ADVERTISEMENT

Of the 100 or so colleges and universities publicly denouncing Hamas…

I think you have to admit, it is a complex issue overall with plenty of fault to go around. That being said, what Hamas did has no justification and our universities should condemn this. Even keeping in mind that great universities should be bastians of free and creative thought. You can be both...

Reactions: Mike WVU
West Virginia is one of only 7 of the nations largest to do so. None are Ivy.

Arizona, Arizona St., Baylor, Florida Atlantic, University of Miami and Notre Dame were the others.

Our higher education system is led by a reprehensible group of cultists.
Love this!

Reactions: Cheat Lake EER
I think you have to admit, it is a complex issue overall with plenty of fault to go around. That being said, what Hamas did has no justification and our universities should condemn this. Even keeping in mind that great universities should be bastians of free and creative thought. You can be both...

My comment has nothing to do with the larger, more complex issue.

Reactions: cam_blev
Yeah but...... you know how during football games they'll usually run an advertisement/promo for each university? Over the past five years or so I've noticed WVU always manages to have a Muslim student represented in their promo. So they go out of their way to cater to group that makes up less than 1% of the state population. I wished my land grant university would get back to serving its own citizens.

85cl4q.jpg

Reactions: ChilliWVUFan
Yeah but...... you know how during football games they'll usually run an advertisement/promo for each university? Over the past five years or so I've noticed WVU always manages to have a Muslim student represented in their promo. So they go out of their way to cater to group that makes up less than 1% of the state population. I wished my land grant university would get back to serving its own citizens.
There it is...

Not where Jim was going... nor where he started, but we got there.

Always proud of the latent racism and bigotry that is always present here in some form.

WV PROUD !

I'm just not sure why it matters. Have these universities said anything about the conflict? If they're releasing from the river to the sea statements I'll buy in. but just staying quiet instead of releasing a condemnation that doesn't actually mean anything doesn't seem all that bad.

I'm just not sure why it matters. Have these universities said anything about the conflict? If they're releasing from the river to the sea statements I'll buy in. but just staying quiet instead of releasing a condemnation that doesn't actually mean anything doesn't seem all that bad.

I guess if they weren’t the biggest hotspot of anti-semitism and pro-Hamas protests, I would agree.

Leadership is leadership.

Super dooper wrong board.

But I'd like to make a point about what's lacking here...

What exactly is the OP talking about? Was this one specific statement all universities were specifically asked to sign? Are we talking about statements from specific individual universities? Someone scanned the PR wires to study who released public statements re the middle east and who did not?

We have to stop taking whiffs of information, with little to no specifics, and deciding we should be angry about it.

Very few have not denounced Hamas' actions as everyone should. But the difference between Hamas and the Palestinian people is a very important distinction. Israeli policy towards the Palestinian people the last decade has been very aggressive and antagonistic.

Anyway...the OP seemed to feel the need to hate on higher ed in general...and maybe for good reason. We just don't know with what was presented for reasoning. But the world is very very complicated and nuanced and our discourse should be sure to take that into account.

Bumper sticker slogans to scream about isn't healthy for any of us.

Reactions: DE MTNEER

Arizona, Arizona St., Baylor, Florida Atlantic, University of Miami and Notre Dame were the others.

Good, but I'm shocked we did so.

Bumper sticker slogans to scream about isn't healthy for any of us.

You mean like, “From the river to the sea”?

I agree that everything in this world has complex dynamics at work. But when we are unable to clearly and unequivocally call out the burning of babies, raping of women and eradication of a group of people, perhaps we should all just say we had a good run and call it a day.

As for your characterization of who is and is t denouncing Hamas, you must not be paying attention.

We have a member of US Congress shouting the bumper sticker slogan.

Reactions: anon_ua13v0oqypu5z
Muslims are, and can be, WVU fans too.

I guess if they weren’t the biggest hotspot of anti-semitism and pro-Hamas protests, I would agree.

Leadership is leadership.
Most of these universities have 30 or 40k students. Do they have to issue statements based on every asshole they have there?

You mean like, “From the river to the sea”?

I agree that everything in this world has complex dynamics at work. But when we are unable to clearly and unequivocally call out the burning of babies, raping of women and eradication of a group of people, perhaps we should all just say we had a good run and call it a day.

As for your characterization of who is and is t denouncing Hamas, you must not be paying attention.

We have a member of US Congress shouting the bumper sticker slogan.
Correct. Like that slogan.

Everyone is able to call out those terrible things. And has.

So now you seem to be most upset about 1 specific member of the House and not universities?

It's this type of unfocused, counterproductive lashing out that is a problem with our discourse.

I wish that most organizations of any kind would get out of these types of announcements. I really don’t care what Harvard, McDonalds or any other entities thank about the hot button issues of the day. I will make that determination myself. Just my two cents.

You are aware there is a large portion of the student body not from WV right?

So only white Christians should go to WVU?

Ah but still part of the population.....just representing everyone, what is wrong w/ that.

Reactions: beckley eer

Reactions: WV Jim WV

It's great to hear that WVU denounced Hamas. Universities are disgraceful.

Reactions: Cheat Lake EER
There is no distinction. The Palestinian people elected Hamas to run their government.
The average age of Palestinians is about 19 and that election was in '06 meaning most there were not even allowed to vote so no the Palestinians there did not elect Hamas
I also would not hold you responsible for Biden nor Trumps decisions either for what it is worth.
The leaders of nations rarely represent the people and/or their ideas.

The average age of Palestinians is about 19 and that election was in '06 meaning most there were not even allowed to vote so no the Palestinians there did not elect Hamas
I also would not hold you responsible for Biden nor Trumps decisions either for what it is worth.

Comprehensive Report Reveals Endemic Hate Education in Palestinian Schools​

Palestinian children are being systematically taught to hate Jewish Israelis and violently resist a Jewish presence in Israel, a comprehensive review of Palestinian school textbooks has found.

The study, by Dr. Arnon Gross of the Meir Amit Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center, in conjunction with David Bedein of the Center for Near East Policy Research, looked at nearly 400 school text books published between 2013 and 2020, and more than one hundred teachers’ guides, mostly published in 2018, for a greater insight into how the material was being taught.

They found three main strands of indoctrination running though the texts: delegitimization of the State of Israel’s existence, including the denial of Jewish holy sites within Israel; demonization of Israel and the Jews, who are regularly referred to as “the Zionist enemy”; and incitement to violent struggle to reclaim the whole of Israel as Palestine, with no education for peace and co-existence.

“Schoolbooks are specifically important in societies in conflict, because they indicate the narrative the leadership and society strive to instill in the minds of the younger generation,” the report notes. “The schoolbooks issued by the Palestinian Authority indicate, then, the essence of the narrative as far as the conflict with Israel is concerned.”

Overall, 57% of Gazans express at least a somewhat positive opinion of Hamas—along with similar percentages of Palestinians in the West Bank (52%) and East Jerusalem (64%)—though Gazans who express this opinion of Hamas are fewer than the number of Gazans who have a positive view of Fatah (64%). (October 2023 polling)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT