ADVERTISEMENT

LONG TERM

Volatility

Senior
Jun 27, 2018
Charleston WV
www.equitysciences.com
A few years ago just before Neal Brown was hired(but after DH left), I was curious about the length of time it usually takes a new staff to turn a program around. The two most obvious cases that immediately came to mind were Rich Rod & Dabo Swinney. Both didnt win thei 1st major bowl game until their 5th year, Dabo didnt win his 1st Championship until his 9th year. Clemson was also FAR better positioned compared to WVU when NB was hired, as Dabo inherited a talented & experienced roster and Clemson was recruiting in the 18 - 25 range pretty consistently before he was hired. Clemson is also in the upper portion of thick talent country, at one point South Carolina had more players in the NFL then any other state, not sure if thats still the case today or not, but my point between SC, NC, VA, Tenn, & GA Clemson is well positioned, not to mention its actually a beautiful campus in a really nice part part of SC.

Looking at Brown's record and his philosophy, I do think its a winning strategy that will work in WV. I also like the approach of playing complimentary football, which is when WVU had an edge, as we played good on both sides of the ball.

WVU's roster was the lowest rated, least talented & least experienced, then the last 20+ years when Brown was hired. Its why Brown heavily relied on players from the 2018 class, the only class DH recruited decently in the last 4-5 years. These were RedShirt Freshmen, and now they are Juniors, but one reason why we still see a young team is because the young talent coming in, is better then what was here. So while the upside is much higher, we are experiencing the typical growing pains in playing younger(but talented) players. Which has never been a recipe for success at WVU. Every good team through WVU's history had a majority of upperclassmen on the field. That is still not the case after 3 years, because the talent that was here does not offer the ROI as the younger players coming in.

A positive sign NB & staff are doing well recruiting players, which is absolutely critical.

That said, while I do agree with NB strategy of complimentary ball, and its obvious he's still extremely restricted in what types of offensive schemes he can deploy, as they are still dealing with serious limitations in critical positions, & a young OL to boot.

That said, HS offensive players want to go where they will be able to put up good stats. A high powered offense helps attract other high-end HS recruits. The one concern I have, is NB's conservativeness may eventually have a negative impact on his ability to recruit. That said, its to early to tell, cause the conservative strategy could be the best strategy at the present simply due to talent & skillset limitations.

Scoring 13-18 points a game wont cut it, and wont do him any favors attracting high-end game breaking home-run style of players. Lets hope Greene or Crowder develop quickly to reduce those limitations, along with an older OL, so our offense can put up respectable numbers.

Ive heard many people say both here and online they dont think Greene is the answer.... That may be true, but its way to early to tell from him. Perhaps if his 1st year wasnt cut short, but hes just a redshirt freshmen, and having an Elite 11 arm + quick feet, I personally think he just needs a bit more time to develop+mature, moreso on the mental side of the game. We also know this offense is not specifically designed for Greene. Brown said as much in an interview, saying its difficult to install two completely different offenses, so we have an offense created for Doege, with minor adjustments for Greene. So it would be a flawed perspective to assume Greene wont become a quality QB at WVU. He certainly has the intangibles, it seems like he just needs a bit more time. Fans are not known to be Patient, but anything of real quality takes time. Players dont become great overnight, it usually takes a QB an entire year under center before they find their rhythm.

Much like how our JUCO DB's ALWAYS perform far better their second year.... Well, Greene hasnt even started a full game yet and we already have people thinking hes a bust, playing in an offense not specific to him, his skillsets, & pros+cons. His height is not an issue, most QB's are shorter then OL, not to mention how many short QBs do well both in college & NFL.

Granted, concepts deployed now are based on this teams roster, weaknesses, limitations, etc.... Lets just hope a few players develop quickly so a lack of productivity does not negatively impact the staff's ability to attract high-end talent for the 23 & 24 classes.

When the time comes we are not as limited, Brown will need to learn when to be more aggressive to account for bad plays, TO's, etc, to put the game away... Brown did manage to beat LSU, Nebraska, & almost beat Clemson at TROY.... So he deserves the 5 - 6 years to implement his foundation, as things are more competitive at the P5 level, and considering his starting point, I still believe Brown is the right man to take this program where we want to be, and achieve realistic expectations, its just going to require patience on our part, and Brown will need to:

1. Improve Roster Talent (20,21,22,23)
2. Develop them (20 + 2 years) (21+ 2 years) (22 + 2 years) (23+ 2 years)
3. Get them experienced 22+1year 23+1year 24+1year 25+1year

2020 class peak performance = Seasons: second half of 2022 & 2023-2025
2021 class peak performance = Seasons: second half of 2023 & 2024-2026
2022 class peak performance = Seasons: second half of 2024 & 2025-2027
2023 class peak performance = Seasons: second half of 2025 & 2026-2028

For the types of players WVU historically recruit, for the majority, they offer peak performance (high impact) in their Junior & Senior years, like most players in sports, they get better as they get older. Unlike programs like Bama that recruit high-end 4 & 5 star blue-chip players that are high-impact their Freshmen & Soph years, then leave early for NFL.

Look at Mac Jones..... Mac Jones, sit behind two "Blue Chip" Heisman caliber QB's, for 3 years and only started 2 seasons. His 1st season as starter was drastically lower then his second season as starter. Thats having the opportunity to develop for 3 years.. under normal conditions.

Thats also on a offense with Blue-chip talent at EVERY position and 2 deep, with a quality staff, facilities, & resources...... The very best of scenarios, and his 1st season was nothing compared to his second season. My point, it usually takes 1 full season, even with 1-2 seasons to mature+learn as a backup.

So to think Greene wont be a great QB is a very premature assumption. Lets hope it happens in a timely manner so we dont continue to see a lck of offensive productivity that may/could negatively impact talent acquisition, which is our primary solution to ANY staff doing well.

We have to understand time to make course corrections is a variable, that is dependent on the magnitude of change required. Considering the starting point, and using recruiting based expectations, Brown and this staff are very much outperforming with lets be frank, a pretty dire roster(at certain positions).... Its definitely improving, just a bit young... So while we all see bad losses, like Texas Tech, or subtle issues that if resolve would have resulted in WIN, we must realize being "Close" to wins is part of going from absolutely horrible to very good.

Thats not to say we dont ask tough questions, or hold the staff accountable for potential issues, bad decisions, etc...

I dont think Ive ever came across another WVU so close to being 1-4 or 5-0, just a few critical plays either way we could be undefeated or just with a single Win. Its probably a statistical oddity for sure...

We all understand this team has talent & experience issues, that we also know Brown is resolving. Lets give him time to get that talent developed and see what he can do under normal circumstances. We gave Dana H 8 years, considering what he left Brown, Neal deserves 5-6 years before we seriously discuss looking elsewhere. Replacing staffs every 3-4 years does not work, we have seen that happen time and time again. The fanbases are so impatient and put pressure on the AD, and they remain in Loserville for perpetuity...

Some of these Game Management issues I hear people talking about, there are a couple mistakes that Brown admitted to, but Brown's game management has been pretty good, aside from a couple recent mistakes, and we are all not immune to making them. "Neal Brown is playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers" an announcer made during a game because of Brown's insightfulness in his game management. A bad game, or a couple mistakes is not indicative of a bad coach. IT happens to the best of them.

My prediction based on this roster, we see this team & offense take a massive step forward in the second half of next season(2022). Because Greene is getting his toes in the water a little this year, it should help reduce the time it takes to find his timing next year, so mid-season is when I think it will come together with an offense specifically customized to Greene's Pros+Cons.

A few years ago just before Neal Brown was hired(but after DH left), I was curious about the length of time it usually takes a new staff to turn a program around. The two most obvious cases that immediately came to mind were Rich Rod & Dabo Swinney. Both didnt win thei 1st major bowl game until their 5th year, Dabo didnt win his 1st Championship until his 9th year. Clemson was also FAR better positioned compared to WVU when NB was hired, as Dabo inherited a talented & experienced roster and Clemson was recruiting in the 18 - 25 range pretty consistently before he was hired. Clemson is also in the upper portion of thick talent country, at one point South Carolina had more players in the NFL then any other state, not sure if thats still the case today or not, but my point between SC, NC, VA, Tenn, & GA Clemson is well positioned, not to mention its actually a beautiful campus in a really nice part part of SC.

Looking at Brown's record and his philosophy, I do think its a winning strategy that will work in WV. I also like the approach of playing complimentary football, which is when WVU had an edge, as we played good on both sides of the ball.

WVU's roster was the lowest rated, least talented & least experienced, then the last 20+ years when Brown was hired. Its why Brown heavily relied on players from the 2018 class, the only class DH recruited decently in the last 4-5 years. These were RedShirt Freshmen, and now they are Juniors, but one reason why we still see a young team is because the young talent coming in, is better then what was here. So while the upside is much higher, we are experiencing the typical growing pains in playing younger(but talented) players. Which has never been a recipe for success at WVU. Every good team through WVU's history had a majority of upperclassmen on the field. That is still not the case after 3 years, because the talent that was here does not offer the ROI as the younger players coming in.

A positive sign NB & staff are doing well recruiting players, which is absolutely critical.

That said, while I do agree with NB strategy of complimentary ball, and its obvious he's still extremely restricted in what types of offensive schemes he can deploy, as they are still dealing with serious limitations in critical positions, & a young OL to boot.

That said, HS offensive players want to go where they will be able to put up good stats. A high powered offense helps attract other high-end HS recruits. The one concern I have, is NB's conservativeness may eventually have a negative impact on his ability to recruit. That said, its to early to tell, cause the conservative strategy could be the best strategy at the present simply due to talent & skillset limitations.

Scoring 13-18 points a game wont cut it, and wont do him any favors attracting high-end game breaking home-run style of players. Lets hope Greene or Crowder develop quickly to reduce those limitations, along with an older OL, so our offense can put up respectable numbers.

Ive heard many people say both here and online they dont think Greene is the answer.... That may be true, but its way to early to tell from him. Perhaps if his 1st year wasnt cut short, but hes just a redshirt freshmen, and having an Elite 11 arm + quick feet, I personally think he just needs a bit more time to develop+mature, moreso on the mental side of the game. We also know this offense is not specifically designed for Greene. Brown said as much in an interview, saying its difficult to install two completely different offenses, so we have an offense created for Doege, with minor adjustments for Greene. So it would be a flawed perspective to assume Greene wont become a quality QB at WVU. He certainly has the intangibles, it seems like he just needs a bit more time. Fans are not known to be Patient, but anything of real quality takes time. Players dont become great overnight, it usually takes a QB an entire year under center before they find their rhythm.

Much like how our JUCO DB's ALWAYS perform far better their second year.... Well, Greene hasnt even started a full game yet and we already have people thinking hes a bust, playing in an offense not specific to him, his skillsets, & pros+cons. His height is not an issue, most QB's are shorter then OL, not to mention how many short QBs do well both in college & NFL.

Granted, concepts deployed now are based on this teams roster, weaknesses, limitations, etc.... Lets just hope a few players develop quickly so a lack of productivity does not negatively impact the staff's ability to attract high-end talent for the 23 & 24 classes.

When the time comes we are not as limited, Brown will need to learn when to be more aggressive to account for bad plays, TO's, etc, to put the game away... Brown did manage to beat LSU, Nebraska, & almost beat Clemson at TROY.... So he deserves the 5 - 6 years to implement his foundation, as things are more competitive at the P5 level, and considering his starting point, I still believe Brown is the right man to take this program where we want to be, and achieve realistic expectations, its just going to require patience on our part, and Brown will need to:

For the types of players WVU historically recruit, for the majority, they offer peak performance (high impact) in their Junior & Senior years, like most players in sports, they get better as they get older. Unlike programs like Bama that recruit high-end 4 & 5 star blue-chip players that are high-impact their Freshmen & Soph years, then leave early for NFL.

Look at Mac Jones..... Mac Jones, sit behind two "Blue Chip" Heisman caliber QB's, for 3 years and only started 2 seasons. His 1st season as starter was drastically lower then his second season as starter. Thats having the opportunity to develop for 3 years.. under normal conditions.

Thats also on a offense with Blue-chip talent at EVERY position and 2 deep, with a quality staff, facilities, & resources...... The very best of scenarios, and his 1st season was nothing compared to his second season. My point, it usually takes 1 full season, even with 1-2 seasons to mature+learn as a backup.

So to think Greene wont be a great QB is a very premature assumption. Lets hope it happens in a timely manner so we dont continue to see a lck of offensive productivity that may/could negatively impact talent acquisition, which is our primary solution to ANY staff doing well.

We have to understand time to make course corrections is a variable, that is dependent on the magnitude of change required. Considering the starting point, and using recruiting based expectations, Brown and this staff are very much outperforming with lets be frank, a pretty dire roster(at certain positions).... Its definitely improving, just a bit young... So while we all see bad losses, like Texas Tech, or subtle issues that if resolve would have resulted in WIN, we must realize being "Close" to wins is part of going from absolutely horrible to very good.

Thats not to say we dont ask tough questions, or hold the staff accountable for potential issues, bad decisions, etc...

I dont think Ive ever came across another WVU so close to being 1-4 or 5-0, just a few critical plays either way we could be undefeated or just with a single Win. Its probably a statistical oddity for sure...

We all understand this team has talent & experience issues, that we also know Brown is resolving. Lets give him time to get that talent developed and see what he can do under normal circumstances. We gave Dana H 8 years, considering what he left Brown, Neal deserves 5-6 years before we seriously discuss looking elsewhere. Replacing staffs every 3-4 years does not work, we have seen that happen time and time again. The fanbases are so impatient and put pressure on the AD, and they remain in Loserville for perpetuity...

Some of these Game Management issues I hear people talking about, there are a couple mistakes that Brown admitted to, but Brown's game management has been pretty good, aside from a couple recent mistakes, and we are all not immune to making them. "Neal Brown is playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers" an announcer made during a game because of Brown's insightfulness in his game management. A bad game, or a couple mistakes is not indicative of a bad coach. IT happens to the best of them.

My prediction based on this roster, we see this team & offense take a massive step forward in the second half of next season(2022). Because Greene is getting his toes in the water a little this year, it should help reduce the time it takes to find his timing next year, so mid-season is when I think it will come together with an offense specifically customized to Greene's Pros+Cons.
The problem with Brown is nothing more than how he thinks. He is not tough on the team. Our guys are cream puffs. Harsh language gets a decent DC fired and worse, our coach lines up in a terrorist parade and trash talks the average West Virginian. He could win every game and be unacceptable here to me.

Reactions: Rootmaster

Ok. From whom did you steal this encyclopedia? People who talk forever to make a point seldom have a point to talk about.

• Haha
Reactions: KingCoal
Long story short...
We are not Alabama but we are also not Troy. Somebody needs to step up their game and be a head coach not daddy or OC. Way I see it he has 2 more years due to last years extension. Time to get busy.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Browns issues are not Dana Holgorsens- who had WVu averaging over 8 wins per season at the end and was mere pts awY from landing WVU in the B12 CCG. He left a capable roster- most of which Brown pushed out, over 20 players- not to mention all the talent that bolted over the next few yrs. Yet those that remained from DH are still are some of his most productive talent 3 years in.

Browns coaching gimmick of simply trying to hold the score down but dont produce offensively is the problem. Look at all the games with 20 or less pts, poor QB play, poor receiving, terrible rushing. He cant coach offense and really the defense hasnt stopped the good opponents any better than anyone else did. They still give up huge plays and penalties endlessly.

Brown needs to change his offensive game plan and get someone in to score touchdowns.

Last edited:
Browns issues are not Dana Holgorsens- who had WVu averaging over 8 wins per season at the end and was mere pts awY from landing WVU in the B12 CCG. He left a capable roster- most of which Brown pushed out, over 20 players- not to mention all the talent that bolted over the next few yrs. Yet those that remained from DH are still are some of his most productive talent 3 years in.

Browns coaching gimmick of simply trying to hold the score down but dont produce offensively is the problem. Look at all the games with 20 or less pts, poor QB play, poor receiving, terrible rushing. He cant coach offense and really the defense hasnt stopped the good opponents any better than anyone else did. They still give up huge plays and penalties endlessly.

Brown needs to change his offensive game plan and get someone in to score touchdowns.
Holgorsen's teams weren't averaging over 8 wins a year you liar. Holgorsen's best year only happened because Bill Stewart was gracious enough to leave him Geno, Tavon and stedman. You keep telling us that Dana was 3 points away from playing for a big 12 title. How many teams do you know that score 56 points at home end up losing. That was a dana defense for you but that 2018 team you speak of was exposed as a fraud when they blew a 17 point lead to a weak oklahoma state team and later got rolled by a mid leavel acc team in a bowl game. Dana was here 8 years and only gave wvu lower to mid tier bowls with his own players. His a$$ should have been fired years earlier.

Holgorsen's teams weren't averaging over 8 wins a year you liar. Holgorsen's best year only happened because Bill Stewart was gracious enough to leave him Geno, Tavon and stedman. You keep telling us that Dana was 3 points away from playing for a big 12 title. How many teams do you know that score 56 points at home end up losing. That was a dana defense for you but that 2018 team you speak of was exposed as a fraud when they blew a 17 point lead to a weak oklahoma state team and later got rolled by a mid leavel acc team in a bowl game. Dana was here 8 years and only gave wvu lower to mid tier bowls with his own players. His a$$ should have been fired years earlier.
I mean its obvious you are an idiot but facts are facts. I said at the end of his time at WVU Holgorsen averaged 8 wins.

His last 5 years at WVU (and keep in mind he faced the toughest schedules WVU ever faced):

2018 — 8 wins
2017 — 7
2016 — 10
2015 — 8
2014 — 7 wins

average # wins? 8

So stop f’ing lying. And with a combination of his players and the previous staffs ( some of whom he brought in btw as the O coordinator)— Holgorsen immediately won 10 games abd carried WVU to a historical crushing of Clemson— two things Stewart never did- not to mention Stewart never could win a scaled down Big East. Holgorsen was 4 pts from putting WVU in the BIG 12 CCG in 2018.

Brown has been awful in comparison. He is under .500 three years in. And Holgorsens players are still the best offensive and defensive players.

Your hatred of the second winningest coach ever at WVU is childish and nonsensical. Your love of Browns five win seasons is lunacy.

Look at the only person who cares about Holgorsen. How is your coke boy doing?

I mean its obvious you are an idiot but facts are facts. I said at the end of his time at WVU Holgorsen averaged 8 wins.

His last 5 years at WVU (and keep in mind he faced the toughest schedules WVU ever faced):

2018 — 8 wins
2017 — 7
2016 — 10
2015 — 8
2014 — 7 wins

average # wins? 8

So stop f’ing lying. And with a combination of his players and the previous staffs ( some of whom he brought in btw as the O coordinator)— Holgorsen immediately won 10 games abd carried WVU to a historical crushing of Clemson— two things Stewart never did- not to mention Stewart never could win a scaled down Big East. Holgorsen was 4 pts from putting WVU in the BIG 12 CCG in 2018.

Brown has been awful in comparison. He is under .500 three years in. And Holgorsens players are still the best offensive and defensive players.

Your hatred of the second winningest coach ever at WVU is childish and nonsensical. Your love of Browns five win seasons is lunacy.
He started in 2011 dumbass not 2014.

There you go with those if an but statements again. WVU has never lost a game because of your if and but claims. Close only counts in horsehoes. Brown has had 1 of your claimed 5 win seasons.

Only thing Holgorsen ever faced was himself in a mirror after waking up on the floor in a hotel bathroom filled with white powder stains.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees

2018 — 8 wins
2017 — 7
2016 — 10
2015 — 8
2014 — 7 wins

average # wins? 8

You have been busted Liar. Holgorsen sucked as a coach. He averaged 7 wins a season. The only bowl game he won with a team he recruited was against a weak Arizona State team. You keep changing the amount of points we were away from playing in the big 12 title game. The fact is in year 8 we don't want to hear woulda coulda shoulda it had been long past the time for him to produce. That 2018 team got stomped by a mid level acc team in a bowl. Obviously Mr coke head didn't want to make it up to the fans for getting embarrassed by a weak 6-6 Utah team in the bowl the year before. The Utah team that beat wvu was the pac 12's only bowl win that year. The Pac 12 went something like 1-8, 1-9 that year. When Holgorsen beat Texas in 2018 it was his 1st win against a team that finished in the top 25 in 4 years another pathetic stat. The only time Holgorsen gets wins is against weak opponents and that's a maybe. The people calling for Lyons head should be doing so for letting that bum go on longer than he should have.

2018 — 8 wins
2017 — 7
2016 — 10
2015 — 8
2014 — 7 wins

average # wins? 8

Under this perspective

We should not account for Brown's first 3 years then, not even consider them into analyzing his quality. As you are only looking at DH's last 5 years and not his first 3.... Not to mention, DH inherited Geno, Bailey, & Austin which gave him 2 years of quality production to build out his recruiting foundation. NB did not have that luxury...

Brown isnt in his "last 5 years". He's in his first 3 years playing with a hand of cards dealt at your local underground bottom dealing mob casino. DH left behind the worst WVU roster in the last 20+ years, that is UNDENIABLE FACT. Look at the recruiting rankings of every player on the 2019 team. IT would rank in the 70's-80's, with no Heisman caliber QB in waiting, a horrible OL, and the best WR is a freshmen who should at best be @2 or #3 on the depth chart under normal circumstances.

DH didnt play 11 P5 opponents early on, there were a few seasons where he only played 10, so Brown's schedule is tougher, no extra game to pad his Win/Loss record...

Its to early to tell the quality of Brown & staff, we need to see him coach a team entirely made up of his recruits before serious analysis are applied.

I project we should see a significant step forward towards the middle of next season, but thats only the very beginning of the trajectory, as recruiting will continue to increase upside, as long as we remain active in portal for fill-in roles..

Its not to early to know that Kneel Brown's big boy winning percentage is under 40% and falling fast. Maybe Shame Lyins will extend his contract again if wvu finishs 3-9.

as we remain active in portal for fill-in roles..
The transfer portal is a major concern in my opinion. We had two guys leave after last season that were contributors. One would hope that the portal can be used to fill in the holes. Not sure that its actually the case. It seems like its used to replace the holes just as much as filling them in. I know the conversation has revolved around building depth but players just leave when they can't step in and get playing time in a short time period. We just had a guy leave earlier this week. I know he fell down the depth chart but he was still young. If kids just pack up and leave on a whim then how do we expect to get older and more experienced. I don't think the portal is really beneficial to programs like ours. I think it should be amended based on playing time. If a player wants to transfer but has played a certain amount of plays they should have to sit out a year in my opinion. This would stop teams higher up on the food chain from pillaging from the poor.

Its not to early to know that Kneel Brown's big boy winning percentage is under 40% and falling fast. Maybe Shame Lyins will extend his contract again if wvu finishs 3-9.
Dana H went 4-8 in his 3rd year.
Matt Campbell went 7-6 in his 4th year
Dabo Swinney went 6-7 om his 3rd year before turning Clemson on an upward trajectory

If Dana had been recruiting in the 20s or 30s every year, or even if NB walked into a normal/average WVU roster, my expectations would be a bit higher, but he didnt. He took over a complete trash can, an utter disaster.

2.3 years is not enough time for the magnitude of change required. Any attachment to Brown or this staff, logically analyzing this roster the past 2.3 years, I truly dont know who could have done much better..
Its too early to feel strongly either way. Just like I said for those who wanted DH fired after the disastrous 2012 BIg12 fall apart and even worse 2013.

Im not a fan of hiring + firing coaches after 3-4 years. It takes more time then that to fully integrate a coach's culture, foundation, scheme, recruit scheme specific, develop them, etc.

We'll see how good Brown is when he walks out onto the field and every player on the team was his recruit. Until then, we just want to see signs of improvement. Sometimes, like with Dabo, you can even take a step back, before you take that big break-out step forward. Time will tell if Brown shakes out, I think he will, but either way he deserves enough time & support to see what he can do.

Programs that cave to fanbase impatience remain in Loserville for perpetuity, I mean..... Tenn, Auburn, Miami, USC, Texas, Ole Miss, FSU, Michigan(Not as bad as others here), Nebraska, etc etc.... Its a downward cycle that is incredibly difficult to claw out of...

Brown is proving he can recruit at WVU, which is a significant compliment and not easy to do... That is a very significant % of the cookbook, lets see how he does when hes not restricted from a talent, experience, or depth perspective. If year 6 ends and we are still a 7 win team with no strong signs of breaking through, Ill be the first to say its time to start looking for quality options. Until then, the best thing we can do as fans is to support this staff, our players, & Donate to the MAC.

Dana H went 4-8 in his 3rd year.
Matt Campbell went 7-6 in his 4th year
Dabo Swinney went 6-7 om his 3rd year before turning Clemson on an upward trajectory

If Dana had been recruiting in the 20s or 30s every year, or even if NB walked into a normal/average WVU roster, my expectations would be a bit higher, but he didnt. He took over a complete trash can, an utter disaster.

2.3 years is not enough time for the magnitude of change required. Any attachment to Brown or this staff, logically analyzing this roster the past 2.3 years, I truly dont know who could have done much better..
Its too early to feel strongly either way. Just like I said for those who wanted DH fired after the disastrous 2012 BIg12 fall apart and even worse 2013.

Im not a fan of hiring + firing coaches after 3-4 years. It takes more time then that to fully integrate a coach's culture, foundation, scheme, recruit scheme specific, develop them, etc.

We'll see how good Brown is when he walks out onto the field and every player on the team was his recruit. Until then, we just want to see signs of improvement. Sometimes, like with Dabo, you can even take a step back, before you take that big break-out step forward. Time will tell if Brown shakes out, I think he will, but either way he deserves enough time & support to see what he can do.

Programs that cave to fanbase impatience remain in Loserville for perpetuity, I mean..... Tenn, Auburn, Miami, USC, Texas, Ole Miss, FSU, Michigan(Not as bad as others here), Nebraska, etc etc.... Its a downward cycle that is incredibly difficult to claw out of...

Brown is proving he can recruit at WVU, which is a significant compliment and not easy to do... That is a very significant % of the cookbook, lets see how he does when hes not restricted from a talent, experience, or depth perspective. If year 6 ends and we are still a 7 win team with no strong signs of breaking through, Ill be the first to say its time to start looking for quality options. Until then, the best thing we can do as fans is to support this staff, our players, & Donate to the MAC.
Yeah glad old Kneel isnt letting the old gold and blue sink to level of Texas...Michigan...USC...or Old Miss! Is your age even in the double digits?

WVU's roster was the lowest rated, least talented & least experienced, then the last 20+ years when Brown was hired.

The last 20 plus year? Document and prove that statement. Where are your figures? Don't just throw out crap to try to justify a coach's mistakes.

WVU's roster was the lowest rated, least talented & least experienced, then the last 20+ years when Brown was hired.

The last 20 plus year? Document and prove that statement. Where are your figures? Don't just throw out crap to try to justify a coach's mistakes.
And where is your documentation? Squirrel.

Its pretty easy to do on your own. Take a look at the inherited roster of 2019, the players on the actual roster, not what players signed in XYZ class but never played a down in Morgantown or left.

From a player rating & experience perspective it'll put things into perspective very quickly. The top 5-7 players in the 2015, 2016, & 2017 classes werent here when the 2019 season started, and those classes were not ranked high to begin with, and thats with the best 5-7 players included in those class ratings, when you subtract those it gets ugly...

Also, The 2019 team was one of the youngest teams in all of D1 that year. When you combine the player ratings & youth, it was a very ugly situation NB stepped into...

Other sites have class data that go back to 1999, I only went back to 2000. Annual rosters are available on sports-reference.

Its pretty easy to do on your own. Take a look at the inherited roster of 2019, the players on the actual roster, not what players signed in XYZ class but never played a down in Morgantown or left.

From a player rating & experience perspective it'll put things into perspective very quickly. The top 5-7 players in the 2015, 2016, & 2017 classes werent here when the 2019 season started, and those classes were not ranked high to begin with, and thats with the best 5-7 players included in those class ratings, when you subtract those it gets ugly...

Also, The 2019 team was one of the youngest teams in all of D1 that year. When you combine the player ratings & youth, it was a very ugly situation NB stepped into...

Other sites have class data that go back to 1999, I only went back to 2000. Annual rosters are available on sports-reference.
Blowhard aka volatility.

LOL

You should change your handle from volatility to @lookatme 😂

• Haha
Reactions: KingCoal
You have been busted Liar. Holgorsen sucked as a coach. He averaged 7 wins a season. The only bowl game he won with a team he recruited was against a weak Arizona State team. You keep changing the amount of points we were away from playing in the big 12 title game. The fact is in year 8 we don't want to hear woulda coulda shoulda it had been long past the time for him to produce. That 2018 team got stomped by a mid level acc team in a bowl. Obviously Mr coke head didn't want to make it up to the fans for getting embarrassed by a weak 6-6 Utah team in the bowl the year before. The Utah team that beat wvu was the pac 12's only bowl win that year. The Pac 12 went something like 1-8, 1-9 that year. When Holgorsen beat Texas in 2018 it was his 1st win against a team that finished in the top 25 in 4 years another pathetic stat. The only time Holgorsen gets wins is against weak opponents and that's a maybe. The people calling for Lyons head should be doing so for letting that bum go on longer than he should have.
Complete fabrication of reality and the usual lies.

Holgorsen ranks # 2 for all time wins at WVU. Holgorsen faced the toughest schedules WVU ever faced. Holgorsen averaged 8.25 wins per year his last 4 at WVU when WVUs historical avg was at 7 ( Brown will drop it btw). Holgorsen’s last five seasons he averaged 8 wins. He sent numerous WVu players to the NFL as well and had one or two in contention for the Heisman late. He provided WVU with a top 10 offense and coached 4 of WVUs top 12 QBs. The list goes on and on.

Meanwhile Brown is running WVU into the ground quickly with three losing seasons in a row seemingly locked- 3 more losses and its there.

Dont know what drugs you are on or what mental illness you have but thise are checkable facts. I have no need to lie and besides youve got that locked up anyway.

Brown chased off numerous players- more than 20- the majority of whom had actual on field playing experience at WVU when WVU was averaging over 8 wins per season under Holgorsen.

A few were starters and Brown has had numerous other players leave since- some he recruited even.

At some point its time to face reality or the hole Brown has created himself will be too huge to dig out of.

WVU is being Kragthorped at the worst possible time. 5 years from now some fools will still be pretending Brown is a talented P5 coach.

Brown chased off numerous players- more than 20- the majority of whom had actual on field playing experience at WVU when WVU was averaging over 8 wins per season under Holgorsen.

A few were starters and Brown has had numerous other players leave since- some he recruited even.

At some point its time to face reality or the hole Brown has created himself will be too huge to dig out of.

WVU is being Kragthorped at the worst possible time. 5 years from now some fools will still be pretending Brown is a talented P5 coach.
More lies from conference merger guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT