ADVERTISEMENT

Lawrence O'Donnell-Electoral College rant

WVUBRU

All-American
Aug 7, 2001
I have great respect and admiration for Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC. I find him to be very intelligent, articulate and interesting. I often will agree with his point of view but more importantly, his commentary makes me think and reflect and sometimes I will disagree with his point because of how he made me think.

He is dead wrong about the Electoral College in his commentary tonight in my opinion.

This country is the United States of America and our three branches of government were formed with a specific reason and an attempt to balance the equality of the states to the union balanced with the population of each of the states. The Electoral College is a reflection of that idea. The country is not a true Democracy and never has been. The country can not control where and which state people live but regardless, States rights and the importance of each to the Union is also respected in our most important Federal election which is for President. If we elected President by popular vote, the smaller states would get totally ignored and the candidates would only visit about 10 states and all of the policies would be geared towards the political power of just those states. That would be horrible for the citizens of all the states in the Union.

Yes, it is a shame that the Popular vote and the Electoral college doesn't align in every Presidential election. But that is why there is a second branch of government that has two houses that is an equal branch to the federal government. Respect the importance of the vote and understand how to have one's voice heard with our government but at the same time, respect the same vote that is held by citizens of the smaller states.

Trump was elected President. Quit whining about Clinton winning the Popular vote and attempting to take away the significance and legitimacy of the winner by not liking the method after the fact. It is just as petty and stupid as all the "rigged" talk that took place prior to 11/8.

I'm off my soapbox.

I have great respect and admiration for Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC. I find him to be very intelligent, articulate and interesting. I often will agree with his point of view but more importantly, his commentary makes me think and reflect and sometimes I will disagree with his point because of how he made me think.

He is dead wrong about the Electoral College in his commentary tonight in my opinion.

This country is the United States of America and our three branches of government were formed with a specific reason and an attempt to balance the equality of the states to the union balanced with the population of each of the states. The Electoral College is a reflection of that idea. The country is not a true Democracy and never has been. The country can not control where and which state people live but regardless, States rights and the importance of each to the Union is also respected in our most important Federal election which is for President. If we elected President by popular vote, the smaller states would get totally ignored and the candidates would only visit about 10 states and all of the policies would be geared towards the political power of just those states. That would be horrible for the citizens of all the states in the Union.

Yes, it is a shame that the Popular vote and the Electoral college doesn't align in every Presidential election. But that is why there is a second branch of government that has two houses that is an equal branch to the federal government. Respect the importance of the vote and understand how to have one's voice heard with our government but at the same time, respect the same vote that is held by citizens of the smaller states.

Trump was elected President. Quit whining about Clinton winning the Popular vote and attempting to take away the significance and legitimacy of the winner by not liking the method after the fact. It is just as petty and stupid as all the "rigged" talk that took place prior to 11/8.

I'm off my soapbox.
Good post Bru.

I'm off my soapbox.
You OK? Anyway....... well done.

I'm off my soapbox.

Well done

I'm off my soapbox.
I would really like to see more of the Maine (and some other State) who break it down even farther bu=y allocating electoral votes to districts(?) and not a winner takes all for the State. would take away the overall dominance of large cities. Some States are totally dominated by them rather than allowing the rural, other areas to have much real say. Why not award the electoral votes according to congressional districts or, eve, the Counties? LA, NY, Chicago, etc would not control the direction of the entire State. Food for thought.

I would really like to see more of the Maine (and some other State) who break it down even farther bu=y allocating electoral votes to districts(?) and not a winner takes all for the State. would take away the overall dominance of large cities. Some States are totally dominated by them rather than allowing the rural, other areas to have much real say. Why not award the electoral votes according to congressional districts or, eve, the Counties? LA, NY, Chicago, etc would not control the direction of the entire State. Food for thought.
I would like to see a result that used your model for this past election.

Counties? WTF. No way! You are talking about tilting things in an extremely disproportionate way. Why should a county of 50 people have the same voice as a county with over one million people?

The Electoral College needs to be updated to be more representative of the latest Census numbers. This will still reflect the intent of the founders of the electoral college and still accomplish their intent.

Counties? WTF. No way! You are talking about tilting things in an extremely disproportionate way. Why should a county of 50 people have the same voice as a county with over one million people?

The Electoral College needs to be updated to be more representative of the latest Census numbers. This will still reflect the intent of the founders of the electoral college and still accomplish their intent.
I'm sure some sort of a weighted system could be devised.

It is updated every 10 years which is how it is written in the constitution. I agree a county count is stupid. But Iowa and Maine split their electoral votes per congressional district, not county. I'm not in favor of that either. I like state take all.

I'm off my soapbox.
Rather good essay on what our government is and the need for a Republic form of government rather than a Democracy. This is a reasonable portrayal of the way it was intended to function.

Also, I understand how you are so emotionally screwed up listening to and using Lawrence O'Donnell as a source of liberalism. The husky speaking woman on the channel is much more tolerable. I can hear her for 3-4 minutes before change of channel. When I hit on O'Donnell, I do not let up on the channel change. He is normally as scary as the fellow who formerly was on Fox at 5PM. Just the polar opposite in thinking.

You exhibit the same obnoxious self centered opinion that you are the only one with an opinion on any subject. Attempt to reason is outside your mental capacity. You will only accept comments complimentary of your stance. Others should prepare to be called any of a list of non-complimentary names. Useless.

because the voices of 50 should be heard just as the voices of 1 million. It makes the candidates go out and hear those 50 people...if not then they just have big rallies in the city.

You exhibit the same obnoxious self centered opinion that you are the only one with an opinion on any subject. Attempt to reason is outside your mental capacity. You will only accept comments complimentary of your stance. Others should prepare to be called any of a list of non-complimentary names. Useless.

Somehow I'm thinking there's a mirror close to the keyboard.

Dang dude! Lay off the hate pills.
Just stating facts. Did you make the same comment when he was making his slanted assessment of me a couple days back? If you don't know what I am talking about, look it up. Otherwise, get off my fun-loving ass.

I'm off my soapbox.
you and I have disagreed on a lot of stuff but this post is right on......I wasn't thrilled with either candidate but we had to elect somebody.....he;s got 4 years to put up or shut up, and if he doesn't we'll throw him out and get another one. You are correct....quit whining (are you reading this WV Made?) and get with the program. If you're really that upset the the Whoopie train still has vacancies

Somehow I'm thinking there's a mirror close to the keyboard.
Short, sharp and stupid describes you and your intestinal fortitude. Don't be your normal assbite self. Don't sit in your perfect world and tell me I am wrong, please. Tell me specifically where I am wrong so I can attempt to respond to your remark of questionable intent, or alter myself to be more acceptable. Too many of you say something is wrong without elaborating.

I'm off my soapbox.
That's about the best post I've read on here. Well said.

Rather good essay on what our government is and the need for a Republic form of government rather than a Democracy. This is a reasonable portrayal of the way it was intended to function.

Also, I understand how you are so emotionally screwed up listening to and using Lawrence O'Donnell as a source of liberalism. The husky speaking woman on the channel is much more tolerable. I can hear her for 3-4 minutes before change of channel. When I hit on O'Donnell, I do not let up on the channel change. He is normally as scary as the fellow who formerly was on Fox at 5PM. Just the polar opposite in thinking.

AS you just did against him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT