ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Men’s Basketball Italy Summer Tour Postponed

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (July 7, 2023) – The West Virginia University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has postponed men’s basketball’s previously scheduled Italy Summer Tour until next summer.

The Mountaineers were set to begin practice for the tour later in July before embarking on the 10-day, three-game trip on July 31. With the coaching transition and roster changes that have transpired since June, the Athletics Department worked with trip organizer Complete Sport Management to defer the tour to the summer of 2024.

“For the trip to be most beneficial to our program, it made more sense to defer the Italy summer trip to next year,” interim head coach Josh Eilert said. “A lot of factors went into the decision, but it became clear that getting our roster finalized and continuing our workout schedule here in Morgantown was the best course of action.”

West Virginia will play 18 regular season home games and an exhibition at the WVU Coliseum in 2023-24. The Mountaineers open the regular season against Missouri State on Nov. 6. The nonconference home slate is highlighted by matchups with St. John's as part of the Big East-Big 12 Battle and Pitt.

WVU men's basketball season ticket holders can renew their season tickets and parking for the upcoming campaign online at WVUGAME.com. Season ticket sales for new orders will begin in the coming weeks.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and mofo
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (July 7, 2023) – The West Virginia University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has postponed men’s basketball’s previously scheduled Italy Summer Tour until next summer.

The Mountaineers were set to begin practice for the tour later in July before embarking on the 10-day, three-game trip on July 31. With the coaching transition and roster changes that have transpired since June, the Athletics Department worked with trip organizer Complete Sport Management to defer the tour to the summer of 2024.

“For the trip to be most beneficial to our program, it made more sense to defer the Italy summer trip to next year,” interim head coach Josh Eilert said. “A lot of factors went into the decision, but it became clear that getting our roster finalized and continuing our workout schedule here in Morgantown was the best course of action.”

West Virginia will play 18 regular season home games and an exhibition at the WVU Coliseum in 2023-24. The Mountaineers open the regular season against Missouri State on Nov. 6. The nonconference home slate is highlighted by matchups with St. John's as part of the Big East-Big 12 Battle and Pitt.

WVU men's basketball season ticket holders can renew their season tickets and parking for the upcoming campaign online at WVUGAME.com. Season ticket sales for new orders will begin in the coming weeks.
Smart.

Reactions: mofo and WVUBRU
I wonder if that means more guys are entering the portal and they could not justify it at all! ??
Too much uncertainty with the roster but it’s not because of any losses they think are coming. They’re more focused on bringing in new players and getting them settled.

I suggested this yesterday on the Blue Lot. The most important thing to remember is you can only go every four years so you need to make the most of it.

Reactions: AlmostHeaven2021
Bad decision for this roster is bad. This team could use the extra practices and games to learn how to play together before the season started. I think it will definitely be better for Coach to postpone if he is thinking a year or two down the road. However, there aren't any guarantees that he is going to be here then. If WVU is "All In" for this year, they should have went to Italy. Just sayin...

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
Bad decision for this roster is bad. This team could use the extra practices and games to learn how to play together before the season started. I think it will definitely be better for Coach to postpone if he is thinking a year or two down the road. However, there aren't any guarantees that he is going to be here then. If WVU is "All In" for this year, they should have went to Italy. Just sayin...
They probably could have used it for morale too. I agree. There are no guarantees for coach beyond this season, get as many games in as you can. Hell, maybe a trip to Italy gets a few more guys on board quickly.

I wonder if that means more guys are entering the portal and they could not justify it at all! ??
Or more guys are in the portal that want to come here and coaches need to be seen. That and the school is in severe liberal debt thanks to Gee.

Disagree. These trips can also be damaging as much as they are helpful. They can bond and grow here together just as well as some foreign country.

Remember Gee has bankrupted the school and practically destroyed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT