ADVERTISEMENT

Now that he's locked HCNB in...

WVU_Dave

All-American
Jan 7, 2008
Dulce Base - 7 Levels Down
Can I assume that if HVJE holds on for one more game to keep us to single digit regular season wins, that Wren will be working on that extension next? I mean there must be some strategy behind the scenes to lower expectations enough to make the shift to FCS palatable in a few years?

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I am ok with Neal 1 year extension. After 2024 season is done and he fails he will be canned so I don't know why you people are bitching about it. As far as JE he was fired the day he started.

I am ok with Neal 1 year extension. After 2024 season is done and he fails he will be canned so I don't know why you people are bitching about it. As far as JE he was fired the day he started.

Because if he is canned WVU pays 900K more that it would have with the original deal. That is assuming he is canned after 2024 ends. So the new contract I guess does allow WVU to can Brown before Janruary 1st, 2025 and save 300K.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
If we end up with Byington or May, it will turn the frowns upside downs. WVU is a very attractive job. A great tradition of winning, excellent facilities, and fans that go to games and get loud. Same with football. We can get a really good coach to elevate the football program closer to where it was under Rich Rod, and we will.

WVU has been down lately, but not for long.

Reactions: jerzac
Because if he is canned WVU pays 900K more that it would have with the original deal. That is assuming he is canned after 2024 ends. So the new contract I guess does allow WVU to can Brown before Janruary 1st, 2025 and save 300K.
They are going to pay no matter who the coach is. Quit being a hater.

If we end up with Byington or May, it will turn the frowns upside downs. WVU is a very attractive job. A great tradition of winning, excellent facilities, and fans that go to games and get loud. Same with football. We can get a really good coach to elevate the football program closer to where it was under Rich Rod, and we will.

WVU has been down lately, but not for long.
Rod sued to get out of his contract without paying the buyout.

Hiring coaches are a gamble.

How many of Rod Frauds players stay if transfer portal and NIL was during his years. Not many. Quit worshipping coaches and be a fan instead.

Listen I loved Rich Rod but I often wonder where he would’ve been without getting crazy lucky with Pat White, Steve Slaton and Owen Schmitt.

Reactions: WVUBRU

How many of Rod Frauds players stay if transfer portal and NIL was during his years. Not many. Quit worshipping coaches and be a fan instead.
We should strive to be as good as we were under rich Rod and if you don't agree I would say you are not much of a fan at all. Saying we should strive to be thar good is not worshipping rich Rod, dork lol. Don't you want to win or what?

Rod dropped the lawsuit too.

We can’t complain that we can’t afford to fire an underperforming head coach then be complacent when leadership makes it cost more to fire him. It’s even worse when everyone is touting this as a victory lap of “taking a reduced buyout”, which I promise I won’t mention again lol

Well, actually WVU sued Rodrequez for breach of contract for 4 million and prevailed. a settlement was agreed on

We should strive to be as good as we were under rich Rod and if you don't agree I would say you are not much of a fan at all. Saying we should strive to be thar good is not worshipping rich Rod, dork lol. Don't you want to win or what?
I don't mind striving to be as good as we were under rod but how realistic is that. All those things happened when we were in the Big East. The NIL and the transfer portal didn't exist back then. If Va Tech would have still been in the Big East in 2005 the Sugar Bowl would have never happened. It would be much more difficult in today's environment to produce the 2005-2007 results.

Reactions: 4WVU
I don't mind striving to be as good as we were under rod but how realistic is that. All those things happened when we were in the Big East. The NIL and the transfer portal didn't exist back then. If Va Tech would have still been in the Big East in 2005 the Sugar Bowl would have never happened. It would be much more difficult in today's environment to produce the 2005-2007 results.
With Texas and OU leaving, there is no reason WVU cant be in the top 3 in B12 pretty much yearly.

I don't see how you justify negotiating to pay MORE than you were already contracted to pay as anything other than a bad thing.
I don't see how you can't justify the ability to fire him if he screws up.

9-4 (6-3) Do it again and it's worth every dime. Don't do it and it's worth the firing.

Think he was like 11th out of 16 in salary for Big 12 coaches. Probably lower than that now considering he took a 400,000 pay cut.

Last edited:
Agree, hope Josh lands a head coaching job somewhere. He deserves a shot under better circumstances. Doesn't have to be a big job.
If he wanted to be a head coach why did he stay 2 decades as a film guy for Huggins. Seems he would have gone someplace to become a head coach.

I don't see how you can't justify the ability to fire him if he screws up.

You make it sound like WVU needed a new contract to fire him, which WVU didn't. Brown was going to get a chance this year regardless. So unless WVU fires him before January 1st, 2025, where WVU is now contracted to pay 300K less, WVU is contracted to pay more. Meaning WVU negotiated a single scenario to save 300K, but left themselves contractually obligated to pay 900K-1.5M more in every other scenario where Brown is fired.

If Brown does well enough to get a better job offer, this new contract hardly makes it more difficult for him to leave and only increases the buyout on his end by 80K this year and couple hundred grand the following years.

Hence, I don't see much advantage in this renegotiation now over doing so after seeing how well he does this year.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
Rod dropped the lawsuit too.

We can’t complain that we can’t afford to fire an underperforming head coach then be complacent when leadership makes it cost more to fire him. It’s even worse when everyone is touting this as a victory lap of “taking a reduced buyout”, which I promise I won’t mention again lol
Don't give a shit. What's so hard for people to understand that. It's obvious the big money players want him. You don't like it tough shit.

You make it sound like WVU needed a new contract to fire him, which WVU didn't. Brown was going to get a chance this year regardless. So unless WVU fires him before January 1st, 2025, where WVU is now contracted to pay 300K less, WVU is contracted to pay more. Meaning WVU negotiated a single scenario to save 300K, but left themselves contractually obligated to pay 900K-1.5M more in every other scenario where Brown is fired.

If Brown does well enough to get a better job offer, this new contract hardly makes it more difficult for him to leave and only increases the buyout on his end by 80K this year and couple hundred grand the following years.

Hence, I don't see much advantage in this renegotiation now over doing so after seeing how well he does this year.
Hence I don't see why you're worried about something you have no control over.

They can afford it or they wouldn't have done it. Get over it.

Just because you can afford to piss money away doesn't mean it's good to do so. All I'm saying is that you said it was good contact for both sides. I just don't see how it is anything other than pretty solidly in Brown's favor with only a small possibility of WVU making a minor savings. Sure it is not the fleecing of the original contract, but it does not appear to favor WVU that much and it certainly doesn't seem like it was necessary before end of the year.

If Baker already has a guy picked out that he cannot afford to wait until after 12/31/24 to go after AND he is already set on replacing Brown short of a miraculous season, then it makes some sense. But again it only saves 300K even in that specific case.

More words about nothing. You have become boring.

Baker top priority is to find a basketball coach. Brown's priority is win games or Baker will be forced to find another.

You don't like the process we get it. But not thing you can do.

More words about nothing. You have become boring.

Baker top priority is to find a basketball coach. Brown's priority is win games or Baker will be forced to find another.

You don't like the process we get it. But not thing you can do.

You said it was good for both sides. I showed the numbers prove it isn't really. Sounds like your assessment is based upon nothing.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster

No, they can’t afford it. I guarantee if we only win 6 or fewer games, this extension will be a crutch that keeps Brown here.

Plse don't use PRod as any example "anytime anywhere" - while attempting to outline West Virginia Athletics, unless on the Negative.

Think PRod,
attempted to get
Noel Devine & Joc Saunders to transfer with him.

Still not sold on West Virginia ever forgiving Gibby - for riding to Ann Arbor with PRod with his hair plugs on fire, so to speak.

Back to Neal Brown, Neal Brown provides stability that Holgerson nor RichRod never attempted - for West Virginia players & West Virginia talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT