ADVERTISEMENT

Last night's loss reminds me of the

I think last night replaces that blocked punt loss as #2 on the worst loss list. The 13-9 will forever be king of worst defeats.

I think last night replaces that blocked punt loss as #2 on the worst loss list. The 13-9 will forever be king of worst defeats.
At least the blocked punt was against a very good team where it was reasonable that a single play might swing the game. Last night, just as with 13-9, was a cavalcade of unreasonable errors that took what should have been an easy victory into an improbable defeat.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
blocked punt.......grrrrrrrrr........stupid.
West could have thrown the ball out of the back of the endzone for a safety.. How about the 3 ot game with Pitt..leading 38-35..Pitt 4th & 17..ist down pass.... two plays later TD...we lose 41-38

Last edited:
With games I was actually at, the blocked punt against Miami was the worst. Stadium was packed and went deadly quiet. Nobody even wanted to party after the game.

Was living in Michigan during 13-9, which cost WVU dearly. That ultimately ended up being the worse WVU loss for me, as Rod moved to Michigan, and subsequently set the program back for years. Even took Harbaugh a few years to recover from Rod.

Still think Rod would be a good fit at WVU. He plays a gimmick style that works when you're over matched from a talent standpoint. Rod will never return, but think you need that type of 'outside the box' coach. However, with the new big XII lineup, that may not be necessary.

Reactions: BombidEER

I get the frustration and share it with you. However, let’s get real here. This WVU team is nowhere near the level those WVU teams in 1996 and 2007 were. I tried telling you guys this team hadn’t played anyone with a pulse except Penn State. And that still holds true. Houston is not a good team either.

I get the frustration and share it with you. However, let’s get real here. This WVU team is nowhere near the level those WVU teams in 1996 and 2007 were. I tried telling you guys this team hadn’t played anyone with a pulse except Penn State. And that still holds true. Houston is not a good team either.
Houston is a horrible team. WVU plays nobody with a pulse the rest of the year except Oklahoma. Still say Big 12 is dead even in spots 3-14. Big 12 is bad as a whole.

The Miami loss was a total heartbreaker and way more fans were way more upset than they were last night. It mattered more than the houston game for a lot of reasons. Last night was a big game but nothing like back in the day.

Houston is a horrible team. WVU plays nobody with a pulse the rest of the year except Oklahoma. Still say Big 12 is dead even in spots 3-14. Big 12 is bad as a whole.
And let’s not forget, WVU has the easiest Big 12 schedule in years. Outside of Oklahoma, they’ve dodged all the best teams in the league. They don’t play Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, or Iowa State. If there was a year Neal Brown could save his job, it’s this year.

And let’s not forget, WVU has the easiest Big 12 schedule in years. Outside of Oklahoma, they’ve dodged all the best teams in the league. They don’t play Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, or Iowa State. If there was a year Neal Brown could save his job, it’s this year.
KSU and ISU are not exactly that great. Kansas without Jalen Daniels is just average. Thank goodness we don't play Texas. There are 12 million reasons he won't be fired. Thank you Shane the pain that keeps on giving.

Brown might still get 8 wins might get no more wins, but I could see and ugly 4-2 finish just like the 4-2 start. Can also see us finish 0-6. But OU is no doubt kicking our butts.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
KSU and ISU are not exactly that great. Kansas without Jalen Daniels is just average. Thank goodness we don't play Texas. There are 12 million reasons he won't be fired. Thank you Shane the pain that keeps on giving.

Brown might still get 8 wins might get no more wins, but I could see and ugly 4-2 finish just like the 4-2 start. Can also see us finish 0-6. But OU is no doubt kicking our butts.
the problem is he could get eight wins this year and it really doesn't mean that he has improved much or has shown any real improvement. Whatever it is, he's just not impressive and the team under him is lacking something that we haven't lacked in a long time, if ever. It's him, not all the excuses people make for him. He is the reason. This is a shit show.

The national media will continue to disrespect and most of the national media attention will keep being negative, primarily focused on the temp of Neal's seat and how he is not getting it done. It is ridiculous and a terrible representation of WVU. Its beyond worth the buyout to end this retarded experiment and continue to search for a good coach for WVU

the problem is he could get eight wins this year and it really doesn't mean that he has improved much or has shown any real improvement. Whatever it is, he's just not impressive and the team under him is lacking something that we haven't lacked in a long time, if ever. It's him, not all the excuses people make for him. He is the reason. This is a shit show.

The national media will continue to disrespect and most of the national media attention will keep being negative, primarily focused on the temp of Neal's seat and how he is not getting it done. It is ridiculous and a terrible representation of WVU. Its beyond worth the buyout to end this retarded experiment and continue to search for a good coach for WVU
At this point, a careful and thorough vetting process needs to start now for a search of a new HC. I’m not saying make the move today. We need to make sure we get a homerun hire next time. See what’s available at the end of the season and go from there. No rushing into hires. No thinking it must be some WV native only. Just the best fit for this school and program. Whether it’s Rodriguez or Bo Pelini or Charlie Huff or somebody and whoever fits us best. Someone who knows the region for recruiting, someone who knows the Big12, someone who is hard nosed and gets us back to a tough brand of football. WVU has always been successful with a strong ground game and strong defense. We need to stop trying to put a round peg in a square hole and get back to Mountaineer football we’ve always been known for. We also need to look at our S&C coach and make the necessary change in his philosophy or replace him altogether. I’ve long felt conditioning has been a problem since Joseph took over for Barwis.

Last edited:
Reactions: deedoubleyou
At this point, a careful and thorough vetting process needs to start now for a search of a new HC. I’m not saying make the move today. We need to make sure we get a homerun hire next time. See what’s available at the end of the season and go from there. No rushing into hires. No thinking it must be some WV native only. Just the best fit for this school and program. Whether it’s Rodriguez or Bo Pelini or Charlie Huff or somebody and whoever fits us best. Someone who knows the region for recruiting, someone who knows the Big12, someone who is hard nosed and gets us back to a tough brand of football. WVU has always been successful with a strong ground game and strong defense. We need to stop trying to put a round peg in a square hole and get back to Mountaineer football we’ve always been known for. We also need to look at our S&C coach and make the necessary change in his philosophy or replace him altogether. I’ve long felt conditioning has been a problem since Joseph took over for Barwis.
No team can guarantee a home run hire. Any coach would end up being an experiment.

The blocked punt game was different. Mainly because I had encouragement the entire game that we were going to win.......until the final seconds and that damn Tremain Mack.

Thursday's game I didn't have hope in the win until 12 seconds remaining.........So I guess what I'm saying is that my misery was short-termed. Hurts the same, but I wasn't having 3 hours of good feelings like I was with the Miami game.

He still thinks he's at Troy and coaches that way. I don't think he realizes he has moved up.

Last edited:
How can anyone forget Bobby Bowden being up 35-8 on Pitt at halftime back in 1970 and losing that game.

Reactions: locustwv
What year was it when we were way up on Pitt and they came back to tie it? I think it was 31-31. I was in high school. Had to have been in late 80’s

The only rush to hire was Bill Stewart.
That’s debatable. We interviewed 3 people after Holgorsen resigned and picked Neal Brown less than 6-7 days after Holgorsen resigned. Of those 3, one was Tony Gibson. So it was either Brown or Fickel. And I believe Fickel said no. Was that a thorough search? Honest question?

What year was it when we were way up on Pitt and they came back to tie it? I think it was 31-31. I was in high school. Had to have been in late 80’s
Yes we were up 31-9 going into the 4th quarter. It was October 1, 1989.

Reactions: locustwv
That’s debatable. We interviewed 3 people after Holgorsen resigned and picked Neal Brown less than 6-7 days after Holgorsen resigned. Of those 3, one was Tony Gibson. So it was either Brown or Fickel. And I believe Fickel said no. Was that a thorough search? Honest question?
Brown was considered top hire by many around the country and media moguls on ESPN and FOX claimed WVU got steal. Boy they were wrong again. Time was running out as LOI day was fast approaching. He wasn't hired until January 4th 2019.

Fickle was their top choice but he never wanted to be here. Wasted most of the search to try and reel him in. A good AD will have a handy short list of prospects ready and on hand even after hiring someone.

No team can guarantee a home run hire. Any coach would end up being an experiment.
You cant guarantee a home run, but you can almost guarantee a better hire than Neal Brown. He is wasting a brand new 55 million dollar remodeled facility. The dude is a program wrecker and has to go. Even Dana is better than Neal Brown.

I don't criticize current WVU representatives for the sport of it like many fake fans do. I have no problem with the hire of Brown and very few in Mountaineer nation did either that was voiced. Some bad results with teams that were not talented or had depth coupled with the contract extension seems to be all the crap started. And it has gotten out of hand. Why would any good coach want to come to this school with such negative crap? Only reason is most fan bases are as bad or worse.

I don't criticize current WVU representatives for the sport of it like many fake fans do. I have no problem with the hire of Brown and very few in Mountaineer nation did either that was voiced. Some bad results with teams that were not talented or had depth coupled with the contract extension seems to be all the crap started. And it has gotten out of hand. Why would any good coach want to come to this school with such negative crap? Only reason is most fan bases are as bad or worse.
You are lame if you don't think wvu can get a good coach. Only the worst of fans would think that. There is no more negative crap going on at WVU than anywhere else who is experiencing the worst 5 year stretch in 40 years with a bad coach. What do you expect, for fans not to notice lol? Most schools would be much worse tbh. We can't all be forest gumps though Bru. Some of us actually pay attention...

The national media is not down with brown. It's not the fans it's brown brining it on himself. You think kirk herbby gets on wvu social media to read the comments lol? Pull your head out of your ass. The national media made their own judgment of brown and it wasn't good. You want the circus to continue, then stick with brown.

Last edited:
Brown was considered top hire by many around the country and media moguls on ESPN and FOX claimed WVU got steal. Boy they were wrong again. Time was running out as LOI day was fast approaching. He wasn't hired until January 4th 2019.

Fickle was their top choice but he never wanted to be here. Wasted most of the search to try and reel him in. A good AD will have a handy short list of prospects ready and on hand even after hiring someone.
So it was less than 6-7 days. Holgorsen resigned after Jan 1st

You cant guarantee a home run, but you can almost guarantee a better hire than Neal Brown. He is wasting a brand new 55 million dollar remodeled facility. The dude is a program wrecker and has to go. Even Dana is better than Neal Brown.
Obviously, when a program gets rid of a head coach, they assume they can do better, but that is an assumption and it definitely doesn't always play out that way. Dana isn't even meeting the standard that was set by Houston's AD when they got rid of their last coach.

Reactions: WESTBGVA and WVUBRU
Obviously, when a program gets rid of a head coach, they assume they can do better, but that is an assumption and it definitely doesn't always play out that way. Dana isn't even meeting the standard that was set by Houston's AD when they got rid of their last coach.
Totally agree with that. Never in a million years did I expect Neal Brown to be this bad when we hired him. I was definitely very on board with it until it became obvious. I'm sure houston feels much the same about dana

Some guys coaching at a small school (ex. Troy) don't feel any pressure to perform and are loose, coach loose, and usually if they are good perform well. However, many get to the Power 5 team and they suddenly are met with expectations, fanbase pressures, and recruiting at a different level than they are accustomed to.

I feel like this has been Brown's problem. I think he's a good X's and O's guy. And I think he's a quality person and leader of men. But I think it's the "pressure" at this level that has gotten to him.

Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time. Just my observation.

Reactions: spartansstink
Some guys coaching at a small school (ex. Troy) don't feel any pressure to perform and are loose, coach loose, and usually if they are good perform well. However, many get to the Power 5 team and they suddenly are met with expectations, fanbase pressures, and recruiting at a different level than they are accustomed to.

I feel like this has been Brown's problem. I think he's a good X's and O's guy. And I think he's a quality person and leader of men. But I think it's the "pressure" at this level that has gotten to him.

I think had Brown come here as little as 10 year ago, things may be different. He was met with an ignorant woke culture who chose to side with some idiotic player from Charleston and fired his DC. Whom I believe was the key to his success. Add in the fact he had to navigate through the new transfer portal process and NIL, I think it became too much for him. Translation, he couldn’t adapt.

I think had Brown come here as little as 10 year ago, things may be different. He was met with an ignorant woke culture who chose to side with some idiotic player from Charleston and fired his DC. Whom I believe was the key to his success. Add in the fact he had to navigate through the new transfer portal process and NIL, I think it became too much for him. Translation, he couldn’t adapt.
Best post you've ever made. Spot on.

Well stated.

Where is the evidence that he is a good x and o guy? His offenses suck, and if he gets a 3 point lead he lets off the gas and goes into lets play all the backups mode. He makes a lot of head scratching calls and bad in game decisions.

Quality person, sure, but a true Leader of men is debatable. He has blamed players, refs, assistant coaches, schedules, covid, NIL, etc on his 16-22 B12 record and its hard to even listen to his pc's anymore. What he hasnt really done is take accountability himself and put it on his shoulders like a true leader would.

Vic was the reason for his success. Too bad for them both that Neal lacked the gonads to stand up for Vic and put his foot down. If he did, or even took accountability for this shitshow himself, it wouldve been much harder to write him off, but I'm done with the dude. He has shown nothing.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Where is the evidence that he is a good x and o guy? His offenses suck, and if he gets a 3 point lead he lets off the gas and goes into lets play all the backups mode. He makes a lot of head scratching calls and bad in game decisions.

Quality person, sure, but a true Leader of men is debatable. He has blamed players, refs, assistant coaches, schedules, covid, NIL, etc on his 16-22 B12 record and its hard to even listen to his pc's anymore. What he hasnt really done is take accountability himself and put it on his shoulders like a true leader would.

Vic was the reason for his success. Too bad for them both that Neal lacked the gonads to stand up for Vic and put his foot down. If he did, or even took accountability for this shitshow himself, it wouldve been much harder to write him off, but I'm done with the dude. He has shown nothing.
Neal was Texas Tech OC/QB coach when they kicked the shit out of Holgorsen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT