ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Mountaineers Welcome Pitt for Backyard Brawl

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (May 2, 2023) – The No. 12 West Virginia baseball team brings its eight-game winning streak back to Wagener Field at Monongalia County Ballpark on Wednesday for the Backyard Brawl. First pitch against the Panthers is set for 6:30 p.m.

The game will be available to stream on Big 12 Now on ESPN+ and can also be heard on the Mountaineer Sports Network baseball radio network, including the flagship station 100.9 Jack FM in Morgantown, and on the Varsity Network app. Andrew Caridi will bring you all the play-by-action.

Promotions for the game include Baseball Bingo as well a replica t-shirt giveaway for the first 300 fans.

The Mountaineers are currently 33-11 after sweeping Baylor on the road over the weekend. It was the first time in program history that WVU had swept a Big 12 opponent on the road and the first conference road sweep since taking three at UConn in 2009.

In the latest rankings, West Virginia is the highest it has ever been, reaching No. 11 in the Baseball America poll and No. 12 in the NCAA-recognized D1Baseball poll.

Sophomore JJ Wetherholt was named Big 12 Player of the Week for the second time this season after hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three home runs, a triple, nine RBI, and eight runs scored while putting up a 1.726 OPS. With his two stolen bases on Sunday against the Bears, he became the first WVU player to ever have at least 10 home runs and 30 stolen bases. In fact, he is the only WVU player to ever have 10 home runs and 20 stolen bases.

Graduate student Blaine Traxel was named Big 12 Pitcher of the Week for the second time as he threw a complete-game shutout against Baylor with six strikeouts. He was also named NCBWA National Co-Pitcher of the Week.

The Mountaineers took the first edition of the Backyard Brawl this season when they defeated Pitt, 9-4, at PNC Park on April 19.

Pitt enters the game with a 20-21 record after sweeping California over the weekend and currently sit at No. 70 in the RPI.

Kyle Hess leads the team with a .333 batting average while Noah Martinez has 42 RBI and CJ Funk has a team-high 12 home runs.

Erubiel Candelario will get the start against the Mountaineers and is currently 2-1 with a 5.80 ERA

Against WVU at PNC Park, Candelario threw 3.1 innings in relief and allowed just one run while striking out two. Nash Bryan leads the team with five saves.

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow @WVUBaseball on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (May 2, 2023) – The No. 12 West Virginia baseball team brings its eight-game winning streak back to Wagener Field at Monongalia County Ballpark on Wednesday for the Backyard Brawl. First pitch against the Panthers is set for 6:30 p.m.

The game will be available to stream on Big 12 Now on ESPN+ and can also be heard on the Mountaineer Sports Network baseball radio network, including the flagship station 100.9 Jack FM in Morgantown, and on the Varsity Network app. Andrew Caridi will bring you all the play-by-action.

Promotions for the game include Baseball Bingo as well a replica t-shirt giveaway for the first 300 fans.

The Mountaineers are currently 33-11 after sweeping Baylor on the road over the weekend. It was the first time in program history that WVU had swept a Big 12 opponent on the road and the first conference road sweep since taking three at UConn in 2009.

In the latest rankings, West Virginia is the highest it has ever been, reaching No. 11 in the Baseball America poll and No. 12 in the NCAA-recognized D1Baseball poll.

Sophomore JJ Wetherholt was named Big 12 Player of the Week for the second time this season after hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three home runs, a triple, nine RBI, and eight runs scored while putting up a 1.726 OPS. With his two stolen bases on Sunday against the Bears, he became the first WVU player to ever have at least 10 home runs and 30 stolen bases. In fact, he is the only WVU player to ever have 10 home runs and 20 stolen bases.

Graduate student Blaine Traxel was named Big 12 Pitcher of the Week for the second time as he threw a complete-game shutout against Baylor with six strikeouts. He was also named NCBWA National Co-Pitcher of the Week.

The Mountaineers took the first edition of the Backyard Brawl this season when they defeated Pitt, 9-4, at PNC Park on April 19.

Pitt enters the game with a 20-21 record after sweeping California over the weekend and currently sit at No. 70 in the RPI.

Kyle Hess leads the team with a .333 batting average while Noah Martinez has 42 RBI and CJ Funk has a team-high 12 home runs.

Erubiel Candelario will get the start against the Mountaineers and is currently 2-1 with a 5.80 ERA

Against WVU at PNC Park, Candelario threw 3.1 innings in relief and allowed just one run while striking out two. Nash Bryan leads the team with five saves.

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow @WVUBaseball on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Mr. Vernon, not sure if allowed but when there is a primary network/radio station carrying a WVU game and it is listed in the message here, can the link to that site be added to the message?

Mr. Vernon, not sure if allowed but when there is a primary network/radio station carrying a WVU game and it is listed in the message here, can the link to that site be added to the message?
One of the things I really like about ESPN+ is that I can get live video broadcasts of WVU Football, Men’s BB, Women’s BB, and baseball.

One of the things I really like about ESPN+ is that I can get live video broadcasts of WVU Football, Men’s BB, Women’s BB, and baseball.
Thank you for sharing what you like about ESPN. Maybe what you'd like others to know about your feelings of ESPN has value for the board.

And thanks again for taking the time to respond. It does have meaning. You may think your feelings are important for the board to know and maybe you feel good by your post. There are people out there like yourself with a driven desire to interject onto others how they feel. It's one of many new purposes of a message board by people desiring attention from others. This is an emotional moment for you and not a cognitive one, and I don't want this to be lost to you, so maybe you'll feel better in this moment now having others read your response to my post. It is one way you may seek inclusion and emotional relief.

I am in the healing arts, treat many people with ailments, both physical and mental, and I want you to be made more complete by this experience. It's a journey so keep seeking self-understanding as you age. You'll get there if you keep trying.

Thank you for your contribution herein. Your post speaks of the collective intent of your other posts, to hurt others. But honestly, I say what most providers say to a patient like you after the visit about something like this,..............I don't really give a shit.................but thanks for taking the time in placing yourself in this situation nonetheless. Your need to be seen and any thoughts of message board importance are expressed by your personality type and character as by the response in your reaction my post. Thank you again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT