ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Mark Kellogg Named WVU Women’s Basketball Head Coach

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Morgantown, W.Va. – West Virginia University Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker has named Mark Kellogg as the seventh women's basketball head coach in the program's history.

Kellogg is the sixth winningest active Division I women's basketball coach in the country by winning percentage and brings a 445-120 (.788) career record to Morgantown. He has spent the last eight seasons (2015-23) at Stephen F. Austin where he compiled a 195-55 (.780) mark with seven consecutive seasons of 23 wins or more.

"Mark Kellogg is an established winner who has made a name for himself by building championship programs and preparing his student-athletes to be leaders on and off the court," Baker said. "He has had tremendous success at every stop along his coaching career journey and has done so with great integrity.

"What became clear to our search committee was that Mark possesses the work ethic, passion and character traits that will resonate with all West Virginians and the student-athletes in our women's basketball program. Mark and his wife, Trisha, along with their children Camden and Kayli will make outstanding additions to our community, campus and state."

Kellogg's list of accomplishments at Stephen F. Austin are endless. He led the Ladyjacks to six straight postseason appearances, two regular season conference championships and two tournament championships along with Southland and then WAC Conference Coach of the Year honors. In the past six years, Stephen F. Austin has been the second winningest women's basketball program in the state of Texas, and Kellogg has guided SFA to its highest NET and RPI rankings in school history.

In the last five postseasons not affected by COVID, the Ladyjacks appeared in two NCAA tournaments and three WNITs. At SFA, his Southland and WAC conference mark was 120-22 (.845) and his overall career conference mark stands at 274-57 (.828) in 18 previous seasons as a head coach.

Prior to Stephen F. Austin, Kellogg spent two seasons at West Texas A&M where he compiled a 62-6 record and led the Lady Buffs to a Division II runner-up finish in 2014 and an Elite Eight appearance in 2015. His teams won the regular season and tournament championship of the Lone Star Conference in both seasons, and finished No. 2 and No. 6 in the final WBCA national rankings.

Before West Texas A&M, Kellogg spent the 2012-13 season as head coach at Northwest Missouri State where he increased the school's women's basketball win total by nine games from the previous season. He went 15-13 in the lone season and finished No. 8 in the MIAA Conference after being picked to finish No. 14 in the preseason.

Kellogg started his head coaching career at Division II Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. In seven seasons, he guided the Skyhawks to five straight NCAA tournament appearances and won the first postseason game in the school's history. He compiled a 173-46 record (.789), winning four conference championships with a Sweet 16 appearance in 2009 and a Division II runner-up finish in 2010.

"We are thrilled to join the Mountaineer family and are excited to get to Morgantown," Kellogg said. "I want to thank President Gordon Gee and Wren Baker for the opportunity to continue the tradition of West Virginia women's basketball. We will work tirelessly every day to build a program that competes for championships with quality student-athletes who will make all of West Virginia proud."

Kellogg got his start in coaching in 1998, when he served as a graduate assistant men's basketball coach for two years at West Texas A&M. In 2001, he moved to Montana State as assistant women's basketball coach and helped the Bearcats to Big Sky Championships in 2002 and 2003. He coordinated the offensive strategy for the team in 2005 before taking on his first women's basketball head coaching assignment at Fort Lewis College.

He graduated from Austin College in Sherman, Texas in 1998 with a bachelor's degree in communications and physical education and earned his master's degree in sport and exercise science from West Texas A&M in 2000.

Kellogg and his wife, Trisha, are the parents of a son (Camden) and a daughter (Kayli).

Kellogg Year-by-Year:
Year School Record Conf. Finish

2023 Stephen F. Austin 27-7 15-3 WNIT Second Round
2022 Stephen F. Austin 28-5 17-1 WAC Tourn. Champions/NCAA First Round
2021 Stephen F. Austin 24-3 14-0 Southland Tourn. Champions/ NCAA First Round
2020 Stephen F. Austin 23-6 16-4 2nd Southland Conference/postseason cancelled
2019 Stephen F. Austin 25-7 16-2 WNIT First Round
2018 Stephen F. Austin 25-7 16-2 WNIT First Round
2017 Stephen F. Austin 25-8 14-4 WBI Tournament
2016 Stephen F. Austin 18-12 12-6 Southland Conference Quarterfinal
2015 West Texas A&M 30-3 15-1 LSC Champions/Elite Eight
2014 West Texas A&M 32-3 15-1 LSC Champions/ NCAA Runner-Up
2013 NW Missouri St. 15-13 8-10 MIAA Conference Quarterfinal
2012 Fort Lewis College 26-5 19-3 RMAC Tourn. Champions/NCAA Second Round
2011 Fort Lewis College 28-3 20-2 RMAC Tourn. Champions/NCAA First round
2010 Fort Lewis College 35-4 18-1 RMAC Champions/NCAA Runner-Up
2009 Fort Lewis College 28-4 18-1 RMAC Champions/NCAA Sweet 16
2008 Fort Lewis College 26-4 18-1 RMAC Champions/ NCAA First Round
2007 Fort Lewis College 14-13 11-8 RMAC Quarterfinal
2006 Fort Lewis College 16-13 12-7 RMAC Semifinal
TOTALS: 445-120 274-57

The Mark Kellogg File
Hometown: Richardson, Texas
Colleges: Austin College (1998) West Texas A&M (2000)
Family: Trisha (wife), Camden (son) and Kayli (daughter)

Coaching Experience
2015-Present: Stephen F. Austin | Head Coach
2013-15: West Texas A&M | Head Coach
2012-13: Northwest Missouri State | Head Coach
2005-12: Fort Lewis College | Head Coach
2001-05: Montana State | Assistant Coach
1998-2000: West Texas A&M | Graduate Assistant Men's Coach

Accomplishments
• Six consecutive postseason appearances - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
• Seven consecutive 23-win seasons - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
• 2022 WAC Coach of the Year (Stephen F. Austin)
• 2021 Southland Coach of the Year (Stephen F. Austin)
• 2014 Lone Star Conference Coach of the Year (West Texas A&M)
• 2014 Captain U National Coach of the Year
• 2014, 2015 WBCA Region 6 Coach of the Year (West Texas A&M)
• 2010 RMAC Coach of the Year (Fort Lewis College)
• 2010, 2011 WBCA Regional Coach of the Year (Fort Lewis College)
• 445-120 overall record as Head Coach
• 274-57 overall conference record as Head Coach

By the Numbers
0 - Losing Seasons
1 - WAC Conference Regular Season Title
1 - WAC Conference Tournament Title
1 - Southland Conference Tournament Title
2 - Lone Star Conference Regular Season titles
2 - Lone Star Conference Tournament Championships
2 - RMAC tournament Championships
4 - RMAC Regular Season titles
6 - Coach of the Year Awards
9 - NCAA Tournament Appearances
12 - 25+ win seasons
18 – Winning Seasons
274 - Conference Victories
445 – Overall victories
.783 - Winning Percentage
.825 - Conference Winning Percentage

2023-24 New Season Ticket Deposits Now Available:
Join Coach Kellogg and secure your seats in the WVU Coliseum for West Virginia women's basketball. Place your deposit now on new 2023-24 women's basketball season tickets for just $20 online at WVUGAME.com. Customers who place a deposit for season tickets now will be able to select seats in late summer before general public sales begin. This deposit is for new season tickets only. All 2022-23 season ticket holders will receive renewal information in the coming months.

I understand Stimpy trying to hype this shit up, but….

“Kellogg's list of accomplishments at Stephen F. Austin are endless.”

Wait…what? Geno Auriemma list of accomplishments are pretty much endlesss. John Wooden? Yup.

This dude?
go away gtfo GIF

I understand Stimpy trying to hype this shit up, but….

“Kellogg's list of accomplishments at Stephen F. Austin are endless.”

Wait…what? Geno Auriemma list of accomplishments are pretty much endlesss. John Wooden? Yup.

This dude?
go away gtfo GIF
Most professional post ever with taking shit out of context.

I’m pretty sure you need to look up what “out of context” means. It’s pretty hard to call something “out of context” when it’s the first sentence in it’s own paragraph.

Its the main subject for that paragraph! How in the f#$k can my directly quoting the main subject of a paragraph be out of f#$king context!?!

Its straight up hyperbole because Stimpy is trying to hype up pulling a lower division HC instead of from a bigger program. Just admit it.

Grabbing a lower division success is always a crapshoot. Neal Brown, for example, had a remarkable record at Troy in Alabama but has the worst losing percentage for a WVU coach in 43 years! Don't blame WVU for hiring him. Just for extending his contract when it was obvious it wasn't working. Look, no one wants my beloved alma mater to win in every sport more than me, but my 20 years of sportswriting expertise won't let me not look at what I'm seeing. I hope I'm wrong and Neal Brown goes undefeated and everyone on here saves this and takes shots at me. I'll be happy if it happens. But I don't see it happening. But I got March Madness wrong, along with the rest of America, so I do make mistakes. Don't we all?

Grabbing a lower division success is always a crapshoot. Neal Brown, for example, had a remarkable record at Troy in Alabama but has the worst losing percentage for a WVU coach in 43 years! Don't blame WVU for hiring him. Just for extending his contract when it was obvious it wasn't working. Look, no one wants my beloved alma mater to win in every sport more than me, but my 20 years of sportswriting expertise won't let me not look at what I'm seeing. I hope I'm wrong and Neal Brown goes undefeated and everyone on here saves this and takes shots at me. I'll be happy if it happens. But I don't see it happening. But I got March Madness wrong, along with the rest of America, so I do make mistakes. Don't we all?
Yes, but as I recall, you are only wrong "once in a zillion times."

• Haha
Reactions: KingCoal
I’m pretty sure you need to look up what “out of context” means. It’s pretty hard to call something “out of context” when it’s the first sentence in it’s own paragraph.

Its the main subject for that paragraph! How in the f#$k can my directly quoting the main subject of a paragraph be out of f#$king context!?!

Its straight up hyperbole because Stimpy is trying to hype up pulling a lower division HC instead of from a bigger program. Just admit it.

Regardless, is it really worth getting worked up for the coach of the women's basketball team? I know I am supposed to feign care and act accordingly in perfunctory fashion lest I be labeled some kind of monster. I'd save your energy and ire for the sports you are most invested in and statistically this is not likely one if them based upon the typical attendance.

Reactions: I.M.Right
Regardless, is it really worth getting worked up for the coach of the women's basketball team? I know I am supposed to feign care and act accordingly in perfunctory fashion lest I be labeled some kind of monster. I'd save your energy and ire for the sports you are most invested in and statistically this is not likely one if them based upon the typical attendance.
Wonder if he's any good at coaching men's teams?

Typical reply from a troll with anger issues. Too easy to real in. You made a comparison to UCONN coach who wasn't even mentioned.

Nothing wrong with the AD or fans recognizing another's accomplishments especially after hiring said person. Take your WVU hate and **** off clown.

He's coaching the women's team not the NBA Lakers dumbass.

Typical reply from a troll with anger issues. Too easy to real in. You made a comparison to UCONN coach who wasn't even mentioned.

Nothing wrong with the AD or fans recognizing another's accomplishments especially after hiring said person. Take your WVU hate and **** off clown.

He's coaching the women's team not the NBA Lakers dumbass.
Your lack of fundamental knowledge is annoying.

7.5 more years gone. Dude your going to die soon. Try praying.
What a piece of $hit you are to post something like that. People like you are why I stopped posting on here. In fact, Rarely ever even read the crap on this board anymore.

What a piece of $hit you are to post something like that. People like you are why I stopped posting on here. In fact, Rarely ever even read the crap on this board anymore.

Judge not least ye be judged.

You think this clown hasn't said the same then you need to read some more. **** off.

I frankly don't care how women's teams do. Have never watched them play. Sports are more of a manly thing anyway. It's unbecoming of women to play sports.

I frankly don't care how women's teams do. Have never watched them play. Sports are more of a manly thing anyway. It's unbecoming of women to play sports.
Well there are now men pretending to be women playing women's sports.

Case closed pappy.
I'm done going back and forth with you after this. But if you think someone saying a behavior, etc. will take 7.5 years off your life versus "you're going to die soon" is the same thing, you're just kidding yourself just to justify an ignorant and mean remark. And I wouldn't bet on me being a liberal if I were you. Where you got that from is beyond me but i guess it comes from people who are up against it try pulling crap out of their a$$ just to sound forceful or something. I'm done with this.

I'm done going back and forth with you after this. But if you think someone saying a behavior, etc. will take 7.5 years off your life versus "you're going to die soon" is the same thing, you're just kidding yourself just to justify an ignorant and mean remark. And I wouldn't bet on me being a liberal if I were you. Where you got that from is beyond me but i guess it comes from people who are up against it try pulling crap out of their a$$ just to sound forceful or something. I'm done with this.
Again, put him on Ignore. Works wonders for me!

If you were done why reply? People will die soon and some will die later.

I've BEEN told several times by your new friend Clown Forever (CFE) I don't have any years left to subtract and will die young.

Talk about ignorant remarks. Read what you write.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT