ADVERTISEMENT

OK If You Say so but Some Would Disagree!

"It was the same plays that were called when we were having 600 or so yards against decent defenses," Holgorsen said. "I think Texas Tech has a pretty good defense, I think Kansas State has a pretty good defense. It's all the same play calls. Those same plays worked."

Is that honestly coming out of a head coach? I know he talks later about how it also wasn't a lack of effort or preparation before blaming it on a lack of blocking and "attacking" the ball on offense. So the line wasn't blocking? What about the times Grier did have plenty of time? Were the receivers not getting open? And if so, why not?

It's kind of asinine to pretty much say that the playing calling was fine because it worked before and not acknowledge that ISU came up with a game plan to STOP those plays that you called before by watching film! ISU came up with a defensive strategy that totally shut us down and the head coach is admitting that our offensive play calling did not change since it was all the plays that "worked before." That is just being oblivious.

Reactions: Rootmaster
ISU defensive scheme that they used against The Mountaineer offensive was effective. Some reason(s) why it remained effective for all four quarters. WVU made zero adjustments. The offensive play calling is becoming predictable. Failure to use the TE. Inconsistent running game.

I don't get upset when The Mountaineers drop a game. But the problem I have and find aggravating is the way it happened. Zero mental or physical toughness, it looked as if the team gave up. Kind of like Holgrosen had no idea how to get the team refocused during the game and at halftime no adjustments.

My hats off to ISU they played a great game and deserved the win.

Reactions: mounty99
It's from the Logan Banner. I quit reading after seeing the source and a it's a week late from the Iowa State game. I'd try and find something new.

That is unless all you're wanting to do is bitch and moan and complain about something that's 7 days old. If that's the case continue on. And good luck with all that!

Well given the state of newspapers I don't think it takes too much to qualify as a snooze paper. I honestly haven't read a newspaper (except USA Today when traveling) in years. They give them away and I don't see the value. It's out of date info by the time it's delivered.

Reactions: Panhandleer
It's from the Logan Banner. I quit reading after seeing the source and a it's a week late from the Iowa State game. I'd try and find something new.

If you don't care to discuss the article then let some of us talk about the sorry ass performance at ISU I'm Sorry that you only read The New York Times and are offended by an article from a small town paper such as The Logan Banner.

Why would I read The NY Times? I don't live in New York and don't care what Grey Ghost says either..

I'm from the coal fields-Boone County actually-and small town papers are as dead half the loyal voters in Logan County.

If you actually want to see Holgorsen speak, you can watch about all the media PC online for free and not get the filtered version 1 week after the fact. You can do that or research Donald Eugene Nehlen's coaching imperfections vs Pitt in 89 all the way through Syracuse and Scotty McBrian vs Cuse in 2000. Live in the past though and have as much fun as you need to. You'll probably eventually realize it's over and resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: GetWithTheTimesMan

That is unless all you're wanting to do is bitch and moan and complain about something that's 7 days old. If that's the case continue on. And good luck with all that!

The excerpt I was referring to was a quote from Holgorsen himself. So unless you think the Logan Banner is misquoting him or flat out lying, there is something worth discussing here. That is the idea that the Head Coach is honestly suggesting that play calling in the ISU game is not an issue because it was the same plays called all year that "worked before." That is concerning going forward if the opposition can just sell out to counter our strengths and the head coach doesn't think adding new plays or wrinkles to take what the defense is giving them is necessary.

ISU looked like they had 15 guys in on defense the whole game. Maybe the refs couldn't count.

3X ENG, yes I am living in the past; at my age I spend most of my time reminiscing. But does not seem as if you are living in the present or give a hoot about the future of our program. Also sounds as if you are blaming the Logan Banner instead of Dana, It is a sad day when someone has what appears to be a strong negative opinion of small town papers trying to survive at a difficult time.

Last edited:
Reactions: wvpaper
Dana does not have my unconditional love. I stand out around here because of that. But I do fine

I am not a fans of newspapers. It's an antiquated form of delivery of the news. Plus the arrogance they used to have with the editorial boards and endorsements that was on full display at all times does make me have less sympathy. I have many cares for any and all workers who lose their job but the failure of the industry to adapt to a changing world of communication and the arrogance is the reason they can blame themselves to a large extent.

It's like being in the land line phone business where they used to charge $0.50 a minute long distance. There comes a point where Ma Bell ain't the controller of communication. And only the companies that realized 'hey this cell service and cable companies (to a lesser extent) are driving us out of business.

As for blame or failure to care about the future of football, I'm not a player, so I don't assign blame. I donate, go to games, watch, & enjoy. The second the game is over it's a win or a loss and it is on to the next one. Can't live in the past or change it. It's why the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror.

I will say Holgorsen as a coach is doing about what we've done historically as a school. I don't lose sleep cause WVU doesn't win every game. It's entertainment for me that's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: GetWithTheTimesMan
The excerpt I was referring to was a quote from Holgorsen himself. So unless you think the Logan Banner is misquoting him or flat out lying, there is something worth discussing here. That is the idea that the Head Coach is honestly suggesting that play calling in the ISU game is not an issue because it was the same plays called all year that "worked before." That is concerning going forward if the opposition can just sell out to counter our strengths and the head coach doesn't think adding new plays or wrinkles to take what the defense is giving them is necessary.
Fair point & objective analysis.

For my news I go to on-line, tv, radio and newspapers rather than depend on one medium. Interesting thing is that I sometimes get a slightly different slant sometimes to the same story.
I would suggest that depending on one source for your news is setting yourself up to miss something every now and then. I find that the on-line folks are more concise, the radio folks give a story and then refer you to a website for details, TV - give the pictures to go with the news but very little depth on the stories, newspapers (at least the good ones) will provide a bit more details that the others, but you have to wait until they come out - somethings a number of hours after the event.
As for The Logan Banner - it was a pretty good paper when I bought them for three cents and sold them for five cents when I was in the third grade. thought I rolling in the dough.

For my news I go to on-line, tv, radio and newspapers rather than depend on one medium. Interesting thing is that I sometimes get a slightly different slant sometimes to the same story.
I would suggest that depending on one source for your news is setting yourself up to miss something every now and then. I find that the on-line folks are more concise, the radio folks give a story and then refer you to a website for details, TV - give the pictures to go with the news but very little depth on the stories, newspapers (at least the good ones) will provide a bit more details that the others, but you have to wait until they come out - somethings a number of hours after the event.
As for The Logan Banner - it was a pretty good paper when I bought them for three cents and sold them for five cents when I was in the third grade. thought I rolling in the dough.

Ran into Willie Akers at DC Reagan Airport when each of us was returning from somewhere else. Nice chat. Good guy. Logan's finest.

3X ENG, yes I am living in the past; at my age I spend most of my time reminiscing. But does not seem as if you are living in the present or give a hoot about the future of our program. Also sounds as if you are blaming the Logan Banner instead of Dana, It is a sad day when someone has what appears to be a strong negative opinion of small town papers trying to survive at a difficult time.

**** “small town papers.” It’s their own damn fault they didn’t get with the times.

Hell I still buy a local Newspaper now and then. I like the crossword puzzles and local news articles. But I mostly read AP, Reuters, BBC world news websites. Sometimes watch local news in the mornings. I stay away from the entertainment media like FOX, CNN and MSNBC.

Newspapers still have a place but not like it was in the past. Same thing goes for books, nothing beats a good hard cover novel even though e-readers are popular.

To me it's having the best of both worlds.

I hope Dana is playing dumb on purpose. The issue wasn’t execution or play calling (although that sucked too)....it was scheme. Dana’s been figured out. We’ll know if he learned soon. If he has, then he will start the Baylor game with his old stuff and only use any new wrinkles as needed.

I would really wait until Texas to show the changes. They would have no idea what’s coming.

That being said...I fear I am suffering from misplaced optimism.

Reactions: Rootmaster
nothing beats a good hard cover novel even though e-readers are popular.

I can't read a tablet ebook. You are absolutely correct. A good hard cover autobiography or novel is hard to beat. Easier on the eyes to read. Plus no cord or low power supply. I would have trouble learning with text book being on a tablet like the kids of today.

I hope Dana is playing dumb on purpose. The issue wasn’t execution or play calling (although that sucked too)....it was scheme. Dana’s been figured out. We’ll know if he learned soon. If he has, then he will start the Baylor game with his old stuff and only use any new wrinkles as needed.

I would really wait until Texas to show the changes. They would have no idea what’s coming.

That being said...I fear I am suffering from misplaced optimism.
The issue is the offensive line. If they make holes and keep Grier from getting whacked, WVU wins, often easily. If they don't, as they didn't against Iowa State, running backs go nowhere, Grier gets whacked and our receivers don't rack up yardage and touchdowns. Period.

The resurrection must begin against Baylor. And then comes the toughest test of this season, in my opinion, against Texas. Although Oklahoma is big, strong and fast. So make that two toughest tests of the season.

So all the WVU offense line needs to do is help the Mountaineers go 5-0 the rest of the season and my alma mater is in the Big 12 title game. Piece of cake. NOT!!!

But I'll get in Mountaineer Field on Thursday night hoping with all my heart that the climb out of the Iowa State disaster gets off on a strong, impressive footing.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Agree. It was poor offensive line play that resulted in Grier being chased around in the backfield all night, no running game, and the defense having to spend too much time on the field. It all goes back to failure to maintain possession, and allowing an opponent to hold onto the ball for almost 2/3 of the game will kill just about any team you can name. Fix the holes in the O line, and we get back on track. Don't fix the problem and we're done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT