ADVERTISEMENT

Never thought I would say this

That is rather stupid...not sure how many times the anthem is actually played on tv before a game, but don't let reality get in the way of a Captain America meme.

Since we're living in a make believe world, Never. They never show the anthem on TV. But if they would, folks all across the country would be standing in their living rooms.

I will say, that I agree 100% with the way Dallas handled things last night. They did their thing, made the news and still stood for the anthem. And that is hard for me to say as Dallas is right with sPitt in my category of hate.

My view: Standing for the National Anthem is not mandatory.
I stand for it, hold my hand over my heart and sing it.
But I'm not African-American, whose ancestors were brought to America on a slave ship, and mistreated and treated like non-persons (except when it came to counting voters, then they were 3/5 of a person who couldn't vote). I'd be pissed, too, if my ancestors were treated that way. And my ancestors were not on slave ships, but departed from Italy and Poland.

The First Amendment applies to everyone, whether we agree with them or not. They have a right, in making a statement, to kneel or raise a fist. Everyone else has a right to disagree, or stay away from the games, which NFL fans will not. They will just blow smoke in anger and then go back to watch their favorite teams. It's the nature of sports fans.

If you start deciding who does NOT have Free Speech rights, then we're all in trouble. That's how Hitler got into power. First the Jews, then anyone else who disagreed with him.

The First Amendment means someone I do NOT agree with has a right to voice his opinion, as long as -- as the Supreme Court ruled -- he/she does not yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.

Democracy is messy. So we have to let people we disagree with have their say, too, as long as it doesn't incite violence, as Trump's rhetoric did. Trump still has that right to stir up racial and ethnic hatred but then Trump, like every citizen, is responsible for what his free speech leads to. If it incites violence, then it's on the person whose speech incited the violence.
No, it's all just really ignorant. Listen, what happened to blacks 200 + years ago was horrible. The majority of any civilized Americans will agree. However, it's not my fault or any other white Americans fault what happened to their ancestors. I never owned a slave and none of the blacks alive today were a slave. Secondly, there is no oppression. Slavery ended 200 years ago. The Civil Rights Act was enacted decades ago. We all have equal opportunities in America. We have more rights here in America than any other country in the world. Although I agree, the players have the right to kneel, it doesn't make it right. And I have the right to my opinion and the right to turn the channel. What these players don't understand is, you don't just have free will to publicly trash and embarrass your business you work for . Despite the owners head scratching support, Donald Trump has a point. Most jobs would fire you for doing things to anger your customers.

Usually show the National Anthem on TV for the Super Bowl. Hell, you can even bet on the time it will take to finish, over / under. Regardless, the NFL is boxed in on this issue and there is not an easy answer for them to come out with a positive image. Not the first screw up by the league but has the potential to be a difficult clean up. Ps. When you have season ticket holders burning jerseys and tickets, you have problems, the size yet to be determined.

Usually show the National Anthem on TV for the Super Bowl. Hell, you can even bet on the time it will take to finish, over / under. Regardless, the NFL is boxed in on this issue and there is not an easy answer for them to come out with a positive image. Not the first screw up by the league but has the potential to be a difficult clean up. Ps. When you have season ticket holders burning jerseys and tickets, you have problems, the size yet to be determined.
I think their best bet is to keep all the players in the locker room until after the anthem. The Steelers had the right idea, but they didn't tell anyone their reasoning. It backfired in their faces. If the NFL makes a change to the pregame format league wide, people will forget about it because the players are not out on the field yet.

Our Founding Fathers would have sided with the NFL players. I'm not agreeing with what they did or suggesting that I would ever kneel for the Anthem. However, our Founding Fathers would have sided with the NFL players. They were anti-tyranny. The government we have now is the opposite of what they wanted which is to be expected after a few centuries.Yes, some of them had slaves. They weren't perfect, they had flaws but so do all humans. However, they supported freedom and were anti-tyranny. There's a reason why they created the Constitution and Bill of Rights. There's a reason why they thought it was in everyone's best interest to be able to speak and express themselves freely, own guns, etc.

PS. Someone said slavery ended 200 years ago. That is wrong. Maybe people aren't forced to pick cotton anymore but slavery still exists in different forms. And for a country that boasts "freedom", I find that unacceptable which is why I said in last paragraph that our country has been slowly turning into something that our Founding Fathers were against.

One of the biggest events that led to the actual American Revolution was the Boston Massacre when British troops killed civilians. This really got the ball rolling in the rebellion against King George.

Reactions: Phil
Our Founding Fathers would have sided with the NFL players. I'm not agreeing with what they did or suggesting that I would ever kneel for the Anthem. However, our Founding Fathers would have sided with the NFL players. They were anti-tyranny. The government we have now is the opposite of what they wanted which is to be expected after a few centuries.Yes, some of them had slaves. They weren't perfect, they had flaws but so do all humans. However, they supported freedom and were anti-tyranny. There's a reason why they created the Constitution and Bill of Rights. There's a reason why they thought it was in everyone's best interest to be able to speak and express themselves freely, own guns, etc.

PS. Someone said slavery ended 200 years ago. That is wrong. Maybe people aren't forced to pick cotton anymore but slavery still exists in different forms. And for a country that boasts "freedom", I find that unacceptable which is why I said in last paragraph that our country has been slowly turning into something that our Founding Fathers were against.

One of the biggest events that led to the actual American Revolution was the Boston Massacre when British troops killed civilians. This really got the ball rolling in the rebellion against King George.
lord. No you're wrong. Slavery is not legal and has not been in 200 years. Underground illegal sex slavery etc does not pertain to this. Typical liberal spin. There were no problems until obama showed up. It's going to take a generation to cleanse this liberal brainwashing.

[QUOTE="bEER_Nation13, post: 1675156, member: 4938" but slavery still exists in different forms. [/QUOTE]

Please enlighten me on this comment.

I think their best bet is to keep all the players in the locker room until after the anthem. The Steelers had the right idea, but they didn't tell anyone their reasoning. It backfired in their faces. If the NFL makes a change to the pregame format league wide, people will forget about it because the players are not out on the field yet.

Yeah..................keep the players in the locker room so the fans can't see them disrespect their flag and their country. That's how you make things right. You go boy. I respectfully disagree with you .................110%. Warez

lord. No you're wrong. Slavery is not legal and has not been in 200 years. Underground illegal sex slavery etc does not pertain to this. Typical liberal spin. There were no problems until obama showed up. It's going to take a generation to cleanse this liberal brainwashing.
Not a liberal, just a libertarian that supports small government, more individual freedoms, entire Constitution (no cherry picking like you Republicans), and Capitalism. Speaking of Capitalism, I thought Republicans supported that? If so, why do they claim pro athletes are overpaid? In reality, they are grossly underpaid their true value. Could you imagine if guys like Lebron, Curry, Brady, etc were paid in an open market?

Let me guess, you were cool with cheering them on when Roethlisberger was raping women? But not coming out of a locker room?

The POTUS.

"Fire the sons of bitches."

Again, missing the point. There is no right to free speech without consequence. You can say or do what you want (within reason), but you have to be willing to accept the consequences. This could include people not liking you, no longer wanting to pay money to watch you play a game, being called an SOB by the POTUS, or being fired (I know for sure that I would be fired for much less conspicuous things).

DKxgT7-U8AEw58A.jpg

Not a liberal, just a libertarian that supports small government, more individual freedoms, entire Constitution (no cherry picking like you Republicans), and Capitalism. Speaking of Capitalism, I thought Republicans supported that? If so, why do they claim pro athletes are overpaid? In reality, they are grossly underpaid their true value. Could you imagine if guys like Lebron, Curry, Brady, etc were paid in an open market?
Lmao!!!smh

Prediction, ........It's all over now, teams will now stand for the anthem, lock arms, claim "unity", and owners will write a book titled, ....... "WHY WE LOST $$$".

Prediction, ........It's all over now, teams will now stand for the anthem, lock arms, claim "unity", and owners will write a book titled, ....... "WHY WE LOST $$$".

You're probably right...just like the "failing NY Times."

I get it. Make sure the public doesn't see the players (and owners) disrespect of the flag. Hide it and make it better. I get it. Warez

We never got past the Vietnam war. Divided country. Flag loving Asshats vs Jesus wannabes

You know I have refrained from making a comment on your stupid posts, but you are so overboard on this it isn't even funny. The ones filing millions of illegal/fake voting was on the democrat side.

That's not what the three main US Intelligence agencies says. Stop listening to Faux News.

Is there any point in argument? No. Empathy vs apathy. The bridge can't be built

Agree 100%. It's hilarious there are people who believe Russia and Putin "meddled" in the election. Anyone who asked around pre election would've realized the media predictions were wrong. Trump/pence signs everywhere. No Clinton signs anywhere. We knew if there were any "meddling", Clinton would've won.

Agree 100%. It's hilarious there are people who believe Russia and Putin "meddled" in the election. Anyone who asked around pre election would've realized the media predictions were wrong. Trump/pence signs everywhere. No Clinton signs anywhere. We knew if there were any "meddling", Clinton would've won.
Ah Oh, .... now you went and said it. Just when people people's attention had been diverted to a few 20 year old snot nosed football players turned into heroes by some. If it's not one thing it's another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT