ADVERTISEMENT

Never thought I would say this

nvEERs

All-Conference
Jan 3, 2008
The Steelers are dead to me. When I read what they did in Chicago, the hard hat, towel and very expensive walking stick came off the wall in my office and it went where all the rest of my Steeler gear was-in the trash. Lucky the trash comes Tuesday because they are full. The Rooneys, Tomlin, Steelers and NFL is dead to me.

The Steelers are dead to me. When I read what they did in Chicago, the hard hat, towel and very expensive walking stick came off the wall in my office and it went where all the rest of my Steeler gear was-in the trash. Lucky the trash comes Tuesday because they are full. The Rooneys, Tomlin, Steelers and NFL is dead to me.

I'm not a fan of any NFL team but I can fully appreciate with you are saying and I agree 100% with you. I'm all for free speech and even free will but, that was garbage.

BS

My understanding is that it was the owners decision so that the organization didn't have to deal with players kneeling, standing, etc. and all that other drama.

Seems like a good move to me.

I would have posted this right after it happened and not wait until after losing to the lowly Bears. But that's just me.

This is getting f*cking stupid.
First, the team all stood in the tunnel. So you’re not only misinformed, but you’re spreading lies.
Secondly, your forced and fake patriotism is laughable. Look in the stands at ANY sporting event in this country, outside of the service academies, and you’ll see half the people in the stands busy looking at their phones or talking to someone or scratching their ass during the anthem. The high handed self importance of all the people bitching and moaning about the anthem is already getting old.

Last edited:
You’re all f*cking stupid and pathetic.
First, the team all stood in the tunnel. So you’re not only misinformed, but you’re spreading lies.
Secondly, your forced and fake patriotism is laughable. Look in the stands at ANY sporting event in this country, outside of the service academies, and you’ll see half the people in the stands busy looking at their phones or talking to someone or scratching their ass during the anthem. The high handed self importance of all the people bitching and moaning about the anthem is already getting old.
From a Vietnam veteran, KUDOS WVU Brand.

You’re all f*cking stupid and pathetic.
No one attacked you so need to make your response so personal. This issue has people very worked up but it can be discussed without getting nasty.

Personally, I have always stood and will continue to stand for the National Anthem, so long as it is my choice to do so. I choose to stand because I want to and only because I want to. This is still America! The flag represents Freedom. The freedom to stand and salute, or the freedom to just simply do nothing. As to whether a team chooses to salute the flag has absolutely no impact on whether or not I like them as a team. If the Mountaineers all take a knee at the next game, I will be embarrassed, but will still pull for them with all of my heart. Jerry Jones is forcing the Cowboys to stand, and I think that is more wrong than giving them the choice. People should never be afraid to express there political views in this country, or we risk losing our freedom. Having said that, I will always stand every time the Anthem is played. I wonder how many people get up off their couches at home and hold their hands over their heart while it is being played?

My view: Standing for the National Anthem is not mandatory.
I stand for it, hold my hand over my heart and sing it.
But I'm not African-American, whose ancestors were brought to America on a slave ship, and mistreated and treated like non-persons (except when it came to counting voters, then they were 3/5 of a person who couldn't vote). I'd be pissed, too, if my ancestors were treated that way. And my ancestors were not on slave ships, but departed from Italy and Poland.

The First Amendment applies to everyone, whether we agree with them or not. They have a right, in making a statement, to kneel or raise a fist. Everyone else has a right to disagree, or stay away from the games, which NFL fans will not. They will just blow smoke in anger and then go back to watch their favorite teams. It's the nature of sports fans.

If you start deciding who does NOT have Free Speech rights, then we're all in trouble. That's how Hitler got into power. First the Jews, then anyone else who disagreed with him.

The First Amendment means someone I do NOT agree with has a right to voice his opinion, as long as -- as the Supreme Court ruled -- he/she does not yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.

Democracy is messy. So we have to let people we disagree with have their say, too, as long as it doesn't incite violence, as Trump's rhetoric did. Trump still has that right to stir up racial and ethnic hatred but then Trump, like every citizen, is responsible for what his free speech leads to. If it incites violence, then it's on the person whose speech incited the violence.

Personally, I have always stood and will continue to stand for the National Anthem, so long as it is my choice to do so. I choose to stand because I want to and only because I want to. This is still America! The flag represents Freedom. The freedom to stand and salute, or the freedom to just simply do nothing. As to whether a team chooses to salute the flag has absolutely no impact on whether or not I like them as a team. If the Mountaineers all take a knee at the next game, I will be embarrassed, but will still pull for them with all of my heart. Jerry Jones is forcing the Cowboys to stand, and I think that is more wrong than giving them the choice. People should never be afraid to express there political views in this country, or we risk losing our freedom. Having said that, I will always stand every time the Anthem is played. I wonder how many people get up off their couches at home and hold their hands over their heart while it is being played?
And KUDOS to you as well, CFE. In fact, to borrow part of a too often repeated phrase, "Mega Dittos".

Reactions: WVU-Brand

Exactly!!

Reactions: LAMountaineer
But I'm not African-American, whose ancestors were brought to America on a slave ship, and mistreated and treated like non-persons (except when it came to counting voters, then they were 3/5 of a person who couldn't vote). I'd be pissed, too, if my ancestors were treated that way. And my ancestors were not on slave ships, but departed from Italy and Poland.

The First Amendment applies to everyone, whether we agree with them or not. They have a right, in making a statement, to kneel or raise a fist. Everyone else has a right to disagree, or stay away from the games, which NFL fans will not. They will just blow smoke in anger and then go back to watch their favorite teams. It's the nature of sports fans.

If you start deciding who does NOT have Free Speech rights, then we're all in trouble. That's how Hitler got into power. First the Jews, then anyone else who disagreed with him.

The First Amendment means someone I do NOT agree with has a right to voice his opinion, as long as -- as the Supreme Court ruled -- he/she does not yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.

Democracy is messy. So we have to let people we disagree with have their say, too, as long as it doesn't incite violence, as Trump's rhetoric did. Trump still has that right to stir up racial and ethnic hatred but then Trump, like every citizen, is responsible for what his free speech leads to. If it incites violence, then it's on the person whose speech incited the violence.

Couldn't agree more!!

I don't even watch pro sports-except MMA. I'll admit I like fighting. I don't get or watch the NFL, NBA, MLB, NAPCAR, or NHL at all. And Soccer is a HECK NO I'd rather watch the latest film on the battered wives network--Lifetime.

I just have no passion for pro sports. Too corporate, too city, too much steroids and PEDs, and just didn't grow up watching it with any passion (except when the Intimidator was driving-rooted for anyone but him).

I can watch college football at any level though I prefer the P5 games. Within 5 mins I can find something to root for based on geography, style of offense, style of defense, who the coach is, or which conferences are playing. Plus the college game has surprises that keep you tuned in.

I wish the G5 schools would start playing spring football like was floated a few years back like the old USFL. I could have 6 months of college ball then.

Pro sports could all stop for whatever the reason and I wouldn't care.

The players are free to do as they wish and the NFL as a business orginization can allow or restrict such activities as they see fit. It's a free market system and the people can vote with their dollars and their eyes if they disagree with the actions of the organization and it's employees. So, watch if it doesnt bother you and ignore it if it does.

First, what lies did he spread? He didn't mention anything about where they did or didn't stand in his post. Although, as my tag suggests, I am a Steeler fan, I am embarrassed to be a Steeler fan today. Not coming out onto the field and acknowledge the anthem being played was pure chickenshit on their behalf.

I am sure the majority of players didn't want to come out and stand and rather than ownership taking control of their employees' (white, black, yellow, red it doesn't matter) behavior, they did this instead. Art Rooney Sr (RIP) is probably still rolling in his grave after today's events. This isn't "the Steeler way".....not by a long shot.

As far as your comment about the fans. I've been to hundreds of pro and college games. I would hazard at least 90% are engaged. The difference is the ones who aren't are just dumb. These players, in contrast, are using their visibility to create a political point where it isn't wanted by the vast majority of the people that literally are responsible for their livelihood...their fans. In addition, the fans aren't getting paid to be there and comply with the rules...the players are.

To use an example...what do you think would happen to me if I decided to show up to work late every day as a protest to black-on-black crime? I have a good idea how that would go.

So, I'm still a Steeler fan...but my patience for this will have its limit.

BTW.."your" =/= you're

Where did you see anyone say that they aren't entitled to free speech rights??????

Everyone has the right to free speech. NO ONE has the right to free speech WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE!

In this case, the Steelers got their free speech, and the consequence is that th OP is no longer going to support them.

As a Veteran, I will also find something else to do with my time. I'm finished watching rich limousine liberals make "political statements" about how bad this country is. If they don't like it, they can fire up their private jet and fly somewhere else. If I wanted liberal politics on Sunday, I'd watch the news. The NFL is dead to me (my free speech right)!

Oh, I don't know, I really don't look to a bunch of 20 year olds for guidance on moral / political issues or just about any issues for that matter. Still trying to figure out what the kneeling / sitting during the anthem stands for. Appears to be some type of big fat political football, that no one cares or thinks about when attending or watching a football game. Next week it may be "hands up don't sit".

Rarely are so many millionaires gathered in one place as when the players of 2 NFL teams meet for a game. I'm not sure some of those ancestors would see the problem today? While we likely have a long way to go in some eyes, this isn't the same country of 250, 150, or even of 50 years ago. Some things are better, some are worse. Only in 'America would we follow the first African-American president with the first reality TV president. Progress
It does make you wonder which way the democracy yo-yo will go in 2020. Maybe we should ask Putin who he'll elect next time.

It does make you wonder which way the democracy yo-yo will go in 2020. Maybe we should ask Putin who he'll elect next time.

No, no. We elected who we have. The idea of only believing half of what you see or hear and less of what you read, is lost today. If it's on the internet it must be true. Maybe everyone will stop and think more this time. As long as we don't have the same two candidates next time, we'll get someone else.

Reactions: dbolt4wvu
No, no. We elected who we have. The idea of only believing half of what you see or hear and less of what you read, is lost today. If it's on the internet it must be true. Maybe everyone will stop and think more this time. As long as we don't have the same two candidates next time, we'll get someone else.
After his 2016 success with thousands of Russians filing millions of fake news robots stuff, Putin will go ape-shit in 2020 so much that 2016 will seem like child's play. Now that he knows it works he'll have his puppets working 24/7 overwhelming the Internet with so much fake news that a bewildered electorate won't know which end is up. Sad time for democracy. We not only can't handle the truth; we can't even find it any more.

I stand and sing the anthem. Loudly. Don't care if anyone else does or not. I acknowledge the right of free speech, or in this case expression, of the NFL,NBA, or any other entertainers to do as they please. I will exercise my right to turn off the damn TV and let the advertisers waste their investment.

They are doing this so wrong. Using the national anthem to get your point across does not go over well the the majority. You would think someone in the NFL with a brain could figure out a better way.

If that means you'll stop posting about pittsberg on a WVU football board, I'm all for it.

If that means you'll stop posting about pittsberg on a WVU football board, I'm all for it.

Bye, bye Steelers. As a lifelong Steeler fan who was born and raised in Pittsburgh and still resides here all the Steeler players (with the exception of Alejandro Villanueva) can kiss my a$$.

Glad to see that the sales of the Villanueva game jerseys have skyrocketed. I'm so sick and tired of watching these overpaid, underachieving, spoiled, sometimes drug test failing, self centered fools.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are the real sports team that represent the city of Pittsburgh. Hey Steelers - now you can take a back seat with the Pirates. I hope you enjoy the view!

Reactions: WVU80ate
@ OP:
Worthless without photos. Let's see the photos showing you actually threw them in the trash.
Somehow I doubt that. I also doubt that you won't watch their games again.
But, I do see the point that you are upset at them.
Yes, it is free speech and they have a right under the Constitution to exercise it. Fine. Their exercise of free speech is just an opinion - you don't have to agree with it. But if it's true that the NFL has been paid since 2009 for players to be out there, then perhaps they should now refund that $ or stop the agreement to accept the $.

A walking stick... seriously? That's hard core right there.

Last edited:
What if I told you that at least one WVU players has taken a knee during the anthem?

What if I pointed out that we had basketball players do actions of protest last season, including our National Defensive Player of the Year?

Would yaw still support WVU?

What they do after they leave the university is on them. That is what I would say. While they are here, they will and shall follow the rules.

What they do after they leave the university is on them. That is what I would say. While they are here, they will and shall follow the rules.

What if I told you I was talking about CURRENT WVU players and you're too stupid to realize that?

Name calling is beneath you. Very sad dude.

That is up to the coaches and administration to deal with. The problem I have with the Steelers is that as a team and organization they made the call.

What if I told you I was talking about CURRENT WVU players and you're too stupid to realize that?

After his 2016 success with thousands of Russians filing millions of fake news robots stuff, Putin will go ape-shit in 2020 so much that 2016 will seem like child's play. Now that he knows it works he'll have his puppets working 24/7 overwhelming the Internet with so much fake news that a bewildered electorate won't know which end is up. Sad time for democracy. We not only can't handle the truth; we can't even find it any more.

You know I have refrained from making a comment on your stupid posts, but you are so overboard on this it isn't even funny. The ones filing millions of illegal/fake voting was on the democrat side.

The other difference is that WVU is my university. The steelers are a team that I have no ties to other than being a fan.

ADVERTISEMENT