule at Kansas Jayhawks David Booth Kansas Mem. Stadium, Lawrence, KS Time TBA ETTV TBA W

Probably looking again at no greater than 5 wins. Pundits think it will be as many as 8 wins with WVU beating the likes of Texas and Iowa State. Brown hasn't ever done that, been crushed by ISU two years running so just don't see that happening. Texas was close last year, they have a new coach--there is a chance there.

You working tonight
If you are let me get that deal. Need some pizza tonight.

NOT MINE. THE NUMBERS' PREDICTIONS!

With all due respect, how did the numbers change overnight? At 10:09 last night you started a thread claiming 'By the numbers: WVU will be 8-4 to 10-2 in 2021' LINK.

Your words: "The numbers say that WVU will be 10-2, losing only to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. 8-4 if you don't count Texas (5-5) and Long Island (0-0 and barely a football school) as W's. If Neal Brown can’t pull that off then he’s not matching what’s normal for the Mountaineers against these 12 opponents."

So how did the numbers change overnight?

Reactions: Rootmaster
With all due respect, how did the numbers change overnight? At 10:09 last night you started a thread claiming 'By the numbers: WVU will be 8-4 to 10-2 in 2021' LINK.

Your words: "The numbers say that WVU will be 10-2, losing only to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. 8-4 if you don't count Texas (5-5) and Long Island (0-0 and barely a football school) as W's. If Neal Brown can’t pull that off then he’s not matching what’s normal for the Mountaineers against these 12 opponents."

So how did the numbers change overnight?

I RE-CHECKED THE NUMBERS AND A FEW POSTERS CORRECTED MY OVERSIGHTS. I THANK THEM FOR THAT. I ONLY WANT THE NUMBERS TO BE ACCURATE. THE MISTAKES WERE ON ME, NOT THE NUMBERS. BESIDES, IT HELPS US GET THROUGH BORING BASEBALL WAITING FOR THE SEPTEMBER 4 OPENER IN MARYLAND. RIGHT?

I RE-CHECKED THE NUMBERS AND A FEW POSTERS CORRECTED MY OVERSIGHTS. I THANK THEM FOR THAT. I ONLY WANT THE NUMBERS TO BE ACCURATE. THE MISTAKES WERE ON ME, NOT THE NUMBERS. BESIDES, IT HELPS US GET THROUGH BORING BASEBALL WAITING FOR THE SEPTEMBER 4 OPENER IN MARYLAND. RIGHT?
Ok

Seems to happen on nearly every post lol.

Reactions: locustwv
I'll give you that, and I'll agree that once the numbers become the norm they are hard to change, but only in the NFL which maintains the same basic team for awhile. College football is inherently different due to graduations and early departures. The most causative reason for success or failure is the head coach according to the numbers, again and again. I already pointed out Iowa State as a current example.

Let's take Clemson as another. Before Dabo Swinney took his first head coaching job with Clemson and gave them an average of just over 11 wins per season for 12 years so far, the Tigers were a second tier ACC team during the previous 2 coaches reins with Coach Tommy West averaging 6 wps over 5 years and Tommy Bowden averaging 7.8 wps over 9 years. Alabama had a losing record before Nick Saban. Look what FSU did under Bobby Bowden compared to before and now. As you say, the numbers show it.

The numbers also show that the most likely determination of WVU's success going forward is Coach Brown, at least for now. What happened before him is mostly irrelevant. Now is when we should start finding out how good he is, I'm optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
I'll give you that, and I'll agree that once the numbers become the norm they are hard to change, but only in the NFL which maintains the same basic team for awhile. College football is inherently different due to graduations and early departures. The most causative reason for success or failure is the head coach according to the numbers, again and again. I already pointed out Iowa State as a current example.

Let's take Clemson as another. Before Dabo Swinney took his first head coaching job with Clemson and gave them an average of just over 11 wins per season for 12 years so far, the Tigers were a second tier ACC team during the previous 2 coaches reins with Coach Tommy West averaging 6 wps over 5 years and Tommy Bowden averaging 7.8 wps over 9 years. Alabama had a losing record before Nick Saban. Look what FSU did under Bobby Bowden compared to before and now. As you say, the numbers show it.

The numbers also show that the most likely determination of WVU's success going forward is Coach Brown, at least for now. What happened before him is mostly irrelevant. Now is when we should start finding out how good he is, I'm optimistic.

GOOD POINTS, AS USUAL. BUT ALL WE CAN GO ON, TILL THE GAMES ARE PLAYED, ARE THE RESUME OF THE COACH. NEAL BROWN DID WELL AT TROY, BUT THAT'S NOT THE TEAM IN ALABAMA THAT EVERYONE FEARS AND DIDN'T HAVE COMPETITION TO MATCH THE BIG 12 LEVEL. AND I WON'T SLAM NEAL FOR BEING .500 FOR 2 SEASONS BECAUSE RICH DID THAT. NEW COACHES NEED TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE, BRING IN THEIR TYPE OF RECRUITS, THEN IMPLEMENT THEIR PROGRAM. THAT TAKES 4 TO 5 SEASONS. IMPATIENT FANS DON'T LIKE IT BUT THAT'S THE WAY IT IS. HELL, EVEN ALABAMA WAS NOTHING BEFORE NICK SABAN BEGAN HIS COACHING THERE. CHECK OUT THE W-L THE FEW YEARS BEFORE BROTHER SET THE WORLD ON FIRE IN TUSCALOOSA. NO ONE, INCLUDING ME, AND I THINK EVEN MIKE WOULD AGREE, KNOWS IF NEAL WILL BE A BUST OR A LEGEND AT WVU. THAT'S WHY WE ALL HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE 2020, 2021 AND 2022 SEASONS ARE PLAYED BEFORE WE REALLY KNOW WHERE NEAL WILL FIT INTO THE WVU COACHING TOTEM POLE. PATIENCE IS NOT AN ATTRIBUTE THAT FANS HAVE BUT IT IS WHAT IS NECESSARY TO BUILD A SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM. REMEMBER, ONLY DOC SPEARS IN 1922 EVER HAD AN UNDEFEATED SEASON AT WVU. SO WHY DOES ANYONE DEMAND THAT NEAL DO IT. DON DIDN'T DO IT. RICH DIDN'T DO IT. BOWDEN DIDN'T DO IT. CARLEN DIDN'T DO IT. DANA DIDN'T DO IT. BUT FANS KEEP HOPING FOR THE MIRACLE. AFTER 99 YEARS WVU STILL IS WAITING FOR ITS 2ND MIRACLE.

GOOD POINTS, AS USUAL. BUT ALL WE CAN GO ON, TILL THE GAMES ARE PLAYED, ARE THE RESUME OF THE COACH. NEAL BROWN DID WELL AT TROY, BUT THAT'S NOT THE TEAM IN ALABAMA THAT EVERYONE FEARS AND DIDN'T HAVE COMPETITION TO MATCH THE BIG 12 LEVEL. AND I WON'T SLAM NEAL FOR BEING .500 FOR 2 SEASONS BECAUSE RICH DID THAT. NEW COACHES NEED TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE, BRING IN THEIR TYPE OF RECRUITS, THEN IMPLEMENT THEIR PROGRAM. THAT TAKES 4 TO 5 SEASONS. IMPATIENT FANS DON'T LIKE IT BUT THAT'S THE WAY IT IS. HELL, EVEN ALABAMA WAS NOTHING BEFORE NICK SABAN BEGAN HIS COACHING THERE. CHECK OUT THE W-L THE FEW YEARS BEFORE BROTHER SET THE WORLD ON FIRE IN TUSCALOOSA. NO ONE, INCLUDING ME, AND I THINK EVEN MIKE WOULD AGREE, KNOWS IF NEAL WILL BE A BUST OR A LEGEND AT WVU. THAT'S WHY WE ALL HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE 2020, 2021 AND 2022 SEASONS ARE PLAYED BEFORE WE REALLY KNOW WHERE NEAL WILL FIT INTO THE WVU COACHING TOTEM POLE. PATIENCE IS NOT AN ATTRIBUTE THAT FANS HAVE BUT IT IS WHAT IS NECESSARY TO BUILD A SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM. REMEMBER, ONLY DOC SPEARS IN 1922 EVER HAD AN UNDEFEATED SEASON AT WVU. SO WHY DOES ANYONE DEMAND THAT NEAL DO IT. DON DIDN'T DO IT. RICH DIDN'T DO IT. BOWDEN DIDN'T DO IT. CARLEN DIDN'T DO IT. DANA DIDN'T DO IT. BUT FANS KEEP HOPING FOR THE MIRACLE. AFTER 99 YEARS WVU STILL IS WAITING FOR ITS 2ND MIRACLE.
You really should proofread your cut and paste reposts. The 2020 season has been played. Squirrel on the roof.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT