ADVERTISEMENT

Besides NIL Should Colleges and Universities Pay College Athletes?

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
Pros and Cons of paying athletes

PRO:
1. The NCAA, colleges, and universities profit unfairly from the work and likenesses of college athletes.
2. College athletes are risking their bodies as well as their future careers and earning potential to play for colleges and universities while often receiving a sub-par education.
3. College athletes are often valued at more than $1 million, but they (and their families) frequently live below the poverty line.

CON
1. Scholarships are fair financial compensation for college athletes, especially considering the precarious finances of athletic departments.
2. Very few college athletes will go pro, so athletes should take advantage of the education being offered in exchange for playing a college sport.
3. Paying college athletes would not solve the real problem: the American amateur sports system is broken.

Pros and Cons of paying athletes

PRO:
1. The NCAA, colleges, and universities profit unfairly from the work and likenesses of college athletes.
2. College athletes are risking their bodies as well as their future careers and earning potential to play for colleges and universities while often receiving a sub-par education.
3. College athletes are often valued at more than $1 million, but they (and their families) frequently live below the poverty line.

CON
1. Scholarships are fair financial compensation for college athletes, especially considering the precarious finances of athletic departments.
2. Very few college athletes will go pro, so athletes should take advantage of the education being offered in exchange for playing a college sport.
3. Paying college athletes would not solve the real problem: the American amateur sports system is broken.

The solution to it all is to allow kids to bypass college to go to the NFL. What a crazy thought, right? Why does a kid have to go to college to get into the NFL? Don’t fool yourself, this is ALL about the ability to operate a multi billion dollar business and not pay the employees. The original idea of amateurism was great under a governing body known as the NCAA. Then the SCOTUS messed up and allowed schools to negotiate their own media and television rights. This eliminating any power the NCAA had. Naturally, the kids wanted a part of the pie. Which snowballed into NIL. There’s no turning back now. I’ve said for awhile, it’s time to remove the schools tax exempt status and force them to put these kids on their payrolls and give them benefits and require them to pay taxes as well.

I dont think the kids should get paid at all since they get a free expensive education, but I always felt like the universities could make sure they have meals and such for sure. They definitely deserve free food along with room and board, and of course free tuition. For every year they stick around without transferring, they could get an end of the year bonus. If they stick around all 4 years at the same school, the university could lease them a vehicle for their entire senior year plus a nice bonus at the end of the season -A pizza party or something. I think the most best scenario is that people begin to really reject what they are doing to sports and forces their hand into change after a few years of it. The only way they can keep crashing it, is if we keep watching.

I dont think the kids should get paid at all since they get a free expensive education, but I always felt like the universities could make sure they have meals and such for sure. They definitely deserve free food along with room and board, and of course free tuition. For every year they stick around without transferring, they could get an end of the year bonus. If they stick around all 4 years at the same school, the university could lease them a vehicle for their entire senior year plus a nice bonus at the end of the season -A pizza party or something. I think the most best scenario is that people begin to really reject what they are doing to sports and forces their hand into change after a few years of it. The only way they can keep crashing it, is if we keep watching.
A nice pizza party wouldve done it for me. Lol. I do agree with you though. I think the answer is letting the elite athletes go straight to the NFL. And eliminate all this NIL crap. The ones that can’t go straight to the NFL get to prove themselves in college and if they are ready they can leave after any school year. Then they can make their money.

A nice pizza party wouldve done it for me. Lol. I do agree with you though. I think the answer is letting the elite athletes go straight to the NFL. And eliminate all this NIL crap. The ones that can’t go straight to the NFL get to prove themselves in college and if they are ready they can leave after any school year. Then they can make their money.
I totally agree with them being able to go to the NFL from HS. Should have been that way a long time ago and hopefully one day it will be.

Reactions: locustwv
2020 survey said that of high school football players 7% will play college football (any size college, not Power 5) and that .2% would be on a roster in the NFL IF they play in college. Again that is point two percent.

So chances a high school player goes directly into the NFL are slim pickings.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
2020 survey said that of high school football players 7% will play college football (any size college, not Power 5) and that .2% would be on a roster in the NFL IF they play in college. Again that is point two percent.

So chances a high school player goes directly into the NFL are slim pickings.
Yes, the point is to allow that Avenue. Ultimately, the NFL is getting away with a free minor league system

Yes, the point is to allow that Avenue. Ultimately, the NFL is getting away with a free minor league system
If NFL has college teams for minor league deals then the top schools will dwindle to 32 teams. Then a 2nd level below the 32 would be minor league for the minor league teams. There would be P5-A then P5-B, 64 teams. This only happens if they split away from NCAA. It's a mess any way you look at it.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
If NFL has college teams for minor league deals then the top schools will dwindle to 32 teams. Then a 2nd level below the 32 would be minor league for the minor league teams. There would be P5-A then P5-B, 64 teams. This only happens if they split away from NCAA. It's a mess any way you look at it.
And that’s why they need the NCAA. It protects this imaginary (on paper only) amateur status that allows them to get around paying these kids. Again, that SCOTUS decision in the early 80’s put us on this course

Reactions: deedoubleyou
The solution to it all is to allow kids to bypass college to go to the NFL. What a crazy thought, right? Why does a kid have to go to college to get into the NFL?
The NFL does this because it allows their rookies to come in fully marketed for free by the college system. No way the NFL is going to reverse course on that and no way Congress is going to mandate something that would have so many negative consequences for America’s Universities who are deeply invested in football.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT