ADVERTISEMENT

Judge declares mistrial in fatal police shooting of Walter Scott

You are never going to convince me BLM is needed. It's had quite the opposite affect of its intentions which I still don't even know what they are. In fact, because I've been directly impacted by their bullshit, they've actually succeeded in turning me against them. This feeling has nothing to do with racism.

Let me preface the next position with this statement. I think the cop is guilty as hell. With that said, the kid would be alive if he hadn't pissed off a man with a gun by fighting with him and stealing his tazer. Respect the authority, respect the position, respect the gun, even if you don't respect the man. BLM should turn their protests to community outreach about teaching people to behave. But what do we get? Marching down the goddamn interstate during rush hour while I'm trying to get home. Stop allowing yourself to be a victim, make the necessary changes and you won't be a victim. I'm not talking about insurmountable stuff either, easy shit like, don't break the law, don't argue and be openly disrespectful to cops, don't do drugs, etc. You know, assimilate with the current and acceptable cultural norms and decorum. Once that stuff starts to happen, I'll give more than a casual snort when I step over them to get on the escalator in the mall and cut a wicked gasser (true story) as I did it.

Can't disagree with any of this.

I understand why it started, and I do think it started for legitimate reasons but then a bunch of opportunists jumped on board and turned it into a counter-productive movement.

You have the incident that started this thread ... it's nearly impossible to believe that race had nothing to do with this, and none of us on this board have been part of the systemic problem that many of them face.

However, as has been said by you and others ... don't do crime, when you get stopped comply, don't do anything to escalate situations. When something happens in your neighborhood, actually HELP the police in the investigation. You can't have an us against them mentality (regardless of what the root causes were/are) and not expect problems.

Reactions: Airport
Can't disagree with any of this.

I understand why it started, and I do think it started for legitimate reasons but then a bunch of opportunists jumped on board and turned it into a counter-productive movement.

You have the incident that started this thread ... it's nearly impossible to believe that race had nothing to do with this, and none of us on this board have been part of the systemic problem that many of them face.

However, as has been said by you and others ... don't do crime, when you get stopped comply, don't do anything to escalate situations. When something happens in your neighborhood, actually HELP the police in the investigation. You can't have an us against them mentality (regardless of what the root causes were/are) and not expect problems.

Do you think that part of the problem is that young blacks are raised to disrespect authority and that police are the enemy?

Do you think that part of the problem is that young blacks are raised to disrespect authority and that police are the enemy?
Impoverished black communities often have an adversarial relationship with police, and it’s not one-sided. It’s cyclic and the police are starting to become more community friendly to break the cycle.

Reactions: WhiteTailEER

What Cajuneer said ... although I would say that it is probably relatively prevalent in any impoverished community. I do think there is some bias with police that isn't necessarily or always racial.

So, let's say you or I are driving down the highway in our Mercedes' and our business casual work clothes and we're speeding. Do you think the police would be more likely or less likely to let us off with a warning than somebody with long shaggy hair, scruffy beard, dirty clothes and a car that barely looks like it should even be able to go that fast?

Or, maybe there's a domestic disturbance in our nice suburban homes vs. the trailer park. Which is probably more likely to result in somebody going away in handcuffs?

I can't speak to how the young blacks in those communities are raised, but I do think they grow up in a community that's distrustful of authority in general and they pick up on it. I can't imagine them actually being taught to be disrespectful ... but I really don't have any idea.

Impoverished black communities often have an adversarial relationship with police, and it’s not one-sided. It’s cyclic and the police are starting to become more community friendly to break the cycle.

From what I've seen and heard, these efforts are working rather well. Or maybe I've only heard the good stories.

I guess the black music community has yet to hear about this. The music is horrible in it's portrayal of black lives. Of course, one could blame big govt for the way that these impoverish areas have been formed.

What Cajuneer said ... although I would say that it is probably relatively prevalent in any impoverished community. I do think there is some bias with police that isn't necessarily or always racial.

So, let's say you or I are driving down the highway in our Mercedes' and our business casual work clothes and we're speeding. Do you think the police would be more likely or less likely to let us off with a warning than somebody with long shaggy hair, scruffy beard, dirty clothes and a car that barely looks like it should even be able to go that fast?

Or, maybe there's a domestic disturbance in our nice suburban homes vs. the trailer park. Which is probably more likely to result in somebody going away in handcuffs?

I can't speak to how the young blacks in those communities are raised, but I do think they grow up in a community that's distrustful of authority in general and they pick up on it. I can't imagine them actually being taught to be disrespectful ... but I really don't have any idea.
Depends where you are at in that Mercedes there Big City!

I'll say this, I've gotten out of more tickets or had them downgraded by being extremely polite, respectful, acknowledging obvious fault, and being apologetic.

I guess the black music community has yet to hear about this. The music is horrible in it's portrayal of black lives. Of course, one could blame big govt for the way that these impoverish areas have been formed.
I regularly work in volunteer ministries in these areas. My wife has made a career teaching in inner city schools. There are many problems and many people to blame.

From what I've seen and heard, these efforts are working rather well. Or maybe I've only heard the good stories.
I saw a pioneer effort in LA. Still a big challenge but moving in the right direction.

I regularly work in volunteer ministries in these areas. My wife has made a career teaching in inner city schools. There are many problems and many people to blame.

REligious ministries? Say it ain't so, Joe.

Depends where you are at in that Mercedes there Big City!

I'll say this, I've gotten out of more tickets or had them downgraded by being extremely polite, respectful, acknowledging obvious fault, and being apologetic.

I always do the same, I've received 2 tickets in the last 10 years or so. One for not having my seatbelt on, and the other because my tags had expired, and then I got a ticket for a suspended license because when I sent in my fine for the seatbelt the year or so before, it never got processed. I never got any kind of other notice at all, so assumed all was well only to find out that apparently my license had been suspended for not paying it.

I didn't make that argument with the cop giving me a ticket, but I just asked him if it said why my license had been suspended, that's the only way I knew it was from the seatbelt thing. Stay calm, stay polite. You will get to make your case in court, in front of the cop is not the time to try to make your case.

I got a little perspective on a cop's life ... the slightest little glimpse and it made me understand a little bit more. I semi-witnessed an accident in which a girl was severely injured. Head injury, going in and out of consciousness, bleeding. I left once the paremedics and police got on the scene, but for the rest of my drive I became even more aware of people doing stupid things and would get more agitated by it than usual because of what had just happened to this girl. That's a cop's life all day every day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT