ADVERTISEMENT

Just when I was started to like Dana (a little)

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2002
We now know Dana was offered a contract to extend his years at WVU with a raise, but he turned it down (and we know have recruits saying the program is not stable).

Dana is holding our program hostage. In part do to a bad deal Clements and Luck gave him.

I hope all your guys that bullied people on this board for not buying into what Clements and Luck were selling with Dana can now see the signs along the way that made this outcome obvious. Some of us that have been around the program for decades know understand that hiring people is not like playing some game of moving pieces around on a board. Clements, Luck, and Dana were all new to jobs that leaves Gee and Lyons in a position fix a big problem.

I wonder what all the message board bullies say now that they know they are wrong.

We now know Dana was offered a contract to extend his years at WVU with a raise, but he turned it down (and we know have recruits saying the program is not stable).

Dana is holding our program hostage. In part do to a bad deal Clements and Luck gave him.

I hope all your guys that bullied people on this board for not buying into what Clements and Luck were selling with Dana can now see the signs along the way that made this outcome obvious. Some of us that have been around the program for decades now understand that hiring people is not like playing some game of moving pieces around on a board. Clements, Luck, and Dana were all new to jobs that leaves Gee and Lyons in a position fix a big problem.

I wonder what all the message board bullies say now that they know they are wrong.
at least get the story right. Dana was offered a reduced contract extension with a reduced buyout. Not a raise. It was a paycut.

I hope all your guys that bullied people on this board for not buying into what Clements and Luck were selling with Dana can now see the signs along the way that made this outcome obvious. Some of us that have been around the program for decades know understand that hiring people is not like playing some game of moving pieces around on a board. Clements, Luck, and Dana were all new to jobs that leaves Gee and Lyons in a position fix a big problem.

This is a ridiculous post. You can't blame Dana for turning down an offer that would most likely result in him losing millions of dollars. If Lyons doesn't think Dana is capable of the job, then he has the option to fire him.

Clements and Luck were both good at their jobs. Stop letting Mickey do all your thinking.

at least get the story right. Dana was offered a reduced contract extension with a reduced buyout. Not a raise. It was a paycut.
Dana was offered a small raise for two years with a one year guaranteed. Seemed faired to me.

Dana was offered a small raise for two years with a one year guaranteed. Seemed faired to me.

Then when someone offers you a similar deal, take it. It obviously wasn't good enough for Dana and it's his decision. Lyons was the one who turned this all public. So if recruits are questioning our program, it's because Lyons put private business out for public consumption.

This is a ridiculous post. You can't blame Dana for turning down an offer that would most likely result in him losing millions of dollars. If Lyons doesn't think Dana is capable of the job, then he has the option to fire him.

Clements and Luck were both good at their jobs. Stop letting Mickey do all your thinking.
And we don't have the money to buy him out.

WHO in America gets 100% of their contract guaranteed?

Good contracts have a guaranteed part and a incentive package that is not guaranteed. It was a stupid deal.

Then when someone offers you a similar deal, take it. It obviously wasn't good enough for Dana and it's his decision. Lyons was the one who turned this all public. So if recruits are questioning our program, it's because Lyons put private business out for public consumption.
problem is recruits are now saying the program is not stable.

and its not because Lyons went public but because recruits know he only has two years left

And we don't have the money to buy him out.

WHO in America gets 100% of their contract guaranteed?

Good contracts have a guaranteed part and a incentive package that is not guaranteed. It was a stupid deal.

Answer: Dana Holgorsen.

I agree that was a bad deal Luck cut, but that's the deal he's got. Can't blame him for that.

and its not because Lyons went public but because recruits know he only has two years left

Right, no need to speculate and rumor when our own AD publicly makes him a lame duck. That was a terrible decision by Lyons.

With friends like him, who needs enemies.

problem is recruits are now saying the program is not stable.

They're saying it because it's true. We just lost a good assistance because he felt the same. Lyons confirmed the instability himself, in public. Way to go, Shane [thumb2]

They're saying it because it's true. We just lost a good assistance because he felt the same. Lyons confirmed the instability himself, in public. Way to go, Shane [thumb2]
we would not have instability if Dana had taken the contract offer. Basically was for one more year, whats the harm?

He thinks he can win 10 games and get another 5 years while holding us hostage.

we would not have instability if Dana had taken the contract offer. Basically was for one more year, whats the harm?

He thinks he can win 10 games and get another 5 years while holding us hostage.

No coach is obligated to take any offer a school serves up. You know that. The new deal wasn't a good one for him. I respect that. I wish they made a deal. I wish the program was in a position that no one could speculate about Dana's future - but it's not. Dana would have been a fool to take that deal. He's doing what we all would do, and protecting himself financially. He'll get a chance in 2016 to prove more as a coach.

He's not holding anyone hostage. He's keeping the deal WVU gave him. That's it. You can't blame a man for that, you'd do the same.

The harm is he'd lose $3 million dollars.

I didn't realize recruits have made comments. Links ?? ....I'd be interested in reading some them.

Reactions: EERS 2 Ya
I didn't realize recruits have made comments. Links ?? ....I'd be interested in reading some them.

5150 is saying that, I don't know if it's true or not. I don't follow recruiting much. If they are making comments regarding stability, I wouldn't disagree.

Dana is one man working under a contract. WVU is a multi-billion dollar organization. To suggest Dana has WVU under hostage is stupid.

If they want his butt gone, fire him. Lick your wounds and move on.

I don't blame Dana for not taking the offer. I certainly don't blame WVU for wisely not making him a more favorable offer.

From Dana's standpoint, unless he truly believed it was likely WVU will be good enough in 2016 that at the very least he would be allowed to return in 2017, taking the offer would have meant likely getting less money from WVU, because he now gets paid for 2017 no matter what happens in 2016.

I don't think Dana is very bright but I do think he has enough of a clue to get that the likelihood we will do well enough in 2016 for him to be retained is very low and it's prudent for him not to bet on his own success and take the bird in hand.

From WVU's perspective, extending Dana's contract without extracting concessions in consideration would be beyond the irresponsible and foolish move by Luck that got us in this mess and be downright insane since we have Luck's blunder from which to learn.

Answer: Dana Holgorsen.

I agree that was a bad deal Luck cut, but that's the deal he's got. Can't blame him for that.
oh, so its a bad deal now, two posts above you were taking up for Clements and Luck. Look, Dana is looking out for himself and leaving us hanging.

If recruits are saying that the Mountaineers program is not stable then they must be saying this about many other programs as well. Bring me the list of schools that recruits are saying that about. I'll bet LSU and Texas and Tennessee and many others are on the list.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Dana is one man working under a contract. WVU is a multi-billion dollar organization. To suggest Dana has WVU under hostage is stupid.

If they want his butt gone, fire him. Lick your wounds and move on.
they don't have the money. $3 million X 3 = $9 Million. we didn't have that kind of money.

oh, so its a bad deal now, two posts above you were taking up for Clements and Luck. Look, Dana is looking out for himself and leaving us hanging.

Exactly. I'm not biased or have an agenda. I can separate situations as I feel necessary. I do feel Luck and Clements were both great, although I thought Dana's deal was too generous. Too be fair I thought Huggin's was too.

Of course Dana is looking out for himself. What else should he do? He's a human being and a father. That's what everyone does. You think he's gonna look out for a bunch of whiny message board posters who hate him anyways? LOL.

When Stewart tried his dirty tricks, he was just looking out for himself too. When RR was leveraging offers, he was just looking out for himself too. You catching on yet?

The board bullies will still be spouting the same BS.

Reactions: GoWVU
Exactly. I'm not biased or have an agenda. I can separate situations as I feel necessary. I do feel Luck and Clements were both great, although I thought Dana's deal was too generous. Too be fair I thought Huggin's was too.

Of course Dana is looking out for himself. What else should he do? He's a human being and a father. That's what everyone does. You think he's gonna look out for a bunch of whiny message board posters who hate him anyways? LOL.

When Stewart tried his dirty tricks, he was just looking out for himself too. When RR was leveraging offers, he was just looking out for himself too. You catching on yet?
Yes, and the anti Stew crowd went nuts over Bill taking up for what he thought was right. Rod sued WVU and the fan base went nuts and now Dana is doing this crap and administration at fault.

Dana wont meet with alumni, he wont travel the state giving talks and promoting the University, and has no interest in raising money. He just wants to call plays on offense.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
and the outcome is we have coach with less then two yrs left on his contract and recruits know it

So who are you mad at? You're going to begrudge a man just because he's forcing his employer to live up to their end of a bargain?

Lyons is the one carrying our competitions water. Like I said, with friends like him who needs enemies.

Yes, and the anti Stew crowd went nuts over Bill taking up for what he thought was right. Rod sued WVU and the fan base went nuts and now Dana is doing this crap and administration at fault.

Dana wont meet with alumni, he wont travel the state giving talks and promoting the University, and has no interest in raising money. He just wants to call plays on offense.

Your hatred for Dana is clouding your judgment on this issue. All the man did was maintain his current deal.

LOL - Well then perhaps something is rotten in Morgantown. Three straight coaches, three straight circuses with three straight Athletic Directors.

WVU offered an extension that would have allowed Holgorsen to tell recruits, “Look, we’re signed through 2019.” But said extension, and the public appearance of job security, would have attached the caveat of a liquidated damages provision, whereby Holgorsen could be bought out after next season for less than the $2.9 million he was guaranteed under the coach-friendly contract initially negotiated by Oliver Luck.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/02/22/the-lunch-impasse-on-holgorsen-extension-not-a-failure-by-lyons/

If the extension offered by Lyons took guaranteed money off the table, the failure to reach an extension is on Lyons. Who signs a deal that gives back money and makes it easier to be fired?

WVU offered an extension that would have allowed Holgorsen to tell recruits, “Look, we’re signed through 2019.” But said extension, and the public appearance of job security, would have attached the caveat of a liquidated damages provision, whereby Holgorsen could be bought out after next season for less than the $2.9 million he was guaranteed under the coach-friendly contract initially negotiated by Oliver Luck.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/02/22/the-lunch-impasse-on-holgorsen-extension-not-a-failure-by-lyons/

If the extension offered by Lyons took guaranteed money off the table, the failure to reach an extension is on Lyons. Who signs a deal that gives back money and makes it easier to be fired?

Dana can be let go with a $0 buyout next year. Try not to forget that little aspect of this.

Dana can be let go with a $0 buyout next year. Try not to forget that little aspect of this.

He has two seasons left. So after next season, if he were fired he'd receive an additional year salary. That's how I understand it.

I'm an alum, and I've met him and know many others that have as well, so you are wrong there.

traveling the state promoting the university = not his job,

raising money = not his job

calling plays = his job.

you are clueless sir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT