ADVERTISEMENT

Players don't go to schools just because of amount of NIL

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
The story running around from the excusers has been all Brown's failings are due to lack of NIL money to WVU players, without any supporting actual factual evidence of course.

The story is that players are going here or there because someone else is offering them more money that WVU can't and that explains everything.

Well, this isn't WVU, but here is a QB commit at Ohio State and what he had to say about NIL options between the Buckeyes and Washington, which proves that sometimes WINNING and having future opportunities is as important as anything and likely explains why so many starters and talented players flee from Brown who has only had a few players (two from the previous staff) move onto the NFL:

excerpt: https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-qb-recruit-lincoln-204936057.html

"I think Washington had better NIL than Ohio State," quarterback Lincoln Kienholz said, referring to what he could have made early on off his name, image and likeness rights in Seattle.

"I think I can go to Washington and get money, or I can go to Ohio State and be developed and then potentially reach my goal of going to the NFL," he continued.

The NIL is quickly becoming a tired old excuse for Neal and WVU. So is the transfer portal. Poor Neal Brown, its just so unfair that he has to deal with everything every other school has to deal with.

Hey its 3rd and long, your team has the ball and is in the lead very late in the 4th. Your passing game has been bad, but the running game has been great in the game. The other team has one time out left. Do you throw a low percentage pass on 3rd and long, or run it and make sure they have to use their final timeout before they get the ball back? The NIL doesn't matter when you have a bad coach.

Last edited:
The NIL is quickly becoming a tired old excuse for Neal and WVU. So is the transfer portal. Poor Neal Brown, its just so unfair that he has to deal with everything every other school has to deal with.

Hey its 3rd and long, your team has the ball and is in the lead very late in the 4th. Your passing game has been bad, but the running game has been great in the game. The other team has one time out left. Do you throw a low percentage pass on 3rd and long, or run it and make sure they have to use their final timeout before they get the ball back? The NIL doesn't matter when you have a bad coach.
Exactly.

247: By Dean Straka
Tampering concerns are rampant in college football as teams continue to navigate the era of name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation for players. Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher: 'Utterly ridiculous' amount of tampering occurring in NCAA Transfer Portal.

"There's more tampering going on than you could ever imagine," Dickert told reporters earlier in the week. "We've had guys contact our players' parents. We had a coach from another school contact one of our players and offer him (an) NIL. A coach."

By Bobby Dere:
Greg Schiano reveals truth about NIL poaching and tampering in college football. Even though NIL is still very new to college athletics, poaching and tampering have been a part of the game behind the scenes for quite some time, according to Schiano.

The Colorado transfer, who left Jackson State to follow Deion Sanders to Boulder, got into a Twitter tiff with five-star wide receiver Hykeem Williams, a recent FSU signee.

Jackson State:
Williams took a swing at Hunter on Instagram Live before signing his letter of intent.

“Ain’t no Travis Hunter over here. We locked in. Time to work,” Williams said, referring to Hunter throwing hats off the table, including one from FSU, where he’d been committed, before announcing his decision to join Jackson State.

When On3 put Williams’ words on a graphic, Hunter quote tweeted it saying, “Could Never Be Me,” with crying with laughter emojis.

Travis Hunter alleges that Florida State tampered with his transfer

“FSU called before I hit the portal,” Hunter tweeted.
FSU called before I hit the portal
— Travis Hunter (@TravisHunterJr) December 22, 2022

That’s a major allegation but it also feels like a toothless one.

Athlon Sports: Mitchell Forde

One of the primary issues they have cited with the era of free transfers and name, image and likeness deals is an increase in tampering, or coaches trying to lure players who aren't in the transfer portal off other rosters.

EXCUSE ALL THAT!

The story running around from the excusers has been all Brown's failings are due to lack of NIL money to WVU players, without any supporting actual factual evidence of course.

The story is that players are going here or there because someone else is offering them more money that WVU can't and that explains everything.

Well, this isn't WVU, but here is a QB commit at Ohio State and what he had to say about NIL options between the Buckeyes and Washington, which proves that sometimes WINNING and having future opportunities is as important as anything and likely explains why so many starters and talented players flee from Brown who has only had a few players (two from the previous staff) move onto the NFL:

"I think Washington had better NIL than Ohio State," quarterback Lincoln Kienholz said, referring to what he could have made early on off his name, image and likeness rights in Seattle.

"I think I can go to Washington and get money, or I can go to Ohio State and be developed and then potentially reach my goal of going to the NFL," he continued.
You're the only one making accusations.

It’s part of his autism. He really can’t help it. He’s gonna keep repeating this until it happens and then he will find a new outlet to fixate on.
The article he linked was about a kid coming out of high school. Not a player already at another school. His argument is weak.

2021 Ohio State QB Ewers transferred to Texas for Higher NIL money. Ohio State he collected $1 million in NIL endorsement money before waving bye-bye to the Buckeyes. Texas it's $1.4 million he reportedly pocketed for signing with GT Sports Marketing to sign autographs is a drop in the bucket compared to what he would make in the NFL.

Ewers left high school early mostly because Texas law does not permit high school athletes to profit off NIL

Yeah Bucky, they're not after money.

Nowhere in your article link did Kienholz say what you wrote.

Lincoln Kienholz, the 4-star quarterback from South Dakota and a centerpiece for the University of Washington's latest recruiting class, has indicated he will take an official recruiting visit to Ohio State this weekend, leaving Kalen DeBoer's staff none too pleased.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound player from T.F. Riggs High School in the state capital of Pierre gave his verbal commitment to the Huskies following his official visit in June, but he's not officially in the fold until signing a national letter of intent in December.

Now the Buckeyes are making a push for the record-setting Kienholz and will host him for their home game against Michigan.

The young quarterback was far from firm about his college football intentions when he did a recent interview with 247Sports.

“Right now I’m still 100 percent committed to Washington,” Kienholz told the recruiting website. “I want to take this visit as an opportunity to go check it out and if I really like it go from there. Right now it’s a possibility.”

While he couldn't mention Kienholz by name or talk about specifics, as per NCAA restrictions in recruiting, DeBoer was asked hypothetically about a situation such as this — and he clearly wasn't thrilled about the potential for one of his recruits getting poached from under him.

"I mean when you're committed, you're committed," DeBoer said. "Every situation is different. That's a part of times changed, but also they still stay the same. When you give your verbal commitment, that's that. Everything is different. Every situation you run to has its own little pieces to it."

NEXT MAKE THE CORRECT LINK

Some want to make money because they will not make it pro ball others know they are a pro player and want the training.

The article is there for intelligent posters to read and digest, right out of the mouth of an Ohio State recruit who chose Ohio State over a higher NIL paying school.

Proves without a shadow of doubt that players go to schools not only because of the money they could get, but because of the success, development and opportunity going there provides them. WVU has had an inordinant number of high level departures which cannot be explained away by money. We already know from reports that its largely due to coaching staff rather than what someone else is offering them--but the Brown Clowns will continue to push their disinformation campaign no matter what.

Must be a cult they've sworn a blood oath to.

Yet again Bucky you didn't make the correct link for the story you claimed.

You can lie all you want to.

Like I said some want training others want money. See Ewers on leaving high school early so he could make money. But don't kid yourself into think Kienholz is not making money.

Yet again Brown Clowns try to spin spin spin.

Any one can see it and read it for themselves. No need for spin. Players don't just choose the most NIL money when selecting schools to go to and NIL money isn't the reason for selecting the program they decide to play for. Success of the program in developing them for future opportunities can out weigh better NIL deals.

Blows up the FAKE story that players go to schools solely due to NIL money when the reality is many have other reasons for choosing.

The ever evolving LIE is that WVU football has been awful the last four years due to players going elsewhere for more NIL money. Trying to demonize the players while praising the worst coaching hire in modern WVU history--worst coaching in nearly 50 years for the Mountaineers.

This is the problem and all the disinformation in the world isn't going to change that.

Last edited:
Yet again Brown Clowns try to spin spin spin.

Any one can see it and read it for themselves. No need for spin. Players don't just choose the most NIL money when selecting schools to go to and NIL money isn't the reason for selecting the program they decide to play for. Success of the program in developing them for future opportunities can out weigh better NIL deals.

Blows up the FAKE story that players go to schools solely due to NIL money when the reality is many have other reasons for choosing.

The ever evolving LIE is that WVU football has been awful the last four years due to players going elsewhere for more NIL money. Trying to demonize the players while praising the worst coaching hire in modern WVU history--worst coaching in nearly 50 years for the Mountaineers.

This is the problem and all the disinformation in the world isn't going to change that.
Yet again Buckaineer makes a false claim because somebody disagrees with her. Go grow a sack and be a man.
Oh wait liberals don't believe there are 2 genders only 1. I forgot. Should we call you an It or what?

Yet again Buckaineer makes a false claim because somebody disagrees with her. Go grow a sack and be a man.
Oh wait liberals don't believe there are 2 genders only 1. I forgot. Should we call you an It or what?
Yawn.

The NIL doesn't matter when you have a bad coach.

NAILED IT! NEAL BROWN, WITH WORST WVU COACHING RECORD IN 43 YEARS, IS AN ANCHOR AROUND THE FOOTBALL TEAM'S NECK. 4TH WORST COACH IN WVU HISTORY, TOO. HOW CAN ANYONE DEFEND THAT WITH A STRAIGHT FACE? WVU FOOTBALL NEEDS A BOB HUGGINS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT