ADVERTISEMENT

My update

Atreides

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Pittsburgh
Well...today i got the news. Another meeting...disciplinary....my boss and hers'. I expected it. I expect demotion this time...outside chance being Fired. Monday 5/10. I say I can't accept a demotion. I would take the early retirement. Firing might be better...

Well...today i got the news. Another meeting...disciplinary....my boss and hers'. I expected it. I expect demotion this time...outside chance being Fired. Monday 5/10. I say I can't accept a demotion. I would take the early retirement. Firing might be better...
Many of these situations, company "offers opportunity" for employee to resign and accept some severance or be
fired for cause.

Many of these situations, company "offers opportunity" for employee to resign and accept some severance or be
fired for cause.
At any rate, hope it turns out the way you desire. Good Luck!!!

Had the brief meeting. I received a short letter advising me that a meeting is being held at Human Resources on monday 2:00pm. Spoke privately to my boss afterward and basically this is progresive discipline....I can get a one day suspension without Pay...my union rep doesn't really offer my guidance. Just had this astonished look on her face. Part of me says go in and use it as an opportunity to improve your Game....I've bneen stubbornly refusing to play thee game, but maybe I have to. It will mean longer hours with homework...and the same stressors....but I think there are steps I can take to minimize them....I see my doctor tomorrow and plan to tell him what happenned, level with him about my five hours nightly of sleep, anxiety....etc...My health has really taken a dive this past year....My other option is to go in and fight about the workload...but then i will get asked if I want a demotion....or to retire....Thoughts? This is a government job...BTW

Had the brief meeting. I received a short letter advising me that a meeting is being held at Human Resources on monday 2:00pm. Spoke privately to my boss afterward and basically this is progresive discipline....I can get a one day suspension without Pay...my union rep doesn't really offer my guidance. Just had this astonished look on her face. Part of me says go in and use it as an opportunity to improve your Game....I've bneen stubbornly refusing to play thee game, but maybe I have to. It will mean longer hours with homework...and the same stressors....but I think there are steps I can take to minimize them....I see my doctor tomorrow and plan to tell him what happenned, level with him about my five hours nightly of sleep, anxiety....etc...My health has really taken a dive this past year....My other option is to go in and fight about the workload...but then i will get asked if I want a demotion....or to retire....Thoughts? This is a government job...BTW

What is it you do that they are dumping so much work on you? And why are they having to discipline you to begin with? Not meeting some quota of work? I'd suggest you play their game, keep your head down for now, then seek out other options.

Well...I am playing the Game....I made up my mind to get some medical help....get into shape....Change my quality of Life and up my Game....but....I will not go down without a battle....Simple. I'm in that magic window of being just under 60 and maxed on seniority....this all started almost two years ago....evaluations started declining....Workload multipled....I know what is happenning and I know at my age its happenning in a lot of places....to others or has....I am trying to look at it as" Opportunity."....not Defeat.

Not really....Right now I'm just utilizing my union's resources....if I need to go the legal route....I will.

Sounds like the anticipation of the meeting was worse than the actual. What are the hours you will be required to work under the new arrangement? Think you are taking a more positive approach and realistically, every day you invest will put you closer to retirement, Picture sounds better since you are going to look at your health and invest in your physical well being. Without real knowledge of the situation, it sounds very positive. You are going to your doctor for a sit down get some guidance of where a man of your age should be in mental and physical state. What advise does he give to make it through the next several years and happy retirement. You are going to your union, and they will probably tell you someone else has similar problems and here is what he is doing to overcome the emotional problem with the job. They will probably tell you others have been at a lower stage and survived. Don't forget your family as a resource and motivator. You can work together. Good luck to all of you.

Thanks. Its just a one day at a time thing now. Tomorrow I have that meeting....I will get a Letter which is being placed in my file. I will greave it....Greivance....and follow the work plan put forth. I willl continue efforts to get myself physically and mentally Fit. I will also keep looking for another job. A lot is just not going to get Better. I wasn't kidding about the stress and the craziness...every job has Some....Mine is no exaggeration....I'm on that slightly under 60 bubble....and topped out...in salary...so....I'm in the bullseye....

Thanks. Its just a one day at a time thing now. Tomorrow I have that meeting....I will get a Letter which is being placed in my file. I will greave it....Greivance....and follow the work plan put forth. I willl continue efforts to get myself physically and mentally Fit. I will also keep looking for another job. A lot is just not going to get Better. I wasn't kidding about the stress and the craziness...every job has Some....Mine is no exaggeration....I'm on that slightly under 60 bubble....and topped out...in salary...so....I'm in the bullseye....

Comparatively speaking, nobody knows what you're dealing with better than yours truly; FYI, I turned 59 last Friday. My last 12 months haven't been fun, either; I was re-org'd by the new owner of my long-time employer (18 years) in March 2015.

I was fortunate.....at least I thought I was fortunate.....to find something new (with a competitor) shortly afterward in May. But I got a phone call from my boss on a Friday afternoon in mid-August that he was lowering the boom on me because "it just wasn't working out" (his opinion not mine). Of course, deep down inside, I knew he and I were of a different species from the day I first met him.....but as an unemployed individual, could I be "blamed" for having taken the position to begin with ??

Anyway, so I was out of work again at Labor Day with zero prospects and no medical benefits (not good considering I'm an insulin user). And at 58 years old, I was looking for another new corporate position in Q4; a situation some distance from ideal. Then, just before Christmas, I came across a possible opportunity (listed on Indeed.com, of all places).

Happily.....and incredibly fortunately.....I was back to work the first of February. I was equally fortunate to have joined one of the best companies in my industry.......though at a fairly notable decrease in salary (and loss of my past fleet vehicle)......with a workforce where I'm almost the exact median age. So all things considered.....and given the overall circumstances.....I resurfaced probably about well as I could have hoped.

I don't claim to understand your personal or professional situation beyond what you've posted here, and my situation obviously has no parallel to what you're going through. Still, use my story to recognize that everything isn't necessarily all doom and gloom. That's because, at the end of the day, the only one you can truly affect is yourself.....and only you can manage how you react to the negativity. And believe me, I'm not judging you.....I spent enough time judging myself when I was on the sidelines. I'm simply calling it as I see it.

For the record, I have $50K worth of student loans coming due now that my two kids have just graduated. Please consider that when you personally evaluate the size and weight of the anchor currently around your neck at your age. Things indeed may not be quite as bad as you think.

And, allow me to wholeheartedly recommend you take whatever opportunity this situation presents to improve your physical self, which I regrettably did not do while I was out.

Thanks....got another letter placed in my file...More issues on the way. Circling my wagons. More to come.

Last edited:
I'm looking also....I don't see this is Gloom and Doom. I gave 24 years....I had a Good experience and i helped a lot of people.....I see where this is heading. Everyday UI get some level of harrassment from my boss...and second guessing....In a month or so we get new guidelines and benchmarks...and my workload remains Huge....I could make it until july 1 or be out sooner...Evaluation in june....I sense being set up to fail....I keep getting the refrain "I'm not out to get you..." from my boss who is older than me....I might add. Ideally, I get a new job and I give notice. That's what I want....I can't stay there, and I am not wanted.

I'm looking also....I don't see this is Gloom and Doom. I gave 24 years....I had a Good experience and i helped a lot of people.....I see where this is heading. Everyday UI get some level of harrassment from my boss...and second guessing....In a month or so we get new guidelines and benchmarks...and my workload remains Huge....I could make it until july 1 or be out sooner...Evaluation in june....I sense being set up to fail....I keep getting the refrain "I'm not out to get you..." from my boss who is older than me....I might add. Ideally, I get a new job and I give notice. That's what I want....I can't stay there, and I am not wanted.

To fire you, they basically have to develop a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) and meet with you periodically and assess where you are and how you are doing. And to fire you, they have to show that they met with you and informed you that your performance is not improving.
There are generally two areas of your job criteria; performance and conduct. It is difficult, not impossible, to get rid of someone based on poor performance. They have to go through the process previously mentioned. To fire you based on poor conduct is much easier; but they still must document it. They usually place you on a probationary period. Show up for work on time, leave on time, take leave when appropriate, follow your union agreement about notifications, etc. Supervisors are instructed to behave in a professional manner and not show favoritism nor any adversarial tendencies when they have an employee on probation or a PIP. If your supervisor is intentionally making life for your rough, document it as best you can. Documentation is very important, even if it is just your notes documenting what happened on particular dates. Video would be excellent, put an I-phone in your shirt pocket and turn the recorder on. If you get him or her on video giving you a hard time, you are golden.
If you end up leaving the government and you have at least three years of service, it is fairly easy to return if you choose to do so in the future. Good luck.

Not to be too negative here, but is it perhaps your employer is pissed at you all because you post on a message board regularly when you may be working on something? Employers tend to frown on that.....;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT